As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hes evolving into a...[Star Fox]?

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    I like how they dodged the question of where this game belongs in canon. Reboot seems to be the word, but nobody's actually said it.

Poor Krystal, relegated to non-existence.

The question will inevitably be asked, why cater to the furry crowd. And the answer is rather obvious, for the same reason many JRPGs cater to the fanservice. Because it sells more copies.

It clearly doesn't since the games with Krystal sold poorly enought that Nintendo ended the franchise in command

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    I like how they dodged the question of where this game belongs in canon. Reboot seems to be the word, but nobody's actually said it.

Poor Krystal, relegated to non-existence.

The question will inevitably be asked, why cater to the furry crowd. And the answer is rather obvious, for the same reason many JRPGs cater to the fanservice. Because it sells more copies.

It clearly doesn't since the games with Krystal sold poorly enought that Nintendo ended the franchise in command

Well, I would argue that fact that the on-rails sections in the first two of those games were minimal, and nonexistent in the 3rd (though Command at least had no on-foot shit) is the reason for that. Though Krystal being such a divisive character (part in due to being introduced in Star Fox Adventures, part in due to the furry thing) didn't help matters.

Though speaking of Krystal, since we know Star Wolf is in the game, I wonder which team members will be in there? If this is a "reboot", I would guess the SF64 iteration of the team.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA

A Message from Mr. Miyamoto Regarding Star Fox Zero

I made a big decision last week.

We have been developing Star Fox Zero for Wii U with the aim of releasing it this year. Although we felt that the development had been progressing well, we now believe that we will need a little more time to work on areas such as the unprecedented discovery that we want players to experience in the game by using two screens, and further polishing the level designs and perfecting the tone of the cut scenes. While we have already reached the stage where it would be technically possible to release the title in time for the year-end holiday season, we want to polish the game a bit more so that players will be able to more smoothly grasp the new style of play that we are proposing.

To the people looking forward to the launch of the game this holiday season, I am very sorry.

Star Fox Zero is going to bring new game play and experiences that take it far beyond the framework established by Star Fox 64. All the members of the development team are doing our best so that the final product will not betray your expectations. And the game will not be delayed for a very long time – we’re aiming to launch the game in Q1 2016. Please stay tuned for further announcements.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    WOW....I...think it's for the best?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    "I'd also like to announce of newest team member, Keiji Inafune!"

*screams of anguish*

YL9WnCY.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    "I'd also like to announce of newest team member, Keiji Inafune!"

*screams of anguish*

Someone's really salty about MN9 lol

JtgVX0H.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I didn't even back it! It's just becoming my favorite running gag.

YL9WnCY.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Same here. It's like if Duke Nukem Forever had been crowdfunded

JtgVX0H.png
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Given how short Star Fox games have been, I can't think of more development time as anything other than a universal positive. That does mention polishing existing content instead of creating new content, though...

jothki on
  • Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    to be honest what i saw from the trailers and demos didn't look very good.

There were more enemies on screen in star fox 64. hopefully the extra time to bake will be a good thing.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    As long as this doesn't muck up the release date for the Falco amiibo...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yeah, this was looking like a little nothing game that got bumped up to full fledged actual game, not surprised it was looking a little sparse. Good to hear they're gonna put some more work in.

Oh brilliant
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Maybe now they'll have ground/mountains not look like ass from 2 console generations ago.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    This fucking game is going to break me on the WiiU. I always did like Starfox and knowing Platinum is working on it is just the best thing ever. One of my favorite Nintendo IPs being made by one of my all time favorite developers? Uh oh.

My resistance to buying a WiiU is wearing awfully fucking thin. Especially with Bayonetta 1 and 2 and Wonderful 101 all being a thing on that system. I have a rule that there has to be at least five games I want on a console before I'll buy it and I've got four out of five all as Platinum titles now. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    This fucking game is going to break my on the WiiU. I always did like Starfox and knowing Platinum is working on it is just the best thing ever. One of my favorite Nintendo IPs being made by one of my all time favorite developers. Uh oh.

My resistance to buying a WiiU is wearing awfully fucking thin. Especially with Bayonetta 1 and 2 and Wonderful 101 all being a thing on that system. I have a rule that there has to be at least five games I want on a console before I'll buy it and I've got four out of five all as Platinum titles now. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh.

Don't feel bad. Pure Platinum is quite the accomplishment...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Polaritie wrote: »
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    This fucking game is going to break my on the WiiU. I always did like Starfox and knowing Platinum is working on it is just the best thing ever. One of my favorite Nintendo IPs being made by one of my all time favorite developers. Uh oh.

Don't feel bad. Pure Platinum is quite the accomplishment...

Hahahahahhaah, I hadn't realized what I was saying. All I need is for Mad World to show up on the WiiU (or some other PG game) and I'll have to get one just to be able to say I got Pure Platinum on the WiiU.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Frankly if they find performance an issue, they should make it so that the two screens aren't rendering simultaneously. They could have one be a HUD and the other be either the first or third person view.

Or they could pull off some technical wizardry to have their cake and eat it too.

