As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

JRPG Thread: We're All Delayed Until November 29

SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
edited August 2016 in Social Entropy++
New JRPG thread time!
On the docket of upcoming releases, we have games such as Persona 5 and the perpetually in development FFXV, the latter of which is apparently finally coming out September!

Additionally, there are quite a few JRPGs coming out for re-release soon, such as Valkyria Chronicles HD, and Dragon Quests VI and VII.
Newly released JRPGs include Bravely Second, Fire Emblem Fates, and FF9 (now on Steam).
If it's from Japan and is an RPG, you can talk about it here.
Maybe you have a favorite not on this list. We can talk about that too!
Enjoy! <3

KgoSBOM.jpg

signature.png
Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
SilverWind on

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I love how kinetic and crunchy Toriyama's old Dragon Quest art is

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I am drowning in a bunch of JRPGs that I don't have time to play, please send help

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Let's talk about Beyond the Beyond

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I am drowning in a bunch of JRPGs that I don't have time to play, please send help

I'd offer to help but I'd only drag you further down with me.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Actual JRPGs in my possession that I have not beaten, or maybe even started:

Rune Factory 4
    Dragon Quest IV
    Dragon Quest V
    Dragon Quest VI
    Dragon Quest IX
    Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
    Bravely Default
    Bravely Second
    Fire Emblem (GBA)
    Fire Emblem: Awakening
    Fire Emblem: Birthright
    Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep

Then there's stuff I've technically beaten but still wanna go through

Kingdom Hearts 2.5
    Final Fantasy IX iOS (this is a nice port but I may wait and see if a PS4 version happens rather than finish this one)

Then there's ones coming out that I'm gonna get

Valkyria Chronicles Remastered
    Dragon Quest VII
    Dragon Quest VIII

I feel like I should probably just pick an RPG and give myself a month or so to beat it and move on to the next

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    save the drama for your mama

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Actual JRPGs in my possession that I have not beaten, or maybe even started:

Rune Factory 4
    Dragon Quest IV
    Dragon Quest V
    Dragon Quest VI
    Dragon Quest IX
    Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
    Bravely Default
    Bravely Second
    Fire Emblem (GBA)
    Fire Emblem: Awakening
    Fire Emblem: Birthright
    Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep

Then there's stuff I've technically beaten but still wanna go through

Kingdom Hearts 2.5
    Final Fantasy IX iOS (this is a nice port but I may wait and see if a PS4 version happens rather than finish this one)

Then there's ones coming out that I'm gonna get

Valkyria Chronicles Remastered
    Dragon Quest VII
    Dragon Quest VIII

I feel like I should probably just pick an RPG and give myself a month or so to beat it and move on to the next

I'd say devote a month to each on your backlog, and if you really don't feel like finishing a game, don't feel obligated to do so.

Oh, if/when you get to Fire Emblem (GBA) we should really set up a Lets Play Together (many people expressed some interest in doing FE7 or FE8 (Sacred Stones) together, after the recent crush of games has died down and people have settled down from playing Fates).

signature.png
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Goddamn it. I meant to spend some time last night catching up on Final Fantasy IX, but instead I got caught up reading Wikipedia's entry on the Titanic after seeing that real-time video of the disaster in the YouTube thread.

Did you know that despite the movie and James Cameron's fascination with the wreck being nearly 20 years ago, scientists and salvagers are still actively investigating the Titanic's wreckage? In fact, in 2010, a group of scientists announced the discovery of a new species of bacteria, Halomonas Titanicae, which was found eating the iron in the hull of the wreckage. Because of the decomposition from this bacteria, the scientists expect that the wreck will be completely disintegrated by 2030.

Fascinating. And yet, I'm still behind SilverWind in FFIX.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    I spent a few hours grinding AP on Garnet and Steiner for absolutely no reason last night, DC, so you may catch up to me yet

It's interesting that most FF9 guides are broken down by disc. Obviously, there's no indication of such in the Steam version, so on reading about Treno auction items I was surprised to find that yes, I have progressed to Disc 2! Wooo.

signature.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Picked up Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker because I never finished the original version and I've got a flight coming up

Immediately disappointed when I looked up the differences and saw that Japan got Durarara download characters that we obviously did not

• Options
    edited April 2016
    SilverWind wrote: »
    I spent a few hours grinding AP on Garnet and Steiner for absolutely no reason last night, DC, so you may catch up to me yet

It's interesting that most FF9 guides are broken down by disc. Obviously, there's no indication of such in the Steam version, so on reading about Treno auction items I was surprised to find that yes, I have progressed to Disc 2! Wooo.

