As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WANTED: Impossible Skillset at Laughable Wage; Part-Time-Only [job] Thread

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    godmode wrote: »
    Leaving Japan today. Flight was delayed several hours, so I'm going to miss my connection in the States. Airline is putting me up in a hotel in Chicago for the night, which is pretty cool - I've never been to Chicago before.
    Currently I'm in the Admirals' Club feeling like an imposter. I haven't had a haircut in over two months.

Damn wish you were here for more then a night. I could have taken you to a trendy spot in the city. Or fed you delivicious pizza casserole!

One night is all we need :winky:

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    @Darth Waiter I wanted to ask the same thing when I saw the Weather channel at 0500 but wasn't sure where to ask. Looked pretty nasty on the Doppler.

Edit: yikes, front page of Weather Channel says deadly flooding and rescues under way :(

Edit edit: Holy shit, in 6hrs just NW of Houston they got 7" of rain!

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Yeah, we're already well past flash flooding and into emergency evacuation for residents in flood zones. Thankfully I'm up on high ground, but it still doesn't solve the power problems. I can only imagine how badly this is going to fuck with air traffic over the next few days since it's not supposed to let up until Friday.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    it's entirely possible the small temporary bridge to my jobsite is washed away.

but that's not my problem! no job today!

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    It's pretty disgusting in SA, nothing like Houston though.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I'm trapped in my apartment!

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    I'm trapped in my apartment!

have you pulled out your Beretta already?

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »
    Having a worker perform modified duties (lower physical demands that will not aggravate an injury) at the workplace rather than letting them sit at home and collect workmans comp will save a company money. The company does pay the worker's wages rather than having it paid by WCB, but they do not get those wages counted as part of their experience history. In Alberta, that experience history sticks around for three years and increases the rates for everyone at the company so the company is penalized 3x for injuries. Also, employees recovering in the workplace recover faster than if they are at home since if you have someone competent managing modified workers they get to all their physio appointments and doctor's appointments which is harder to control if they're off on their own.

Of course, judging by stories of that plant in this thread they're probably doing it just to torture him.

This is not 100% accurate. I have seen three guys in my company fired after getting injured (this is in Alberta btw). Guy gets injured, files claim. Company runs drug tests. "Oh, you had an elevated level of _________ in your system, therefore you were under the influence, and we are not liable to pay you. We are even going to forward the results to WCB to screw you over too."

I know that my company is not the 100% norm, but be aware that there are ways to get around workman's comp.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I am very, very glad I decided to park in our parking garage yesterday.

It's still pouring out there and water's already up to the curbs.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Invectivus wrote: »
    Daimar wrote: »
    Having a worker perform modified duties (lower physical demands that will not aggravate an injury) at the workplace rather than letting them sit at home and collect workmans comp will save a company money. The company does pay the worker's wages rather than having it paid by WCB, but they do not get those wages counted as part of their experience history. In Alberta, that experience history sticks around for three years and increases the rates for everyone at the company so the company is penalized 3x for injuries. Also, employees recovering in the workplace recover faster than if they are at home since if you have someone competent managing modified workers they get to all their physio appointments and doctor's appointments which is harder to control if they're off on their own.

Of course, judging by stories of that plant in this thread they're probably doing it just to torture him.

This is not 100% accurate. I have seen three guys in my company fired after getting injured (this is in Alberta btw). Guy gets injured, files claim. Company runs drug tests. "Oh, you had an elevated level of _________ in your system, therefore you were under the influence, and we are not liable to pay you. We are even going to forward the results to WCB to screw you over too."

I know that my company is not the 100% norm, but be aware that there are ways to get around workman's comp.

Canadian WC is very different from US WC (I imagine).
    WC has some federal regs, but most of it happens at the state level. Some are very good around worker protection (CA), others are basically a dumpster fire (TX).
    Regardless of state, there should be resources available from your state and advocacy organizations around rules, regulations and interpretations.
    Personal note: if your company is dickish, retain a lawyer for advice if possible, as there is the opportunity for very worker-unfriendly practices even in the most protected states.

Sidenote: Drug tests are indeed often the first thing that happen post-incident and can indeed provide impetus to deny a claim. However, it depends on the scope of duties and injury. If you operate heavy equipment, I would highly recommend not doing anything that could trigger a positive, as that's where you get into the more black and white rules.

