As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Counting down: Type-Zero days until this [Final Fantasy] thread is obsolete!

• Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    It helped that FFX had some really interesting battles that made full use of the options that they had and required you to think strategically and plan ahead. Like most RPGs, you could theoretically just cheese them by mega grinding, but the game didn't really encourage you to do so.

Some of FFX's major battles were the most fun I've ever had with the FF battle system. I never got into the optional stuff, but fights like the Seymours, Sin pieces, and especially Yunalesca were a blast. They were challenging and tense, and when you beat them you felt like you'd actually done something.

Compare with, say, FF8, where you literally have to handicap yourself, or just refuse to do the easy thing and Renzokuken every enemy to death in a couple of turns.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Is it true that 100 nobles is easy, now?

• Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    I just did it pressing the correct button in approximately the amount of time it took for the action to be completed. I don't know if that's easier than it used to be.

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    I love FFX's combat system on a basic level, but hate the SMT-esque simplicity of "Counter X enemy type with Y character". If they brought this kind of turn-based back, I'd want all party members in combat at all times (no swapping), and no reliance on such a simple counter/weakness mechanic.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Been playing a lot of Smash Bros this week, trying to clear the challenge board, beat Classic 9.0 without dying. Been using Cloud, cause. Well. Cloud!

When I was reading the Smash Wiki for info on his moves, I came across this bit talking about the origins of Omnislash;
    Even if the player doesn't learn Omnislash, Cloud will still have it during the final confrontation against Sephiroth. This battle uses a different battle model for Cloud, making Omnislash look slightly different.

...whaaat? So I go look it up and holy shit. Cloud indeed has a higher detail character model in the final battle.

clouds.jpg

how the hell did I never notice this before? What's the story with this? Is there a reason they used this one higher detail model for one scene?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »

I think they redid it so there's a larger margin to press the button prompts (since the old way really wouldn't grok with a touchscreen interface), and possibly allowed you to make some mistakes?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Been playing a lot of Smash Bros this week, trying to clear the challenge board, beat Classic 9.0 without dying. Been using Cloud, cause. Well. Cloud!

When I was reading the Smash Wiki for info on his moves, I came across this bit talking about the origins of Omnislash;
    Even if the player doesn't learn Omnislash, Cloud will still have it during the final confrontation against Sephiroth. This battle uses a different battle model for Cloud, making Omnislash look slightly different.

...whaaat? So I go look it up and holy shit. Cloud indeed has a higher detail character model in the final battle.

clouds.jpg

how the hell did I never notice this before? What's the story with this? Is there a reason they used this one higher detail model for one scene?

I mean, the obvious would be because its because of its significance. From my memory, isn't the whole battle scene like empty space? Seems like they put all the processing power into the models at that point.

Also could be because it was done at the end of the games dev cycle, and someone had a better model laying around and they figured what better place to use it?

I certainly never noticed though, but at that point in the game you really aren't paying attention to that.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    I never noticed the higher-detail model for the final thing either.

I was too busy doing things like laughing at Cloud Omnislashing Sephiroth using the nail bat.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

I think they redid it so there's a larger margin to press the button prompts (since the old way really wouldn't grok with a touchscreen interface), and possibly allowed you to make some mistakes?

I think you might still need no mistakes, because on my first attempt I made about 4 and got like 71%. But the timing is waaay easier. When I first played FFIX back in the day it took so many tries. I got it on my second this time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular

clouds.jpg

It could also be for a much dumber reason. IIRC you got to disc 3 shortly before the final fight so they simply had the space for the larger model textures.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    It's probably just because that final scene needed to look cool.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Reminds me of my favorite crazy little detail: the battle scar that Cloud gets from that final fight across his left eyebrow is permanent, and can be seen at certain scenes in Advent Children.

• Options
    it's unfortunate he also gets shot in the intro to AC, right in the same place as his scar. I misattributed the scar to that intro injury, y'know?

Similarly I remember there was a lot of confusion back when it first came out as to why Kadaj freaks out when he examines the JENOVA box in the church, because people thought the big chunk missing from the side was from Rufus shooting it earlier - and Kadaj checks the box out after that bit and is happy. They missed the fact that the damage happens when Cloud catches up to Kadaj on the highway - he attacks the box, not Kadaj, and the camera focuses on Cloud's arm getting sliced instead of the box.

That movie is packed with lil' details huh.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

I think you might still need no mistakes, because on my first attempt I made about 4 and got like 71%. But the timing is waaay easier. When I first played FFIX back in the day it took so many tries. I got it on my second this time.

Playing it with a Xbox controller is messing with my mind, though.
    "Press X!"
    [presses A]

Damn you muscle memory.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

"Press X!"
    [presses A]

Damn you muscle memory.

Yeah it's even worse on FFVIII using a PS4 controller on steam.

Press B1! ....

Enter in code 2134 (Presses B2, B1, B3, and B4 but the game thinks it's supposed to be B3, B2, B4, B1).

Squall uses B6 to activate his gunblade! ....I'm going to assume that's R1 and mapped properly....

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    My mind can mentally map XBox button prompts to the equivalent PS buttons, because fuck if I'm not using a PS4 controller for PC controller play when it's the best controller out there right now.

