As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW]: The portal's always greener on the fel side.

RoeRoe Always to the EastRegistered User regular
edited April 2016 in MMO Extravaganza
10iiiz7.jpg
35k34ok.jpg

World of Warcraft's next expansion is only a stone throw away. Legion is being released on August 30th, 2016.

New features are as follows:

6jeyoo.jpg
New hero class Demon Hunters.

LRPGXVAZX9YQ1446331747369.jpg
Artifacts (new legendary weapons that level with you.)

m7rlkw.jpg
Explore the broken isles.

oHw5R0V.jpg
Roe on

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Illidan, eh?

Does no one stay dead in this universe?

RT800 on
  • Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Nah. It was only a setback.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    not as long as you're polite to the spirit healer

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    So MMO champ has some details regarding the pre-expansion event for Legion
    Looks like it'll be vaguely reminiscent of the WOTLK one, with players getting randomly getting a thing that will let players cause craziness around them, including infecting others, making a group of targets attack one another, and eventually turn you into a dreadlord

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Also looks like the Stormwind Park will be getting slightly repaired and
    Varian's grave will be there.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Question is, will they finally wind down the whole sham that is the Horde Vs. the Alliance?

• Options
    But then what's the pretext for PvP?

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Border squabbles by raiding parties, keeping in fighting shape for the next time an old god shows up to kill them all. It isn't like death matters with the spirit healers around...unless you're a plot character.

Nosf on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I think the Forsaken/Worgen could make for a good excuse.

Either way it isn't like you can't do it. Rift managed it just fine while still keeping separate starting areas/big cities. And for any argument that it can't be done in WoW specifically, the Scourge Invasion event for WotLK allowed people from both factions to communicate(not sure if they could trade though) when turned into ghouls.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    There was an addon that actually translated the opposing faction gobbledygook speech in early retail, so yeah, bring back original WoW and stuff.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Illidan, eh?

Does no one stay dead in this universe?

Just the guy in your dungeon group that released and doesn't know how to find the entrance to get his body back.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

https://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/215526882_sKpsx/0/2100x20000/215526882_sKpsx-2100x20000.jpg

(whoops, edited it out for size)

SteevL on
  • Options
    Wow, that's an old one, back then the art dept couldn't afford pupils.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

There's always the 'meh, who cares?' option. Like how they rationalized moving the Cataclysm timeline forward to post-WOTLK, but still have you visit Outland and Northrend once you hit 60. When people asked, their response was basically 'quit overthinking it, nerds.' And that's the ideal response imo.

Javen on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    How will anyone rationalize hated rivals playing capture the flag anymore?

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Angry wrote: »
    How will anyone rationalize hated rivals playing capture the flag anymore?

The game is made by Americans. From their perspective, flags are sacred relics bestowed upon humanity by God himself.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Im pretty sure the Eddie Izzard joke about flags was making fun of the Brits. No flag, no country!

But really, that the pvp has no impact at all on the world, and the pve story has the horde and alliance being all cooperative, it just feels disjointed. Wpvp feels even worse when its something like tanaan. We're supposed to be fighting the iron horde/guldan and the legion but I'll be damned if youre going to pick those flowers I want, or that flag for the assaults.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Im pretty sure the Eddie Izzard joke about flags was making fun of the Brits. No flag, no country!

I really feel Valkyria Chronicles was meant to be one giant joke about the Brits/Euros and their flags.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Looks like Giant Bomb is doing a live show about vanilla WoW raids on Saturday. Could be interesting.

qj1kt27cqgp1.jpg

I don't think any of the regular on-camera guys did any raiding, so I imagine they'll bring in Rorie.

• Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Question is, will they finally wind down the whole sham that is the Horde Vs. the Alliance?

RIFT already did it, so it's not unprecedented, and it was a HUGE improvement. There were still some restrictions on PvP servers, so the PvP concept wasn't outright abandoned.

Honestly this is about the only thing that would bring someone like me back... I have a bunch of friends that still play, but they're spread across both factions and a dozen different servers. I played a bit in MoP, but upkeep on two characters (one on each faction) was way to much of a hassle.

