As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2016 Cosplay Thread

• Options
    Drowning RabbitDrowning Rabbit New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    http://i.imgur.com/RhDwfiZ.jpg

Here is a better image of the patch, ordered from Amazon for like $4

This is the paint I bought, just got it from a craft store, I believe the one I grabbed it from was Hobby Lobby:

http://i.imgur.com/xQUY6jY.jpg

Figured it was easier to show the bottle instead of describe it. It looks much larger in the picture than it is, it is only 4 oz.

Took about 4 coats, and she free handed a design similar to the hotline Miami skull designs she found on Etsy. Just cut out a stencil from poster board and used a sponge brush to apply it, she didn't use the spray tip of the bottle at all.

Drowning Rabbit on
  • Options
    EscoBladesEscoBlades Product Marketing Manager at Ubisoft Registered User regular
    Hosting an Assassin's Creed cosplay meetup on the Saturday of PAX East.

Deets - https://www.facebook.com/events/1689281011390529/

tHBv9m5.png
    Product Marketing Manager on Watch Dogs: Legion
    Youtube | Twitter
  • Options
    jddyslexiajddyslexia Registered User regular
    There's 4 of us doing a Hyrule Warriors group on Saturday. This weekend is "Cosplay Sweatshop Weekend". Fabric, paint, foam, wigs, the whole nine yards.

• Options
    Nara_HaleNara_Hale Registered User regular
    Couldn't get a full body shot, but here's a selfie of what part of my Callie cosplay looks like at least!
    Any Maries?

6crybuvpian3.jpg

• Options
    builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I'm so excited to see everyone's cosplays!! I've been trying to find time to work on my swords, but it's a challenge between finals and work :? They will get done though!

builderr0r on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SepiothSepioth Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Just started my annual two week vacation from work for PAX :)

Now it's time to finish up the cosplay.... well after a nap first.

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • Options
    ladyfenharelladyfenharel Registered User new member
    never jumped on a PAX forum before despite going every year heh

so ya why not mentioned what im building this time around, ive got a full suit of T60 Brotherhood of Steel Power Armor just about ready as well as full sized motorized Minigun and Gatling Laser (for my wife doing Elder Maxson crossplay)

hope everyone has a good PAX and if you see me walking around check if i have any Nuka Cola caps left

This sounds AMAZING. I'm hoping Bethesda has a panel so we can have a Fallout cosplay meetup.

Cannot WAIT to see that!! Also excited for a Silver Shroud costume Midnyght- here's hoping for a Fallout panel!! I'm hoping to finish Piper Wright for myself and a Sole Survivor for my sister. So excited!

Ooo! Piper!
    Between this thread (A Nick, Maxson, Power armor) and my twitter friends who are doing Fahrenheit and a ghoul and a few sole survivors we've got almost the whole crew already.

Ha! Perfect :)

• Options
    AmanoUsagiAmanoUsagi Registered User regular
    Is there a time and place where people go to be photographed? Like a gathering of a bunch of cosplayers and photographers?

In the name of the moon.....
  • Options
    AmanoUsagi wrote: »
    Is there a time and place where people go to be photographed? Like a gathering of a bunch of cosplayers and photographers?

There are some scheduled photo shoots where people are organizing groups and photographers. Looking through this thread, I see photo shoots for Fallout, RWBY, and Assassin's Creed. I can say that RWBY probably won't have a professional photographer as we don't really have the committed numbers, but I'm ok with that. Seems like the others have garnered plenty of interest.

Chances are, you'll see plenty of people taking photos, either as fans or professionals. If you snoop around the forums a bit, you'll see other photographers posting that they are willing to book sessions (though maybe not last minute at this point), but that will cost you their services (no discussions of costs on the forums, take it to PMs).

• Options
    GuhzoontightGuhzoontight A Goof Who Makes Things Registered User regular
    I finished my Rajang! :D I have to fix my horns though since they don't wanna sit on my head with a headband. Dang ponytails are in the way.
    Also was to put the spikes on when I was getting dressed up in it all.

untqcshkl405.jpg
    8n81gm8u4uuz.jpg

• Options
    That's so great! Love Monster Hunter and seeing it come to life is amazing! I'll put up a picture of my completed Biker tonight. Hopefully I can get the patch sewn on for a little extra security tonight as well.

