As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Animation [Chat]

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Hidden variables are appealing because it would match the pattern of previous discovery in physics, and people like the idea that reality continues to function in a deterministic, logical fashion but the quantum level is simply a threshold for measurement behind which we have not managed to go.

I don't know enough about quantum mechanics to even make up some bullshit theory, but I think both positions are understandable in the abstract.

They were one of the earliest interpretations ruled out, is the thing

There are still some candidate hidden variable theories floating around, but they're all as weird, if not weirder than qm itself

I believe this, but I don't know how "we just haven't found the variables yet" can be ruled out, as that seems like proving a negative

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Couscous wrote: »
    Who likes Burger King's fries?

When they first changed to the new ones, I did. Now I think they're a touch too thick and a bit underdone.
    P10 wrote: »
    i had five guys somewhat recently and i was dispapointed in the burg

It's not amazing. The best thing about them being popular is the existence of local clones that do it better. And getting people to eat good fries again.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    desc wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    The thing about all the Arby's memes is that Arby's beef & cheddar melt with curly fries is actually pretty tasty as junk food goes

like, the mere fact that Burger King exists is, to me, a much greater existential horror

I find the chicken sandwich at Arby's to be significantly better than BK or McDonalds. Still very much fast food of course but still.

ITT chat embraces nihilism

Is there word for someone who willa argue vehemently for like, moral behavior and happiness while also holding supremely nihilistic beliefs, ultimately?

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

I go there when I want something that tastes like a home burger. Also to be full. Cause they give you a metric fuck ton of food.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    The thing about all the Arby's memes is that Arby's beef & cheddar melt with curly fries is actually pretty tasty as junk food goes

like, the mere fact that Burger King exists is, to me, a much greater existential horror
    m1E9jmT.jpg
    LQwvP9p.png
    UxRZl3n.png
    abyss-quotes-6.jpg

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

I find the chicken sandwich at Arby's to be significantly better than BK or McDonalds. Still very much fast food of course but still.

Is there word for someone who willa argue vehemently for like, moral behavior and happiness while also holding supremely nihilistic beliefs, ultimately?

"Evil Multifarious"

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

something happened to five guys in the last five or six years and they are just not very good anymore

like i don't think they even use salt

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    hello beardos

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

something happened to five guys in the last five or six years and they are just not very good anymore

5 guys sold out

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    So the company interviewing me calls me up to get some info they need to book the flights. And they tell me that they are now planning on hiring two people for the position. This is a thing as an interviewee that I like to hear.

• Options

They are still one of those fast food places that make a great Lettuce Wrap burger, which is why I still go there (that, and the magical new soda machines with the touchscreen). Carl's Jr/Hardee's also make a great one. In-and-Out is a bit so-so on the Lettuce Wrap front.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular

it's probably for the best
    *orders 6 pizzas from dominos and eats self to death*

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

"Evil Multifarious"

Ok everyone please call me Evil Multifarious from now on.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    so there's this guy trying to get us to carry his line of products and he just fuckin drips of snake oil

but my boss was like sure we'll place a few thousand dollar order with you even though everyone here who knows the product or the guy says it's shit

when a salesman tells you the "accounting side of things" are what he really doesn't like to get into

why the fuck, man

• Options

"Evil Multifarious"

But what do we call Evil Multifarious? Shivahn?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

I don't know. I need a word for a nihilist who just ends up passionately defaulting to a vague and wishy washy utilitarianism.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

"Evil Multifarious"

he don't care just don't call him late for dinner

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

It's called

http://www.job-applications.com/arbys-crew-member/

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    @ChelleYeah
    @Hakkekage
    @Belasco32

What can I get Raz for anniversary that isn't makeup/tori burch sandals/jewelry/yelly board game?

Deebaser on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    So the company interviewing me calls me up to get some info they need to book the flights. And they tell me that they are now planning on hiring two people for the position. This is a thing as an interviewee that I like to hear.

CRUSH THIS SHIT

Just go to the interview, seize the person's hand in an iron grip, make unflinching eye contact, say nothing, and never let go

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Hidden variables are appealing because it would match the pattern of previous discovery in physics, and people like the idea that reality continues to function in a deterministic, logical fashion but the quantum level is simply a threshold for measurement behind which we have not managed to go.

I don't know enough about quantum mechanics to even make up some bullshit theory, but I think both positions are understandable in the abstract.

There are still some candidate hidden variable theories floating around, but they're all as weird, if not weirder than qm itself

I believe this, but I don't know how "we just haven't found the variables yet" can be ruled out, as that seems like proving a negative

you need to have something that points to there being hidden variables

and you have to figure out a way for the variables to work with everything else.

