As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thornwatch

2»

• Options
    evil santaevil santa To infinity...and beyond!Registered User regular
    It's unlikely at this stage. Mike mentioned that Eyrewood (And Thornwatch) might be at PAX South next year

Pinny Pals Profile

“I let out a battle cry. Sure, a lot of people might have mistaken it for a sudden yelp of unmanly fear, but trust me. It was a battle cry.”
  • Options
    lettheashesfalllettheashesfall Registered User new member
    I have been checking this thread periodically for awhile now, and finally decided to join the forums. Ever since reading the first lookouts comic, I have been enamored with the whole Eyrewood world. I love boardgames, dnd, and magic; I cannot wait to get my hands on this game. Listening to the playthrough podcast has me absolutely foaming at the mouth with anticipation. I know that this is an important project and am happy that they are taking time to ensure that its release is solid, but I feel so impatient. I need to play this game! Any updates from pax? Any idea of when to expect a release? I live in Illinois, which is just about as far away from the three US pax locations as you can get.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    After playtesting this at PAXAUS 2014 and not being able to go this year I was really hoping to hear a few more tidbits of info - can't wait to be able to play this at home with friends!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Jazzy wrote: »
    Will there be any Thornwatch stuff at PAX Aus this year?

NOPE.

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    CrackerAxeCrackerAxe Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    The Gazelle and News post mention the release of a new board game..... I think Thornwatch would rate more hype, but I'm still hoping.

• Options
    sennohkisennohki Hobart, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Aaaand your hopes are dashed.

• Options
    Sounds like there will be more news after PAX South - can't wait to hear it.

My feelings on the news post about how much it has changed are complicated - I really enjoyed the game I playtested at PAX Aus in 2014 so I don't want it to change too much, but I'm sure Mike won't let them alter 'his baby' beyond recognition.

• Options
    Hopefully we will see some of the players from the recent playtest in South commenting here to give us an update on the state of the game.

Pinny Pals Profile

“I let out a battle cry. Sure, a lot of people might have mistaken it for a sudden yelp of unmanly fear, but trust me. It was a battle cry.”
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    evil santa wrote: »
    Hopefully we will see some of the players from the recent playtest in South commenting here to give us an update on the state of the game.

Yeah, I can't find any news or media online from South. Would be nice if the people who couldn't attend could get an update. Last time I saw it being played or spoken about it sounded super fun, but Mike said in a Q&A that the Judge or DM or whatever is basically a completely different game now with resources and the ability to control the whole forest.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Tasty WafflesTasty Waffles Registered User regular
    This was a post on the PAX subreddit by KnightNight- and he was a GM play testing the game. The link to his thoughts about it are here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PAX/comments/44d6gv/south_i_was_one_of_the_gms_for_the_eyrewood/

• Options
    KeitreKeitre Registered User regular
    I played Thornwatch at East a year or two ago and I played it at South this year. Three big things stuck out as having changed. Keep in mind this is all from my memory, which is not great.

Thornwatch is now one of three games that can all be plugged into each other and the whole game is called Eyrewood Adventures. You can play a game with three Thornwatch "characters" or a Thornwatch and a Daughter or four Lookouts or whatever. They can all be used together and the game will supposedly accommodate the three different play styles. Thornwatch is designed for the player who wants to just "sit down and go" - Thornwatch guys are already powerful but have stuff going on. Lookouts are for players who want their character to level up over the course of a game or several games. Daughters were talked about as having a sort of base-building play style. They have an area on the map that is theirs and they build and manipulate it.

The GM now has a sort of agency of his/her own, but it didn't seem very fleshed out yet. Basically there are a few ways for the GM to gain "ebb" points. He can spend these points to do things like move the monsters in the momentum order, attack extra times / for extra damage, move faster, etc. There didn't really seem to be a lot of room for creativity, though.

The map is no longer a grid of squares, but a map consisting of "zones" that can be moved around into different shapes and things. The zones don't have to end up being arranged in a square, and not all the individual zones were square. Think tetrominos. So you can have a narrow bridge over a gorge, etc. The map also has comic-book style text boxes that lie face-down on the zones and are flipped under certain conditions. They change how things work in that zone like "blocks 1 ranged damage dice" or "you have to spend a standard action on top of your move action to leave this zone."

• Options
    Any updates on Thornwatch/Eyrewood Adventures from East?

Pinny Pals Profile

• Options
    nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    They had a playtest at East and said based on how that goes, there will be more information at West. They may have release information or at least tell plans for release then.

• Options
    Tasty WafflesTasty Waffles Registered User regular
    I got to play test it out at Gen Con this year and it was fantastic. Boardgamegeek.com posted an hour long overview and play of the latest build. Check it out! https://youtu.be/kANVkHrVJIo

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Kickstarter announced at PAX!