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    You can already queue as the opposing faction in bgs. Rbgs can put you on the opposing faction's side. Dalaran is probably a neutral city again in legion. Arenas you can fight whoever. It would almost make more sense to combine the horde and alliance for grouping, then have some other kind of faction flag with a tabard or something for wpvp.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    I mean....since Illidan is essentially a dread lord who couldn't guess that he wasn't really dead?

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    The way I'd handle getting rid of Alliance vs Horde would be the following:
    1) Allow everyone to speak Common (give Humans another language so they're not the only race with just one) and allow both factions to fully intermingle: groups, raids, guilds, etc.
    2) Remove the concept of "PvP servers" and replace it with a mercenary system where there's 2 or more mercenary groups that are population balanced (no group can be a certain percent larger than another) where joining one flags you against all others. If you're in a party with someone of a different merc group then you cannot attack anyone in that merc group but you can still attack anyone from a different merc group than the both of you and anyone not in your party who's a part of the merc group you're partied with can still attack you like normal (you can fight back once they do).
    3) In instanced PvP you're just randomly assigned to the Red Team or the Blue Team, your faction and mercenary group don't matter.
    4) The majority of quests can now be done by either faction but there'd still remain some faction-specific and/or race-specific questlines.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Even just taking existing groups and allowing people to join them for exclusive quest lines and stuff would be cool. Stuff like the argent dawn, scarlet crusade, royal apothecary society, maybe some of the old god cults. Really let people play the world rather than railroad everyone on their shaky story elements. It sounds like the ebon blade is going to have some beef with the silver hand with what has already been leaked of their order hall quest. As most of the quests and stuff has already been developed for legion it is a bit late for it. But I would love to see them have some carry over of things between expansions, some sort of order hall rivalry and possibly war would shake things up.

Enigmedic on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Honestly just nixing factions for the purposes of raids and dungeons would be fine. Banding together to kill old gods and all that.

I'm fine with them remaining a thing in the story and the world as a whole.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I would really like if they removed factions, because I've wanted to be a Human character ever since I started playing this game but I have never had a community of people to play with on Alliance, it's always been Horde.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    if nothing else they could merge factions in pve instances (just flip people to the analogous other side race if you want to preserve immersion)

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    At this point, WoW's idiosyncracies are pretty much settled in. Though I do like that public quests are now a thing, those were very fun on RIFT and even Warhammer Online.

Did people protested over adding elevators to Ogrimmar? Been playing again for a while, want to level my new main to 60 to get the boost to the professions, and making the city more annoying to get around doesn't seem like an improvement.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I wouldn't worry much about the profession boost; the catch up recipes for profs have been pretty solid the last few expansions.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Nobody ever really complained about the elevators because the changes happened in Cataclysm and everybody level 60 or above could fly in Azeroth, so it didn't really affect anything except a few alts.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Also, the boost for the professions is a total waste of time. Even with how quick levelling is, it would take more time to level to 60 than to just level the professions at max level.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    The elevators were really awful when they first added them in, because the flight license wasn't added at the same time.

• Options
    i assume that was the time between prepatch and expac release?

• Options
    There is something to be said for the amount of gold you can save by getting to 60 and boosting instead of leveling them. Some of the catch up recipes use quite a bit of materials which could take a while to gather, or a lot of gold to buy. If gold isn't an issue it's probably easier to just use the catch up recipes though.

Vanilla Ogrimmar best Ogrimmar! Obviously theyve added a bunch of portals and extra zeps all over the place, but man the layout makes Boston look organized.

Getting rid of factions would be great though. How many times have people wanted to play X class and race, and the only thing holding them back is the faction? Pretty much after humans and blood elves there is a huge drop off in race representation. The game is basically humans vs blood elves judging from which races players are playing. The story doesn't really make a lot of sense on that front. Might as well just unify stuff and let all the butthurt people that can't let go of a grudge be the bad guys of the expansion. The tauren and trolls don't really seem too evil and vindictive, they just ended up with the horde. The orcs in azeroth had to have taken a huge hit in numbers following garrosh's mess. The goblins just want money, and joining forces opens new markets! The undead are kind of the loose cannon with crazy, but there are crazy humans like Jaina too. Who wouldn't want a raid where you fight Jaina?