I just started replaying Assault. The on-foot segments aren't terrible if you leave it at simple run-and-gun stages, it's the instant when platforming gets involved that the problems become apparent. I fell down three stories in a space station and Fox kept on walking like nothing happened.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    skeldare wrote: »

Knowing Platinum, this can only be a good thing.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Another Star Fox Zero trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htMRhXPzYhY

They're leaning heavily into Star Fox 64 nostalgia, which is perfectly alright with me. There's Star Wolf, Kat, classic quotes, branching paths, landmaster sections, and more.

The walker and copter stuff seems lame, but we'll see.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    NOOOOO!

NOOOOOO!

NOT A "PICK UP THING ON A WIRE AND DROP IT ON ANOTHER THING" SECTION!

PLEASE GOD, NOOOOOO!

The rest of the game looks pretty cool, though.

Kadoken on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Nintendo UK launch trailer

https://youtu.be/z3C0qEztrlg

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Oh, there's going to be a Star Fox short anime premiering on streaming Wednesday.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Fan made TV cartoon opening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teB_-fXuOls

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Reviews are coming in and many are pretty average (about what I expected). Giant bomb gave it a 40% though, and you can read it here: http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/star-fox-zero-review/1900-741/

If it's the game I wanted in 2000 then it's the game I want now.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Based on the early reviews, I strongly suspect that the game will be (at least for me) in a similar situation to Kid Icarus: Uprising and Skyward Sword: your enjoyment of the game is predicated on mastery of an unconventional control scheme. I tend to stick with the games I play to the end, so I'm confident I'm going to wind up liking it, but on the timescales that most reviewers operate on (no shade thrown), you're extremely unlikely to reach that point.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    There's a couple of stupid reviews out there... Polygon said it was too bad to even bother finishing the 5 hour campaign and thus unreviewable. Considering it's getting 7s & 8s elsewhere, that's a poor argument IMO.

If I can get Zero and Guard together at a decent price it sounds like a fun time.

urahonky wrote: »
    Reviews are coming in and many are pretty average (about what I expected). Giant bomb gave it a 40% though, and you can read it here: http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/star-fox-zero-review/1900-741/

If it's the game I wanted in 2000 then it's the game I want now.

You and me? On the same page. I keep seeing people say that Star Fox is "obsolete" in 2016, and it's really disheartening thing to read. I get not liking the controls, but I liked Skyward Sword's, so that's probably not going to be a huge issue for me.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Kriegaffe wrote: »
    There's a couple of stupid reviews out there... Polygon said it was too bad to even bother finishing the 5 hour campaign and thus unreviewable. Considering it's getting 7s & 8s elsewhere, that's a poor argument IMO.

If I can get Zero and Guard together at a decent price it sounds like a fun time.

I would have had to give that exact review to Star Fox Command. Two to three levels left me with INTENSE wrist pain. Was not willing to brave more to figure out the "right" way to do it.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Kriegaffe wrote: »

I saw that, what a terrible review (and yes, despite what he said, if you are critiquing a game, that's a review). If you were playing for fun, fine. But if you job is to review the game and you can't bother finishing a 5 hour campaign? You should not be reviewing the damn game.

I've heard rumblings that that guy is really biased against Platinum for some reason too, which he weirdly attributes the entire game to (I was under the impression they only assisted in designing some of the missions and other things - the bulk of the game was by Nintendo...)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    They probably wanted Platinums help upping the action in the game, but with their insistence on that idiotic dual screen control system and wanting the game to run at 60fps on both screens there's really only so much you can do.

Nintendo shot their selves in the foot on this one, this game could have been amazing instead of just middling.

Is the cockpit view required?

edited April 2016
    Arteen wrote: »

Well, you can swap the screens with minus, but yes.
    Viskod wrote: »
    They probably wanted Platinums help upping the action in the game, but with their insistence on that idiotic dual screen control system and wanting the game to run at 60fps on both screens there's really only so much you can do.

Nintendo shot their selves in the foot on this one, this game could have been amazing instead of just middling.

While I'm not going to fully defend the mechanics, from what I've been reading, making it play exactly like Star Fox 64 wouldn't have helped a lot in swaying opinion. People don't want Star Fox.

Zython on
    edited April 2016
    Arteen wrote: »

Whichever view you are not currently using is displayed on the GamePad at all times.

Viskod on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Reviews for Zero are all over the place, but pretty much everyone digs Guard.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Kotaku didn't like the game, which surprised me because they generally give glowing reviews to pretty much anything. But this paragraph stuck out.
    After you initially beat Star Fox Zero’s final boss in a single-sitting playthrough, the game frustratingly flirts with the concept of reconfiguring its levels. Some early levels become accessible with different Star Fox vehicles and flow very differently. A slow-paced level initially navigated carefully with a hovercraft, for example, becomes a rapidly-scrolling mission flown through with an Arwing. The remixes are good. Unfortunately, only a small number of the game’s early levels get these alternate designs, making this promising aspect of the game’s level design feel abandoned halfway through.

Geeze.

This turned out to be kind of a disaster.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    This sounds like one of those games I'll get, enjoy greatly, and then never discuss online, because the topic will inevitably become toxic.

Enlong on