As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[pbp]Shadowrun - Bump in the Night

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    my main fear is being seen with Michael Douglas from 'Falling Down' , but I won't...separate the group

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Consider that Breach stopped you from leaving then, unless you really want to go off and do your own thing, because I don't see why we would split up the party.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Egos wrote: »
    my main fear is being seen with Michael Douglas from 'Falling Down' , but I won't...separate the group

You clearly see something that I do not in a dude walking down the street with a duffel bag over his shoulder.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Its been mentioned a couple of times that your current outfit is not subtle, and is not fooling anyone. I doubt they are going to ignore it when we hit the checkpoint.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Its been mentioned by you guys that my outfit is not subtle. I never said that. Breach rolls in black pants, combat boots (that usually start the week blackened) and an armored jacket...nothing out of the ordinary what-so-ever for the Shadowrun world. Breach's clothes are even clean and well maintained. No rips, or tears or natty fabrics. I don't know where you guys got that impression of Breach from, but it is not correct.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Its been mentioned by you guys that my outfit is not subtle. I never said that. Breach rolls in black pants, combat boots (that usually start the week blackened) and an armored jacket...nothing out of the ordinary what-so-ever for the Shadowrun world. Breach's clothes are even clean and well maintained. No rips, or tears or natty fabrics. I don't know where you guys got that impression of Breach from, but it is not correct.

Its been mentioned by Farangu in character that your outfit is not subtle. Unless you've changed something since your trip to DalyCity. If your intent is to be less battle obviously battle ready, I apologize. Its just the impression I feel we all got when you prepped for your trip.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    The troll is in the van.

Note that this is about as much as Tantrum knows about Oakland at this stage:
    Farangu wrote: »
    for a quick guideline of what to expect with the Barrens, picture the underground resistance city from Demolition Man, in a bombed out ghetto, with security to keep the sinless in and rabblerousers out. That's the basics that anyone can get off the trid. For more in-depth, not publicly known info, that's where Knowledge rolls or Contact conversations come in.
    Egos wrote:
    we'll likely be intercepted by something unsavory on the way to or back from the Labs.
    It's been a looong time since I saw Demolition Man. Is she incorrect in believing that they're about to go traipsing through what more-or-less amounts to a war-zone with little-to-no solid intel?

I guess I'll state for the record that she's wearing her armor jacket over her hoodie. Just in case. Though @Farangu is welcome to veto that if it's too much of a stretch.

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Let me clarify:

Breach's outfit was a tad conspicuous when he got on a public bus not more than 10 minutes from a triple A security zone, to the average SINner. Going into a Barrens, it would be more conspicuous if people didn't look like they could handle themselves.

Also @Maclay you can wear whatever you want so long as you try to hide anything restricted or illegal.

• Options
    Brody wrote: »
    Steelhawk wrote: »

Its been mentioned by Farangu in character that your outfit is not subtle. Unless you've changed something since your trip to DalyCity. If your intent is to be less battle obviously battle ready, I apologize. Its just the impression I feel we all got when you prepped for your trip.

I don't know where Farangu got that impression either, but clearly, I see neat, black, armored clothing as much more common-place in the Shadowrun world that others do. I don't see how throwing a duffel bag into the mix really shakes things up enough to be any more of a heat score as the rest of the other characters here.

Anyway...

• Options
    Okay. I guess the main thing was whether or not my jacket would be an identifiable feature that would ruin any attempt to appear to be someone else. It's probably pretty generic though, sort of a Runner uniform, ton of folk wear this exact same jacket.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    I'll follow Maclay's lead and wear my armored clothing....

Egos on
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    vlcsnap-1082476.png

Egos on
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Nevermind

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Well then. Now that that's been addressed, let's continue.

Any other precautions before you all drive to Oakland?

• Options
    Generally speaking, we should be packing like we are going into a complete warzone right?

Meaning I should probably take a shotgun

• Options
    I would say yes....but that is only because the potential is there to actually enter the Barrens and move onto the next step right away.

As I was advocating, THIS trip is merely to suss out the border and see what kind of checkpoints Lone Star has put up. My contention that is the checkpoint is going to be the least of our worries, and that once past the checkpoints we can get to the real nitty gritty legwork and get eyes on the Lab/find the dwarf/get more intel/escape route/etc...

Breach locked his doors tight, tipped the doorman to keep an eye out, and is rolling with a duffel bag filled with shotgun shells and flash-bangs...drive back in a few hours or plant himself in the Barrens for a couple of days...he's ready to rock and/or roll.

• Options
    Guess everyone is ready then.

You all pile into the bulldog, noticing as you get in that Frost isn't here. The van is driving itself.

Once everyone is settled in, Frost's voice returns. "And off we go. Let me know if I'm just dropping you off, or moving you all around Oakland."

As the van gets onto 80 crossing the bay, you can see a better contrast of the two cities. San Francisco, with its towering spires and Azzie pyramid, looks to be a beacon of commerce and progress. Oakland, on the other hand, is squat and monotone, as if all their energy is spent on surviving.

5:30 p.m.

As the van enters Touristville, you see a couple square blocks' worth of basic amenities, and a bar that seems to be packed. Past that, you see the checkpoints that grant access to Oakland proper.

• Options
    If she can see the checkpoints Tantrum looks for any pertinent signage. Otherwise she just sits quietly.

• Options
    @Maclay You can see some signage up by the checkpoints, but the only word you can make out from where the van currently is is "Attention".

• Options
    Breach exits the van and takes a look around, first at the checkpoints themselves. With special attention to how...intense...the level of security is, not really expecting much. I'm picturing something like an interstate toll booth here. If that. I am far from the mark? How bored the guards manning the checkpoint look. What the level of traffic is going through the checkpoint, etc.

Second thing Breach looks to is the bar. Why is it so packed? And with who? Locals? Truckers? Go-Gangers?

Geth, roll 9d6t5 for Perception

Perception:
    9d6t5 5 [9d6t5=5, 6, 6, 6, 6, 3, 1, 2, 2]

• Options
    @Steelhawk the checkpoints are a bit larger than the old toll booths, each with one or two Star officers. From where you are, you can see that the level of care for their work varies amongst each officer. Currently, there isn't much foot traffic in right now, and before you can give the subject much thought, the bar answers your question.

The Last Stop looks to be a dive, and yet is packed to the gills. Examining closer, you can tell that it only presents itself as a dive: the people going in are either wearing ritzy clothes, or poor attempts to "blend in" with designer street wear. Your link pings that there's an ARO in front of the door; accessing it shows the text:

CalFree's famous weekly Oakland Safari! See how the other side lives! Departures every hour on the hour, waivers to be signed inside.

• Options
    Breach grins, "Well, team....I think we just found our way in..."

• Options
    Tantrum holds her tongue for the moment and goes to get a closer, but not too close, look at the border itself. Yuge wall? Fence? Dotted line that says 'Do Not Cross'? If she happens to get a better look at the signs, that'd be nice too.
    Geth roll 9d6t5 for Perception

Perception:
    9d6t5 2 [9d6t5=2, 6, 4, 3, 3, 6, 1, 1, 3]

• Options
    Can we hear Breach if we are in the van ?

• Options
    You all got micro-transceivers and mics, so at this point you all are in constant communication as long as you're within a set radius of miles, unless someone actively turns off their mic by telling me so.

• Options
    Should we assume it's all very Bourne Identity-esque and we are being listened in on all the time? Or just in high security locations for the sake of sanity?

• Options
    @Maclay You get a basic look at the barrier structure - a couple of fences a few meters taller than the average troll, with about 30 meters between them and a concrete wall in the middle. You see the odd tower scattered throughout the no man's land, but no good look at any manpower or armaments in the towers.

As for the signs, after getting about half a block closer you see the basic gist of them: no unauthorized entry or exit from Oakland, violaters have been warned, etc.

• Options
    @Egos do you mean outside people listening in to you? The transceivers are a closed circuit, so someone has to hack in to hear you.

• Options
    yeah, since I'm still new to Shadowrun (tabletop)- I wasn't sure how Philip K Dick it is

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    "now THAT looks like an interesting tavern..."

• Options
    So if there's any other digging around you folks want to do in Touristville, let me know, otherwise I'm assuming you all are gravitating towards the tavern.

• Options
    Can we tell what the 'demographics' of this place are at this stage? (M)any trolls or orks in there?

• Options
    The bar? Can't see inside too well. You've seen a couple of humans, and the odd ork or elf go in so far.

• Options
    "Sounds like its a good thing I took a bath this morning, lets head in." Blackfish will do her best to look more like an upstanding member of a tribal nation and less like an oversized homeless rat with horns.

• Options
    "Guess I might get that drink after all." Tantrum mutters to herself, heading towards the door.

• Options
    As Breach heads to the bar with the others, fully intending to sign everyone up for the Safari, he looks around for any of the "usual suspects" loitering around.

Drug dealers, smugglers, thieves etc. that might know more information about the checkpoints and the Barrens in general.

Geth, roll 7d6t5 for Street Knowledge and/or Criminal Orgs

Street Knowledge and/or Criminal Orgs:
    7d6t5 2 [7d6t5=2, 6, 2, 3, 2, 4, 6]

• Options
    Bauta staggers behind the others, entering the "tavern" last. He attempts to stay close to the two Trolls, figuring he would avoid trouble via association. He mutters "Think I'll grab one too..." after hearing her intents to grab one. He tries to keep his intent to stay by the muscle somewhat conspicuous, but he reckons he is doing a shit job. Once he reached the bar he would order something strong but not too strong, he told himself. Wanting to stay alert.

Hugging close to Tantrum , he turns back to see if anyone is reacting strangely to the group's presence. Bauta was paranoid as usual.

Geth roll 9d6t5 to see if Anyone Has Taken Particular Notice of the Group (Visual Perception)

to see if Anyone Has Taken Particular Notice of the Group (Visual Perception):
    9d6t5 3 [9d6t5=3, 2, 3, 6, 6, 1, 6, 1, 3]

• Options
    Blackfish walks straight to the bar, and orders a Troll sized shot of wells whiskey.

• Options
    Well, I suppose Farangu would have mentioned a bouncer if there were one. So... Tantrum approaches the bar, looks back at the crowd and gives the bartender a semi-apologetic look. "Gimme a shot of the strongest shit you got." She closes her eyes for a second. "Fuck. Make it a double." Including a 500% tip, she follows up with: "So, any chance you could give me the real deal on the Barrens? The shit that these morons ain't gonna get to see?"

• Options
    As you enter the bar, you are washed over with a wave of noise; calling a simple looped beat with minimal accompaniments "music" is too generous. Looking around, you see lots of humans, some elves, and very few orks. All of them are very well adorned, as are the walls and seating of the place. You don't see any trolls or dwarves here.

@Egos you pick up on the fact that the crowd in here definitely notice the trolls, and start to give your group as wide a berth as can be given in a fairly packed bar.

Breach sees the anomaly right as Tantrum plops down a fat tip to the ork bartender and asks about it (take 75 nuyen off your sheet): a corner booth near completely shrouded in darkness, with an errant puff of smoke hitting the low light around it.

"You want real stuff on Oakland? You head over there. You ask for Halona."

The bartender does a poor job of chuckling to herself. "Then you try to stay breathing over the next minute or two. If Halona still talks to you, you'll get all the Oakland you need."