• Options
    i wouldn't want a raid where i fight jaina

i think the handling of her character has been super lame, they took what should have been a reasonable reaction and storyline (a former pacifist and devout believer in peace is confronted with a warmonger) and completely shit the bed with the writing of it, in a time period where they were already catching justifiable flak for writing kind of shitty female characters

saying "fuck it! kill 'er!" would be a dramatic doubling-down on their mishandling of the situation and betray a complete lack of understanding of any criticism of it

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    I'm probably sticking to my plan of leveling, want to see Cata content. So far, Aszhara is fun, even if you are pretty much looting the place for goblins.

i think the handling of her character has been super lame, they took what should have been a reasonable reaction and storyline (a former pacifist and devout believer in peace is confronted with a warmonger) and completely shit the bed with the writing of it, in a time period where they were already catching justifiable flak for writing kind of shitty female characters

saying "fuck it! kill 'er!" would be a dramatic doubling-down on their mishandling of the situation and betray a complete lack of understanding of any criticism of it
    New revenge obsessed Jaina is a hypocrite, since when it wasn't her turf that got shot at by the Horde, she was all "peace and understanding", but now that it is, she went all "Blood for the Blood God". Hell, the SoO end cinematics make it look that it was looking at her acting like that was one of the reasons why Varian decided to try the peaceful solution.

Though even a kind-of crazy Jaina is more relatable than Green Jesus, who vastly overstayed his welcome and should have gotten killed a while ago.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    I've always been kinda bummed that Blood Elves are Horde only.

I mean they're the same model as high elves and high elves are Alliance.

I could see making peace with the Orcs, Tauren, and Blood Elves. Maybe even the Trolls and Goblins.

But those Forsaken are shifty as hell.

RT800 on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    i assume that was the time between prepatch and expac release?

Yeah. I don't actually remember how long that was, but at the time it felt like forever.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    I'm probably sticking to my plan of leveling, want to see Cata content. So far, Aszhara is fun, even if you are pretty much looting the place for goblins.

New revenge obsessed Jaina is a hypocrite, since when it wasn't her turf that got shot at by the Horde, she was all "peace and understanding", but now that it is, she went all "Blood for the Blood God". Hell, the SoO end cinematics make it look that it was looking at her acting like that was one of the reasons why Varian decided to try the peaceful solution.

Though even a kind-of crazy Jaina is more relatable than Green Jesus, who vastly overstayed his welcome and should have gotten killed a while ago.

That's not why Jaina is pissed. Jaina is pissed because Garrosh ordered the Eye of Eternity to be stolen from the Blue Dragonflight and made into a weapon that obliterated Theramore, a neutral city. The weapon was essentially a magic nuke with the side-effect of ripping open reality in the area and causing its effects to occur in every parallel timeline simultaneously. The thing is a planetbuster. Oh, and the portals of Dalaran were used to move the thing, the Sunreavers violating their neutrality in the process.

This made her angry, but through Mists of Pandaria she's been having talks with Varian and others and is ready to forgive the Horde for their actions. That's when Garrosh orders the Divine Bell be stolen from Darnassus to be used as a weapon against the Alliance. At this time Jaina is head of the Kirin Tor and here the Sunreavers once again use the portals to enter Darnassus, steal the Bell, and get it to Garrosh. Now there's no redemption for them and Jaina imprisons as many Sunreavers as possible while banishing them entirely from Dalaran.

Come the end of Mists she urges Varian to dismantle the Horde, break its leadership, because she believes they cannot be trusted. And she has good reason to be thinking that because the Horde has shown they can't be trusted. The Forsaken break their word at every turn while developing a world-destroying plague, the Orcs are bloodthirsty psychopaths who only need a reason, the Blood Elves are ungrateful for having a purified Sunwell, the Trolls have a habit of eating their gods when things go bad, and the Goblins are the ones who made the mana bomb in the first place. The only really decent races part of the Horde at the time were the Tauren and few Pandaren who joined.

She has every logical reason to not think the Horde can be trusted, because they have shown her repeatedly that they will betray her trust at every turn. That is GOOD writing, rather than letting her be a doormat smiling wanly as more of her friends and family are killed by the Horde because "peace".

• Options
    there is a version of jaina's story that is good writing, but it is not the one in the game

she's an extreme cartoon caricature of the story beats that should be happening

liEt3nH.png
This discussion has been closed.