As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pre-PAX Boardgame Night: Ep. 2016, THE DICE AWAKEN

• GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I've organized large events like this for business, the rental fees are crazy (no doubt $10k or more for this amount of space, as Lexi said) there's no way with just alcohol that the event would make that much, and given the staffing levels (2-3 employees to setup and tear down, cleaning people, bartender, employee host to handle any issues, etc) we probably will have a hard time giving them cost back. I'm not going because of work, and I donated $10 because I want this event to still be here next year when hopefully I can come. We aren't talking a big donation. If you don't have $5-$10 to chip in that's fine, but most of us have at least that much.

GhostDan on
  • FastrFastr Registered User regular
    100? Someone's a baller! Glad to see the donations are so high!

I don't want to give my credit card or any other info to gofundme. I'm sure others feel the same. The jar will get some attention.

• jayh0vajayh0va Registered User regular
  • MythrilRobMythrilRob Registered User regular
    Fastr is right. I'm not a big fan of GoFundMe. I will be visiting that jar when I get the opportunity. It's my first time participating in the Board Game Night but I can only imagine just how much effort went into making this happen.

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    So here's my own position: It's about number of contributors, not the overall amount. If everybody chipped in 25 cents and we got contributions from the whole community that only amounted to $50, that would be amazing and would show how important this is to everyone and would be a really valuable effort. At the end of the day, participation is more important than the amount of cash raised.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
    edited April 2016
    BTW, I'm bringing one game: Drunk Quest.

LexiconGrrl on
  • aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    see you there @LexiconGrrl .... our flights depart in 24 hours .. woohoo #PaxBound

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    So here's my own position: It's about number of contributors, not the overall amount. If everybody chipped in 25 cents and we got contributions from the whole community that only amounted to $50, that would be amazing and would show how important this is to everyone and would be a really valuable effort. At the end of the day, participation is more important than the amount of cash raised.

I know exactly how this feels due to last years Challenge Coin Die fee. (Shaming works! :hydra:)

I noticed the donation link today (I've been distracted by coins) so I threw some money at it.

Now my job is to not be super shy, and to actually play some damn boardgames.

• robirexrobirex BostonRegistered User regular

How have I not heard of this game? I want.

6pq9je4.png
  • FastrFastr Registered User regular
    Hellz yeah!

Also, Geeknigjts brought up the donation on their podcast!

Less than 40 hours and we're almost up to $600. I'm getting very excited!!!

https://www.gofundme.com/PrePAXGameNight

npyymaqh3gup.png
    You guys are awesome for your enthusiasm and it's been much appreciated, but there's probably been enough bumping for the fundraiser and it's time to get back to the main topic, which is games.

• VermillionDeVermillionDe Registered User regular
    I'm bringing the Order of the Stick game (if I can make it up in time). I'd love to bring something like Sentinels of the Multiverse or Arkham Horror but I'm not sure I want to break my back bringing all the expansions or not.

I'm bringing the Order of the Stick game (if I can make it up in time). I'd love to bring something like Sentinels of the Multiverse or Arkham Horror but I'm not sure I want to break my back bringing all the expansions or not.

I wouldn't bring expansions - just bring the core set(s), there will be plenty to play!

• VermillionDeVermillionDe Registered User regular
    12tafz.jpg

I mean Arkham, maybe. But Sentinels?...

• SwordnStoneSwordnStone Registered User regular
    I'll be there with Betrayal at House on the Hill, like every year. I'm also going to bring Forbidden Desert, and maybe either Small World or Red Dragon Inn. I'm always looking for more people to play with and I'll teach anyone who wants to learn! (We're the table that runs 9 player games of Betrayal, because why not!) See everyone there!

Quit now and cake will be served immediately.
  • monkoshmonkosh NYCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Here are the list of games in the bag right now:
    Jab (cool 2 player boxing game)
    San Juan (card game of Puerto Rico)
    Betrayal at the House on the Hill
    7 Wonders
    Forbidden Island
    and a few smaller card games

monkosh on
    iec5nehi4ot3.png
    My games in the bag now:
    Dead of Winter
    Betrayal at the House on the Hill
    Pandemic
    Resistance
    Odious Censor
    Exploding Kittens

6pq9je4.png
  • KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    I managed to sneak Orleans and Codenames into my bag. I'm stuck working all weekend, so won't get to PAX, but at least I can pre-PAX boardgame!

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    Will be comings depending on how late my dinner goes, bringing sushi go @LexiconGrrl you are still planning to accept donations on site correct?

