As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark Souls 3] Dark Souls 2 is a good game that is fun and great.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    world tendency actually made enemies harder the more you died because :rotate:

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Man I forgot about the small soapstone from DS2, that thing was great, you were in and out quick and your humanity got restored too

more evidence of DS2 having the superior online

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    man, they should make demon's souls 2 with even more word tendency. Bored of just black and white? well new purple world tendency replaces soem enemies with different random enemies. Purple too Random? Try new Gold Tendency, where in addition to getting souls when you kill an enemy you also get air miles.

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    to me success feels more hollow if you know the test was made easier for you

ds3 hasn't been datamined yet, are you sure that system doesn't already exist

how would you even know

i'm not talking about shunting you into easy mode, i'm talking about the game putting its thumb on the scale and pressing ever so slightly more firmly on it after every death. if it is at all perceptible it is a bad system

and in one light, it is sort of a penalty for poor play. in which case i would entreat you to

git gud

people are already digging through the files, they've found references to an alternative poise system that works more like Dark Souls 1 and evidence that poise is effectively useless in Dark Souls 3

I know that wasn't the main point of the post but if there was such a system, people would know it by now

• Options
    come to think of it, i never played demon's souls but isn't that sort of what world tendency was?

not at all, especially considering it could be influenced without you even playing

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    come to think of it, i never played demon's souls but isn't that sort of what world tendency was?

not at all, especially considering it could be influenced without you even playing

Yeah, world tendency would open or close certain areas in the game and was mostly just a terribly-conceived system.

While it might have made certain locations harder or easier, that wasn't it's intended purpose.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Deep breath

You can jump in that pit
    And survive the landing
    Check out @douglasdanger's Tweet:

I need three more levels in DEX to use it

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Stilts wrote: »

Yeah, world tendency would open or close certain areas in the game and was mostly just a terribly-conceived system.

While it might have made certain locations harder or easier, that wasn't it's intended purpose.

it also just made enemies have more HP and damage the blacker the level's world tendency was, even before you got to pure black tendency. I think they also might have a higher drop rate? Or maybe that went in the opposite direction, higher drop chances the whiter the world tendency was. It was all bullshit that wasn't explained anywhere so I don't remember all the details very well.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I heard an interesting discussion about Dark Souls difficulty that kind of boils down to the old are-games-art question. That is to say, are games playthings, that should be essentially be customizable to match a person's preferred playstyle or interpretation? Or are they authored works that should be experienced as the creator intended?

And the answer - of course - is both, which is the definition of art.

I have no problem with the difficulty of the Souls series, but my desire to keep it difficult isn't out of some spiteful "earn your fucking stripes" attitude towards the more casual player. It leans more towards the notion that I enjoy how rewarding it is to overcome some big obstacle in that game and want other people to experience that same feeling of accomplishment.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    gtrmp wrote: »
    it's nice when a youtube preview image sums up the entire video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UQP5VdlG5s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29RE0blCV84

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    white tendency weaker enemies more healing items dropped, black tendency is tougher enemies, black phantom enemies, more upgrade items drop.

also there is some kind of extra demon present that will move you three steps closer to white if you kill it.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    i'm fine with an easy mode as long as they give me the ability to start a new game on any ng+ difficulty i want

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Are there more bonfires in this? Because it seems that way to me. It might be why I'm finding it more enjoyable than the previous ones.

• Options
    there are so many bonfires and shortcuts in this

more than DS2

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    Are there more bonfires in this? Because it seems that way to me. It might be why I'm finding it more enjoyable than the previous ones.

I think so, each zone has like 3-4 bonfires compared to the 1-2 in DS1.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    ok yeah the club rules

I only wish the two handed and one haded move sets were swapped, but i can deal with that.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    The one thing I do agree with re: the Polygon review is specifically the bonfires.

Like, there are some really well-designed areas where the bonfire is in an intelligent place that is probably where 95% of players are running low/out of Estus and need a refresher.

And sometimes you'll go from one bonfire to the next with like.. one enemy in between.

And it's just a headscratcher.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    World tendency and healing grass are the two warts on demons souls that prevent it from being a must-play

• Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    World tendency and healing grass are the two warts on demons souls that prevent it from being a must-play

Healing grass wasn't -too- terrible, but Estus is such a better system.

World tendency is why my PS3 is no longer connected to the internet, since Demon's Souls is basically the only game I ever play on it.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm probably not going to do any of the NPC stuff because it just sounds so nebulous that I'd spend all day trying to follow a guide and I gotta take this game back eventually

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I hate the depths. I hate weird slimy blob things. I hate fuckin poisonous rats and that piece of shit jub jub down there. Fuckin sewer levels...

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I'm probably not going to do any of the NPC stuff because it just sounds so nebulous that I'd spend all day trying to follow a guide and I gotta take this game back eventually

you would probably not enjoy the NPC stuff

so if you see someone whose clothes you like, kill them

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Weird thing that I miss from Dark Souls 2 -

If you succeed in a summon, you get back all your health/Estus.