One last thing - have a safety fund if at all possible. Some of the shady tactics companies often use are based around delaying benefit payments as long as possible so you may be in dire need of ANY payment. Lawyers and safety funds will help minimize this risk and impact.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Goody
    I signed up for vacation back in Feb. to have the first week of May off
    I found out it was canceled because they are paranoid about the inventory on the 17th
    I was told I sign up after it
    Seriously I am beyond done with them and this area is not much better for job prospects as I will get paid less if I leave :rotate:

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Second Round interview this Thursday. This wasn't the job the I originally applied for in this company, but they wanted me to look at this new position as well and there is the possibility that it has pay bonuses (which the other one didn't.)

Fingers crossed.

• Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    Jesus Aloysius Christ, @korodullin! How many world religions am I going to have to try out to find one that will get you out of that shit-bin and into a proper non-limb-threatening job?

• Options
    Can't get my phone to hook up to the internet but my tablet is apparently ok, weird. Flooding is pretty heavy up my way but the waters are slowly receding, power is still out probably until noon or later.

Two frightened dacshunds and Mom has no cigarettes so we did the only thing we could think of: we cracked open a bottle of wine and we're proceeding to get tipsy. That six pack of Newcastle won't last the day, I can tell you that much.

I don't think my mom and I have been drunk together in over a decade, maybe longer.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I helped cover a history class this morning until the sub got there. I'm probably better off being a Librarian instead of a history teacher (my other teaching certification) This way I can just pop in and throw cool historical facta at people and peace out without having to give grades and such.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    It's the Cool Uncle of education.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Week off starts now, with a beer while I sit outside watching a storm happen over the mountains, and giraffes feeding at the bottom of our garden.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Have yet to hear back from first position, but got a call back to come interview for a position at a different place. Gonna fly me out to D.C. as well.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    If I have another teacher try to schedule time in the first week of May for their big required research project that they've been told about almost every week since September I might actually start screaming.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Week off starts now, with a beer while I sit outside watching a storm happen over the mountains, and giraffes feeding at the bottom of our garden.

That sounds very difficult for the giraffes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Goodness gracious I just started whistling a song that was really catchy and when I stopped to actually pay attention to what I was whistling I discovered that "He's got the joy joy joy joy down in his heart"

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Goodness gracious I just started whistling a song that was really catchy and when I stopped to actually pay attention to what I was whistling I discovered that "He's got the joy joy joy joy down in his heart"
    Where?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Where?

Down in his heart. Duh.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Have yet to hear back from first position, but got a call back to come interview for a position at a different place. Gonna fly me out to D.C. as well.

Yeah DC!!

• Options
    Librarians' Log: Deweydate whatever.

Hey guys remember that thing I mentioned earlier about teachers scheduling stuff? One just emailed me to ask if I could step in to her class real quick on Wednesday to give her students a really simple research rundown.

I go, "okay, what are they going to be researching so I know what resources to show them."
    Her: "Oh they are researching social justice issues just like Mrs. Whoever did."
    Me: "You mean the big research project? Because there is a whole bunch of things involving the research process we are supposed to do as co-teachers in regards to that project that takes multiple class sessions."
    Her email response (and I quote verbatim.) "Yes..."

FLIP A FUCKING TABLE.

You want to know why these students are crap at research when they get to college? Take a look at their English teachers.

And now I know about it so I am incapable of not trying to do my best because I refuse to simply let these kids get subpar instructions just because their English teacher is lazy.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I got literally dick-all instruction on research before I got to college

thankfully my English 102 teacher was boss as hell

• Options
    'Twas a good morning in Lansing

12993470_10208146064662230_4311513437840886106_n.jpg?oh=a16ed6738efd920b9e8f072141dbf90c&oe=57A82BF5
    13043756_10208146064302221_2600048988022925_n.jpg?oh=87658bd08462f0e483e844d35f42915b&oe=57BF5024

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Someone keeps taking life altering shits and wrecking the restroom.

Jesus Christ, deal with the results of your terrible dietary habits instead of leaving the aftermath for someone else, you fucker.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Almost wrote off this guy I was interviewing because he had an AOL email address. You're a programmer, how could you possibly still have an AOL account!? He interviewed pretty well, so we'll probably take the next step with him...but still!

Did you ask this at any point in the interview? Cause I'd be really curious if I was interviewing for any kind of technical position.

