As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Ryan Davis Memorial Giant Bomb Thread

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Danny is unable to podcast, so I guess technically it isn't Danswers.

I didn't know what this meant, but a quick visit to his twitter (which I also do not follow for some reason) held the answer:

I'm glad to be one of those weirdos who never got wisdom teeth.

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It's always interesting how different people react to getting their wisdom teeth out. When I got mine out I was pretty much fully functional within 24 hours and some people seem like they are completely out for days. Mine were even impacted and they had to shatter them to get them out.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    My wisdom teeth are sideways, pointing towards my other teeth.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Anyone listening to Danny's new Tournament of Lies podcast?
    Him and three of his friends are ranking all video games ever. They take audience suggestions for the games to rank.

For some reason, Danny picked mine for the first group of the first episode, and for about 20 minutes City of Heroes was where it belongs as the greatest game of all time :cool:

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    20 minutes isn't long enough.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    20 minutes isn't long enough.

It was beating certified bangers Excitebike and Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict (which none of them knew anything about), but was dethroned by Mario Strikers Charged.
    You can watch the first episode here, can't wait for more:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7kHByl4aXw

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    My wisdom teeth are sort of just sitting there at the back of my gums, not really doing anything and not really awkwardly angled or anything, but occasionally my jaw pops out a bit and it hurts.

I suppose I should see the dentist more often about that (ie. more than "never") :P

PikaPuff wrote: »

I had the same thing. It ended up causing a cavity in the tooth in front of the wisdom tooth because I couldn't clean it properly.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I assume cause he was awake to listen to a podcast, Danny ignored the results of his Twitter poll and got local anesthetic instead of full anesthesia, which has its own inherent risks.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I assume cause he was awake to listen to a podcast, Danny ignored the results of his Twitter poll and got local anesthetic instead of full anesthesia, which has its own inherent risks.

Yes, terrible risks such as getting it done and then getting on with your day.

reVerse wrote: »

I meant the full anesthesia has its risks. Anytime they knock you out, there's a chance you don't wake up. But all his Twitter replies were telling him to get the full.

I had local and it was fine.

steam_sig.png

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

I meant the full anesthesia has its risks. Anytime they knock you out, there's a chance you don't wake up. But all his Twitter replies were telling him to get the full.

Oh, I misread.

Yes, full anesthesia for dental work is just silly. If Lifetime has taught me anything, that's a good way to get raped.

reVerse on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular

Ehm I had this and you may want to get them out.
    Because one of mine moved forward when I was about 25, and below my gums basically slowly pushed itself into the molar before it, didn't feel a thing until it hit the nerve.
    I don't have the wisdom tooth or that molar anymore.....

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    SanderJK wrote: »

Because one of mine moved forward when I was about 25, and below my gums basically slowly pushed itself into the molar before it, didn't feel a thing until it hit the nerve.
    I was 36 when they last checked and they just shrugged in an either/or manner. "Like hey bad things could happen, but it's buried under gums so bad things could happen trying to get them out and doesn't look like they're doing anything so........... ????"

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »

I was 36 when they last checked and they just shrugged in an either/or manner. "Like hey bad things could happen, but it's buried under gums so bad things could happen trying to get them out and doesn't look like they're doing anything so........... ????"

Yeah, as long as they're not causing any trouble, it's usually best to leave them alone. There's lots of nerves and arteries in that area that you don't really wanna mess with if you don't have to.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Mine started moving when I was twenty or so and whoops now my teeth are crowded and I need braces

• KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    A couple of my wisdom teeth moved into the spaces where the adjacent molars had once been before I had them pulled due to infection. It's like a new set of molars, albeit slightly sideways and harder to clean.

• BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I think Jeff may have ruined me.

I've started playing with Cheat Engine and using it to finish games I've partially completed.

Then last night, I used it on Dark Souls 3. I made a separate character and flipped it to offline mode, then I went to town.

