As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hes evolving into a...[Star Fox]?

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Been lurking getting impressions but had to share important information:
    Quiotu wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    I feel like 20 hours of Arwing shooting would get really boring after a while. I like variety.

Some of us really liked Ace Combat until Assault Horizon killed it for a while, because they thought just shooting with fighter jets wasn't enough.

I'd kill for an arcade flight shooter that didn't suck. The days of Ace Combat and Wing Commander are in no rush to come back it seems.

Ace Combat 7 is apparently a sequel to 5 so the dream is very much alive.

Oh great, more angels and demon lords and anime bullshit.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    Adult pilot & 7 yr old gunner -> good times!

7 yr old pilot & adult gunner -> lots of yelling and nausea-inducing camera work.

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Final boss,
    How can you escape his grapple beam when you destroy one of his hands?

As far as I know?
    All you can do is shoot the hand that's grappling you as fast as you can. Do enough damage and he'll release you

Yeah I think that's the only way to do it, if you don't have laser upgrades it's almost impossible to break free from that attack. But I did notice that holding down on the right stick while grappled buys some time.

Also some control tips:
    Tapping left to right or right to left on the right stick is easier to do barrel rolls compared to double tapping left or right. So you can tap the right stick back and forth to constantly barrel roll while aiming.
    Remember you can swap views with the minus button, it can be nice to have the cockpit view on your TV for splatoon-like aiming when you are forced in target lock views. Especially for certain bosses. I think it may be easier to just use cockpit view exclusively when in walker mode, treating it like a first person splatoon.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Maybe I'm in the minority but I just want a modern take on Star Fox without any gimmicks, on foot bs, non-arwing vehicles, or whacky control schemes. I always loved Star Fox 64 because it's basically a three dimensional take on games like R-Type. Zipping head on into waves of enemies and obstacles and topped off with epic boss fights. Just give me like... 20 hours of that, in HD, polished, beautiful, fast, with modern sensibilities. Oh and lots of cheesy one-liners.

I don't mind Landmaster on rails. It allows for different types of combat options ( hover mode is kind of redundant ) since you're suddenly limited in your vertical movements

Blue Marine is meh, I see what they were attempting but it's so slow.

Gyro copter is a neat idea that allows for mission variety without getting rid of the vehicle aspect.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Maybe I'm in the minority but I just want a modern take on Star Fox without any gimmicks, on foot bs, non-arwing vehicles, or whacky control schemes. I always loved Star Fox 64 because it's basically a three dimensional take on games like R-Type. Zipping head on into waves of enemies and obstacles and topped off with epic boss fights. Just give me like... 20 hours of that, in HD, polished, beautiful, fast, with modern sensibilities. Oh and lots of cheesy one-liners.

I don't mind Landmaster on rails. It allows for different types of combat options ( hover mode is kind of redundant ) since you're suddenly limited in your vertical movements

Blue Marine is meh, I see what they were attempting but it's so slow.

Gyro copter is a neat idea that allows for mission variety without getting rid of the vehicle aspect.

I do appreciate what they were going for with the gyrocopter, but I wish it didn't have so much inertia.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    So i played several stages of the "worst outcome" progression:

I really like the gyrocopter, that was probably my favorite mission so far. The arwing takes a lot of getting used to, I still can't deal with the camera angle where target lock is forced. It happens rarely, but it makes me struggle whenever it comes up. Also, chicken mode is great way for me to take tons of damage.

I went back to the first stage of Corneria to find the alternate path:
    What's with the triple threat of bad camera angle, timed boss, and when you die you can't continue on the other side of that portal?

Those decisions are all pretty awful. I could deal if it was just two out of those three things but man it made me put down the controller.
    Overall I think the game is good. I'm on the fence about the motion controls. I normally would rather not have them in a game that requires any kind of precision, but it does open up co-op mode and some interesting boss mechanics.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Jim Sterling put up his Jimquisition, and needless to say he wasn't a fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w2RMBrmTsk

His main point is against Nintendo's constant habit of "new for the sake of new" mechanics having to dot every game they release, to the point of active detriment - in this case StarFox Zero's control scheme.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Man, it really looks like adjusting to the controls (or not) will be the most decisive reason of loving or hating this game. Feels like Skyward Swords all over again.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Man, it really looks like adjusting to the controls (or not) will be the most decisive reason of loving or hating this game. Feels like Skyward Swords all over again.

Well, starfox 64 just felt so natural. It was weird seeing all the same things that I used to, but no longer being able to move my ship as well. The dissonance actually makes me harder on the controls than if it were a whole new IP, or even just a whole new aesthetic.

