As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Roleplaying Games] New Year, New Dungeons, Same Ol' Bane

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    So out of interest if I were to host a Fragged Empire PbP on here would there be any interest? My group I'm trying to organise in real life are a little... flakey right now but I still really want to explore the setting.

I want to say yes but I don't know the rules and I'm already on two PbPs.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Yeah, the rules are relatively easy to grok but the main issue is that character creation can be a pain to manage without the games PDF/rules handy due to being inable to reference the weapon and trait charts.

• Wolf of DresdenWolf of Dresden Registered User regular
    Several players of mine subscribe to the philosophy of meaningful names.

To mess with them I created the 40k character Colonel Brutus Judas Quisling (of the Ordo Tempestus). He's completely loyal.

I once ran a Cyberpunk game where the Solo who sold the party out was named Le Plante. That's the sort of trick which only works once, although your post has made me think there may be one more shot left in that tank.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Yeah, doing it once in a blue moon is great. My first DM used to use character names from series that he thought we never read. Once, and this was long before Game of Thrones was what it was today, we had a Cersei Lannister, a noble woman who was so nice to our group, but the bard of the party had read the first two books of the series and didn't trust her, but he didn't say anything in character about it. Sure enough, she had killed her husband and blamed the rogue (me) for it and while I was trying to escape from prison, the party was trying to find the real culprit. Which didn't work as I got out of prison and killed Cersei before they found the evidence they needed.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Yeah, doing it once in a blue moon is great. My first DM used to use character names from series that he thought we never read. Once, and this was long before Game of Thrones was what it was today, we had a Cersei Lannister, a noble woman who was so nice to our group, but the bard of the party had read the first two books of the series and didn't trust her, but he didn't say anything in character about it. Sure enough, she had killed her husband and blamed the rogue (me) for it and while I was trying to escape from prison, the party was trying to find the real culprit. Which didn't work as I got out of prison and killed Cersei before they found the evidence they needed.

Yeah, I got away a couple of times stealing names from the Malazan series, but then my best friend started reading the series, so I had to give it up.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Honestly, I just play with random syllables until I find something that sounds cool when playing a Star Wars alien.

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    If I have to come up with a name on the fly, I just look at the nearest thing that has words on it, take the last few letters from one word and the first few from the next one.

From the above paragraph, I'd wind up with something like Haswor or Exton.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    My players sometimes come up with names and I roll with it. In the 13th Age game in which I first ran Seijin and Buddha73 in, they got a foot long box from a guy they then named Jarred. Needless to say, it set the tone for the party and the whole adventure as they made prison and Subway jokes at the poor guy.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Who will be first to make an rpg that uses a 120-sided die: http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/the-dice-you-never-knew-you-needed?intcid=mod-latest

desc on
  • InkhandInkhand Registered User regular
    Just think of the random encounter tables! "Roll 2d120..."

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    If I have to come up with a name on the fly, I just look at the nearest thing that has words on it, take the last few letters from one word and the first few from the next one.

We used to play Shadowrun and TMNT in the back of the van while going to/from Boy Scout campouts and summer camp. There was a designated van where all of the Boy Scouts who play RPGs in our troop would climb into, and we'd end up playing Shadowrun (using dice rollers programmed on a calculator or just a Pop-o-matic bubble repurposed for this). I used to give one of my friends a lot of shit for the way he came up with random names when he GM'ed. He'd literally just look out the window and use the next road sign that came up. We had SO many Mr. Johnsons and sararimen named "Denny" or "Mr. (Burger) King" or "McDonald". :P

Nowadays, we still occasionally do this (without the roadtrip, of course); we just name the NPCs after restaurants and hotels, just for the fun of it. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    So the last time I roleplayed online was a while ago and back then, I used to use ventrillo and maptools. Now though, all options are on the table. I'll be running three games:

Shadowrun
    FFG Starwars (Edge of the Empire etc)
    Trail of Cthulhu

Any suggestions on the best way to play these games online? They will be regular sessions, I know I want voice chat in all three as well and we play for around 4 hours. Any recommendations would be appreciated, especially considering the quirks of each system. The Star Wars game has me having particular kittens in how to run it online well.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Aegeri wrote: »
    So the last time I roleplayed online was a while ago and back then, I used to use ventrillo and maptools. Now though, all options are on the table. I'll be running three games:

