As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WIN8 & WIN10] Search Energy Star, learn about windows in windows using Windows.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Guys, we can't turn into Reddit if we keep apologizing.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Love how that's the top of a page.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Hey, Win7/10 question; Is there any way I can test to see if I can remember my Windows password?
    I set it to auto-login pretty much as soon as I got it, and I'm assuming that upgrading to Win10 will involve it asking me for it.
    I have a few guesses at what it is, but I'd like to know if I'm right before I possibly lock away all my stuff.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Hey, Win7/10 question; Is there any way I can test to see if I can remember my Windows password?
    I set it to auto-login pretty much as soon as I got it, and I'm assuming that upgrading to Win10 will involve it asking me for it.
    I have a few guesses at what it is, but I'd like to know if I'm right before I possibly lock away all my stuff.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/reset-windows-password#1TC=windows-7

Just reset the guy and save the headache?

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    @klemming

shift+right click some program, say 'run as different user'

you can put in the account your logged in as, it don't care, and it'll fail out if the password is wrong

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Quick question. First time on an SSD, and I remember reading about certain tweaks for Windows that I'm supposed to do? I have no idea if any of that stuff is at all relevant since the Win7 days.

It was a fresh install and I have a 3TB HDD as well.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Don't schedule disk defragmentation on an SSD, in fact don't defragment an SSD at all. SSD's done need it like traditional HDD's do and it's actually bad for them.

Gaslight wrote: »
    Don't schedule disk defragmentation on an SSD, in fact don't defragment an SSD at all. SSD's done need it like traditional HDD's do and it's actually bad for them.

in fact, win 8.x and 10 are smart enough to detect that it is an SSD, and won't do anything like defragmenting it that will could reduce the life of the drive.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    related: we're coming up to page 100, and our glorious thread starter has been banned, by his own request according to the thread in debate and discourse.

I can start the next thread, unless someone else really wants to do it.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

in fact, win 8.x and 10 are smart enough to detect that it is an SSD, and won't do anything like defragmenting it that will could reduce the life of the drive.

Yup, the builtin optimize/defrag will perform different operations depending on the disk (TRIM on SSD, defrag for a platter, space optimization on a storage space).

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »

Yup, the builtin optimize/defrag will perform different operations depending on the disk (TRIM on SSD, defrag for a platter, space optimization on a storage space).

What about things like moving the page file to the HDD, or getting rid of the hibernation file?

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular

That's cool, I had SSD's on 7 and always heard "don't defrag them," skipped 8 to go directly to 10 and didn't know they had made these improvements.

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    iguanacus wrote: »
    Quick question. First time on an SSD, and I remember reading about certain tweaks for Windows that I'm supposed to do? I have no idea if any of that stuff is at all relevant since the Win7 days.

It was a fresh install and I have a 3TB HDD as well.

Not much to do other than make sure your BIOS has your SSD set up in AHCI mode. Windows 10 can handle the rest.

steam_sig.png
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    iguanacus wrote: »

What about things like moving the page file to the HDD, or getting rid of the hibernation file?

Don't bother, tests have been done and most ssds will last something like 5 years even if your insane and writing 50 TB a day to the drive.

just set the drive to AHCI mode in the bios and windows will handle the rest.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Just make sure you set it to AHCI before installing Windows or after installing the AHCI drivers or all you'll get are blue screens.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    win 10 question:

So i just recently upgraded to windows 10 and I'm having a curious ... issue.
    The system will randomly decide that my right speaker/earpiece needs to be way louder than the left.
    There's no surefire way for me to fix this, I have 2 sound cards and the issue keeps occuring to both, and I had no problems with win 8.
    What I'm getting it is win10 is borked somewhere, I was wondering if any of you had a fix?

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    edited April 2016
    New Insider build on Fast Ring for PC today, includes the first go at a lot of the features announced in the Anniversary update.

There are some big changes for those who think that the full screen start experience is a step back from Windows 8 on Tablets. You can now toggle a full screen all apps list when using start full screen. And if you really hate the taskbar in tablet mode there will be an option to hide it. We'll see how useful that ends up being since a good chunk of the interface controls live there, even in tablet mode. But hey, if that really bothered you, there's an option now, which is a good thing,

There are improvements to the all apps and frequently used list in start menu mode as well, supposedly less cluttered than before.

There are a bunch of other things, including action center improvements, windows ink, etc. But i know the start menu and start screen are some of the biggest bones of contention 'round these parts.

I can't wait to try it out tonight.

EDIT: list of new things. https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/66617/blockbuster-new-windows-10-insider-build-provides-first-public-peek-ink-many-new-features

wunderbar on
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I'll wait for the slow ring version that doesn't break all my shit in a few months :P

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Super interested in the ink stuff since I have a Surface, but hopefully it won't quite be as broken as the last fast build.

edit: oh and finally a trackpad gesture to switch virtual desktops, which is something I really missed from OSX.

Zxerol on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    They actually managed to add more unnecessary clutter to the All Apps list. I'm sort of impressed.

Nice that notification center gets its own taskbar space now instead of being crammed with the systray. And having the clock on all screens in multimonitor.

It's the little "why the hell wasn't that the case to begin with" things.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I'm curious how Cortana changed. There was already a ton of obvious functionality that could be restricted to your system alone (like asking to open an app) or where the response will be completely generic (like asking for information about a place), hopefully people will be able to use that without needing to set up an account. Needing an account to get non-local reminders, personalized speech recognition, or personalized information broadcasts will still make sense.

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Quick question: anyone know a good, as-complete-as-possible guide to unsticking a Windows 10 update that's stuck? Over the last 2-3 days, it seems that W10 has been trying to install the same update, over and over and over. (It's this one: "Upgrade to Windows 10 Home, version 1511, 10586.") I've tried the obvious things, but nothing has worked so far.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Quick question: anyone know a good, as-complete-as-possible guide to unsticking a Windows 10 update that's stuck? Over the last 2-3 days, it seems that W10 has been trying to install the same update, over and over and over. (It's this one: "Upgrade to Windows 10 Home, version 1511, 10586.") I've tried the obvious things, but nothing has worked so far.

are you in an older version of windows and you want to update to win10 but it isnt working because derpcrosoft?

then download the "windows 10 media creation tool".
    it'll bypass all that nonsense.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Nope, it's been Windows 10 since the launch, pretty much, and the system has been updating itself normally for months. It's just now that the regular updates got stuck somehow.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    so Tablet mode on the new fast ring build is a lot better. You have two views, pinned tabs, and all apps, you toggle them and whichever is toggled is the one it stays on. and instead of it just being a tiny column on the left all apps shows full screen. it's still a vertially scrolling list, but in landscape mode it groups the apps in horizontal rows alphabetically. On my Venue 8 pro for example, I have 8 apps that start with the letter S. Those apps are grouped into 3 columns together, then the T apps are below that, etc. It is still a vertial scrolling list which is fine with me, and if you say have one "D" app it looks a little weird at first but I think I like it quite a bit.

the option to hide the taskbar will be welcome to those who want it. when you're on the start screen it is always visible, but when you go into an app it hides, and you can bring it up by swiping up from the bottom. It works well enough. I'm used to windows and android devices with the on screen bar at the bottom, been using android phones like that since 2011, so I'm going to keep it always visible, but I can definitely see those who hate the pixels of vertical space it takes appreciating the ability to hide it.

couple little things I've noticed. the action center icon being to the right of the clock will take getting used to. Not sure if I like it or hate it yet, I think I'll like it better on a tablet. there are now unread badges on the action center icon, as well as the mail app icon pinned to my taskbar.

For bugs, half my windows store apps won't launch. I don't use very many on the desktop so it's not a huge deal, but fair warning.

Oh, and for the new all apps look in the start menu and tablet mode, I've always advocated this, but I *highly* recommend turning off the recently used and recently installed apps in settings, makes it look a lot cleaner.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Nope, it's been Windows 10 since the launch, pretty much, and the system has been updating itself normally for months. It's just now that the regular updates got stuck somehow.

1511 is the big service pack they're not calling a service pack. Have you tried installing it manually?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Shadowfire wrote: »

1511 is the big service pack they're not calling a service pack. Have you tried installing it manually?

I don' t think you can install 1511 manually without a fresh install of windows.

Shadowfire wrote: »

I don' t think you can install 1511 manually without a fresh install of windows.

Actually, I think you are right there. Ignore my previous comment.

Other thoughts. Have you removed all peripherals but the mouse from the system before the update? I know some devices can give the update trouble, especial SD cards and flash drives. Failing that, try the FixIt on Microsoft's site to reset Windows update.

Dumb question... Do you have plenty of disk space available?

and actually I'd ask if this is a recent updates. I've seen a couple posts that the most recent updates aren't installing for everyone.

Thanks. I haven't yet tried removing the peripherals, though I'll give that one a try. I'm pretty sure the update is recent, since it's only been a few days that I've noticed this updating behaviour. Disk space should definitely not be an issue, as I've got a few hundred GBs free on my main drive.

I do have a restore point from roughly two weeks ago, so I might give that one a try. Is it possible this kind of thing will resolve itself? I seem to remember Win 7 or Win 8 updates that wouldn't work for a week or two, and then suddenly things worked themselves out.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Sure, it's possible. But wouldn't count on it, either.

Yeah, win7 had an update that broke Windows update. It was fixed in a later update, but it could take hours to search for updates.

FYI, I've now reverted to a restore point roughly two weeks ago, and so far everything seems to be okay. At the very least it's no longer trying to update every time I shut down Windows.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    Good stuff. It actually never ceases to amaze me how many things system restore can actually fix. It's something not enough people do/try for various reasons, but I've had it fix so many little things over the years.

Probably the only really good thing to come out of Windows ME

• amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    I only tried system restore twice. The first time it just straight up failed to restore. The second time made things worse. I'm glad other people have had good experiences with it.

steam_sig.png
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Are any of you running Redstone build 14328? If so, how did you get it?

My 14316 build machine shows as up to date on check for updates (checked that it was on fast ring and such), and when I try to download through MS Connect I can check the isos I want, but when I hit download I get an error. The error is a webpage (oopsie, tech issue, we're fixing it), so I don't think the MS download transfer manager is even launching.

I don't think fast ring builds are even delivered via iso images.

I'm running the newest build, but I have seen/heard of some people just not getting offered a build on time.

The only two things I will say is that if you recently enrolled in insider program, or moved from slow to fast ring, it can take a day before it will offer you a new build.

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    I think the last one made public was 14295. I get them via work through a program that requires Microsoft partnership. I've just been having problems with the download through that portal and was wondering if anyone knew another place to get them. Can't even find it on the usenet.

• wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

Windows10 upgrade isn't giving me an option to not do it anymore, and choose time only allows for the next few days. I'm at the very end of my semester, about to go into the busiest week of the year, with exams following shortly
    after. I cannot afford any screw ups on my computer. How do I stop this?

wilting on