But yeah, the DINPUT # prompts totally lose me and I have no idea what to push. If A game uses those for non 360/XB1 pads I just trick my computer to thinking my PS4 pad is one of those.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    I stil fuck up sometimes in games with QTEs after playing some old SNES game.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options

"Press X!"
    [presses A]

Damn you muscle memory.
    For a moment I thought you were talking about it not displaying remapped keys properly*, but I then I got what you were saying.

*For the faults this port has (no volume/music control among others) I do like that it handles rebound keys well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YAY!

I love her work <3

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Yoko Shimomura is responsible for many incredible pieces of music. Top of the list?

- Dearly Beloved, main theme from the Kingdom Hearts series
    - Beware the Forest Mushrooms, the forest maze theme from Super Mario RPG
    - Megalomania, boss music from LiveALive
    - Pain the Universe, boss music from Legend of Mana
    - GUILE'S THEME, from Street Fighter 2! Say whaaaaaaat?!

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Breaking news: Final Fantasy XV will have car skin DLC:

CgrEyHqWMAAa4dO.jpg:large

.....I kind of want it.

• Options
    Yoko Shimomura is responsible for many incredible pieces of music. Top of the list?

Yeah, the first time I went back and played Super Mario RPG after playing Legend of Mana I was like waitaminute.

The mushroom town (or mushroom forest, I forget which) track is reaaaally similar to one of the LoM ones.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Chocobo Hot and Cold with super speed mode is actually tolerable!
    The timer doesn't go down so you can almost always get the item cap bonus, and frequently the 2 items in 5 seconds bonus.
    I got 300 points in one run.
    Took me 10-15 minutes to get everything in the first chocobo forest and almost 2000 points.

edit: Also man, the Steam discussion forum for FFIX has some garbage threads.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I kinda liked hot and cold. I got really good at it. It's really pretty easy once you realize that the treasures seem to have spawn points rather than being completely random.

• Options
    Yeah, back when I first played IX it was okay. But I ain't got time for that now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Breaking news: Final Fantasy XV will have car skin DLC:

CgrEyHqWMAAa4dO.jpg:large

.....I kind of want it.

Angler? As in fishing?

....... Fuck.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Gah fucking FFT. There I was, just cruising through story battles with ninja Ramza thinking to myself "This is way easier than I remember". Then BAM, Velius and friends stopped by just to say fuck you and kicked over some flowers on their way out. Spent way too many attempts trying to beat him legit before I decided to cheese it with yell spam, and even that took a couple of tries to get the movement and timing down.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    Gah fucking FFT. There I was, just cruising through story battles with ninja Ramza thinking to myself "This is way easier than I remember". Then BAM, Velius and friends stopped by just to say fuck you and kicked over some flowers on their way out. Spent way too many attempts trying to beat him legit before I decided to cheese it with yell spam, and even that took a couple of tries to get the movement and timing down.

To be fair, that one fight is an order of magnitude harder than pretty much anything else in that game. That one level destroyed so many save files as unwinnable.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Chocobo Hot and Cold with super speed mode is actually tolerable!
    The timer doesn't go down so you can almost always get the item cap bonus, and frequently the 2 items in 5 seconds bonus.
    I got 300 points in one run.
    Took me 10-15 minutes to get everything in the first chocobo forest and almost 2000 points.

edit: Also man, the Steam discussion forum for FFIX has some garbage threads.

Holy shit why haven't I thought to turbo Hot and Cold?

Well aside from how it's basically uncontrollable.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Basically once you get in the close area just spam tap the dig button while tapping in various directions.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Wait, there's a legit way to beat Velius without Yell Spam?

• Options

She worked for capcom before coming to square. She didn't just compose Guile's theme, she was actually the main composer for Street Fighter 2.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »

To be fair, that one fight is an order of magnitude harder than pretty much anything else in that game. That one level destroyed so many save files as unwinnable.

Yeah it's shocking how big of a difficulty jump it is. I don't even know how you'd get past Wiegraf if you were running a caster or support Ramza.

Wait, there's a legit way to beat Velius without Yell Spam?

I came close (got lucky with crits) my first attempt. Was probably only about 150hp away when I died, but I haven't seen any strategies that are consistent other than abusing yell.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    You can always grind a melee fighter class beforehand for a while. It takes longer than yelling, but it's what I did my first playthrough because I didn't know about the yell trick.

Well. Second playthrough. My first one died in that horrible castle

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Yeah, my first playthrough I had a pretty legit ninja or samurai ramza, that had either bushido or throw as his second active ability. You can do a lot of damage throwing certain kinds of weapons (axes mainly), and you can heal pretty well with the healy katana.

• Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    My strategy consisted of high brave and auto potion. I used auto potion for like everything. Just sell all the low tier ones and every time he hits, Ramza recovers 150 health automatically. Gave a lot of wiggle room.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I used the the Monk skill that would refill your HP to full as a counter whenever it was reduced to critical. Two Lightning Stabs from Wiegraf put me at critical but not dead, so he couldn't kill me.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Making ramza a black mage makes most of the game a joke, btw.

• Options
    Black Mage? Well he does have high Faith...I never found Black Magic reliable in FFT.

This discussion has been closed.