• Options
    swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    The kickstarter feels a bit anemic. I'd expect a pic of the box contents (and ideally expansions to the box contents based on stretch goals, a la the Dark Souls or Pillars of eternity board/card game kickstarters.)

And I guess the momentum thing is tied to a game mechanic, but I find it confusing as tied to the stretch goals.

300% of goal in the first couple of days is pretty great, though. I hope the campaign keeps on doing well.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    There's a Thornwatch module on Tabletop Simulator using the print and play rules, if anyone is interested in trying it out.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    I got Tabletop simulator, Anyone want to play Thornwatch?

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    thornwatchitethornwatchite Registered User new member
    edited September 2016
    Hi guys, I'm having a pretty tough time with the Riddle of Spring and Salt.

It doesn't seem to be as simple as choosing the right red words - I thought I had something good going on with 'Harken How This ____ ____' by merging the two red words in each couplet, but I don't have any good idea for the last two.

Any hints in the right direction would be great!

EDIT: I figured it out. PM me if you'd like any help.

thornwatchite on
  • Options
    Just did a game of Thornwatch with two random people on TTS, and I was amazed by how fast they picked it up, one guy said he really liked it as well, so for two randos who never heard of the game, props to the designers!

HLRpxno.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Alright, pitched in on the kickstarter.

That box sure is fancy, but I don't know if I can justify it. Do we know what the unupgraded player tokens will look like?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Apparently, they'll be the artwork, but on the cardboard style backing like most board games.

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
  • Options
    PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    If this is the wrong place to ask, my bad.

It's my first time backing a Kickstarter Project. They've taken my monies. I'm just wondering when I get to give them my info for shipping (want to make sure I haven't missed anything).

Cheers.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I got an e-mail late June from the team talking about physical items offered and asking me to confirm my shipping address - have you been getting the Project Update emails at all?

Whoops I'm a dumbass, I was thinking of the Automata kickstarter.

McFodder on
  • Options
    PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »
    I got an e-mail late June from the team talking about physical items offered and asking me to confirm my shipping address - have you been getting the Project Update emails at all?

McFodder wrote: »

Have been getting updates. Appreciate the answer regardless!

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options
    For those of us who missed out on the Kickstarter due to money or whatever else, how would one secure a copy of the main box + expansion? I just read the KickStarter update that they've finalized the product and set printers to go, so I'm 100% interested in getting in now if possible.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Once all the backers are fulfilled, we'll be selling it on the PA store

• Options
    Excellent, thank you Tube!

• Options
    edited July 2018
    For anyone who missed the post or are not part of the mailing list, Thornwatch pre-order and Expansion pre-order are on sale in the PA Store! I locked mine in as soon as I saw the email.

Mike will also be running a demo of it today:
    If you’d like to see what Thornwatch is all about you can tune into our Twitch channel this afternoon. I’ll be running the game for a few of my friends and it will cover all the basics. The game starts at 2PM PST and I’ll do my best to run the game and answer any questions that pop up in the chat. So come hang out and let me show you my game!

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    For anyone who missed the post or are not part of the mailing list, Thornwatch pre-order and Expansion pre-order are on sale in the PA Store! I locked mine in as soon as I saw the email.

If you’d like to see what Thornwatch is all about you can tune into our Twitch channel this afternoon. I’ll be running the game for a few of my friends and it will cover all the basics. The game starts at 2PM PST and I’ll do my best to run the game and answer any questions that pop up in the chat. So come hang out and let me show you my game!

When I got my game, I was so excited. I've been super hyped for this for a number of years. It was great to watch the game demo'd, I can't wait to get it to the table. Unfortunately, I do want to point out that the quality of the materials is not great. The cards are thin, and came with edges cracking. The cardboard pieces are not great punches, there was some tearing. You will 100% need to sleeve the cards for long term card health.

League of Legends:Varega
  • Options
    cantevenusethiscantevenusethis Registered User new member
    edited July 2018
    Varega wrote: »

When I got my game, I was so excited. I've been super hyped for this for a number of years. It was great to watch the game demo'd, I can't wait to get it to the table. Unfortunately, I do want to point out that the quality of the materials is not great. The cards are thin, and came with edges cracking. The cardboard pieces are not great punches, there was some tearing. You will 100% need to sleeve the cards for long term card health.

Speaking of sleeves, I'm looking to order some ahead of time, I won't have my game until August. Any chance you could clue me in on which sets of cards use both sides, and which have generic backs? Trying to get an idea of how many to order, and I didn't want to sleeve the whole thing up in all clear sleeves.

Thanks!

cantevenusethis on
  • Options
    Hey all, this past week I took quite a bit of time to import scans and camera pictures to create a module inside of Tabletop Simulator for Penny Arcade's Thornwatch board game as a hobby project. Here's a link if you would like to check it out. It includes everything you need for the base game, and I have the scans ready for the expansion to import soon.