Shadowrun
    FFG Starwars (Edge of the Empire etc)
    Trail of Cthulhu

Any suggestions on the best way to play these games online? They will be regular sessions, I know I want voice chat in all three as well and we play for around 4 hours. Any recommendations would be appreciated, especially considering the quirks of each system. The Star Wars game has me having particular kittens in how to run it online well.
    roll20 is fine for all of them. I prefer Maptools for Shadowrun specifically because I have a butt-ton of Maptools-specific macros and tokens for it (I have a 1-button NPC generator, for example, to speak to the level of automation I have... My campaign macros allow me to process and pass initiative smoothly, even with the new Interrupt Actions in 5E), but without a good campaign framework, you are probably best served by roll20. Unless there's a new kid on the block (Hangin' tough!) that I'm not aware of.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    For Jdarksun's game we've been using Roll20 in a hangouts shell though we've been rolling in a hangouts plug-in for FFG dice. Really maptools is just a white board and private chat system for what we've been doing.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    What will I need to get the dice working for Star Wars?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Aegeri wrote: »
    What will I need to get the dice working for Star Wars?

In roll20 I think you need to use one of their frameworks which I don't know about as I'm not that level of subscriber. For Hangouts you need the link to the plug in which I could give you when I get home.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    for anybody who liked the game world of rifts but was put off with the more old fashioned rules system at noon eastern today the kickstarter for the savage worlds rifts conversion went live and looks like it funded in about 7 minutes. Looks like the PDF for it will be going out in june so this is not a fund and pray type situation looks like they are about ready to rock as soon as the kick starter finishes up.

Plus side if this turns out as good as other savage world products there is 25 years of world info available out there to help support it.

kaid on
    kaid wrote: »
    for anybody who liked the game world of rifts but was put off with the more old fashioned rules system at noon eastern today the kickstarter for the savage worlds rifts conversion went live and looks like it funded in about 7 minutes. Looks like the PDF for it will be going out in june so this is not a fund and pray type situation looks like they are about ready to rock as soon as the kick starter finishes up.

Plus side if this turns out as good as other savage world products there is 25 years of world info available out there to help support it.
    Might want to cut out the link to the Kickstarter. It's not allowed on these forums.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

We used to play Shadowrun and TMNT in the back of the van while going to/from Boy Scout campouts and summer camp. There was a designated van where all of the Boy Scouts who play RPGs in our troop would climb into, and we'd end up playing Shadowrun (using dice rollers programmed on a calculator or just a Pop-o-matic bubble repurposed for this). I used to give one of my friends a lot of shit for the way he came up with random names when he GM'ed. He'd literally just look out the window and use the next road sign that came up. We had SO many Mr. Johnsons and sararimen named "Denny" or "Mr. (Burger) King" or "McDonald". :P

Nowadays, we still occasionally do this (without the roadtrip, of course); we just name the NPCs after restaurants and hotels, just for the fun of it. :D

Honestly, naming most of your characters Mr. Johnson or Mr. <Food Chain> is cyberpunk as fuck. As long as that's just the cover name they're using.

kaid wrote: »

Might want to cut out the link to the Kickstarter. It's not allowed on these forums.

woops did not know that gave it the chop.

Just kinda pumped for it I really loved rifts back in the old days but the game system has gotten a bit kludgy over time. A modern game system with that world really interests me and the art on the kick starter previews looks pretty dang amazing.

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I'm a huge Rifts fanboy, but I think I'm going to be wait and see on the Savage Worlds thing.

Primarily because of the Savage Worlds thing.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

Honestly, naming most of your characters Mr. Johnson or Mr. <Food Chain> is cyberpunk as fuck. As long as that's just the cover name they're using.

"Hello, I'm Mr. McDonald, and I'll be your Johnson today. *whisper*This message sponsored by McDonalds."

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Savage Worlds did not strike me as doing anything particularly well when I played it.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Savage Worlds did not strike me as doing anything particularly well when I played it.

