As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iPOD Woes

Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
My girlfriend has an older model (b&w screen, non-video) U2 Edition iPod. On a recent car trip we noticed that it would sometimes "freeze" in the middle of a song. A quick reboot would initially fix the problem. However, as time went on it would take longer and longer to reboot and sometimes a picture of a file folder would appear on screen. Now it turns on but the only thing it will do is show the apple logo.

What's causing the issue?

Is there a way to fix it?

Is it even worth fixing at this point, given that prices on non-touch iPods are falling.

steam_sig.png
Tw4win on

• Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the HDD inside the thing is trashed. If you have it enabled for disk access you can try running some windows HDD tools on it.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    ProcrastinatorProcrastinator Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This happened to my old iPod. It would also overheat and sometimes when it would freeze during a song it would not shut off due to inactivity, so it would stay frozen until the battery died, being burning hot all the while.

Mine was still on warranty (thank god I bought the extended one!) and Futureshop fixed it.

Procrastinator on
    plan.jpg
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Tw4win wrote: »
    My girlfriend has an older model (b&w screen, non-video) U2 Edition iPod. On a recent car trip we noticed that it would sometimes "freeze" in the middle of a song. A quick reboot would initially fix the problem. However, as time went on it would take longer and longer to reboot and sometimes a picture of a file folder would appear on screen. Now it turns on but the only thing it will do is show the apple logo.

What's causing the issue?

Is there a way to fix it?

Is it even worth fixing at this point, given that prices on non-touch iPods are falling.

Try activating the iPod in Diagnostic mode hold down the (I believe)Rewind and Center button while its starting up, it has a buncha tests including the one that told me my HDD was busted when I couldn't even turn the iPod on normally.

Burtletoy on