• Options
    Some of our progress from what my wife has dubbed "Cosplay Sweatshop Weekend"

7gwj54z8lwei.jpg

rqf4scqvlhtc.jpg

idz9j9xsldk4.jpg

• Options
    JonnyRuckusJonnyRuckus Best in the World/Ghostbuster New HampshireRegistered User regular
    So friends are making me nervous about not getting in with my costume, is there anyway I could check to see if it's possible? I'm doing a Crazy Taxi costume with the car. PLEASE HELP!

8fmjj0nqj1ua.jpg

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I don't know why you wouldn't be allowed in. They might take some time to inspect it, but I don't see anything that jumps out to me as "no chance." I am not an official word on this at all though, so do not take my word for it.

Also, that is a great costume!

• Options
    So friends are making me nervous about not getting in with my costume, is there anyway I could check to see if it's possible? I'm doing a Crazy Taxi costume with the car. PLEASE HELP!

Ok, let's start here, the general rules for PAX:
    http://east.paxsite.com/safety-and-security#weapons-check-policies
    There's also an additional rule from the city of Boston regarding any fake guns.

---To start, it doesn't look like it breaks any of the props or costumes rules, so you're safe there.
    ---If there's anything on it that's made of metal, it will set off metal detectors. Additionally, security is almost certainly going to want to search this for anything hidden inside, so if you're going to bring it, make sure the inside "housing" (for lack of a better term) is accessible/openable. Make sure security can inspect any spot where you could potentially hide something.
    ---Finally, while I can't see the proportionality of the costume to your body, this may be a bit of a burden/beast on the expo floor. Here's the important note given why things on that list are prohibited: Given the crowd density, situations that require mass egress would be restricted by these devices.
    I can see security potentially making a big deal out of this, but if you can show that you can easily remove the costume, it may not be much of an issue.

My best suggestion is to straight-up e-mail PAX and ask. If anybody else could suggest the correct e-mail address, that would be great.

Good luck, because that costume looks awesome and well-made.

• Options
    NFGNFG NintendoFanGirl Registered User regular
    This weekend suuuuuuuuuuucked. Tried so hard to finish 100% of my sewing (and failed), so now I have quite a bit left to do between now and thursday, baring in mind that I work 7am-11pm today, 7am-6pm tomorrow, and work/class 7am-10pm on Wednesday. Don't procrastinate on costumes when you have two jobs and are a grad student!! Here's some progress pics though (pardon the mess please!):

6ewtsz8ucj1x.png

S2ieAvx.png
  • Options
    SovereignvsSovereignvs Registered User regular
    Just curious...

How do you guys feel about original cosplay? Meaning characters from original fiction. Something created/designed by the cosplayer.

• Options
    Just curious...

How do you guys feel about original cosplay? Meaning characters from original fiction. Something created/designed by the cosplayer.

Generally speaking, a large part of the fun with cosplay is creating the costume, being able to act as the character, or just wearing your fandom on your whole body, rather than your sleeve. Or even all three of these things!

That said, cosplay as an original character is still awesome. After all, a great cosplay is still a great cosplay. And while nobody would recognize it on sight, it could certainly spark conversations.

• Options
    NFGNFG NintendoFanGirl Registered User regular
    Just curious...

Not sure exactly what you mean, how do we feel when we encounter it? I'm very interested in cosplay craftsmanship, so if I see an awesome looking costume I'm going to think it's awesome and want a picture even if I don't know what it's from. Usually I'd ask what it's from, and if it's something I found REALLY interesting I'll look into it when I get home.

I have to be completely honest though, if it isn't a costume that isn't amazingly visually appealing and isn't from a series I know, I probably wouldn't think twice about it when walking past it in a hall or something.

As for how I feel about copslaying OC's in /general/ though is that it's awesome! It's really cool to come up with a character on your own AND have enough dimension planned out that you can go all-out and create the costume adaptation of that character. If I had any OC's that I actually cared about, I would 1000% be interested in doing this for myself.

S2ieAvx.png
  • Options
    sediroxsedirox Registered User regular
    Literally spent all of Sunday working on my Kat cosplay. I did manage to move it from 45% to 91% (according to Cosplanner). I have some finishing touches that I hope to knock out after work tonight since I fly out Wednesday night. No sleep until I'm on the plane haha.

I'm wearing my Kat on Saturday so please say hi if you see me!

