As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - PATV - First 15 – Earth Defense Force 4.1

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited April 2016 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - PATV - First 15 – Earth Defense Force 4.1

Gabe and Tycho play a game for 15 minutes and then judge it accordingly. This week they play Earth Defense Force 4.1. You can watch the full length version of this episode here.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• applefatapplefat Registered User regular
    I thought, that game engine looks extremely familiar--too familiar for coincidence. Sure enough, it's got the same developer as "Robot Alchemic Drive", a weird yet intriguing giant robot game from PS2 era... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_Alchemic_Drive

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    People say the guys are too harsh on the games they play, and sometimes I agree (though given the format I can't really find much fault with them). But BOY were they generous with this one.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I dunno man, I haven't played this particular installment, but there's a joy to the Earth Defense Force games that can't be denied, once you let them into your heart.

• QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    I've played most of the EDF games, as well as the predecessor to them all, Robot Alchemic Drive. What I can say about the developer, and especially the localization team, is they utterly embrace the schlocky cheesey sci-fi B-movie bullshit you'd get from Syfy and Asylum productions. It's one of those few series that thrives on bad production values on purpose, because it's what you expect. If you can embrace what they represent, they become an absolute JOY to group with friends to play, to mock, to laugh about.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • DeVoreDeVore Registered User new member
    "I think there's friendly fire"
    "Let me check..." *switches to rocketlauncher* LOL

"What happened over there"
    "I blew a building up...." ... on top of you.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    EDF games are intentionally campy/cheesy/cheap looking. They were originally part of an entire set of games devoted to being cheap and low-budget.

Sucks that they didn't release this on the One though, but eh. So it goes.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    The EDF games with some drinks and a friend or two is a great way to enjoy a day. Needs to be on PC though.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • BehrditzBehrditz Registered User regular
    It sucks they didnt get enough time to touch on the real joy of these games: The batshit insane weapons. You can get a missile launcher that fires a missile that flies at like one mile per hour, but explodes huge. Or a nuclear hand grenade you cant throw more than 5 feet. The Air Raider class is all about vehicles, including a 50 foot robot fortress.

• drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    EDF is so bad, but sooooo goooood.
    darkmayo wrote: »
    The EDF games with some drinks and a friend or two is a great way to enjoy a day. Needs to be on PC though.
    You're in luck! Because there is an EDF title on Steam!

drunkenpandaren on
    Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun