As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hes evolving into a...[Star Fox]?

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    This sounds like one of those games I'll get, enjoy greatly, and then never discuss online, because the topic will inevitably become toxic.

Star Fox: Other M?

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'm guessing there isn't a demo for this? This sounds like a try-before-you-buy game, but I don't think I'm likely to ever get to try it.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    A lot of the reviews are saying that the controls are difficult but if you stick with it they get better over time. That being the case, I don't think Nintendo will put out a demo as they know it would probably have a negative effect on sales. Demos can be a double edged sword.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    See: Wonderful101 demo.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    This sounds like one of those games I'll get, enjoy greatly, and then never discuss online, because the topic will inevitably become toxic.

The profoundly terrible story for Other M its downfall. It was otherwise forgettably mediocre.

I can't imagine this game will manage that level of infamy.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Aaah, bummer. Star Fox by Platinum is tantalising, but this has a weird vibe of them being overseen to it... Like, they're all about shoving a rail shooter type level into their games, it seems like it should be impossible for them to screw it up.

I dunno. My gut feeling way back was that this was going to be a quick little $15 downloadable game that ended up getting stretched to full feature status, with Platinum brought on to do the stretching. I had faith in P* to be able to do that! :<

Oh brilliant
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I'll be able to play it tomorrow. I think it'll be fun and my buddy is coming over for coop

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
      Watching someone playing this on Twitch, he said it's tricky to get used to, but after he fumbled his way through the game, he immediately wanted to go back through it again.
      That sounds a little more promising.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    • ZythonZython Registered User regular
      klemming wrote: »
      Watching someone playing this on Twitch, he said it's tricky to get used to, but after he fumbled his way through the game, he immediately wanted to go back through it again.

I just did the training. The Areing felt tricky, but something I would have a blast with a little bit of practice. The other vehicles are probably going to take some more getting used to.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
      Steam: pazython
    • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
      So if a level has a branching path, I can just go back and replay that one level to try to open it up, right? It's not like the old games where you have to do a fresh playthrough to try for different paths?

Arteen wrote: »

The profoundly terrible story for Other M its downfall. It was otherwise forgettably mediocre.

I can't imagine this game will manage that level of infamy.

That's fair. At worst it's Star Fox: Lair. ;)

Zython wrote: »
      klemming wrote: »

I just did the training. The Areing felt tricky, but something I would have a blast with a little bit of practice. The other vehicles are probably going to take some more getting used to.

Update: the chickenwalker is actually kind of neat if you keep moving. Maneuvering from a standstill is still awkward. The gyrowing is still lame.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
      edited April 2016
      New Completionist video on StarFox Zero. Nintendo supplied him with a review copy a good month ago so he's had the video already done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xagzb0g8NY

Donnicton on
    • Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
      I've enjoyed the gyroplane the most so far, actually. I'm surprised.

I've had the hardest time with the walker. Can't seem to dodge anything in it.

I agree that the controls take a bit getting used to. I can't wait to get back in the arwing to give it another shot (just finished the stealth mission on Zoness).

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
      Played Sector Alpha.

Slippy... Slippy actually killed something. On purpose. And managed a dumb one-liner upon doing so.

Immersion broken. Worst Star Fox. Pre-order cancelled.

• KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
      I kinda know the game has been rushed; I expect some of the level design to suffer because of that. However, I think the fun we'll have in co-op will probably outweigh that. And I do want to see what all the fuss is about with the controls.

(I've bought it and I'm waiting for the kids to stop playing Minecraft for me to have a go)

Rushed? It was delayed 1/2 a year.

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
      edited April 2016
      Yeah the walker is tricky because I tend to sit still while aiming while flying you can plan where you want to fly while you aim and shoot in another direction. You can hold ZL to strafe (the walker does a dorky shuffle), and this lets you barrel roll with the right stick without double tapping. Playing the first 3 stages, man these gold medals and silver coins are really well hidden, whatever they do. I think I only found 1 gold medal in each stage so far.

So far the aiming with the gamepad in one direction and flying in another really clicks well in all range mode, on the rails parts I tend to just go old school unless there's an obvious target to aim for.

BronzeKoopa on
      That was a good Star Wolf fight I just had.

As someone who dedicates 3% of their brain power to Star Fox 64 quotes, I feel obligated to check this out. But it sounds like Zero should've either been much less like Star Fox 64, or more like it.

Played the first stage solo then up to and including the stealth-mission in co-op.

(note: we found we had to restart each mission to get co-op activated, which was annoying.)

Anyway... I'm having heaps of fun! I was the 'driver' in all the co-op sections. I found all the vehicles controlled well. The walker was the trickiest, but I suppose it helped having my son taking out all the wall cannons while I jumped around the platforms. Overall it's been a complete blast co-ordinating moving and flying with the two of us.

I suppose my biggest complaint is the games pacing is kinda off. StarFox used to be just fly into the screen and blast everything. Now with All-Range Mode, Walker Mode, Gyroscope Mode it's lost some of that sense of forward propulsion. Plus it kinda dilutes what StarFox 'is'.

Anyway, aside from that my purchase feels completely justified.

edited April 2016
      Just completed my first run of the story. All in all, it's basically what I expected of the game. It's a nicely-polished reimagining of 64, with some kickass dogfights and boss fights throughout. It's got a short length, but it's got 64-style branching paths and an arcade-style lives system, so I'll be playing it over in the future. I'll have to go back later and see what other paths open up with wormhole objectives.

If I had a disappointment to voice, it probably has to do with the final level.
      since Venom is, in this continuity, a planet-sized teleportation device hub, I'm guessing there is no equivalent of Normal Path Venom from 64. What I got was reminiscent of Hard Path Venom, complete with final Star Wolf Battle. Which is cool, but I also thought the senic route into venom made for a cool level

In any case, I'd say it's quite good. Probably wouldn't have been a $60 game on its own, but I'd say that, combined with Guard, I have my money's worth.

