As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Maintaining dyed blond hair.

FreiFrei A French Prometheus UnboundDeadwoodRegistered User regular
edited May 2016 in Help / Advice Forum
Are there any special products/recommended products I should use to help maintain it? I went from naturally black hair to blond after my stylist friend just kind of asked me if I'd like her to do it out of the blue. Figured why not, may as well have some fun with my hair before the big 3-0. What do you guys think?

Are you the magic man?
Frei on

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Well, luckily for you, going blonde involves removal of color, rather than an addition of color, so you don't have to worry about "maintaining" the color of what has currently been bleached. After bleaching that much though, your hair is probably going to be pretty dry...so using some kind of moisturizing conditioner when you shower would help - leave it on for a few minutes, and wash out *most* of it, but leave some in. Avoid using any heat styling for a little while if you can (including a blowdryer if you use one) until your hair feels less dry. You'll have to bleach your roots as they come in, and to my knowledge that's really it! Other people might be able to offer more specific advice, since I've never lightened my hair that much - just dyed it red a few times a year. :)

But yeah - at this point it's mainly just taking care of the damage that bleaching did to your hair (this happens to everybody who bleaches their hair). If you ever decide to add color, there are additional tips that help slow how fast the color will come out - like only washing/rinsing your hair with cold water and such.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Well, luckily for you, going blonde involves removal of color, rather than an addition of color, so you don't have to worry about "maintaining" the color of what has currently been bleached. After bleaching that much though, your hair is probably going to be pretty dry...so using some kind of moisturizing conditioner when you shower would help - leave it on for a few minutes, and wash out *most* of it, but leave some in. Avoid using any heat styling for a little while if you can (including a blowdryer if you use one) until your hair feels less dry. You'll have to bleach your roots as they come in, and to my knowledge that's really it! Other people might be able to offer more specific advice, since I've never lightened my hair that much - just dyed it red a few times a year. :)

But yeah - at this point it's mainly just taking care of the damage that bleaching did to your hair (this happens to everybody who bleaches their hair). If you ever decide to add color, there are additional tips that help slow how fast the color will come out - like only washing/rinsing your hair with cold water and such.

Great, thanks! I was thinking there'd be more to it. My stylist friend just kind of offered it on a whim cause she was bored and I thought hey, why not. My hair was very dark so I was super surprised how natural it looked. I noticed there are special "blonde hair" shampoos. Are these just a marketing gimmick?

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Frei wrote: »

Great, thanks! I was thinking there'd be more to it. My stylist friend just kind of offered it on a whim cause she was bored and I thought hey, why not. My hair was very dark so I was super surprised how natural it looked. I noticed there are special "blonde hair" shampoos. Are these just a marketing gimmick?

As far as I know - mostly, yes. There are some color-focused products that help a bit with retaining dyed color, but for blonde hair I'm not honestly sure what benefits you'd be able to get from them, since again, it was a color-removal process! There's no color to lose.
    Some shampoos and sprays targeted towards blondes may act as a very very mild lightener - especially if you go out into the sun shortly after. Could be something for you to look into if you're interested in that. As far as keeping it the same color though...I don't think there's any maintenance needed, and certainly nothing unique that a blonde hair shampoo can give you, AFAIK. :)

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Yeah, I understand it's a depigmentation more than anything, but a big part of getting the color correct was the toner which makes it a more natural shade. I guess some shampoos can interfere with that. I suppose this is stuff I should ask my stylist tomorrow or something.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular

There is the issue that sometimes shampoos will leave a residue especially if you have hard water in your shower. I mostly manage it by rotating through 3-4 different shampoos and spending extra time to make sure it all rinses out. But the mineral/residue buildup is more of an issue for some shades of blonde than others.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Not about the hair, but... shave. That beard does not go well with the new hair style.

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    If you're not in the habit of using a good conditioner on your hair, get in the habit asap. Otherwise your hair is going to feel like you're a scarecrow.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Not about the hair, but... shave. That beard does not go well with the new hair style.

Kind of a blurry pic, but that's just very late day stubble that I shave in the morning, not a fashion choice, or evena beard. I didn't intend to go for a headshot or anything, just something to show the hair in case the shade was important. But yes, I agree.

For the rest of you, thanks for the tips! I'll def find a good conditioner since I've never had to use one before as I've had soft hair.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

As far as I know - mostly, yes. There are some color-focused products that help a bit with retaining dyed color, but for blonde hair I'm not honestly sure what benefits you'd be able to get from them, since again, it was a color-removal process! There's no color to lose.
    Some shampoos and sprays targeted towards blondes may act as a very very mild lightener - especially if you go out into the sun shortly after. Could be something for you to look into if you're interested in that. As far as keeping it the same color though...I don't think there's any maintenance needed, and certainly nothing unique that a blonde hair shampoo can give you, AFAIK. :)

that's not really true, actually. Bleached hair can turn orange or brassy over time, some shampoos have pigments in them to help reduce this effect.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

that's not really true, actually. Bleached hair can turn orange or brassy over time, some shampoos have pigments in them to help reduce this effect.

This is why I made the thread. Can you point me in the right direction?

Are you the magic man?
  • Options

Ah, I'd seen products to "remove brassiness" but they always appeared to be dyes or tints or color-removers of some kind, not regular shampoos. I learned a thing!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

This is why I made the thread. Can you point me in the right direction?

You're looking for 'purple shampoo' which is exactly what it sounds like - the purple helps reduce orange-ness. Unfortunately I don't bleach my hair so all my knowledge on this is second-hand, and I don't know which brands are good! But i found this blog post, which hopefully is helpful (you've not gone platinum, but for maintenance it's the same difference)

http://www.xovain.com/hair/dark-purple-shampoos-for-platinum-blonde

Ah, I'd seen products to "remove brassiness" but they always appeared to be dyes or tints or color-removers of some kind, not regular shampoos. I learned a thing!

yeah my sister has been cycling through hair colours since she was 13 so I've picked up some whatsits along the way.