• Options
    Just curious...

Though slightly different, I know my one friend is creating and cosplaying a fierce deity zelda design she created. She doesn't have a finished image of it but it's coming along amazing! I think original creations in any form are awesome. Because of top of being creative and creating the cosplay, you are also designing it! Though I do know some people get others to design/or use original designs from someone else. BASICALLY as said, amazing cosplays are always going to be amazing cosplays. :3

• Options
    sedirox wrote: »
    Literally spent all of Sunday working on my Kat cosplay. I did manage to move it from 45% to 91% (according to Cosplanner). I have some finishing touches that I hope to knock out after work tonight since I fly out Wednesday night. No sleep until I'm on the plane haha.

I'm wearing my Kat on Saturday so please say hi if you see me!

I use to use that app! :D I loved it! Until I tried to use it for my rajang cosplay...then it told me I couldn't have that many things on my to do list. xD Whoops.

• Options
    Samael76Samael76 Registered User new member
    Got the boots for my Bloodborne cosplay! Can't wait to have everything ready. It would be awesome to see a Plain Doll there! unef5u2gj4ps.jpg

• Options
    Just curious...

I have a friend who for the last two years does his own thing. People generally love it. He does it for his YouTube channel.

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • Options
    SovereignvsSovereignvs Registered User regular
    Sepioth wrote: »
    Just curious...

I have a friend who for the last two years does his own thing. People generally love it. He does it for his YouTube channel.

That's cool. What's his youtube?
    Last year I did an original cosplay. I was expecting more people to ask for photos, but maybe because they didn't recognize the character, they didn't want any pics.

Or maybe they were intimidated by the character. It was basically me wearing three socks.

• Options
    edited April 2016

Last year I saw Luigi riding an electric go cart in the halls. (I think it was a power wheel)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/photos/?sid=97781d2f1a1503ef8b8b19b7a5f8d8e2027ae05b-3778067d-cc6e-40fa-bc88-61494f3c47d6&did=c0bc32012f031b9ae381573d7fa16b8c0a019948

Sepioth on
    4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • Options
    iltailta Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Since you ask, I am still booking sessions. I offer individual shoots, or if you have a group I can have everyone who's interested share the fee (and then I throw in the group shot for free). I'd be happy to provide examples and talk prices -- PM me if interested.
    jddyslexia wrote: »
    AmanoUsagi wrote: »

There are some scheduled photo shoots where people are organizing groups and photographers. Looking through this thread, I see photo shoots for Fallout, RWBY, and Assassin's Creed. I can say that RWBY probably won't have a professional photographer as we don't really have the committed numbers, but I'm ok with that. Seems like the others have garnered plenty of interest.

Chances are, you'll see plenty of people taking photos, either as fans or professionals. If you snoop around the forums a bit, you'll see other photographers posting that they are willing to book sessions (though maybe not last minute at this point), but that will cost you their services (no discussions of costs on the forums, take it to PMs).

ilta on
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Welp, finally got some time and put together some pictures of my completed for leaving Thursday Biker Cosplay. Posted it up on Imgur:
    Based on this image:
    http://i.imgur.com/rw4xUVR.jpg

Best I could recall while outside:
    http://i.imgur.com/qJ2dHQE.jpg

TnlzTXP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OX5EGjT.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/0rrz0aq.jpg

E: Trying not to spam 5 inline images, so I only did one inline.

Drowning Rabbit on
  • Options
    VirtualVoltVirtualVolt Registered User regular
    Like every year, I take way too long thinking about what I want to cosplay and not enough time actually doing it. Maybe next year?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    robirexrobirex BostonRegistered User regular
    For my Division agent cosplay. I wont look half as good as all of you because of how last minute this all was for me, but this is my saving grace. I might walk around with a mobile cover too and try to get into places that I am not allowed to be in. Maybe I can glitch through lines? :P fwl46bh6me8i.jpg

6pq9je4.png
  • Options
    'T''T' King in the North BostonRegistered User regular
    Third year cosplaying at PAX East. 2014 I was Robb Stark. 2015 I was a couple's cosplay with my Girlfriend as Booker and Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite. This year we're doing our own things.

I'll be cosplaying as the Rocketeer.
    8fcstcgl3vxj.png

And she'll be Red from Transistor.
    gd9n286ow9sd.png

Can't wait to see you all there!

