As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MtG] That was a real nice declaration

KilroyKilroy timaeusTestifiedRegistered User regular
7Y77TXG.jpg

Magic: the Gathering is a card game about dunking on terrible vampires

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    A+ thread title

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    hqdefault.jpg

I like that declaration. That's a nice declaration.

also, I think that Startled Awake is substantially better online than in paper (in limited). Specifically because it's much easier to set up a waiting game counting down to the exact turn you need to fire off an unexpected "mill you for 13" to win on the next turn when you don't have to physically count the cards left in their library.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    @knob you can awaken westvale Abby but I wouldn't recommend it. Due to weird layers reasons if you awaken it for 2 and then flip to the demon it'll just be a 2/2 indestructible, flying, haste.

Quire.jpg
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    LIFELINK, TOO

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Knob wrote: »
    LIFELINK, TOO

you'd think so man, but, layers, ya know? layers.

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    you can awaken westvale Abby but I wouldn't recommend it. Due to weird layers reasons if you awaken it for 2 and then flip to the demon it'll just be a 2/2 indestructible, flying, haste.

haha what how does this even work

2x39jD4.jpg
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Sorry, what card are y'all talking about using on Abbey?

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    you can awaken westvale Abby but I wouldn't recommend it. Due to weird layers reasons if you awaken it for 2 and then flip to the demon it'll just be a 2/2 indestructible, flying, haste.

She doesn't really say why but

http://magicjudge.tumblr.com/post/142004965495/i-awaken-a-westvale-abbey-with-ruinous-path-it?is_related_post=1

Quire.jpg
  • The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular

awaken sets the base power and toughness of the object to 0/0

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Yeah, I'm gonna need @Nullzone to clarify that, because that doesn't make sense to me — why would awakening the front half affect the back?

EDIT: Reading about it is "ugh".

metaghost on
    Oh, just using the Awaken ability, yeah. Awaken says the creature is a 0/0, which overrides the creature's base stats. Think of it as putting this on it, but it says 0/0:

• NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Awaken creates a game rule that says "This object has base power and toughness 0/0" - it's just like casting Turn to Frog on something, just with different numbers. Transforming isn't applying a game rule; the object's actual printed characteristics change.

When determining what something looks like on the field, the game starts with printed values of an object, but then uses the layers system to determine what the thing actually looks like after applying all effects modifying that object. Check out Comprehensive Rule 613.

So yeah, Awaken on Westvale Abbey is gonna give you a bad time if you want to actually transform it. It works great on animated lands like Wandering Fumarole and Hissing Quagmire, though!

Nullzone on
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    It's definitely just one of those things where transform feels, as intended, like you create a new card/object, as in the case of Ormendahl you wholly alter the previous card text. It's understandable why they don't what the flip to treat cards as new objects, but this interaction feels "bad" as a consequence.

I mean, you are still "wholly altering the previous card's text" but that concept explicitly precludes other game rules and effects from being wiped out.

edited April 2016
    Oh so the awaken effect works like an aura when it comes to transforming cards, rather than just dropping the counters and only effecting one side

I don't like it but I guess it makes sense

edit and it's kind of an edge case, I don't think we are going to see too many double sided land cards

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    I don't like it but I guess it makes sense

This basically sums up layers in general. At least it's not painter's servant.

You want layers and not making sense? I present to you:

Forget all that you know about layering, and bask in the concept of 'dependent' and 'codependent' layers.

Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Forget all that you know about layering, and bask in the concept of 'dependent' and 'codependent' layers.

magic sucks, actually

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular

planar chaos sucks, actually

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

So if you play that, then sporemound , then a land, you crash MTGO right?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508

So if you play that, then sporemound , then a land, you crash MTGO right?

The game will be a draw, dunno if MTGO will crash.

Kilroy wrote: »

incorrect, planar chaos has my favorite magic borders ever

25.jpg

mm-mm-mmmmm

Fuck layers, I do what I want

time spiral block belongs on a perfect pedestal, even its stupid parts

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    The only layers I like are in cake.

What happens to a tribal Changeling instant around Life and Limb?

Nothing.

Yeah, an instant never enters the battlefield, so nothing happens

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

What if you manifest it?

This is the current interaction between Humility and Opalescence: The type-changing effect applies at layer 4, but the rest happens in the applicable layers. The rest of it will apply even if the permanent loses its ability before it’s finished applying. So if Opalescence, Humility, and Worship are on the battlefield and Opalescence entered the battlefield before Humility, the following is true: Layer 4: Humility and Worship each become creatures that are still enchantments. (Opalescence). Layer 6: Humility and Worship each lose their abilities. (Humility) Layer 7b: Humility becomes 4/4 and Worship becomes 4/4. (Opalescence). Humility becomes 1/1 and Worship becomes 1/1 (Humility). But if Humility entered the battlefield before Opalescence, the following is true: Layer 4: Humility and Worship each become creatures that are still enchantments (Opalescence). Layer 6: Humility and Worship each lose their abilities (Humility). Layer 7b: Humility becomes 1/1 and Worship becomes 1/1 (Humility). Humility becomes 4/4 and Worship becomes 4/4 (Opalescence).

looooooooooooool

Taramoor wrote: »

What if you manifest it?

hmm

does manifest recognize that the face-down changeling instant is a creature card?

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    Knob wrote: »
    This is the current interaction between Humility and Opalescence: The type-changing effect applies at layer 4, but the rest happens in the applicable layers. The rest of it will apply even if the permanent loses its ability before it’s finished applying. So if Opalescence, Humility, and Worship are on the battlefield and Opalescence entered the battlefield before Humility, the following is true: Layer 4: Humility and Worship each become creatures that are still enchantments. (Opalescence). Layer 6: Humility and Worship each lose their abilities. (Humility) Layer 7b: Humility becomes 4/4 and Worship becomes 4/4. (Opalescence). Humility becomes 1/1 and Worship becomes 1/1 (Humility). But if Humility entered the battlefield before Opalescence, the following is true: Layer 4: Humility and Worship each become creatures that are still enchantments (Opalescence). Layer 6: Humility and Worship each lose their abilities (Humility). Layer 7b: Humility becomes 1/1 and Worship becomes 1/1 (Humility). Humility becomes 4/4 and Worship becomes 4/4 (Opalescence).

looooooooooooool

Careful if you read this entire paragraph, you suddenly quit magic

Instants and Sorceries can literally never be on the battlefield face-up. There is no combination of cards that lets it happen.

My new goal

Play edh

Resolve Humility, Opalescence, Worship, Life and Limb, and Starfield

Drop Mic, walk away

You need a Conspiracy for Saprolings in there, too. Really just fuck it all up.

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Kilroy wrote: »

incorrect, planar chaos has my favorite magic borders ever

25.jpg

mm-mm-mmmmm

okay yes, this is true

Taramoor wrote: »

What if you manifest it?

hmm

does manifest recognize that the face-down changeling instant is a creature card?

No. The manifest is a 2/2 colorless creature with no name or types; it has no relationship to its normal face.

PTSOI will do draft with sleeved boosters

That's cool

What does that mean, exactly? pre-sleeved cards?

Probably, the boosters used in pro tour limited are all preopened and stamped and registered right?

Sleeving wouldn't add too much work to that

2x39jD4.jpg
This discussion has been closed.