• Options
    My internet service has returned along with electricity; @rhylith you doing ok, buddy? The water should have dropped pretty low by now where you're at.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »

Yeah DC!!

Yeah the other position is in the same area. Still waiting to hear back on that. I would expect to hear back this week, but I've started to just move on. Helps that I heard back on this other position though.

• Options
    Raw ConcreteRaw Concrete Registered User regular
    My part of the Houston inner loop got a few inches less of rain than last Memorial day, but there was over a foot near work. Cypress Creek is going to be no joke for a while; fortunately I have power and can do some stuff from home.

Tomorrow morning I have an appointment at a place that's flooded out the lower 2 levels of their parking garage two times last year. I predict a hat trick.

Oh, come and shake me 'till I'm dry
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Almost wrote off this guy I was interviewing because he had an AOL email address. You're a programmer, how could you possibly still have an AOL account!? He interviewed pretty well, so we'll probably take the next step with him...but still!

Did you ask this at any point in the interview? Cause I'd be really curious if I was interviewing for any kind of technical position.

I have an old MSN address that I love, and at this point it is partly nostalgia that I keep it. It was my first adult email address.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    My part of the Houston inner loop got a few inches less of rain than last Memorial day, but there was over a foot near work. Cypress Creek is going to be no joke for a while; fortunately I have power and can do some stuff from home.

Tomorrow morning I have an appointment at a place that's flooded out the lower 2 levels of their parking garage two times last year. I predict a hat trick.

You'd think that living on the Gulf Coast would prepare architects and construction folks to ... you know ... not build shit that's going to flood all the time, but physics has never stopped America before, and it won't stop us now.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Hey

Some of us are good at keeping the water on the proper side of things

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

You'd think that living on the Gulf Coast would prepare architects and construction folks to ... you know ... not build shit that's going to flood all the time, but physics has never stopped America before, and it won't stop us now.

The fact that we still have people living in Galveston still astounds me.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    The joys of working in the games industry is that there are a not-insignificant number of people who think like this guy:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-04-18-alex-st-john-shut-up-and-be-grateful-for-your-80-hour-weeks

There is, surprisingly, a truly bizarre correlation between people who feel this way about developers and people who belong to various internet movements that claim to be all about protecting us from the evils of censorship.

SUPER weird.

I love my job, and I love what I do, but pretending it's A) not a job and B) that 100-hour work weeks are noble or even necessary is what makes me, at 8 1/2 years, part of the top 20% in terms of time in the industry.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Raw ConcreteRaw Concrete Registered User regular
    Houston is a tough civil engineering problem what with the whole 'hey, let's build on a swamp'. But there's definitely some dumb going on out there too; I understand even a few Victorian-era homes were built with basements...

Oh, come and shake me 'till I'm dry
  • Options
    Houston is a tough civil engineering problem what with the whole 'hey, let's build on a swamp'. But there's definitely some dumb going on out there too; I understand even a few Victorian-era homes were built with basements...

I am still of the firm opinion that Houston itself was not planned but just happened instead. Just a bunch of folks traveling west on their wagons and they finally broke one too many wheels and said:

"Fuck it, Clementine! Unpack Ambrose and Eunice, tell Delilah and Ezrah to start chopping trees, this is where we live now!"

"But Obidiah! What of our plans to venture to Californy and start a beet farm?!?"

"The Lord A'mighty wants us to live in a swamp, Clementine, and it is in the swamp we shall stay for nigh unto ten tens of generations!"

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    vsove wrote: »
    The joys of working in the games industry is that there are a not-insignificant number of people who think like this guy:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-04-18-alex-st-john-shut-up-and-be-grateful-for-your-80-hour-weeks

There is, surprisingly, a truly bizarre correlation between people who feel this way about developers and people who belong to various internet movements that claim to be all about protecting us from the evils of censorship.

SUPER weird.

I love my job, and I love what I do, but pretending it's A) not a job and B) that 100-hour work weeks are noble or even necessary is what makes me, at 8 1/2 years, part of the top 20% in terms of time in the industry.

It looks like you and Ismail have the right of it. St John just seems to be projecting his personal work ethic onto others. If he wants to sleep on his keyboard, fine. In fact, it seems to have worked for him, considering he's well-known enough to be heard on top of that soapbox. If you impose that shit on others though, you're gonna have a bad time.

This discussion has been closed.