As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

East 2016 Hotel Partners

• PurpleBekPurpleBek Manchester, EnglandRegistered User regular
    The element room is very nice. Long walk from world trade centre stop, well about 15/20 mins for me

pax%20sig.png
  • ZeusheroZeushero PAX -E-ast Registered User regular
    Has anyone had any issues with onpeak and your reservations? I'm checking in tomorrow and hope everything is ok.

• Bunta_FujiwaraBunta_Fujiwara Albany, NYRegistered User regular
    Zeushero wrote: »
    Has anyone had any issues with onpeak and your reservations? I'm checking in tomorrow and hope everything is ok.

Call your hotel directly, you'll put yourself at ease.

zmYaVYP.png
  • LlewellynLlewellyn Brooklyn, MDRegistered User regular
    Zeushero wrote: »

I have not had any issues either last year or this year, but I always call one day ahead directly (front desk, not reservations) to confirm everything. Often, not all details transfer over like email or phone. They are always happy to help and will usually provide you with a direct hotel confirmation number at that point too which makes things easier going forward.

It's important for the hotel to have your valid contact info for several reasons. If they need to make any changes to reservations in advance, they can call you about it. That way you are aware - and your chances of it being a change that favors you are much higher at that point. Finding out at check-in usually means downgrades or swaps instead of upgrades.

fss_overall.png
    Extra Life 2015: Help me 1-UP last year! My 2015 Page
  • craiolacraiola MARegistered User regular
    PurpleBek wrote: »
    The element room is very nice. Long walk from world trade centre stop, well about 15/20 mins for me

Good to hear! My group will be checking in at noon today and were super excited

DXLJjjr.png
    I'm in the pool lol it's really nice

pax%20sig.png
    Complimentary breakfast is good too

pax%20sig.png
  • RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    I've never stayed at the Westin before. Is the walkway open during a certain time? Last time I remember walking past it at 8 AM, it was jammed with people waiting to get in (this was 2012). Is everyone required to wait by the front entrance now?

• tipsy_tommotipsy_tommo Registered User regular
    PurpleBek wrote: »

Were you able to check in early?

People have been checking in all day

pax%20sig.png
  • _jnup_jnup Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I wonder if anybody has check in at Aloft yet.

Feel free to follow me: https://twitter.com/_jnup
  • jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    I have to say, I am very impressed with the Seaport. I checked in about 11am this morning. Everyone is very friendly and you get free wired AND wireless internet! I also have a room overlooking the BCEC. Even though it's a very small walk away, I will take this over the Westin and Omni Parker (previous hotels i've used) any day.

• VermillionDeVermillionDe Registered User regular
    _jnup wrote: »
    I wonder if anybody has check in at Aloft yet.

I'll be checking in there in a few hours. I'll update once I'm settled.

• VermillionDeVermillionDe Registered User regular
    Rooms are a little small here at the aloft, but for the price I think they're actually very nice. Shower, not tub. Mini fridge and a cleverly efficient design for the room. The downstairs bar is pretty nice, and the front desk is like a rave (music is actually pretty good). There's a 24/7 cafe down here which is perfect since we just got in and needed a light dinner. I'm gonna test the walk to the convention center after we eat, then hopefully we'll still have the energy to head over to the pre pax party at the westin.

• ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    @NFG that makes sense haha.

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • rpgamer246rpgamer246 Registered User regular
    Really digging the aloft, and the 3rd party parking next to the element isn't bad, from 3pm today to 3pm Sunday it was $65 with in and out privileges, and it's such a close walk to the center!

• klzklz Registered User regular
    Happy with the Element. Full sized fridge, cookware and utensils (including sharp knives to make real meals), dishwasher and a really nice shower setup. It's a bit of a walk to the front, but later in the day, that side entrance is going to come in extra handy, and the public lot is pretty cheap with full in/out and overnight.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The Westin was advertised everywhere as having free WiFi.

It does not have free WiFi.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • jayh0vajayh0va Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    The Westin was advertised everywhere as having free WiFi.

It does not have free WiFi.

The Westin is the worst. You couldn't pay me to stay there again. The wifi at Aloft is incredible. I got 70 up/70 down Thursday night.

jayh0va on
    npyymaqh3gup.png
  • FunnelKing27FunnelKing27 Registered User regular
    The Seaport is the best hotel i have stayed in besides a 5 star Raddison. Room is great as are the services and amenities.
    Can anyone who has stayed at the Seaport in the past tell me if the elevator has always been the slowest of all time or if it is just this year because they are going through maintenance or something. By the time an elevator comes there are so many people waiting we look like sardines packing in the elevator lol. Still a great hotel with that being its only weak point imo.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The Seaport is the best hotel i have stayed in besides a 5 star Raddison. Room is great as are the services and amenities.
    Can anyone who has stayed at the Seaport in the past tell me if the elevator has always been the slowest of all time or if it is just this year because they are going through maintenance or something. By the time an elevator comes there are so many people waiting we look like sardines packing in the elevator lol. Still a great hotel with that being its only weak point imo.

