As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This Thread Will Go Down in [History]

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Actually, one interesting thing I learned recently was to do with names in Polish. So, my Polish great grandfather had the last name of Pajaczkowski-Dydynski. Polish double-barreled names aren't that uncommon, but what's interesting is that the Dydynski part was essentially "sold" to him. Some land owner with the last name Dydynski was going to die, and didn't have any heirs. Because he didn't want his name to die out, he sold the land to my great grandfather on the condition that his name would become part of theirs, and thus his name would live on. Apparently, this was pretty common.

Although, after ww2 (well, basically during it), the family dropped the name because the land itself was lost. After German and Russian occupation, they really didn't have any ownership over the land anymore, so they felt that they didn't owe anything to the Dydynski line anymore.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Also I absolutely love German-settled towns in Texas. The people are so much more pleasant and less bigoted, like Fredericksburg.

Also those peaches are divine.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    I'm trying to get back on a genealogy kick myself after digging up a bit of family history last year. Workplaces that have Ancestry accounts are cool.

The main Argh bit right now is trying to get a hold of a great-grandfather's military records. Ottawa has them, and they're being digitized, buuuuut there's over 600,000 of them, they're being digitized alphabetically, and his surname is Stewart. Siiigh.

(Fun thing about family history from his time and the generation or two prior to him - their neck of the woods was such a mining community that in the censuses there'd be two-year-olds with their occupation listed as "miner." Some things make me okay with living in the present..)

Well you certainly wouldn't want them to have the ability to vote as two-year-olds.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    One of my great aunts did a lot of genealogy work a while back, found some interesting stuff out. I'm related by marriage to Jesse James, apparently. Some early Mormon settlers a ways back, lots of hard-scrabble European immigrants who slowly transformed into Oakies (and I do mean Oakies, possum-eatin hand-fishin for catfish type folk.) Got some old journal entries from some distant relative about how she was home with a fever while her husband was off in some damn place on business, and she was home with their four boys and "David's diaper got on fire from sitting too close to the stove, but the burns weren't bad. Gave Noah a whuppin for not watchin his brother close."

My great aunt Opal was one of three sisters, the other two being Ruby and Pearl (yes, really) and they were all, at one time or another, married to my great grandpa Kennedy, who managed to produce 21 children between the three women. The family didn't get wooden flooring until somewhere around the 1950's, and travelled by covered wagon til about 1935.

Opal had to go to Kansas City and sell her good red cow to pay for her divorce.

• GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    My favourite part of history is everything

because lizard people are behind everything

q.e.d.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I've got some fun genealogy stuff:

I'm the fourth cousin, four times removed of Theodore Roosevelt.

Much of my family can be traced back to the 1600s in America, which is pretty good for a white guy.

My family name was, for pretty much a century, the only instance of my name in America. Like, everyone with my last name was related to me, all descended from my great-grandfather, who came here from Italy (where there is a single town that has like, everyone else in the world with my last name).

And speaking of that great-grandfather, I'm sure I've told this story before, but his immigration records have a bit of a, uh, weird thing. Breno Manizza went through Ellis Island in 1904, coming to America to seek his fortune and all of that. He was alone at the time, so he could establish himself for a couple of years in New York before being joined by any family. He was joined in 1910 by his wife, Ida, who he had married in 1908.

Except he was already in America in 1908. He never returned to Italy. Apparently, his brother stood in for him at his own wedding so that Ida would be married to him before she came to the states.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    This is, pretty much, exactly what I was hoping would happen with virtual reality:

http://colosseumlives.com/

I'd be so into visiting a museum that had this set up

There's a video put out by the folks who made it as well, although obviously lacking some of the control that VR would give you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAWTJO6oz-o

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I've got some fun genealogy stuff:

I'm the fourth cousin, four times removed of Theodore Roosevelt.

Much of my family can be traced back to the 1600s in America, which is pretty good for a white guy.

My family name was, for pretty much a century, the only instance of my name in America. Like, everyone with my last name was related to me, all descended from my great-grandfather, who came here from Italy (where there is a single town that has like, everyone else in the world with my last name).

And speaking of that great-grandfather, I'm sure I've told this story before, but his immigration records have a bit of a, uh, weird thing. Breno Manizza went through Ellis Island in 1904, coming to America to seek his fortune and all of that. He was alone at the time, so he could establish himself for a couple of years in New York before being joined by any family. He was joined in 1910 by his wife, Ida, who he had married in 1908.

Except he was already in America in 1908. He never returned to Italy. Apparently, his brother stood in for him at his own wedding so that Ida would be married to him before she came to the states.