I think the new system where your state in your world has no impact in your health/Estus in the summoned world makes more -sense-, but I still miss being able to do a quick soapstone summon to refill my Estus in a particularly challenging area.

Perhaps that's why they removed it.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

wait are you saying that because of the bullshit and poorly telegraphed requirements or are there other reasons you think I wouldn't like it

• Options

wait are you saying that because of the bullshit and poorly telegraphed requirements or are there other reasons you think I wouldn't like it

I had one specific NPC questline where I did literally everything correctly (or so I thought)

But because I did one very minor thing wrong, I lost out on everything beyond a specific point.

The NPC questlines are a hot load of garbage and it's absurd how easily you can mess them up.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Like, just have an infinite use item that's on a corpse in the tutorial area and the description says something to the effect of "keeps your foes at maximum strength" and using it will toggle adaptive difficulty

anyone who cares will find it and turn it on immediately and no one else has to bother

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    vsove wrote: »

I think the new system where your state in your world has no impact in your health/Estus in the summoned world makes more -sense-, but I still miss being able to do a quick soapstone summon to refill my Estus in a particularly challenging area.

This is totally still the case, though! When I come back from a summon, I think I always have full health, FP, and I think even estus

Heck, I don't even think you need to succeed to get that stuff back!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Olivaw wrote: »
    vsove wrote: »

This is totally still the case, though! When I come back from a summon, I think I always have full health, FP, and I think even estus

Huh. I swear that I always come back with the exact same Estus, health and FP as I had when I left.

It's been a while since I've had to fight my way to the boss fog, though, so maybe I'm misremembering it!

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    You come back with only HP restored, I think, not FP or estus

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Eh, idk. I'm as big a DS tryhard as you get and I literally never once joined the covenant of champions in DS2. There's something about making a thing optional that makes people feel differently about it.

That being said, Dark Souls should have difficulty settings (that you choose).

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    at the very least I don't think you get anything back if you don't beat a boss

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    The big problem is that different player skill levels means that the dark souls experience is not the same for everyone

For some people an area is just hard enough to be harrowing while still being ultimately possible, while for others the area is such a brick wall that they throw the disc in the river, and for others still the area is no sweat at all and people are exaggerating the difficulty in dark souls

Selectable difficulties don't really address that though, because like he points out in the video, players lack the information necessary to choose the difficulty setting that would properly tune the game to their skill level

The in-game ways to make things easier are a pretty handy way to make it work, but the co op in particular can feel a bit sloppy because it can often feel like you're not even doing anything if your summon is much better than you are. No one likes being told "ugh you suck just gimme the controller."

IMO the best solution would be adaptive difficulty, tweak the numbers on the enemies so that they get easier every time you die and get harder the longer you stay alive, within certain bounds of course. That way, the stated goal of "making the player feel like they've overcome insurmountable odds" is accomplished for everyone, because the bar is always being set to be just barely inside your skill range. The system could be cheesed by just throwing yourself off a cliff over and over, but you could counter that by giving incentives for keeping the difficulty high, like greater soul payouts or higher item discovery

I would hate this system, I don't want the game lowering the bar just because I die. That ironically feels like a penalty for dying to me, actually. The idea shouldn't be that only the players who never die get to see the true difficulty, that's antithetical to these games' core philosophy of progressing by trial and error and practice.

And I think it's a bad idea for the opposite reason. I like being able to eventually steamroll areas, and always being just barely able to succeed would just feel exhausting to me.

If DS1 had felt as hard as it did at the start of the game for the entire game, I would have just shelved that sucker.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    webberwebber Registered User regular
    I wish some of the bosses were a bit slower or had less stamina. If I had the option to decrease difficulty just so that those two things would happen, I'd be happy.

This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    All the talk about how poise is bugged in DS3 and how people wish it worked like it did in 1 made me actually look at my Poise stat in DS1 for the first time. I've been running around in the full Crimson set with 0 poise, but these crystal swordsmen in the archives are kind of annoying so let's equip something else and give it a try. Eastern set with the Gargoyle helm lets me get 36 poise, stays under 50% encumberance, and has decent defense values. Holy shit the game plays completely different now. I ended up going back to the crimson set because it felt so wierd, plus I like the fast dodge I get from staying under 25%. I can definitely see why people who are used to that system are upset it's gone though; it's like an entirely different way to play the game. Can't imagine the nonsense it caused for PVP though; that part of it seems like it would be terrible.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    Eh, idk. I'm as big a DS tryhard as you get and I literally never once joined the covenant of champions in DS2. There's something about making a thing optional that makes people feel differently about it.

That being said, Dark Souls should have difficulty settings (that you choose).

company of champions would've been pretty tempting if it didn't completely lock you out of summoning while you were in it

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    One time I put on the covenant of champions without knowing what it did

• Options
    edited April 2016
    http:// i.imgur.com/DF7PtxL.gifv

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular

you added a space in there

fixed it for you

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    God i love mimics

• Options
    i added a space because i can't check filesize right now

liEt3nH.png
This discussion has been closed.