To be taken seriously a theory needs to have a lot more than "hidden variables that we can't see" because it assumes a lot of complicated stuff and changes nothing

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    hello beardos

My husband was impressed by the number and quality of beards worn to the fancy dinner.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
  • Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »

you need to have something that points to there being hidden variables

and you have to figure out a way for the variables to work with everything else.

To be taken seriously a theory needs to have a lot more than "hidden variables that we can't see" because it assumes a lot of complicated stuff and changes nothing

what if a wizard did it

• Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

"Evil Multifarious"

He is also Evil Multifarious

We are as Q

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    so there's this guy trying to get us to carry his line of products and he just fuckin drips of snake oil

but my boss was like sure we'll place a few thousand dollar order with you even though everyone here who knows the product or the guy says it's shit

when a salesman tells you the "accounting side of things" are what he really doesn't like to get into

why the fuck, man

It usually means the sales person is on a tight leash with pricing from the sales manager. It may be that guy is an idiot or the sales department is run badly. Usually a salesperson should know what margin is there, and what discounts they can offer. But some sales people get desperate and go right to max discount which is bad in the long term, or the sales manager micromanages all quotes.

• Options

CRUSH THIS SHIT

Just go to the interview, seize the person's hand in an iron grip, make unflinching eye contact, say nothing, and never let go

crush until bones break and firefighters come up the stairs with the jaws of life

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

why the fuck, man

It usually means the sales person is on a tight leash with pricing from the sales manager. It may be that guy is an idiot or the sales department is run badly. Usually a salesperson should know what margin is there, and what discounts they can offer. But some sales people get desperate and go right to max discount which is bad in the long term, or the sales manager micromanages all quotes.

this guy is apparently notorious for just being a shyster but my boss apparently wasn't interested in learning that

• Options

I don't know. I need a word for a nihilist who just ends up passionately defaulting to a vague and wishy washy utilitarianism.

Right

The world should be maximally happy

This would be Best

There is no objections reason for this, nothing has ultimate meaning

But there is conventional meaning in living

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    hello beardos

yo dag

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    credeiki wrote: »
    Other notes:

--on gender-neutral restrooms--it was next to the men's room so it was only used by women as far as I could tell. I liked it because I am someone who gets look in the women's restroom/actual "uh, this is the women's restroom..." comments, so knowing that that was impossible was kind of interesting.
    but I didn't go to any of the diversity/equality/trans issues panels offered because I hate bad panels and there's no way to verify how good the speakers were. Plus I don't want to go to a panel that makes me angst.
    although also on gender themes, just introducing myself by my last name seems to be received fine ALTHOUGH Delmain made some sort of joking comment on "what the fuck sort of name is that" which >:[ I am self-conscious about this lastname introduction initiative so don't bring up how weird it is >:[ >:[ >:[

--on Catan:
    Mayfair sold Catan! They are not going to be running competitive Catan tournaments any more. It is unclear whether the new owners of Catan will be running competitive Catan tournaments after this year's one at Gen con. That's why they weren't at PAX.
    -Sad, though; it's so much a thing I do that the tournament organizer of years past recognized me through my cosplay and took the time to explain the whole situation to me.

What, no the only last name related comment I made to you was asking you if went by your married name.

I feel it's disingenuous to say I should have known it was your last name when all you said was "don't use my name, call me ____ instead". Half the people in the group swap between a forum name and real name.

Going by last names is fine, I did it for years.

@credeiki

Delmain on
  • Options

Right

The world should be maximally happy

This would be Best

There is no objections reason for this, nothing has ultimate meaning

But there is conventional meaning in living

this mcferrinist philosophy

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

There are two possibilities:
    1) The theory with hidden variables predicts something different from the theory without. Even if that something isn't measurable with our technology at this time.
    2) The theory with the hidden variables makes no predictions different from the theory without. There are two sub-cases here:
    a) Keep working on the hidden variable theory until it does make a distinct prediction.
    b) Otherwise ignore it for the wank fodder it is.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    I am about to get a cortisone epidural and a branch block anaesthetic injection in my spine

...yay

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

I have noticed that it's hit or miss depending on the day.

That is the downside to trusting minimum wage high school kids to cook food without timers to ensure some sort of standard of quality.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    that game of thrones reveal

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    banner painting is a dying art, apparently. It is cool stuff though.

7WhNKd-WUYiiIjDtwuSQrQ3rcR1f9RY8-yXGpwUDjtaw

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Important Warning: skippy has discovered that Uber's ride split feature does not require geographic proximity. stay safe and godbless

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    man I checked my iPad on accident and now I have no reading for the plane and will have to buy a bestseller ¥_¥

This discussion has been closed.