@Straightzi, I am once again amazed how similar we seem.

I'm not related to Theodore Roosevelt or anything amazing like that (although my mother claims her family literally came over with the Pilgrims).

But my great-grandfather also immigrated from Italy to New York at the turn of the century.

I presume your great-grandfather did something noble career-wise? Because mine did not.

He was a boxer and an enforcer for the mafia.

And also half-feline.

1929773_28592432216_3321_n.jpg?oh=7513ef7adeb2396d335a409a020518b0&oe=578216E3

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    This is, pretty much, exactly what I was hoping would happen with virtual reality:

http://colosseumlives.com/

I'd be so into visiting a museum that had this set up

There's a video put out by the folks who made it as well, although obviously lacking some of the control that VR would give you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAWTJO6oz-o

When there's a well done Forum, I'd have to avoid buying one of these things because I might never leave.

ASimPerson on
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    While we're on the Romans, I'm getting a kick out of the story bouncing around the last few days about how part of Hannibal's route through the Alps may have been found as a result of horses doing what horses do remaining traceable 2,200 years later.

Most of the coverage and reactions take the standard annoying giggling-schoolkid attitude to the whole thing, but the whole process really is a pretty awesome pileup of interdisciplinary work. It's really neat what happens when you can get a few wildly different disciplines pooling their brains on the same project.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I looked at the Wikipedia article about Isabella of Castile and the introduction states that she "brought the crime rate to the lowest it had been in years"

This made me snort, are you serious, Wikipedia

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    This morning I came across (from one of my primary history sites) some recordings of the oldest complete musical composition that we have available to us.

It's not the oldest, mind you, but it's the oldest that exists in its completed form, it's completed form looking a little something like this:

88882228_133502049383.jpg

It is a burial cylinder (think gravestone) from around the first century. While we have plenty of super old songs and poems, those only exist in a lyrical form, and we have to kind of guess at everything else. This is an example of something with actual musical instruction on it, which has been translated and converted into modern terms, so that we can actually hear what Ancient Greek music would have sounded like (or at least this song).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xERitvFYpAk

The lyrics, translated, go a little something like this:
    While you live, shine
    have no grief at all
    life exists only for a short while
    and time demands its toll.

Alternately, if you want, you can listen to an obnoxious internet man performing it on his guitar!

https://youtu.be/vxlste3JucU?t=1m44s

(the actual song starts at 1:44, if that doesn't work here)

this machine pwns noobs

i want that dude to get trapped in a chemical fire.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    this machine pwns noobs

That dude is hank green, he's great

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    this machine pwns noobs

regardless, that is a lame as hell thing to do to a guitar

"This machine kills fascists."

"This machine surrounds hate and forces it to surrender."

these are things to write on a guitar.

that is just embarrassing.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    this machine pwns noobs

regardless, that is a lame as hell thing to do to a guitar

On the one hand I agree simply because I don't like the phrase, on the other hand I once knew someone with a American Fender Toronado who had a bunch of fucking stickers on it, one of which was a Jigglypuff.

Instruments are for self expression, put whatever you feel like on em.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    His brother already has "this machine kills fascists" on his laptop

Hank's just goofing on that line

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    His brother already has "this machine kills fascists" on his laptop

Hank's just goofing on that line

His brother is Woody Guthrie?!

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

Well those are also dumb things to write on a guitar, they just arent internet dumb

2x39jD4.jpg
  • majanzmajanz Registered User regular
    I see that Messier Mike Duncan has mixed reviews in this thread, but has anyone else here been listening to the Revolutions Podcast?

http://www.revolutionspodcast.com/

The recent Haitian Revolution section was pretty sweet! I knew almost nothing about this period beforehand and now I find it more interesting than the French Revolution - which is taking place at the same time.

San_Domingo.jpg

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Three real standout things from Mike here

- Calling out the participants in the Revolutions he previously covered, that for all their crying about Tyranny and Slavery in real terms this generally boiled down to taxes they didn't wanna pay*, and THIS is what fighting against tyranny looks like
    - I still kinda get chills about how he describes the initial revolt. He helps conjure vivid images of sitting in a city at night watching the countryside glow orange with fire
    - Choosing to cap it off with a history of Haiti. Structurally this episode felt weird, because unlike previous ends where he could pick a concluding part of the revolution to stop, he goes right up to modern times where narratively it feels weird to just stop with an Earthquake and a Cholera epidemic, but that's how real life is, and it's a fascinating recap, even if I am told his inexperience with French pronunciation kinda marrs it

*Not to say hey didn't have valid grievances outside taxes or against the mechanism of tax collection, but when stacked against Haiti decrying "slavery" is abject hyperbole

Anyway, perhaps the most unlikely video to go viral is historical in basis: An animation of RMS Titanic sinking in real time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs9w5bgtJC8

You'd be surprised how tense and engaging this is, and in some ways horrifying

If you follow the links on its page, this is tied to a proposed video game where you have to solve a mystery aboard the ship, and once the iceberg hits you have two hours and forty minutes to solve it. I'd play it. Well technically I did, it was called Titanic: Adventure Out Of Time, but I'd spring for the HD version. There's also an accompanying podcast which syncs up with the video where they talk about parts of its implementation and the events of that night as well.