Steam
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I think I'm one of those who've clicked on the control scheme. Like, I think this game has my favorite Star Wolf fights.

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I think I'm one of those who've clicked on the control scheme. Like, I think this game has my favorite Star Wolf fights.

Man, my buddy and I were playing coop and doing one of these fights and it was some good dog fighting!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills

Yeah, the main reason I gave this game a chance was because I ended up enjoying the controls of Skyward Sword. Other aspects of that game less so...

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
      edited April 2016
      I just want a fun, flashy on-rails 3D shoot-em-up with occasional "all-range mode" dogfights (though that term never really made sense to me for free-flight). Landmaster would be cool as a 3D twin-stick-shooter twist on the main game, but they should skip the submarine unless they can come up with something better than the painfully slow moving frantic button masher mode it was in Starfox 64. I don't want them shoe-horning in a poor-man's attempt at EA's old ______-Strike series arcade-y helicopter games, and certainly do not want a game with so many fundamentally different modes of play that none of them get enough development resources to really shine, nor enough content to feel worth the asking price. This is the biggest mistake Sega kept making with 3D Sonic games; spreading their development too thin.

The co-op for this sounds cool, I'll admit, and I haven't tried the game yet to form an opinion on the controls, but I'd rather they just went with something more conventional for the single-player game. Overall, it sounds like they were trying to remake Vortex (anyone else remember this?) and just gave it a Starfox branding to boost sales.

H3Knuckles on
      If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
      camo_sig2-400.png
      When has Star a Fox ever been only rail shooting and dogfights, though? Was it the first game? Because I know we had Landmaster's and submarines and stealth missions and the like as far back as 64. And 2 was gonna have the walker.

When has Star a Fox ever been only rail shooting and dogfights, though? Was it the first game? Because I know we had Landmaster's and submarines and stealth missions and the like as far back as 64. And 2 was gonna have the walker.

I think he just wants more content to help flesh out the other shit, and feels that without that, it's a distraction from the Arwing. Which is an interesting, and IMO valid criticism.

Fair point.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular

Sort of what Zython said; I don't mind one or two other things, especially when they're variations on the Arwing gameplay like Landmaster was, but on-foot segments or using a gyrocopter winch to haul stuff to a place or whatever is not what I want from Starfox and past experience has taught me that even at the AAA level of production trying to implement too many different game types tends to just drag a project down.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
      camo_sig2-400.png
    • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular

I'd say the landmaster and blue marine sections in 64 were still very much rail shooters. Gameplay-wise, they weren't that much of a departure from the arwing sections. The different vehicles and modes in Zero (and the on-foot sections of Assault, to an extent), don't feel as cohesive an experience. The gyrocopter section is particularly slow and plodding and far unlike what I want from the "classic" StarFox experience.

I mean, I'll check it out sooner or later, and hopefully I'll enjoy it in spite of my misgivings, but I really wish they'd have the confidence in the core product to produce a really focused high-polish game experience instead of trying to bury us in additional features and new control schemes as if they're sales-multipliers.

camo_sig2-400.png
      Well, something I realized when doing the training is that the chickenwalker works nearly identically to the Landmaster, and the Hovermaster to the Arwing. So really, the only "new" thing is the gyrowing (and the landmaster/chickenwalker in all-range mode, but that's more a natural extension of the 64 model).

All-range Landmaster was first used in Assault.

• Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
      Damn, finale so full of feels

Happy: Final Wolf fight. Took me a few tries but it was fun all the way, nothing quite as satisfying as shooting those guys down.

Angry: Andross.
      First the forced lock-on perspective, my least favorite thing about this game so far. Second he's got some cheapo attacks when he gets down to one hand, though that's similar to how he was in 64. You really don't need cockpit view after you get used to how responsive the Arwing is, which is the stupid thing. I can see those holes just fine.

I Cried:
      A tribute to our wingman who fell in battle.

• TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
      edited April 2016

Seeing the discourse play out this way, and reading comments like this, makes me feel a lot more confident that I will enjoy this game. I already probably would, because I am not terribly critical and love spaceships, but I really enjoyed Skyward Sword and was 100% willing to give myself over to the controls, and if that's the big hurdle for enjoying this game, I'm on board.

Still going to weed out my back catalog a bit before picking it up. I'm still progressing- slowly- through Xenoblade X.

TDawg on
      NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
      Let's Plays of Japanese Games
    • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
      I loved Skyward Sword, but at no point did I feel like the controls were actively working against me.

I have to smile every time i hear the classic 64 "Good Luck."

• TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
      Dirty wrote: »
      I loved Skyward Sword, but at no point did I feel like the controls were actively working against me.

Same here, but I went into the game excited to play because the game controlled that way. Many people were not excited to control the game that way, and anecdotally, it doesn't seem like many of those people were won over.

My main point was, I had some trepidation about Star Fox Zero because people seemed to be so up in arms over the controls, but to hear the point of comparison with Skyward Sword makes it seem like less of an issue to me. Perhaps I still won't like the controls, but I feel like I can contextualize it a bit better now.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
      Let's Plays of Japanese Games
    • KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
      Finished it.

I do think the level design could be better. In the SNES and 64 versions the different paths to Venom generally provided a lot of original content. Here it's a bit too keen to reuse levels and bosses with variations than entirely new content.

I'd like to play through the alternate path, but the first alt boss wasn't particularly fun and the time limit in Zoness also sucked.

I like levels like Corneria where there are a lot of geometry to fly through and a reasonable amount of detail. There's only a handful of those levels, and one of the better ones is handed over to the LandMaster.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uieM18rZdHY

This fan animation is incredibly good.

• Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
      Anyone who preordered Starfox Zero from Amazon and didn't get the First Print Edition:

I'm in Ireland, so this is to do with Amazon.co.uk and your mileage may vary.

I got the standard edition in the post on Monday, having preordered in late January. Obviously I was expecting the First Print Edition, and scumbag resellers are selling that edition for literally double the price. Scumbags.

However, I complained to Amazon. I was clear and:

Mentioned the resellers doubling the price.
      Told them I opened the game before I knew, so now can't return it.
      Was respectful, while using words like disappointed and frustrated, no "OMG, you fuxxored me!"

Amazon are now sending me the First Print Edition free of charge, and do not want the original back, so I can sell that on or trade or whatever. Result! If you found yourself in the same position as me, complain respectfully and maybe it'll work out for you too!

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
      Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
    • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
      Amazon has some of the best customer service in the industry. Unless you super super abuse customer service they go way out of the way to accommodate you.

If they didn't have a first print edition to send you, they still would very likely have taken it back, or given you a partial refund and still let you keep the game.

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
      Kriegaffe wrote: »
      Adult pilot & 7 yr old gunner -> good times!

7 yr old pilot & adult gunner -> lots of yelling and nausea-inducing camera work.

Grandpa got this for my 8 year old son. Yesterday was a day off from work, so we sat down to try this out co-op. I was the pilot, he was the gunner. He was at the colony level. First time out, Pigma smokes us because I don't know the controls. I figured out how to loop, but not sharp turn. Second time out, I figure out sharp turns, and we baconise the bastard! Then we go into the colony.

I want a chicken walker that turns into a flying fighter. In real life. GOD that was fun.

Then we get the Gyrocopter thingy. Before, we had been having fun, but frantic and not well coordinated fun. This was the point where things clicked for us and we became a team. This was easily the most fun I have ever had playing a video game with my son. We were laughing and joking and just flying around to play with this new toy. I sincerely look forward to this weekend where I can play this again with my boy. I've had fun playing with him since he was a baby, but this was the first time we were playing not as father-son, but more as equals. I think this is the start of the friendship I've always hoped I would have with my son.

Given my experience, I wonder if it would have been worthwhile to intentionally design this game to be co-op only and build it from there.

Gyrocopter is amazing, and so far it's my favorite thing about this version.

Steam
      Oh my god.

So, I was trying Arcade mode in an attempt to unlock a new mode. Arcade mode isn't easy; you go through the game in one run, with a maximum of 1 stocked life (you start with 0, and can collect 3 gold rings to have a safety net of 1 life, but no higher).

Did pretty well. Got all the way to Venom, beat Star Wolf, went through the Corridor of Illusion, the scene started transitioning to the Andross fight...

And then the game crashed. The game crashed on the last level.

And of course my progress wasn't recorded.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
      Does Zero have multiple endings? Multiple final bosses?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
      I don't think it does, which is disappointing. But i might be wrong.

Salvadora is friggin' amazing you guys. The Asteroid Belt is a bit of a letdown, though.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
      Meh, I would have rather have had both parts of Venom in Star Fox 64 than having to choose.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
      Booo. I wanted to fight a floating brain!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      Booo. I wanted to fight a floating brain!

Mother Brain?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
        Nah, only Andross has the brains to rule Lylat.

In all seriousness, I think Zero's control scheme would actually make Braindross fun for me for once.

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
        This game had got me wanting to play SF64 again. It's so rare I feel like going back into Wii Mode.