As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Managing iPhone on Windows - Does iTunes still suck?

BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
My wife's macbook (circa 2007) is finally dying. She still uses an iphone though and will not be switching. She's asked if we can install iTunes on our windows desktop so she can back her phone up to it as well as access her photos easy (physically photo album creation). It is already backed up to iCloud but she wants this extra step.

Last time I had iTunes on my computer it was several years ago. I recall it being a horribly bloated piece of software that took up too much RAM when running and installed several services that didn't really need to be running.

Does iTunes still suck for Windows? Is there an alternative you would suggest?

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    It still sucks (and always will), but any modern desktop should be able to handle it fine.

Bloat and extra services that don't affect anything are not a good enough reason to deny your wife the comfort of having it available, IMO, and it certainly isn't worth fighting over.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    There is no fight. She made a request and I am looking into alternatives before we go ahead with it.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Beyond installing the iCloud tools to pull her pictures (or using another photo service and their software), there aren't really any alternatives that I know of beyond hacky stuff like DoubleTwist.