No, that elevator is the slowest. We got stuck on it two years ago and had to wait for an hour to get unstuck.

I pulled out my laptop and passed the time with the other people in there with Divekick.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    I changed my reservation from the Element to the Aloft, and I'm totally regretting it. The staff here is incredibly helpful, the lobby and bar are great, but the rooms are small, the beds are hard, the sheets feel so rough, and why why why is the sink located outside of the bathroom. I mean really, you go, and then have to open a door to get to the sink. I know it's like a water closet type set up but really that was too much, oh and there is a HUGE air conditioning unit in the room that is super loud. I wouldn't stay here again.

• ScribbledScribbled Registered User regular
    Park Plaza looks incredibly swanky until you get to your room. Cramped little sardine cans. Terrible.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    The seaport is the best hotel

• PidermansVestPidermansVest Registered User regular
    Yikes, the Renaissance certainly likes to nickel and dime its guests, doesn't it? And I'm sort of sure that housekeeping went through what little swag I did pick up, because some of my stuff was under the bed. That's awkward.
    Wish we could've snagged that elusive Thursday at the Seaport and joined you all :) Sounds like a rad place with rad people.

• Bunta_FujiwaraBunta_Fujiwara Albany, NYRegistered User regular
    Been at Westin for about 3 years now, first bad experience last night was the Alarm system going off at like 2am multiple times.

zmYaVYP.png
  • jayh0vajayh0va Registered User regular
    Been at Westin for about 3 years now, first bad experience last night was the Alarm system going off at like 2am multiple times.

I'll be honest...we saw that from aloft and chuckled a little bit.

npyymaqh3gup.png
  • RayzeRayze Registered User regular

It went off at 1 AM for around 10 minutes, but yeah, it was crummy.

• KaronethKaroneth Elder Scrolling Online Co-Host Lakehurst, NJRegistered User regular
    We stayed in an executive suite at the Element. Very roomy room on the corner, kitchen, living room and bedroom. Sink inside the bathroom as expected. Housekeeping staff were awesome and helpful. Kitchen sink had filtered drinking water, beds were great. Room at the desk for up to 5 laptops rocked.

• ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    Karoneth wrote: »
    Sink inside the bathroom as expected.

Aloft... "Expect the Unexpected!"

• TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    Our Thursday night at the Aloft was great and we really enjoyed the room but felt like it the layout made the rooms more cramped than they needed to be. The tap entry for the rooms was great. The elevator took some getting used to but was pretty neat. The room was also unbearably hot at night. We're pretty sure the thermostat would reset itself to mid 70s because we kept dropping it as much as we could and waking up sweating. The parking on the other side of Element was great too. Paid $80 for Thursday afternoon to Sunday afternoon.

We had issues checking into the Westin even though it was the one reservation I had the longest. They couldn't seem to find me at all for nearly half an hour. Finally get that settled after way longer than it ever should have took. The rooms were nice though outdated by comparison to the Aloft. For whatever reason the deadbolt seemed to throw itself every time the door was opened, resulting in the room not being closed off at one point. The lack of free wifi was a real buzzkill as well as just horrible cell reception in general. The constant party vibe felt like a nuisance to me. The Fire alarm fiasco was an absolute shitshow. As weird as it sounds, the elevators were perhaps too fast. Almost everyone in my party would get a weird sense of vertigo and be thrown severely off balance for minutes after taking it to or from the 8th floor.

• acaraba2acaraba2 Tampa, FLRegistered User regular
    I was really pleased with the Element. I wanted to stay there to see what the full kitchen room was like. I didn't used it this year but would definitely stay there again next year. I got a room with double queens and also had a couch. Surprise me with the kitchen that 6 people still fit in there comfortable. The only issue I had was some reason the key cards reset on Thursday a couple times but that was it.

Also, Did anyone else get lucky and book a quad and only get chargerd for single/double? I was quite surprised they didn't correct it when I put everyone name on the room, and even my receipt said it was quad booking.

jf7bixxxlknz.png

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    acaraba2 wrote: »
    I was really pleased with the Element. I wanted to stay there to see what the full kitchen room was like. I didn't used it this year but would definitely stay there again next year. I got a room with double queens and also had a couch. Surprise me with the kitchen that 6 people still fit in there comfortable. The only issue I had was some reason the key cards reset on Thursday a couple times but that was it.

