As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Animation [Chat]

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Hidden variables are appealing because it would match the pattern of previous discovery in physics, and people like the idea that reality continues to function in a deterministic, logical fashion but the quantum level is simply a threshold for measurement behind which we have not managed to go.

I don't know enough about quantum mechanics to even make up some bullshit theory, but I think both positions are understandable in the abstract.

They were one of the earliest interpretations ruled out, is the thing

There are still some candidate hidden variable theories floating around, but they're all as weird, if not weirder than qm itself

I believe this, but I don't know how "we just haven't found the variables yet" can be ruled out, as that seems like proving a negative

Assuming the presence of hidden variables constrains the behaviour of quantum systems in ways that it is possible to demonstrate don't occur, is the short version.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Detroit-style pizza is delicious.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »

detroit style is a funny thing because i don't think anyone outside of detroit is aware of it unless little caesar's is making an ad campaign for their deep dish at the time

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Do your duty, demand your right. Old union slogan.

ferdigmalt_nordnaesfane_stor-e1426021660112.jpg

ftOqU21.png
  • credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »
    Other notes:

--on gender-neutral restrooms--it was next to the men's room so it was only used by women as far as I could tell. I liked it because I am someone who gets look in the women's restroom/actual "uh, this is the women's restroom..." comments, so knowing that that was impossible was kind of interesting.
    but I didn't go to any of the diversity/equality/trans issues panels offered because I hate bad panels and there's no way to verify how good the speakers were. Plus I don't want to go to a panel that makes me angst.
    although also on gender themes, just introducing myself by my last name seems to be received fine ALTHOUGH Delmain made some sort of joking comment on "what the fuck sort of name is that" which >:[ I am self-conscious about this lastname introduction initiative so don't bring up how weird it is >:[ >:[ >:[

--on Catan:
    Mayfair sold Catan! They are not going to be running competitive Catan tournaments any more. It is unclear whether the new owners of Catan will be running competitive Catan tournaments after this year's one at Gen con. That's why they weren't at PAX.
    -Sad, though; it's so much a thing I do that the tournament organizer of years past recognized me through my cosplay and took the time to explain the whole situation to me.

What, no the only last name related comment I made to you was asking you if went by your married name.

I asked who or what <name> was because I had never met you and didn't know your name. I feel it's disingenuous to assume, at a nerd convention, that I should have known it was someone's name as opposed to a board game or character name or something.

Going by last names is fine, I did it for years.

@credeiki

hm yeah it was loud so my brain just processed whatever you said into 'what kind of a name is that' which sent me into a small and hopefully concealed bit of emotional unrest. Sorry for misrepresenting the interaction in that case!

Steam, LoL: credeiki
    VHQZI5Vh.jpg

everything hand-painted of course. Cool stuff.

ftOqU21.png
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    man I checked my iPad on accident and now I have no reading for the plane and will have to buy a bestseller ¥_¥
    get a bodice ripper

qMzGU41.jpg

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Who likes Burger King's fries?

they're so awful

i don't get why anyone would eat at BK. it doesn't hurt my stomach or anything but it does not taste good.

mcdonalds tastes good but hurts me something fierce

• FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

One of the toppings is 9mm hollow point?

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    What are you even doing lion

You don't know how to use an axe

you're a lion

do your lion thing, that's good enough man

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

detroit style is a funny thing because i don't think anyone outside of detroit is aware of it unless little caesar's is making an ad campaign for their deep dish at the time

Jet's seems to be expanding in my area at a fairly rapid pace. I dig it, even if their "regular" crust is kinda butts.

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    the savage

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Important Warning: skippy has discovered that Uber's ride split feature does not require geographic proximity. stay safe and godbless

it takes a village dk

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    "Do your Duty
    Demand your Right"

fukkin badass

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Important Warning: skippy has discovered that Uber's ride split feature does not require geographic proximity. stay safe and godbless

it takes a village dk

like literally you can ride share with the whole village

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

I had never even heard of it!

Podly wrote: »
    the savage

racy and racist!

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    What the hell is up with those floating acid trip pizza slices? I am uncomfortable with them!

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    The thing about all the Arby's memes is that Arby's beef & cheddar melt with curly fries is actually pretty tasty as junk food goes

like, the mere fact that Burger King exists is, to me, a much greater existential horror

I find the chicken sandwich at Arby's to be significantly better than BK or McDonalds. Still very much fast food of course but still.

ITT chat embraces nihilism

Is there word for someone who willa argue vehemently for like, moral behavior and happiness while also holding supremely nihilistic beliefs, ultimately?

Well, a nihilist, considering how easy it is for a nihilist to advocate choices that could be construed as, or happen to overlap with, classic morality and/or eudaimonic principles, even if for profoundly different reasons

But if you view nihilistic principles as noble or logical but unconscionable or irrelevant on a practical or self-interested level, and flee into the comforting arms of morality as espoused by the Medicis, Scalia might call you a faint-hearted originalist, unable to face what your own logic demands

But in another time they were called Akachi, the Betrayer

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin

I had never even heard of it!

it is actually a distinctive way of making pizza and is yummy

but yeah it's not very well known in my experience

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    so there's this guy trying to get us to carry his line of products and he just fuckin drips of snake oil

but my boss was like sure we'll place a few thousand dollar order with you even though everyone here who knows the product or the guy says it's shit

when a salesman tells you the "accounting side of things" are what he really doesn't like to get into

why the fuck, man

It usually means the sales person is on a tight leash with pricing from the sales manager. It may be that guy is an idiot or the sales department is run badly. Usually a salesperson should know what margin is there, and what discounts they can offer. But some sales people get desperate and go right to max discount which is bad in the long term, or the sales manager micromanages all quotes.

this guy is apparently notorious for just being a shyster but my boss apparently wasn't interested in learning that

It happens. Generally you can break sales down into two general type. Long term relationship based stuff and short term relationship stuff. The long term relationship guy is gonna take you to dinner and is planning on being the sales person for your account for a few years. Generally they can't be sleazy much. If they lie to you, the odds of getting caught go up and so on. That doesn't mean it won't happen but the scale of the lies definitely changes. From it will do XYZ and won't to, yes the parts shipped yesterday. Part of this is that they often have some degree of supporting staff. And if you do catch them, you can use it to push for a discount.