You would think it would ruin the experience, but I'm actually having more fun?

Jeff (I) is (am) a monster.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    If your fun does not come at the expense of a ruined experience for others, more power to you.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    It's definitely revived my backlog.

And yeah, I would never use it for something that's competitive online.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular

I had mine taken out about a month ago and went under anesthesia primarily because I have a strong gag reflex. It's also not a true full anesthesia because you're still awake and able to respond to questions but you're basically in a lucid state. I deal very well with anesthesia and even after a dose of Demerol after the procedure I didn't take a nap or feel sleepy. The surgery was on Friday morning and I was back to work on Monday.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I was a kid when I got mine removed and wasn't given a choice, though maybe my parents were. I was pretty anxious about the whole thing though so maybe that's why I got put under both times.

I also had 2 sets of wisdom teeth so I had 4 taken out from the bottom when I was 14 and 4 taken out from the top when I was 15. I also had 2 random extra teeth removed from the bottom set when I was 17. I was 'Shark' for a while when the rest of my family heard about that.

camo_sig2.png
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    @Beltaine oh I hear ya. I've used it for the random Steam old RPG I don't want to grind money/skill points (KOTOR, Deus Ex, Ys). It definitely has made me love some games I'm positive I wouldn't be able to play in my 30s (kids, job, trying to stay fit). Whenever I read in other threads about these massive games with 100+ hours of game time I die a lil inside.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    I also had 2 sets of wisdom teeth so I had 4 taken out from the bottom when I was 14 and 4 taken out from the top when I was 15. I also had 2 random extra teeth removed from the bottom set when I was 17. I was 'Shark' for a while when the rest of my family heard about that.
    So THAT'S where those #5s I never grew went!

All I remember was the dentist basically leaning his whole body weight onto the tooth to get it out to the point where I almost was pushed out of the chair.

steam_sig.png

• KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    I still need to get my wisdom teeth out at some point.. I just need the free time to be able to go in and recover for a day or two after.

It's not a huge deal anyways, it's just that I've got the beginnings of some cavities on my top teeth, since they're so hard to properly and consistently clean, so the dentist was all "Might as well just yank 'em"

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I use cheats / trainers at times when I just can't be bothered with interacting with parts of a game, usually its economy. I feel like I have done my part over the last 25 years carrying bear-asses to shopkeepers for 1g each. Basically whenever I hit the point "I could invest a lot of time at this point to become rich doing boring stuff" I'm likely to skip that part instead.

Yeah never online, never competitive of course. Just get past the bits that are tedium.

Yep, I usually like to keep the feel of the game intact, but just make quality of life changes. Max out my bank account, turn off item degradation, turn off encumberance, etc...

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I don't mind encumbrance as much as other people do, I guess. It's a way to provide natural stopping points for people who can get overwhelmed by the size of big open world things like Skyrim. "My pack's full, I should head back to town and maybe call it a day since I've been playing for X hours". You shouldn't be picking up everything anyway, just the stuff you need.

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Danny is unable to podcast, so I guess technically it isn't Danswers.

I didn't know what this meant, but a quick visit to his twitter (which I also do not follow for some reason) held the answer:

I'm glad to be one of those weirdos who never got wisdom teeth.

i'm glad to be one of those weirdos who has plenty of space for his wisdom teeth!
    because when i was 10 i had to have 4 other teeth taken out

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    alright tooth story time

I had braces from the age of 10 - 15, so when they came off I had them for a fucking third of my life.