I find it odd that there's no indication

In the FFVII PS4 port, when there would be a disc change, you get an "End of Part 1 or 2" screen that has some of the nice CG artwork from the manual

Having disc one of FFIX end where it does (with Beatrix decimating your team) is a really neat moment

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

Loved it but never finished it. I always made it until yo had to use an item or something to make a bridge to an island to clear Samson's curse but I could never figure it out

Javen on
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Speaking of Monkey Tails...

latest?cb=20110716062840

Happy Mother 3 day!

tumblr_o5y8rl2lDe1qeaguvo1_500.png

(source)

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular

I got to near the very end where you recruit a secret character, murdered him instead, someone told me about it at school the next day, so I had to replay the entire game over again.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ah damn

Bravely Default has a job system, eh

Job systems always make me feel super anxious, I always feel like I'll fall down the hole of having a fucked-up configuration and will end up in some shit situation later on because of it

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Ah damn

Job systems always make me feel super anxious, I always feel like I'll fall down the hole of having a fucked-up configuration and will end up in some shit situation later on because of it

Well if it makes you feel any better you won't just feel like it, because you will, because late game stuff is some brave/default abuse bullshit that funnels you into particular setups or the fights take a damn eternity.

On the plus side there is at least a few so there is a chance you'll luck out and draw the right straws.

Good luck!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Ah damn

You can change jobs and skills freely. You literally cannot fuck yourself up because if one job isn't working for you feel free to swap to another one. They don't give out stats on level-up either, but bake it into the job. So even if you level 50 times as a Freelancer (the base job) when you swap to Swordmaster your stats will shift accordingly. There's also no limit to what you can equip by either skills or weapons. When you pick a job you can set a second sub-job that won't earn EXP but you can use all the abilities you've learned on it. You also have a set pool of skill points (that can also be swapped at will), depending on where you are in the story, to equip skills that further enhance your ability like +10% Physical Attack or Natural Ability.

The system is made to let you experiment with a bunch of different jobs. You can't get fucked over just because you decided to level up Black Mage to 10 before anything else.

• Options
    We can offer up recommended jobs if you'd like, Vow. But as far as I remember it wasn't difficult switching jobs on the fly, and building up ...job points(? whatever they were called). And it'll be pretty clear pretty immediately which classes are great

signature.png
  • Options
    Ah damn

Well, the game gives you ample opportunity to grind for job points, and the design kind of encourages you to play around with different jobs, so you're never really "locked in" to a specific configuration. You can and should change jobs on a regular basis. There are some jobs you'll end up grinding everyone multiple levels into to get a single passive ability or something.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Even the ones that aren't great on their own can provide synergy with another job that elevates them to godly power.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Ah damn

Well if it makes you feel any better you won't just feel like it, because you will, because late game stuff is some brave/default abuse bullshit that funnels you into particular setups or the fights take a damn eternity.

On the plus side there is at least a few so there is a chance you'll luck out and draw the right straws.

Good luck!

Eh, some of the insane combinations are basically "Okay, this ability seems really crazy... oh wait there's this drawback... now how do I negate it?".

My beat-everything-without-taking-damage combo:
    Spiritmaster+haste/slow on party.

The key thing is the ability to stop all damage period for 3 turns... you want the turn order to go Party>Spiritmaster>Enemies. As long as you can haste/slow/etc your way to that you cannot be killed (barring mass stone/death which you should have something for by this point...). Party members unload 4 BP each, Spiritmaster trades 3 BP to 3 turns of nobody can deal damage... except your party already did and it expires between turns, so....

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    SilverWind wrote: »
    We can offer up recommended jobs if you'd like, Vow. But as far as I remember it wasn't difficult switching jobs on the fly, and building up ...job points(? whatever they were called). And it'll be pretty clear pretty immediately which classes are great

By chapter 5 you can pretty easily put together builds that will let you level a job up to 9 (the "soft cap") in a matter of minutes.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Judging by the demo, Bravely Default is crazy hard

I died in my first battle in the starting caves they told me to go to

• Options
    Judging by the demo, Bravely Default is crazy hard

I died in my first battle in the starting caves they told me to go to

It's really not. The demo is meant to show off some jobs and how they interact, but the ones you get are some of the more advanced ones story-wise. Once you get a handle on what jobs synergize well with each other, and that won't take long, everything turns to dust in that demo when you mosey onto the scene.