Also, Did anyone else get lucky and book a quad and only get chargerd for single/double? I was quite surprised they didn't correct it when I put everyone name on the room, and even my receipt said it was quad booking.

They did not have their shit together at all. I was supposed to have a double queen - ended up with a single king, took 2 hours to resolve getting another room at a discounted rate.
    Kitchen was great, but the bed was decently hard.

• NFGNFG NintendoFanGirl Registered User regular
    Overall I was happy with our Element stay, with a few minor kinks:
    • Booked the double-bed, was informed that we'd have to take a Queen bed/pullout sofa room, which I was generally okay with, particularly because the staff member that checked us in told me that he was putting us in a great room on the 6th floor with a good view. The room ended up being as far as possible from the elevator which was kind of a pain, and with a view of a parking lot. Not a big deal by any means, but I felt like the front desk dude jipped me and knew by the time I got upstairs I'd be too lazy to try and complain.
    • The room was awesome, but far too cramped for 4 cosplayers. We had to get creative with storage spaces.
    • The pullout sofa was.. not nice. Mattress was covered in vinyl/plastic for cleanliness, which was extremely uncomfortable. Extra sheets weren't even provided, but we were able to split up the blankets/pillows from the main bed just fine. The other option would have been sleeping on the two ends of the sofa, which were large enough for two small people to sleep comfortably; but the sofa was an absolute rock.

I'd be happy to book with Element again because the price for a full kitchen and complimentary breakfast are worth it to me, and the distance from the con is quite short, especially when the side entrance is open. Also, Jimmy Johns.

S2ieAvx.png
  • pelicanflippelicanflip Registered User regular
    Extremely happy with the Element hotel.

Booked a double occupancy with two beds. Check-in was extremely smooth, the staff also offered us complimentary snacks/drinks while we waited to check-in (got some chips and a soda). Complimentary breakfast every day was also nice. Didn't realize there was a pool until the second day, but that's good to know for next year. Wifi is free as well.

Full sized kitchenette, complete with fridge, freezer, dish washer, sink, and stove? So amazing. Made plenty of food, and was able to store lots of stuff.

The parking lot for the Element hotel is also the cheapest rate I've been able to find. We parked our car from Thursday mid-day until Sunday mid-day, and we only paid $65. And we were allowed to come and go as we pleased, as long as we kept our receipt to show them.

Will absolutely be trying for the Element again next year.

• MidnyghtChildeMidnyghtChilde NYRegistered User regular
    We stayed at the Doubletree in Bayside, near the JFK/UMass redline stop again, and while it's not the Westin, it's a great hotel. Parking is $12/night, free wifi, free cookies, free coffee, and its a super short 10 minute drive to the BCEC with no traffic through South Boston. Even with parking at the BCEC being $15, its cheaper parking than the Westin! Last time we requested a minifridge, which I forgot to do this year. There's a grocery store across the street which is nice too.

• SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Got Seaport last year and jumped on it this year, great hotel and service, also like the location closer to the shore. Will try Element next year, I did not realize it has a kitchen.

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    Only issue I had w the element was they took out a full night's deposit previously on my card (3 charges of $64) but my checkout bill reflected only 1 deposit. it took talking to multiple people to clear up their charging $129 too much. ... They said they hadn't 'linked' the other deposits, so check your bills :)

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • XenigmaXenigma Registered User regular
    Loved my stay in the Seaport this year: nice room, fast internet, perfect location. Honestly felt even more convenient than the Westin thanks to being just across the street from the life savers that are 7/11 and Dunkin', not to mention the proximity to the Silver Line station. Will definitely try my best to room there again in the future!

Pins? Pins!
    PAX East Attendee since 2011
  • zambixizambixi Neko Nanny Washington, DCRegistered User regular
    Stayed at the Seaport. They gave us a Queen + Pull-out after we'd booked for quad-occupancy, which was incredibly frustrating. When I complained they did come up and move-out some furniture for us so we had more space, but later that evening I watched some people check-in to a room with two double beds so... Apparently they also charged us an $18 fee for something, though I didn't make the reservation so I didn't end up paying that.

Other than those gripes, it was a great hotel. Close enough to the convention that it was easy to get there in the morning, or go back during the day. Staff was generally friendly and while I'm still bitter over the room downgrade I have nothing but high-praises for the rest of the staff (they made our pull-out bed super-comfy by adding another mattress). I'd definitely stay here again if I were coming up on Thursday and knew I'd get the bed I paid for.