As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WIN8 & WIN10] Search Energy Star, learn about windows in windows using Windows.

19495969798100»

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Have you looked into the gwx control panel? Not sure if that just hides the notification or if it can help more.

• wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    Oh, brilliant, thanks!

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    If not, there are a couple registry keys you can add to get rid of the updates.

At least until Microsoft wipes them with an update later.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    So a few pages pack we talked about how awful browsers generally are, especially Chrome, which is particularly awful if you happen to use Chrome (like me).

Apparently Vivaldi (a Chronium browser, I guess?) is getting some rounds in the press, and works with Chrome extensions (which is the single greatest reason I've stayed with Chrome personally). Has anyone had any experience with it?

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I have some experience with it!

But it must have been... a year or more ago. I gave up on it because there was no option to make opening new tabs in the background the default behavior (no joke). I'm sure it's come a long way since then?

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I believe it hit 1.0 a few weeks ago, I never bothered to install it. Honestly for as much as I don't love Chrome I pretty much live in the google services ecosystem for email, calendar, bookmark sync, drive, etc, and Chrome just does that the best, so it would take a lot for me to switch now.

Also, we're on page 100. I'm going to work on a new OP and start a new thread tonight.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    Chrome makes a lot more sense if you're integrated into Google's service ecosystem.

I'm not (and frankly, I've yet to have not bad-to-mediocre experience with Google Docs, the single Chrome service I'm most interested in), so it loses some appeal. Hence my concern about extensions.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Vivaldi seems it wants to be next-gen Opera than anything else, which I'm sure will be of keen interest to Opera diehards who love like five billion features baked into the browser without have to go to extensions. I steered away from it since its UI is built on web tech, which in my experience tends to be bloated messes, but I realize that's dumb because the place it makes most sense to build your UI on web tech is a friggin browser.

Synthesis wrote: »
    Chrome makes a lot more sense if you're integrated into Google's service ecosystem.

I'm not (and frankly, I've yet to have not bad-to-mediocre experience with Google Docs, the single Chrome service I'm most interested in), so it loses some appeal. Hence my concern about extensions.

Google Docs is fine as long as you don't ask it to do too much. Basic stuff, absolutely. Writing the next great novel on it? nope. Simple budgeting/spreadsheets, sure. Complex mathematics and pivot tables, lolnope.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Vivaldi is pretty great. It's the spiritual successor to Opera 12, and it shows. I'm actually using it as my main browser.

You can use Chrome extensions, and it's very stable since at least version 1.0, I didn't have a crash since a few betas before that, actually..

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited April 2016
    wunderbar wrote: »

Google Docs is fine as long as you don't ask it to do too much. Basic stuff, absolutely. Writing the next great novel on it? nope. Simple budgeting/spreadsheets, sure. Complex mathematics and pivot tables, lolnope.

That basically agrees with my account of it sucking.

I mean, I know it's not going to stream genuine office software to whatever PC I'm using. I'm OK with that.

But using it at work, I kind of got the impression it didn't even do the basic things well--large-number file transfers, sorting, recovery.

The one thing I can think of that Google Docs did well was multiple simultaneous editors.

Synthesis on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Downloaded Vivaldi right now just for kicks. It appears to have no dropdown bookmark menu, so away it goes.

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    I just really wish that Chrome wouldn't just plain break my Windows 10.

A regular occurrence is that some wepage will refuse to load, causing every other tab to refuse to load. I will close Chrome, and kill off all processes. However, if I try to open Chrome again, the processes start, but it never actually loads up. The only thing that fixes this is a complete system reboot. And, even worse, sometimes when trying to reboot, Windows will hang at the blue screen with the rotating symbol trying to reboot, forcing a forced power-off. It's absolutely infuriating. Has anyone else experienced this at all?

Simpsonia wrote: »
    I just really wish that Chrome wouldn't just plain break my Windows 10.

A regular occurrence is that some wepage will refuse to load, causing every other tab to refuse to load. I will close Chrome, and kill off all processes. However, if I try to open Chrome again, the processes start, but it never actually loads up. The only thing that fixes this is a complete system reboot. And, even worse, sometimes when trying to reboot, Windows will hang at the blue screen with the rotating symbol trying to reboot, forcing a forced power-off. It's absolutely infuriating. Has anyone else experienced this at all?

I have that issue in Windows 8.1, minus Chrome fucking with the OS restarting. If that happened, I would literally uninstall Chrome that way. It's one thing to make me miserable, it's quite another to fuck with my entire operating system.
    I just literally had the perfect example of how much I hate Chrome:

1) Router needs to be restart. Okay, fine, power cycle router.
    2) Go back to Chrome browser.
    3) CHROME CAN'T ACCESS GOOGLE: DNS ADDRESS CANNOT BE FOUND.
    4) But of course fucking Internet Explorer does it just fine.

I am literally at a loss for words. I can fix it, but seriously, this is not something that should happen. It's not like its the most popular website on the fucking planet and their own browser.

At least for me, Chrome is ridiculous temperamental--and if something does break, you either have to have 30 minutes for it to fix itself, or restarting your PC and hope that does it.

The hilarious fact that my other browser, crappy IE, doesn't have these issues is pushing me more towards Vivaldi.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'm still using Firefox for most of the heavy lifting. I'm a rebel, Dottie.

Mugsley wrote: »
    I'm still using Firefox for most of the heavy lifting. I'm a rebel, Dottie.

It's a shame that they seem to be slowly transforming it into Chrome.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/04/cortana-web-searches-in-windows-10-will-now-only-be-able-to-open-edge-and-bing/

Well, looks like Cortana is worthless again. They were getting so close to having it be reasonable, too.

So, I was too busy to make my fancy-ish OP for the new Windows thread, but we are on page 100 so I just made a thread and will finish the OP on the weekend.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/204766/windows-os-version-1604