• Options
    Yeah I remember my first few encounters in the demo being rouuuugh, but gaining even just a couple levels gives you enough leeway to grind your way into trivializing the rest of it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited April 2016
    I can't gain a level if I can't get through a battle

Which I haven't yet, have now died twice, because even when I try braving it takes seven attacks to kill one of those kobold motherfuckers

Changing jobs is useless because nobody has any skills yet because they don't have any job points yet

EDIT: I'm just remembering, this is made by the FFT guys, right? Another game where I wasn't able to get past the first random battle

EDIT: Also please tell me in the full game there is a way to not have the cursor set to memory, that drives me insane

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Don't go to the caves immediately. Run around and grind a bit in the desert first; the enemies there are easier.

• Options
    Eh, I don't think this is for me

Tried tooling around with the brave/default system and hey, there are enemies that can stop you from doing that, which is like the key feature of your whole game, that doesn't sound annoying at all

The pacing of it just feels insanely slow to me, if I'm spending more than a minute in a random battle in your JRPG (or, maybe more aptly, if I'm noticing how long things are taking), you have fucked up your JRPG

I'll probably put this down and move on to one of the DQs

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    most random encounters in BD are actually done with real fast, since you can just brave four times with everyone and end it in a single round

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    most random encounters in BD are actually done with real fast, since you can just brave four times with everyone and end it in a single round

Takes a little bit to get going to that point. And depending on the fight it may not even take that.

Random encounter in Second that's all the same enemy? Summon Needle.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    The team split in FF9 is pretty interesting. It caught me off guard a bunch of times, but this time I guessed right and deequipped some of my singular items before the narrative jumped (probably because I was paranoid of Marcus stealing some of my nicer equipment). Time to train team B on these abilities.

....Pretty painful that Zidane's group doesn't have a healer, though. Can't wait for the teams to join back up...

signature.png
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    The main game for Bravely Default does absolutely nothing to mess around with you braving and defaulting except one boss halfway through kinda sorta, and the last boss

there might be some Baals that do it too, but with no Wifi on my 3DS when I played it they never came into effect

demo must be pretty crazy

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    The main game for Bravely Default does absolutely nothing to mess around with you braving and defaulting except one boss halfway through kinda sorta, and the last boss

there might be some Baals that do it too, but with no Wifi on my 3DS when I played it they never came into effect

demo must be pretty crazy

The demo was made to have some meat to it, not be something to tear through like a paper doll.

• Options
    The demo definitely shoves a bunch of abilities and enemies together in an early spot that doesn't happen in the actual game

signature.png
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    oh my god

uCzXNAx.png

this is

the cutest thing

it is now my most favourite thing ever

edit: it's like a ditto hitched a ride on a cute muk and now they're on an adventure!!!

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    You don't actually select things to use in random battles, you hit Y.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    In honor of the 3DS releases of Dragon Quest VII and VIII this year, I'm doing my own personal Year of Dragon Quest, where I go back to beat the older games after letting them languish in my backlog.

I beat I and II years ago (got the 2-in-1 GBC cart), and am now preparing for the final dungeon in III. I think the designers work on the assumption that players are supposed to wander around looking for stuff and getting into extra random battles, so using walkthroughs and maps has left me feeling underleveled frequently. Fortunately the fights around Zoma's castle give out lots of experience, mostly thanks to the Salamanders, who can do big part-wide damage but make up for by giving about ~1,000 exp each. So I'm up to level 39 now, figure I'll try a run and see how it goes.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    I have only ever beat DQ1. DQ2 didn't hold my interest. I loved 3 and 4, but got stuck at the final castle in 3 in two different playthroughs and was distracted by other things before I could grind up enough to complete it.

4 I got stuck the first time when you get the boat. That was years ago. I got the phone version and was making good progress, but then I replaced my phone and couldn't get the game save to copy over. Now I've restarted again, and I'm on Taloom's chapter, which was hard enough to force myself through the last time. I will beat this game (since now my saves are on the cloud, hooray!). Then I might go back and get 3 for the phone and finally beat that one, too.

I have literally never played a DQ after 4, which kind of makes me sad. I think one or two of those are also on the phone, so maybe I'll do those after 3?

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

It'll probably be localized by 8-4, too.

Geeze, it feels like like Nier and Revengeance had a baby.

You just know there's going to be swears. All the swears. The best swears.

This discussion has been closed.