The Short term guys don't have to manage it. So they tend to lie like dogs. Also they tend toward high pressure tactics. Because if they can get you to buy, it doesn't matter to them that you left with a bad taste in your mouth. See: Car Salesmen. Now sometimes people transition from one side to the other. And sometimes the short term guys talk themselves into a job they can't hack it at. If they are really good at talking they will float around the industry getting shit canned from job after job. See: The guy who I mentioned one day will be the token white dude at one of the Chinese booths.

And with resellers you can get guys who want to be long term relationship guys but really aren't in an organization structured for it and they tend to have the bad habits of both.

Asshole salesman story. The company I used to work for made software. And it bought cameras to relabel and sell. The agreement with the camera manufacturer was that we would tell them what states what cameras were sold in so their guys could get commission on it. But our primary point of contact was changing all of it so that it was all looking like it was sold in his territory. We did $12 million in sales with them when this was found out. Maybe $4 million was in his territory with the other $8 million split three ways. That's the shit that doesn't just get you fired but starts vendettas. His name is shit in the industry. I have no idea why he hasn't changed industries.

Kana wrote: »
    What are you even doing lion

You don't know how to use an axe

you're a lion

do your lion thing, that's good enough man

It's the banner of Nordnæs Bataillon, one of the buekorps - bow corps, a local tradition here in Bergen where young people march around playing drums loudly at very very early

17.mai_.2011-044-960x300.jpg

as for the motive, well it's norways coat of arms

574px-Coat_of_arms_of_Norway.svg.png

ftOqU21.png
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    It's like what the cartoon pizza addict sees floating around his head when he wakes up from a six day pizza bender.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    What the hell is up with those floating acid trip pizza slices? I am uncomfortable with them!

Dude just relax and let the pepperoni kick in

You're going to freak yourself out like this

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    So the company interviewing me calls me up to get some info they need to book the flights. And they tell me that they are now planning on hiring two people for the position. This is a thing as an interviewee that I like to hear.

CRUSH THIS SHIT

Just go to the interview, seize the person's hand in an iron grip, make unflinching eye contact, say nothing, and never let go

@Jacobkosh

So take hostages? A bold choice, for sure.

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    hello beardos

i tried shaving my cheeks to create a line and fucked it up

so both are super low

not sure if i like it or not

fucking beards

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    The thing about all the Arby's memes is that Arby's beef & cheddar melt with curly fries is actually pretty tasty as junk food goes

like, the mere fact that Burger King exists is, to me, a much greater existential horror

I find the chicken sandwich at Arby's to be significantly better than BK or McDonalds. Still very much fast food of course but still.

ITT chat embraces nihilism

Is there word for someone who willa argue vehemently for like, moral behavior and happiness while also holding supremely nihilistic beliefs, ultimately?

Well, a nihilist, considering how easy it is for a nihilist to advocate choices that could be construed as, or happen to overlap with, classic morality and/or eudaimonic principles, even if for profoundly different reasons

But if you view nihilistic principles as noble or logical but unconscionable or irrelevant on a practical or self-interested level, and flee into the comforting arms of morality as espoused by the Medicis, Scalia might call you a faint-hearted originalist, unable to face what your own logic demands

But in another time they were called Akachi, the Betrayer
    Oh, that? We called them Goth LARPers.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    The axe symbolizes St. Olav. It's why the norwegian church's coat of arms also has axes. Apart from looking badass.

Den_norske_kirkes_v%C3%A5pen.svg

ftOqU21.png
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

No actual pizza pictures.

0/10

No actual pizza pictures.

0/10

it's a review of cyber pizzas

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    do you guys ever look at a picture of lava and just want to touch it

i am afraid to go visit a volcano because i think the urge to touch the lava would be too stronk

919UOwT.png
    Aioua wrote: »
    "Do your Duty
    Demand your Right"

fukkin badass

sums up a union view of work in general

Do your work, demand what you are owed for said work

ftOqU21.png
    Gooey wrote: »

i am afraid to go visit a volcano because i think the urge to touch the lava would be too stronk

I know this feeling.

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Great gods of Olympus, my land lord is lazy and dumb as a blunt rust tack.

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular

It's good stuff

It would be great if someone built a safe and elaborate sling/crane system that would lower me above the lava at the perfect "sauna-temperature" height.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    So I was in the security line behind scarra. He forgot to take off his shoes until they called him for the metal detector then he scrambled in a panic.

I said scarra, scarra, scarra while shaking my head disappointedly and he looked ashamed

@skippydumptruck @Casual Eddy @LoserForHireX @spool32 @Dread Pirate Arbuthnot

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    My beard slowly returns

My parents and my most aesthetically conservative friends didn't like it, which means it was probably a good choice

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    lava is

very hot

that's why they call it 'hot lava'

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    So the company interviewing me calls me up to get some info they need to book the flights. And they tell me that they are now planning on hiring two people for the position. This is a thing as an interviewee that I like to hear.

CRUSH THIS SHIT

Just go to the interview, seize the person's hand in an iron grip, make unflinching eye contact, say nothing, and never let go

Jacobkosh

So take hostages? A bold choice, for sure.
    In this job market? You gotta do what you gotta do.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
This discussion has been closed.