It does 40k fairly well.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    Heck I would probably wind up getting it for the art alone. More full color rifts art = good for me sounds like a poster map of NA will be available as well and I have been looking for an "official" color map of rifts NA for a while. Also looks like palladium is about ready to ship a new rifts book heroes of humanity as well for their normal rule system so looks like they are getting more and more active after the economy plus their problems with an employe stealing a lot of money from them almost stuck the fork in them a few years back.

It does 40k fairly well.

Wait, is there a conversion somewhere or just fan stuff?

For 40k I'm actually kinda happy with the FFG stuff even if I think the game systems are not very elegant or anything. If sort of reflects the aesthetics of the setting for me.

Honestly given the everything and the kitchen sink nature of rifts something like savage worlds is probably about as good of a fit for rules conversion as they are likely to find. Curious what mods wind up getting done to the savage world rules to deal with mega damage or if that still winds up even being a thing as with the savage worlds rules probably not as necessary for record keeping sanity as it was in the palladium system.

• ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    I'm a huge Rifts fanboy, but I think I'm going to be wait and see on the Savage Worlds thing.

Primarily because of the Savage Worlds thing.
    This falls under my "do not buy more Rifts stuff" rule.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476

It does 40k fairly well.

Wait, is there a conversion somewhere or just fan stuff?

For 40k I'm actually kinda happy with the FFG stuff even if I think the game systems are not very elegant or anything. If sort of reflects the aesthetics of the setting for me.

I haven't looked at the second edition yet, how's that?

• dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Savage Worlds is probably the only RPG book I've read cover to cover where, when I finished, I still had no idea how to play or run it.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tYM6B7q1fo

Shit gets real when Mordecai the Shaman summons Sharkie

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    This may seem like a weird request, but I'm really looking more for ideas from a thinktank of likeminded people with regards to coming up with a concept of a character for an Exalted 2e campaign.

I tried to get some help from some Facebook friends, but as anyone familiar with it knows, Exalted is a self contained world with it's own rules and vast expanded universe. While you can compare it to a few things such as "over the top martial arts kung fu/wuxia set in feudal China or Japan, but everyone's power level is over 9000", or as I had to explain to one other friend who loves Undertale...
    50% of characters are their own version of Undyne in a Genocide run
    it can be difficult to get ideas from people who aren't familiar with the setting or game.

I'm not too concerned about which Caste to choose, mostly because I haven't gotten that far. Since a game of Exalted usually means everyone has some good attack and defense charms, and combat is expected, I can run with that as a base and then flesh out my future role. This makes me naturally inclined to be a Dawn Solar, and I'd be okay with that, but I'm not sure I want to pick the typical Dawn character who was a natural leader, a soldier, a mercenary, a strategist, etc. Really, the world as far as a character concept is so open to me, that I can't decide on an interesting one at all.

I'm much more used to a game like D&D, where you pick a class, and then you can build a concept the fits the class. Exalted is more open than that. I can't decide on one occupation or concept that I like enough to build a story and exaltation scenario around. Any ideas or feedback would be welcome.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/v7iOXOz7BoA

On this episode of Weekly Affirmations, Strix takes her friends through the first part of Monsterhearts a game where you "create stories about sexy monsters, teenage angst, personal horror and secret love triangles. When you play you explore the terror and confusion that comes with both growing up, and feeling like a monster.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• McKidMcKid Registered User regular
    Monsterhearts is amazing and I wish I could play it someday.

• Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    McKid wrote: »
    Monsterhearts is amazing and I wish I could play it someday.

Agreed. I want to reflavor the Selkie concept to fit a Creature from the Black Lagoon character badly. He'd totally be the star of the swim team.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
    I've always wanted to play Monsterhearts but none of my friends where into Twilight/CW monster dramas. Which means they didn't want to play a game that had having sex with each other was a mechanic.

I, on the other hand, am always down for pansexual orgies and feeding on people's blood, flesh, and/or souls.

In games.

Of course...

• AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Every time I get into a PbP game of Monsterhearts here, it dies a quick death. I feel like I am terrible luck for MonsterHearts, and that makes me sad because I really want to play.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Every time I get into a PbP game of Monsterhearts here, it dies a quick death. I feel like I am terrible luck for MonsterHearts, and that makes me sad because I really want to play.

I think 90% of PbP die a quick death. As much as I enjoy them I've stopped looking for new ones because I'm always so let down when they die.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze