As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark Souls 3] Dark Souls 2 is a good game that is fun and great.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    The true answer is to destroy the enemy and Become Strong, and no longer need to rely on the help of others

Then, reach out into the world of others and take what is yours by Might

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    I almost never see purps.

Weird.

by frequency of signs that I see:

Gold
    Purple
    Red
    White

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I think it might matter more on location. I saw a ton of purple when I was making my way through undead settlement, all orange in front of the crystal sage, and mostly white when I got to the cathedral.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Jasconius wrote: »
    first attempt to get Dark Souls 1 running with DSFix on steam was a failure. Started out fine and then on my journey to gargoyles, some aspect of the drivers failed and the game quit out

There is a version of DS available that already has the DSFix built in. Go to your settings for the game and look for a flag to download beta versions of the software and it should offer to let you download a version that includes it.

You dont need to apply the seperate DSfix anymore.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular

Its great, but what i would really like to see is some color coding on it...like all the estus shard lines are yellow, all the undead bone shards are red, etc, that way i can make sure i havent missed them up to the point im already playing.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    so right before pax I started a pyro character

what's the best way to get the most damage out of it? I've been raising faith/int, got the fire damage ring from undead settlement, and upgraded the pyro flame and I feel like fire ball's damage hasn't gone up a terrible lot? or is it I just need better spells

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    MirroMirro Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Sometimes, when I use a phantom to accomplish a hard task but dont want to take on the boss yet

And I dont want to make it awkward

I "accidently" kill myself

Like, whoops, missed the ladder...
    Or tripped and fell on my sword...
    No, theres nothing you could have done

Such senseless tragedy

Mirro on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

what's the best way to get the most damage out of it? I've been raising faith/int, got the fire damage ring from undead settlement, and upgraded the pyro flame and I feel like fire ball's damage hasn't gone up a terrible lot? or is it I just need better spells

Partially it's just getting better spells. Great Chaos Fireball may make you cry

How high is your Int/Faith? I raised mine more or less the whole game, though I did detour into Attunement for a while to get it up to 30

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    Speaking of summon etiquette I'm always kinda surprised that people will summon helpers for what is obviously their first attempt at a boss, smelter explosion being the perfect example.

Especially because the game gives you a perfect way to learn bosses risk free by being the summon yourself

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Purple signs seems dumb because as soon as people realize what their deal is, which won't take very long at all, people won't use purple summons except to specifically fight them.

• Options
    Wyborn wrote: »

Partially it's just getting better spells. Great Chaos Fireball may make you cry

How high is your Int/Faith? I raised mine more or less the whole game, though I did detour into Attunement for a while to get it up to 30

18/18, but I know the scaling is real important. I've only otherwise put points into hp and one point into dex for astora straight sword

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Mirro wrote: »
    Sometimes, when I use a phantom to accomplish a hard task but dont want to take on the boss yet

And I dont want to make it awkward

I "accidently" kill myself

Like, whoops, missed the ladder...
    Or tripped and fell on my sword...
    No, theres nothing you could have done

Such senseless tradgedy

This is a good post.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular

Fuck
    I've missed tons of stuff

• Options

18/18, but I know the scaling is real important. I've only otherwise put points into hp and one point into dex for astora straight sword

You're on the right path

Fireball just kind of sucks, it's why the game starts out hard for a Pyromancer and then difficulty takes a flying leap off a cliff when you get better spells

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Don't reroll DD

• Options
    edited April 2016

You're on the right path

Fireball just kind of sucks, it's why the game starts out hard for a Pyromancer and then difficulty takes a flying leap off a cliff when you get better spells

should I be upgrading the pyro flame over weapon upgrades, or is it okay to leave it as secondary? I wasn't sure how much impact it had on spell damage vs stat scaling.

Naphtali on
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    Purple signs seems dumb because as soon as people realize what their deal is, which won't take very long at all, people won't use purple summons except to specifically fight them.

Yeah, there's just this inherent problem with purple signs in that their supposed to be a wild card, but they only get their reward from killing players.

So they're either going to kill the player that summoned them or an invader.

Two changes I'd make to purple summoning are: 1) purples can kill bosses to get their reward and 2) if a player kills a purple summon (or helps a purple summon succeed at killing a phantom or boss), they get an ember.

So purples are incentivized to do things other than PK, and the summoner is incentivized to summon purples over other signs.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    No, I'm going to keep going

I've got my second katana waiting for me, and I'm close to entering an area with a third, I think.

Such a weeb

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

I think the idea is that it's like, "shit I've been invaded and there's only purple summon signs, here's hoping"

But in practice you're very rarely forced into a position where you'd have to trust a purple dude

• Options
    edited April 2016
    What about just spamming every summon sign you can

And the purple is incognito as a white

I got a host like that yesterday

It's friendly phantom got me though, becuase the host didn't die to one backstabbing

How do I do those wicked finishers? Like backstab, or riposte, and then get like a finishing move, an extra hit?

I've seen it on YouTube, it's animated differently

DouglasDanger on
  • Options

You're on the right path

should I be upgrading the pyro flame over weapon upgrades, or is it okay to leave it as secondary? I wasn't sure how much impact it had on spell damage vs stat scaling.