• iltailta Registered User regular
    Khadour wrote: »
    I managed to sneak Orleans and Codenames into my bag. I'm stuck working all weekend, so won't get to PAX, but at least I can pre-PAX boardgame!

Oh man, I NEED to play Orleans. Hope I can find you today!

robirex wrote: »

How have I not heard of this game? I want.
    They've even got a "Porcelain Gods" expansion coming out this year that allows non drinkers (DDs) to fuck with their drunk buddies on an epic scale.

b5z3shxs6fc9.jpg

The game space is set up and we're just getting signage up in the lobbies.

• CylonCylon Boston, MARegistered User new member
    A bit late to post this I guess but I'll be coming with the following games and some friends:

Star Realms (original and Colony Wars)
    Epic Card Game
    Roll for the Galaxy
    Tiny Epic Galaxies
    Codenames

• LimondLimond Registered User regular
    I'll be there eventually with Star Fluxx and Flame War.

One clip, one kill.

I am a monster truck that walks like a man.
    So sad. Sitting here in the corner, Drunk Quest is all laid out, nobody wants to play with me :(.

Le Sigh.

So sad. Sitting here in the corner, Drunk Quest is all laid out, nobody wants to play with me :(.

Le Sigh.

Where are youuuuu

6pq9je4.png
  • DrainDrain [E] Tabletop Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    I LIKE WHAT YOU GOT! GOOD JOB!

7291BE5D-3E62-4B23-9FD3-F48F6BC3C7C7.jpg

N9pjfAk.png
    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time." - Tycho
    This is amazing! We're looking for 2-3 more for Secret Hitler at table 25

npyymaqh3gup.png
    robirex wrote: »

Le Sigh.

Where are youuuuu

Table 31, but we're done now.

• The_MadHatter_The_MadHatter_ Registered User regular
    Anyone still doing this and looking for players?

PSN ID, Steam: The_MadHatter_
  • LimondLimond Registered User regular
    Had a good time, taught some Flame War to people and played a few games. Gave some money to cookie brigade and the Spa fund. Bar was super expensive but still had fun.

One clip, one kill.

I am a monster truck that walks like a man.
  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Games were played, cookies and alcohol were bought, lexicongirl did not look like chthulhu so I had no idea who she was and couldn't thank her in person.

Lexi, I didn't see you on the way out, but I wanted to say THANK YOU SO MUCH for getting tonight together. I've been paxing for a few years now and that was one of the best nights I've ever had.

We're headed to the seaport district for dinner tomorrow... if you're in the area, I want to buy you a drink. Also keep us posted in the fundraiser!

npyymaqh3gup.png
    That was such a fun night. What a way to kick off my first Pax. I learned about some very awesome games that I will totally be buying soon. Secret Hitler and Red Dragon Inn. Love them! Thanks so much for putting this together and thanks so much to everyone that showed up. I met some really awesome people last night. If anyone want to get together again this weekend I'd totally be down.

6pq9je4.png
  • craiolacraiola MARegistered User regular
    I had so much fun last night! Thank you for putting this together Lexi!

DXLJjjr.png
  • klzklz Registered User regular
    Looking forward to hearing the total. Hopefully my group's contributions helped to get her the well-deserved spa day!

edited April 2016
    Thanks so much to everybody who contributed! I'm not posting the total here - feel free to send me a PM if you want to know it (or anything else). Being part of a community that comes together for a cause is part of what makes PAXers the best people in the world.

See you all at Prime West!

LexiconGrrl on
  • TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    Pretty much all the games I was interested in seemed loaded so I ended up playing joust most of the night while I was there but that was an absolute blast. Pretty damn impressive to see everything set up down there, great job getting it all together!

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    SutibunRi wrote: »
    Games were played, cookies and alcohol were bought, lexicongirl did not look like chthulhu so I had no idea who she was and couldn't thank her in person.

I think I actually got to play a game with @LexiconGrrl early in the evening she's pretty fun.

This was my first year hitting up the pre PAX boardgames. Got to play a few board games (love letters, CAH, and boss monster) and my first few games ever of Johan Sebastian Joust, a game I've been trying to track down at PAX for years.

Between, the board games, Joust, and a video game on my phone I was well descended into paxing less than an hour out of work. This event was awesome, and it really felt like a full on expansion to the con.

Thanks to everyone who pitched in and let me start my con on Thursday evening instead of Friday morning.

I hope to see you all next year!