Is this game using new VAs, or the original 64 crew? The crew sounds way better than in Smash 4, I think.

Enlong on
      All VAs are the same as 64.

They definitely have better voices in mind for this than they did for Smash 4, then.

The cockpit view is so weird. Every time I use it I feel like Luke turning on his targeting computer. More generally, it feels like a physical implementation of switching to the "Iron Sights" view common in most shooters.

Anyway, I just beat the land aster stage. Liked the stage but the boss dragged out a bit.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
      edited April 2016
      Is this game using new VAs, or the original 64 crew? The crew sounds way better than in Smash 4, I think.
      Guess who did the voicework in Smash
      This is false, unless we're counting 64 3D.

Sterica on
      YL9WnCY.png
      Probably my favourite review so far comes from Bit Socket:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7N65IubUXo

Okay, I need this clarified. I thought that 64, 64 3D, and Smash 4 all used the same crew. Is this wrong?

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
      edited April 2016

Okay, I need this clarified. I thought that 64, 64 3D, and Smash 4 all used the same crew. Is this wrong?

Yeah, it's the same crew as Smash 4!

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/characters/Star-Fox/Fox-McCloud/

They changed in the interim, but returned to the original cast for the 3DS remake onwards. Agreed, they sound muuuuch better in this game than in Smash U

Dark Raven X on
      Oh brilliant
      This is horrible.

I really want to love this as I have so much nostalgia for Star Fox 64, but what the heck were they thinking? The forced two screen gameplay isn't just awkward. It's actively detrimental. Aiming in arwing view can sometimes feel sluggish, as if in a heavy-handed way to encourage cockpit view, and some sections have forced cockpit view for no good reason. Chatter only comes from the gamepad, and some sound effects come from both the TV and gamepad, and it's needlessly distracting.

Beyond that, the basic controls are lacking. The barrel roll is on the right stick when the L/R bumpers are right there. Trying to barrel roll by double-tapping the stick left or right is slow and unreliable. And if I have to use the walker again it will be too soon...

I'm starting to understand why that one review claimed to not have finished the game. The gameplay seems fun, but I can't say I actually enjoy playing it right now.

edited April 2016
      Really? I enjoyed the walker a lot. Some boss fights, I used for the ability to aim without moving, especially when I fought the Gigarilla.

I may need to play some more to form a concrete opinion on the aiming. I thought it worked well, but that may just be first impressions. I will say that the screen focus lock thing in all-range mode occasionally got confusing, as I'd try to shoot at something that my Arwing wasn't actually pointing at. But I more or less got the hang of it in later stages.

I'll agree that barrel rolling on the stick isn't the best choice. They could have, perhaps, put bombs on a face button, and used one face button for (context sensitive) somersaulting or U-turning.

Chatter? Well, that's all preference, I guess. I can see what they were going for, at least, similar to what they did with Arkham City.

Enlong on
      I've never been a big fan of Nintendo's second screen fetish, but I haven't found SFZ to be that bad, control-wise.

Sin & Punishment 2 definitely handled the separation of moving and shooting better though.

Dirty wrote: »
      I've never been a big fan of Nintendo's second screen fetish, but I haven't found SFZ to be that bad, control-wise.

Sin & Punishment 2 definitely handled the separation of moving and shooting better though.

I need to get back to my playthrough of S&P 2. I never did unlock Isa and Kachi mode.

I'd love a new game in that series, or a remake of Star Successor, with a proper 2-player mode.

I think the Remote+Nunchuck combo was perfect for that kind of game. Sad knowing we won't be seeing that in the future.

Also, I like SFZ having the chatter on the pad, because mute them so easily when I need them to shut up.

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
      Getting mission accomplished on the first boss on stage 1,
      When you unlock walker mode replay this stage and destroy one of the boss's segments. There will be a hole you can fly into and transform into walker mode to destroy the boss's power core so he can't escape.

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      Man I am really enjoying this. Coop is gonna be fun tonight!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
        Getting mission accomplished on the first boss on stage 1,
        When you unlock walker mode replay this stage and destroy one of the boss's segments. There will be a hole you can fly into and transform into walker mode to destroy the boss's power core so he can't escape.

...you can do that boss without doing that?
        I guess it was a little odd that stage 2 introduced the walker after I'd already been introduced to it in stage 1...

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
        I'd love to pick this up simply for the co-op mode (me flying, wife on guns) but she's so busy with work and getting her Master's I know we'll never get to play. :(

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
        Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
        Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
        Steam ID
        Twitch Page
      • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
        edited April 2016
        First off: voice acting gets shit for credit and I wish studios were more open about crediting their cast.

Now, the 64 cast is missing people. Rick May, the original Peppy, was replaced in 64 3D. I have heard rumors that he was diagnosed with throat cancer, but the man has no online presenced so I have no fucking clue how people confirmed that. Still, he's not in the game. Bill Johns, the original Falco, did work for like two games and proceeded to vanish from games until like 2013. He's not voicing Falco.

Fox and Slippy, from what I can tell, are back to their 64 voices. This is the same cast as Smash 4 and, more or less, 64 3DS.

It looks like Star Wolf is a mixed bag, with Wolf going back to Brawl's Jay Ward (maybe minus the southern twang?), Leon is the original Ja Green, Pigma is also his original, and since Andrew was Bill Johns I assume he's going to have a newer VA.

Sterica on
        YL9WnCY.png
        Well, then I gotta applaud Fox's VA for his work in SFZero. I much prefer it to his Smash 4 voice for Fox, and consider it pretty much on par with Fox's Assault voice.