The Haitian Revolution is fucking bonkers

I think I mostly read about it in The Serpent and the Rainbow, which is a great book to read and maybe a less good book to cite for accurate facts

But while it's smaller in scale than America or France, it's still super significant from a world history perspective (it is at least partially responsible for Napoleon selling off the Louisiana territory), and I'm shocked that it's not talked about more

Like, we still talk about Spartacus

Let's talk about some folks who did the same thing and actually succeeded

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Oooh dannng we talkin' about historical music in here?

Because a student at Oklahoma Christian University took the sheet music being played out of a dude's butt in the Garden of Earthly Delights by Hieronymus Bosch and transcribed it into modern notation, "assuming the second line of the staff is C, as is common for chants of this era." And now you can listen to it.

O3hieDF.jpg

https://youtu.be/OnrICy3Bc2U

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    Gosh I love that sweet butt music

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular

I think I mostly read about it in The Serpent and the Rainbow, which is a great book to read and maybe a less good book to cite for accurate facts

But while it's smaller in scale than America or France, it's still super significant from a world history perspective (it is at least partially responsible for Napoleon selling off the Louisiana territory), and I'm shocked that it's not talked about more

Well it was also ideologically incredibly influential on thinking in the US at the time, in some good and also many awful ways.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

Yes but were those folks who actually succeeded white people?

Fearghaill wrote: »

That's probably the #1 reason why it isn't as well known. Inconvenient for those writing the history to document it.

Probably also why knowledge of Byzantine history drops off a cliff after 476.

Kwoaru wrote: »

Well those are also dumb things to write on a guitar, they just arent internet dumb

son i'm gonna need you to back up and reconsider cuz that's what Woody Guthry and Pete Seeger had on their instruments respectively.

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

I meant the Haitian revolution, FYI. In that the Haitian Revolution was ready made political propaganda for white plantation owners to convince lower class whites to help enforce ever stricter controls over the slave population for fear of a mass slave uprising. Likewise it also served somewhat as a beacon of hope for slaves and free blacks in the US, at least when information about it wasn't heavily suppressed.

Gundi on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

son i'm gonna need you to back up and reconsider cuz that's what Woody Guthry and Pete Seeger had on their instruments respectively.

Smart and talented people say silly stuff all the time.

Those lines aren't, like, terrible. But they very much sound like what a melodramatic kid would write on a guitar.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular

I don't think Pete Seeger would've been okay with someone wishing that someone else would die in a chemical fire because they wrote a silly thing on their guitar

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »

I meant the Haitian revolution, FYI. In that the Haitian Revolution was ready made political propaganda for white plantation owners to convince lower class whites to help enforce ever stricter controls over the slave population for fear of a mass slave uprising. Likewise it also served somewhat as a beacon of hope for slaves and free blacks in the US, at least when information about it wasn't heavily suppressed.

I get that, I was just suggesting that the reason we talk about Spartacus today and not so much the Haitian Revolution is because the Thracians were white proto-europeans.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016

Yeah I dunno I still think they are pretty silly things

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg

I don't think Pete Seeger would've been okay with someone wishing that someone else would die in a chemical fire because they wrote a silly thing on their guitar

I never said anything about him dying! Or even getting hurt.

Also hyperbole and dramatic embellishment for comedic effect are things that exist.

Yeah but

For comedic effect to work, it has to be funny

Ooh hey I forgot to tell this thread something I found out this week

Did y'all know that in 2011 they exhumed and cremated the body of Rudolf Hess, and scattered the ashes to the winds, because his tomb in his hometown had become a site of pilgrimage for neo-Nazis?

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    Ooh hey I forgot to tell this thread something I found out this week

Did y'all know that in 2011 they exhumed and cremated the body of Rudolf Hess, and scattered the ashes to the winds, because his tomb in his hometown had become a site of pilgrimage for neo-Nazis?

I wonder how big the neo-Nazi tourism industry is and how often cities or local organizations have to do stuff like this to cut down on it.

This discussion has been closed.