As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me get a cool avatar

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    What do you like then? It looks like you've spent most of your posting on PA in political threads. Perhaps a picture of a prominent political figure that has been modified or defaced in some way that amuses you?

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Could just go for a bird. Birds are cool and pretty. Lots of folks have bird avatars, even if they are human.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    The Internet loves cats.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    If you find a gif you want modified I can do it if you don't have access to photoshop. I'm not a professional, however.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Here use this:

5KZh000.png

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Take each of our responses and make them an equal part of a single avatar

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    y3h0k5n6mss1.gif

• Options
    Take all the avatars on the forum and put them in an epic rotator

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Make an avatar of Aang and one of the Na'vi, playing Ultima 4.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »

How do you do those rotator things anyhow?

• Options
    Enc wrote: »

Lots of sites do it for you now, but it's basically a script that sends a random path to an image to be displayed that the forum allows you to call instead of just accepting a direct link to an image. It's a php script compatible with a php forum.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Lots of sites do it for you now, but it's basically a script that sends a random path to an image to be displayed that the forum allows you to call instead of just accepting a direct link to an image. It's a php script compatible with a php forum.

I was under the impression that such rotators were disabled here for the most part. A few users have them grandfathered in from before Vanilla, but since (now) Vanilla hosts the avatars they've kind of put the kibosh on rotators.
    I could be wrong though.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    This lack of closure is killing me.

My two cents - pick something dumb from a music video because hey why not worked for me.

Seriously, choice is so important. You will forever be a creepy, laserbeam death guy to me.

Also, when a long standing forumer changes their avatar it is TRAUMATIC to me.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I definitely know the avatars more than the names.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I definitely know the avatars more than the names.

This is why regulars with the default one are so frustrating.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    So you like avatars?

UpIo0On.jpg?1

HAVE AN AVATAR OF THE AVATAR FROM AVATAR!!!!

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
  • Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    Find a professional photography studio.
    Have them do you up with hair and makeup and take a photo.
    Crop appropriately. Maybe a bit like this?

It's what I did.
    No I didn't. I drew a self portrait.
    No I didn't. I stole mine from an obscure webcomic that I like.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    Savge wrote: »
    I was looking more for ideas on the content

Here you go. ;)

1f7lf1zsp8iq.jpg

Why aren't you using this yet? ;)

• Options
    Macho man in a rare moment showing that he can Haduken, but never in the ring, because he was fair

• Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    I've found you can't search for an avatar, you won't be happy if you force it, but soon enough the right avatar comes to you.

I think you're right, the harder I look the less satisfied I seem to be with my options.

I have no idea though how to really find "the one". It's not like I going around looking at memes nor do I have any particular characters I'd be interested in.

.....dude. It's just an avatar. It's not really something so important as to even need "the one." Hell, I just use a LINE sticker set for mine ( https://store.line.me/stickershop/product/1109397/en ) .

sig.gif
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    What about....

gcbUVdk.jpg

AN AVATAR OF THE AVATAR FROM AVATAR!?!?!?!

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    What about....

gcbUVdk.jpg

aqgr11dnw0la.jpg
    Let's mix this up a bit more, by having him also be The AVATAR.

• Options
    SavgeSavge Indecisive Registered User regular
    What about a cool sig to match with my avatar?

Is that at all important to people? I see a lot of people with matching themes in their avatar and sigs and they seem very legit that way. What makes a good sig?

• Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    You should have a message that is important that you want to get across in your signature.
    I suggest:
    "Live. Laugh. Love" or "Bless this post~"

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Is that at all important to people? I see a lot of people with matching themes in their avatar and sigs and they seem very legit that way. What makes a good sig?

Signatures aren't as important as avatars. Users can turn off signatures in their options settings, and IIRC mobile browsing doesn't display them either.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Find a thing you like. Put it in the box. If you don't like it or find something better, change it if you want.

You're putting way more thought in to this than you need to. No one's going to really care what your avatar is barring something overtly offensive.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

woah there!

finish your avatar first!

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Cool_Avatar.jpg

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Put the avatar blue arrow on Macho Man. I vote for that one.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    see317 wrote: »
    Bedlam wrote: »
    What about....

gcbUVdk.jpg

aqgr11dnw0la.jpg
    Let's mix this up a bit more, by having him also be The AVATAR.

Not complete until he's playing Ultima 4

• Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    see317 wrote: »

I was under the impression that such rotators were disabled here for the most part. A few users have them grandfathered in from before Vanilla, but since (now) Vanilla hosts the avatars they've kind of put the kibosh on rotators.
    I could be wrong though.

Yeah, they're grandfathered in. These days you can only change to a static avatar.

orthanc
  • Options
    Came across this, thought of this thread
    xf3f6t9ox8eq.jpg

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The point of avatars is to make it easier for people to know who they're talking to. You don't need to actually make a character or something for it, and you don't have to just stick with whatever forever. Many folks do tend to throw in a little role-playing now and again, but it's joking around, and not a serious "This is the real me!" kind of thing.

• Options
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    The point of avatars is to make it easier for people to know who they're talking to. You don't need to actually make a character or something for it, and you don't have to just stick with whatever forever. Many folks do tend to throw in a little role-playing now and again, but it's joking around, and not a serious "This is the real me!" kind of thing.

Where did you get yours?

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Step One: Drag and drop the default avatar to your desktop.
    Step Two: Right-click on it and select Edit.
    Step Three: Draw googly eyes and a silly face on it.
    Step Four: Upload it to site by using the Change My Picture feature under Edit Profile (the gear icon on these forums).
    Step Five: Ta-da! PROFIT!
    3b3tv8tjgg75.png

EDIT: Seriously, just find a picture that you like in a square format, and upload that.

is it weird that i kinda want to use this picture as an avatar

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    No because it is an excellent avatar.

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Just use someone elses avatar, slowly supplanting them until they have ceased to be and only you remain.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    I think I'm close to finding my avatar, it's just that the source pic I was looking at didn't fit the square aspect ratio too well, but it might make a great sig!

I was browsing around today and was drawn to Captain Marcus's avatar, it looks simple and hand drawn, like I could probably make something in a similar style myself, but I don't want to seem like a copy cat.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Where did you get yours?

It's just a doodle of mine I spent a few hours on.

This discussion has been closed.