15e5VyH.png
  • Options
    a fraking toastera fraking toaster W1TRK Registered User regular
    woo my beard for my kreiger cosplay came in just in time.totes not able to grown 1 myself so had to order a fake one.hopefulyl i dont look like a fool with it on,can alswasy use a doctors mask as a backup.

• Options
    ScottyDoesn'tKnowScottyDoesn'tKnow Registered User regular
    robirex wrote: »
    For my Division agent cosplay. I wont look half as good as all of you because of how last minute this all was for me, but this is my saving grace. I might walk around with a mobile cover too and try to get into places that I am not allowed to be in. Maybe I can glitch through lines? :P fwl46bh6me8i.jpg

THIS IS SO COOL! Yours looks so good.. I have yet to finish putting mine together, but I doubt it will be this awesome. How did you do the ribbon antenna thing?!

• Options
    MelSnyMelSny New JerseyRegistered User regular
    I am super excited to bring my camera and take pictures of everyone's Cosplays!!!! Probably going to be a bit difficult to take a ton of pictures while I am also cosplaying though. I did make business cards with my flickr and stuff on them as well as a line to write in what I am cosplaying. I thought they could serve the purpose of letting people who's picture I take where they can see their pictures and I can give them to people who take my picture so hopefully I will be able to see some this year. In the four past years I've been to PAX East, I haven't seen any pictures of my cosplays that other people have taken. Hopefully I will this year!
    I am currently finishing up my Witcher 3 cosplay. Here are the swords, almost finished!
    kdcf87p377ai.png

signature.png

"You want to kill me? You couldn't even kill my boredom" - Roronoa Zoro (One Piece).

Attending PAX East since 2011.
  • Options
    VirtualVoltVirtualVolt Registered User regular
    MelSny wrote: »
    I am currently finishing up my Witcher 3 cosplay. Here are the swords, almost finished!
    kdcf87p377ai.png

Oh my god! Those are absolutely amazing! How'd you make them?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MelSnyMelSny New JerseyRegistered User regular
    MelSny wrote: »
    kdcf87p377ai.png
    Oh my god! Those are absolutely amazing! How'd you make them?

My Dad hand carves/makes the weapons out of wood for my husband and I every year. This way they pass all the criteria to get through inspection and are also light weight so we can carry them easily. We then just prime and paint the wood appropriately! He does such a great job. The heads at the end were tricky for him because the wood snapped a couple times.

signature.png

"You want to kill me? You couldn't even kill my boredom" - Roronoa Zoro (One Piece).

Attending PAX East since 2011.
  • Options
    DaNickaDaNicka Studly Nurd Peoples Republic Of Massachusetts, DunstableRegistered User regular
    'T' wrote: »
    Third year cosplaying at PAX East. 2014 I was Robb Stark. 2015 I was a couple's cosplay with my Girlfriend as Booker and Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite. This year we're doing our own things.

I'll be cosplaying as the Rocketeer.
    8fcstcgl3vxj.png

And she'll be Red from Transistor.
    gd9n286ow9sd.png

Can't wait to see you all there!

Freaking Danny H ;)

• Options
    sammillssammills NJRegistered User regular
    Tried on everything I've finished so far for Cia! Still got some stuff to do. I've been putting off my senior thesis to work on this, oops.
    Can't wait to see everyone's costumes!
    1sf8ifrpbb82.jpg

yJyIjnX.png

• Options
    gstaffgstaff Registered User regular
    Hey everyone, I'm organizing a second Fallout cosplay meetup/photoshoot to compliment the friday one. It'll be on Saturday at 1:45pm outside the Take This AFK Room. https://www.facebook.com/events/1524327061207680/

Hey there

This is gstaff, the Community Lead at Bethesda. We'd love to figure out a way to do a group photo of any/all cosplayers in/around our booth. We could do one each day. If someone is interested in wrangling this, let me know.

Oh, and other Bethesda cosplay (Dishonored, DOOM, Evil Within, etc) is welcome.

I'll try to check in here, but if you have additional thoughts, feel free to hit me up on Twitter (@gstaffinfection).

thanks

Ron says war never changes. Snake says it does. What gives?
  • Options
    minikttyminiktty New YorkRegistered User new member
    I'm trying out my Stardew Valley cosplay.
    cwen1vypm976.jpg
    q2zlqweu0kij.jpg