When I was 10 I guess i had too many teeth and they were fucked in a way where if braces were going to help they had to make a bunch of space. So I had 6 teeth pulled, 2 babies that were still there and 4 normal ones. This would then allow the braces to go in and everything to be aligned nicely (including having plenty of space for future wisdom teeth)

We discovered a few things.
    1) Novacaine doesn't work on me, basically at all. I could feel everything, including the needles going into my gums when they kept trying to put more in to see if it would do anything
    2) some of my teeth were super crooked down in the root but were able to be pulled
    3) I can scream real loud

On the last tooth they couldn't get it out no matter how hard they pulled. Eventually, with clamps around the tooth they had to have a person on either side of me, each holding a handle, each pulling with all of their might before it finally came out. The tooth grew up in a spiral somehow, so the roots of it were all twisted around the inside of my gum. When they finally got the tooth out a big chunk of the gum it was attached to came out as well since it was twisted into it.

My mom said I was screaming so much and so loudly a bunch of people in the waiting room just got up and left and never and never came back.

When we were done and heading back to the car I was pretty woozy and my asshole sister caused a tantrum because she wanted to sit in the front seat but mom said I she wanted me to instead.

This was uh almost 25 years ago but I still remember most of it vividly.

plus side: today my teeth are pretty good, lots of room, never had a cavity. Also i have good benefits so i see a dentist every 6 months and thankfully never developed fear of them.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    Jesus Christ that sounds terrifying.

Hell, I was so nervous last time I had work done (three side-by-side crowns [get a good dentist, they all should have been fillings but my old dentist insisted they were only "watch spots" because he wanted extra money from crowns, new place is much better]) that they had to give me nitrous oxide to calm down. I was trying to be calm but couldn't stop shaking at the prospect of having teeth ground down to stumps.

camo_sig2.png
    Ceno wrote: »
    I don't mind encumbrance as much as other people do, I guess. It's a way to provide natural stopping points for people who can get overwhelmed by the size of big open world things like Skyrim. "My pack's full, I should head back to town and maybe call it a day since I've been playing for X hours". You shouldn't be picking up everything anyway, just the stuff you need.

I am picking up everything not nailed down in Fallout 4 cause of the crafting system. Maybe I should use a trainer, because manually console commanding a larger and larger carry weight, among other numbers, is getting annoying.

steam_sig.png

edited April 2016
    Ceno wrote: »

I am picking up everything not nailed down in Fallout 4 cause of the crafting system. Maybe I should use a trainer, because manually console commanding a larger and larger carry weight, among other numbers, is getting annoying.

I just used a mod that made junk weightless.

BionicPenguin on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    My tooth story is less horrifying. I had pretty poor dental hygiene as a kid, so my baby teeth were full of fillings. When they started getting replaced by real teeth (I assume) they didn't bother fixing the cavities, because they're coming out anyway.
    However, I had no real teeth below my #5s, so those remained, hollow from rot and embedded in my gums.

Back then if you wanted nationalised dental care you had to periodically endure dentists-in-training to work on you under supervision (yay). So, of course, when my rotten teeth needed to be yanked I end up with one of them. The moment they try to pull the teeth they just collapsed, leaving the roots embedded in my gums with no easy way to get them out, so I spent what felt hours sat there as they dug through my gums to get them out. They were making enough of a mess that I felt pain through the painkillers after a while.

After 2 of those my mum just went NOPE and found a private dentist to pull the remaining 2 out.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Thankfully not as bad as Hardtarget up there, but Novocaine is definitely delayed with me. I can usually still feel the drill when they're filling a cavity or whatever. Then hours later I'm numb.

MichaelLC on
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Thanks guys. I'd rather get crooked teeth than remove my wisdom teeth. It is starting to mess up a bit my mouth but F that.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Eh, it's really not that bad.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
    For real, get them out if a dentist or orthodontist is recommending it. And while you do run a risk every time you go under anesthesia it's not that big of a deal if you're nervous and just want to go to sleep and wake up with no wisdom teeth.

camo_sig2.png
    Yeah for most people it's fine. Not fun but 1 day of feeling shitty and 2-3 more of painkillers and being careful with food.
    But once you start talking about dental horror stories you'll get them because when things go bad, they tend to go graphically and painfully bad.

This discussion has been closed.