I tended to keep two axes and my pyro flame at even levels for the whole game, and recently got all three to +10, but when I had to choose I went with the flame because when you really have to do damage you're probably going to do it with fire

The scaling with your pyromancy damage may actually not be great, I don't know, but it feels decent?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    do you cap at 25/25 or keep going (I assume it continues to scale well in higher numbers like bloodborne)

• Options
    I'm at 37/37 and the damage keeps climbing at a steady rate it seems like

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5tPJDZv_VE

This video is interesting.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    gtrmp wrote: »
    you can't trust props like barrels or statues because any one of them could be a camouflaged invader

that white phantom's here to help, right? nope, it's an invader using the white ring to disguise themselves

there's nothing in this room but a piece of rubble that's barely waist-high? the invader was using a gesture to lie prone behind it until you turned your back

trying to clear out the mobs and make a safe zone to fight the invader? hope it doesn't take you too long to realize that one of those monsters is the invader, wearing that enemy's armor set and using the dark ring to look like they aren't a phantom

you are the invader, and you're using a group the monsters in the host's world as cover? good job surrounding yourself with mobs so that the host could turn them all hostile to you with a seed of a tree of giants

but those transparent player ghosts that randomly pop in and out of the world - at least those are safe, right? right??

of course they aren't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpurtahtnu0

oh my god

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I think purple guys probably should have been orb based. Just make it so they only invade people that already have another antagonistic phantom running around.

This'd work a lot better if they hadn't somehow managed to fuck up Blades of the Darkmoon though...

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Uriel wrote: »

It's...kinda just the exact same arguments from people saying, "No, it doesn't," ever since the first game game out.

Just with the exceptionally rare concession of "an easy mode wouldn't cause the apocalypse, I guess," at the end.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options

yeah they didn't think the purple covenant mechanics through well enough
    What about just spamming every summon sign you can

And the purple is incognito as a white

I got a host like that yesterday

It's friendly phantom got me though, becuase the host didn't die to one backstabbing

How do I do those wicked finishers? Like backstab, or riposte, and then get like a finishing move, an extra hit?

I've seen it on YouTube, it's animated differently

you're probably thinking of the normal backstab and riposte animations for some of the larger weapons, where it does it in two hits instead of one.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Stilts wrote: »

It's...kinda just the exact same arguments from people saying, "No, it doesn't," ever since the first game game out.

Just with the exceptionally rare concession of "an easy mode wouldn't cause the apocalypse, I guess," at the end.

I thought it was a little more thoughtful than that. Explaining the reasons why it doesn't have one yet, and such.

It was linked to from the errant signal guy on twitter.

Apparently he is doing a video on the same subject soon.

I hope his is good.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Purple phantoms look white with a certain ring, but I believe their summon signs are still purple.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular

Disapointed he didn't mention God Hand during the "difficulty scales in game" segment.

The way that game handled its difficulty system was genius.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    I think the discussion of dark souls difficulty is pretty well mined out at this point.

• Options
    I liked TWEWY's difficulty system like a whole lot. By intentionally making things tougher for you, either by bumping up the difficulty (which you could do on the fly) or by temporarily lowering your level, you'd get better item drops and get better drop rates respectively.

• Options
    MirroMirro Registered User regular
    Ok what direction do I need to go in for the red eye orb? I forgot what leonhart said

• Options
    Wait there's a ring that makes you look like you're not a phantom?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Mirro wrote: »
    Ok what direction do I need to go in for the red eye orb? I forgot what leonhart said
    in the high wall, on the bottom floor of the tower the second bonfire's on top of
    Wait there's a ring that makes you look like you're not a phantom?
    and one that makes you appear as a white phantom, they're both sold by Yuria.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    His main arguments are
    1) The difficulty provides you with a sense of accomplishment once you finally overcome the odds
    2) The feeling of dread at the constant possibility of death is important for setting the mood
    3) The difficulty forces you to learn the combat systems instead of button-mashing

Again, these are the exact same arguments that the Souls community has trotted out before (except #3 is usually just shortened to "git gud").

When he gets to the section of how other games with similar intents have included difficulty options, he not only fails to ask why they included them when Dark Souls didn't, but he also doesn't bother asking what benefits those difficulty options bring?

Instead, he spends all his time talking about the negative aspects of difficulty options.

EDIT: Like, we've had better discussions in this thread.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    DS1 Update: These ghosts are bullshit. Is there aother way to hit them without using transient curse? I'm almost out and keep dying because, again, these ghosts are bullshit.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    ph blake wrote: »
    DS1 Update: These ghosts are bullshit. Is there aother way to hit them without using transient curse? I'm almost out and keep dying because, again, these ghosts are bullshit.

You can also just be properly cursed, I think? That was a thing in DS1 right? Go get petrified by a basilisk in the depths and see if you can hit them after that. Being cursed lowers your max HP a lot but them's the breaks. There's a few specific weapons that are considered innately cursed that can hit them without you being in curse status or using a transient curse, but one is a boss soul weapon with dumb stat requirements and the others are dropped by the ghosts themselves and kind of suck.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    The big problem is that different player skill levels means that the dark souls experience is not the same for everyone

For some people an area is just hard enough to be harrowing while still being ultimately possible, while for others the area is such a brick wall that they throw the disc in the river, and for others still the area is no sweat at all and people are exaggerating the difficulty in dark souls

Selectable difficulties don't really address that though, because like he points out in the video, players lack the information necessary to choose the difficulty setting that would properly tune the game to their skill level

The in-game ways to make things easier are a pretty handy way to make it work, but the co op in particular can feel a bit sloppy because it can often feel like you're not even doing anything if your summon is much better than you are. No one likes being told "ugh you suck just gimme the controller."

IMO the best solution would be adaptive difficulty, tweak the numbers on the enemies so that they get easier every time you die and get harder the longer you stay alive, within certain bounds of course. That way, the stated goal of "making the player feel like they've overcome insurmountable odds" is accomplished for everyone, because the bar is always being set to be just barely inside your skill range. The system could be cheesed by just throwing yourself off a cliff over and over, but you could counter that by giving incentives for keeping the difficulty high, like greater soul payouts or higher item discovery

Speed Racer on
This discussion has been closed.