As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wrap Recipes

ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I'm switching up my diet a bit. I can't stand wheat bread, but I do like whole-wheat wraps, so I've been buying them to make wraps with. However, I'm having trouble coming up with a variety of things to do with them.

What I've been doing so far is grilling up a bunch of chicken at once, sticking it in the refrigerator, and making buffalo chicken wraps (the chicken, a slice of reduced fat provolone cheese, and a bunch of buffalo chicken sauce). Sometimes, I'll use a packet of tuna, a slice of cheese, a pickle or two, and some mustard, too. I do both of these hot, as a melt, and it's pretty good.

I want more ideas. I like most kinds of meat, but especially tuna, chicken, and seafood (I can get imitation crab pretty cheap, since I'm in California, and I was gonna start using that, too). Ideally, the wrap should be around 300 calories (80 of which is the tortilla, so 220 to work with). I'd prefer healthier ideas, and it shouldn't be too complicated; I'd prefer stuff I can do with a microwave oven, but I can do dinners with them in a toaster oven, too.

Suggestions?

Thanatos on

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Avocado makes for an amazing wrap, and it goes with pretty much anything. I also dig a wrap of smoked salmon, cream cheese, plenty of sprouts (another wrap all-star) and if you're feeling gourmet some capers.

If you can get some pre-made tabouli from your local supermarket or a deli, that's a really tasty and healthy mix of salad that you can throw in with heaps of stuff. Tabouli, cream cheese and smoked mackeral is the best. The Best.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    ALockslyALocksly Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I used to buy a wrap for lunch at Uni almost every day. It was rice, black beans, salsa and cheese. You can keep tupperware containers with beans and rice and grated cheese in the fridge for conveneince

ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Mix one part "thumping beats" with two parts "phat rhymes" and simmer for 40ish minutes.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    mah lunch:

2 slices roast beef
    hommus
    alfalfa
    tomato
    mushroom

'tis not bad! That was on turkish bread, in a sandwich press, but it should adapt well.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I make some of these at costco. But they're definetly not healthy. They're good though.

Basically; Cranberry cream cheese spread, turkey, lettuce, tomato and swiss cheese.

Pretty good. But I prefer mine without the tomato.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Given the direction of the recommendations, I should probably mention that I don't like sprouts/alfalfa or tomatoes. In fact, I despise tomatoes.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ALocksly wrote:
    I used to buy a wrap for lunch at Uni almost every day. It was rice, black beans, salsa and cheese. You can keep tupperware containers with beans and rice and grated cheese in the fridge for conveneince
    I used to make something very similar to this at home all the time, and it's really good. One of the few "hearty" meals I can eat that doesn't have any kind of meat included. I usually included lettuce and tomato on mine, though, since it doesn't really add many calories.

There's also the classic turkey wrap. Couple slices of deli turkey, sharp cheddar, lettuce, tomato, red onion, and low-fat ranch. Never fails to satisfy.

Edit - Okay, scrap the tomatos.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    KrysanthemumKrysanthemum Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Smoked salmon, cream cheese, red onion, greens. :^:

Krysanthemum on
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Caesar salad wraps are pretty good

Iceberg & Romaine lettuce(mixed for crunch and health factors)
    Sliced chicken breast
    Parmesean cheese
    Caesar salad dressing

deeeeeeelicious

Take some left over stir-fry and some teriyaki sauce for another amazing wrap

Sami on
  • Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ben0207 wrote:
    Mix one part "thumping beats" with two parts "phat rhymes" and simmer for 40ish minutes.

You forgot to add a shake of street cred.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Teh ErickaTeh Ericka Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    so what you do is you buy yourself a tub of premade pesto sauce, right.

then you mix it with some light mayonaise.

slather that stuff on your wrap, throw in some grilled chicken breast, some romaine lettuce, and some parmesan cheese.

i would put tomato too, but you don't like tomato, so FINE.

fucking gold though. seriously.

Teh Ericka on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Mexican chili with feta cheese and salad makes a nice dinner. Might be a bit heavy for lunches though.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    If you're looking for healthy, I would avoid most cheeses, particularly cream cheese as many are suggesting. Small amounts of hard cheese would be better if you have to include cheese. I would suggest a little bit of grated parmessan.

As was mentioned earlier, black beans and rice are pretty simple and tasty, maybe with some shredded lettuce. Remember that whatever you put in the wrap doesn't have to be bare. You can put whatever spices on it however much you want to achieve your desired flavor. Since you don't like tomatoes, you can use chipotle salsa on the suggested mexican style wraps instead of traditional salsa. Some have tomatoes, some don't.

You could always make a filling wrap with just grilled and sauteed vegetables.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Are the black beans and rice served hot or cold?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Well, they obviously have to be cooked first, but after that, it's however you want them. The beauty of this is that it's very flexible to your particular tastes. You could make the wrap itself cold, and then if you feel you want it hot, microwave it for 30-60 seconds. Personally, I would probably have them cold. Serving them hot would be more like a burrito.

Just be sure the beans are drained, otherwise they'll soak through the tortilla and make everything fall apart.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Dalboz wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Well, they obviously have to be cooked first, but after that, it's however you want them. The beauty of this is that it's very flexible to your particular tastes. You could make the wrap itself cold, and then if you feel you want it hot, microwave it for 30-60 seconds. Personally, I would probably have them cold. Serving them hot would be more like a burrito.

Just be sure the beans are drained, otherwise they'll soak through the tortilla and make everything fall apart.
    And you object to burritos why...? :P

Thanatos on
  • Options
    drxand?drxand? Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    mmm this thread makes me want a wrap now

salad wraps are wonderful and definately healthy ++

romaine lettuce, olives, green/yellow/red pepper, onion, banana peppers, mushrooms or whatever your preffered veggies
    with some oil/vinegar or a balsamic vinagrette
    mix it all up in a bowl and then put in the wrap so the dressing is spread throughout properly

middle eastern wraps are delicious
    the place around me does a chicken schwarma wrap thats so good
    hummus, tabouli, lettuce, sliced beets, and the chicken - perhaps you could add feta

or feta, hummus, tabouli, optional rice

rice works awesome with almost anything

black beans and rice + red wine vinegar + onion, and maybe some meat if need be

fish+rice+sauce

brown mustard + ham + romaine + olives + swiss chee optional

EDIT:
    also pretty much anything thats already in your refridgerator right now is fair game for wrap material.

drxand? on
  • Options
    AximAxim Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    nice i will not lie i was tempted to throw down some rap recipes of my own but i'll spare H&A the indignity

i'm going to try some of these out, wraps are my go-to meal -- i usually just buy premarinated souvlaki sticks grill those up with some spinach pita bread and do the romaine, chopped tomatoes, little mayo, little ketchup, grated cheddar, thai rice and some grilled/seasoned veggies. it's all about having a badass sauce in there though that usually makes or breaks it for me

Axim on