As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Giant Bomb] Would you vape Hedgehog?

BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
edited April 2016 in Games and Technology
hsRxkHZ.png?1

Welcome to the Giant Bomb thread, home of videos and articles on this hip new video game trend. They came about after controversy with founder Jeff Gerstmann's review on GameSpot, but now they're back with GameSpot but just as their own thing. Don't think about it too much. Instead, enjoy fine content such as...

Quick Looks!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxf0zL9FEQs

The Giant Bombcast!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMX057YAwN0

Newcomer Giant Beastcast!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLnm673gEvY

AND MORE THAT I CAN'T SHOW BECAUSE THEY'RE PREMIUM CONTENT. But you can see, by heading over to the Giant Bomb Store and buying a subscription! In addition to sweet exclusive content like Unprofessional Fridays and, I dunno, ongoing coverage of Brad's terrible Dota 2 Doom addiction! Or don't; it's a free internet.

STARRING INTERNET FAMOUS PEOPLE LIKE

ohFRfYf.png
JEFF GERSTMANN

CHoHBVHUsAAHRD4.jpg
BRAD SHOEMAKER

ss_alex.jpg
ALEX NAVARRO

tumblr_mo9qqspNVN1r9zdybo1_500.gif
VINNY CARAVELLA

tumblr_n8z4t74o8W1s07ds4o1_500.gif
DREW "METAL GEAR" SCANLON

hqdefault.jpg
DAN RYCKERT

2652615-8163782409-highre.jpeg
JASON OESTREICHER

u9rxXOh.gif
AUSTIN WALKER

And remember: this isn't a chat thread, so keep the derails to a pleasant minimum!

XdDBi4F.jpg
PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
Beltaine on

• Options
    WOOT! New FILM & 40's!

COMMANDO!

I gotta stop by the gas station on the way home to pick up a couple 40's and I'm set.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Did they ever get Nioh working properly?

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Also, let's not forget;

Jason Oestreicher
    2652615-8163782409-highre.jpeg

And of course, Drew Scanlon
    svs6x5.jpg

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote: »
    WOOT! New FILM & 40's!

COMMANDO!

I gotta stop by the gas station on the way home to pick up a couple 40's and I'm set.

Commando is the dumbest movie and I think I'm going to schedule myself some time this weekend to do this dumb thing.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I felt so alone without a Giant Bomb thread.

• Options
    I tend to be a craft beers and bourbon guy. Stopping at the gas station turned up a sparse selection of 40's. (Various varieties of Bud Light and Colt 45)

I need to find a good outlet with a better selection.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Did they ever get Nioh working properly?

A new religion centered around Alex was created so no?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Oh man I didn't know they did this with movies. I gotta get me Commando.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I was wondering when we'd get a new one of these.

I got to have one of the special beers at this year's GB PAX East panel (the choice was between Dan Ryckert's Normal Guy Beer, and Austin Walker's Praise the Heffeweizen: Dark Souls is the Dark Souls of Beer), and I got to help out with PAXAMANIA a little bit.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    "Dark Souls is the Dark Souls of Beer" is a fucking deep cut and I love it so much.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    The label was pretty great too

3UnkXMr.jpg

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Oh goodness the thread is back, I can stop refreshing!

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    That label is brilliant.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    I'm really hungry for grilled sausage right now.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    Are corndogs sausage rolls?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Technically a corndog is a hotdog dipped in a cornmeal batter and fried.

A corndog with a sausage instead of a hotdog would be delicious.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    A hotdog is a type of sausage, but you are saying the fried batter does not count as a roll?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Clearly.

Rolls are baked, not fried.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh, man, if you didn't check the latest Community Spotlight, that art by Ronnie is amazing.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    There's a sale on Giant Bomb subscriptions. $35 for a year.

• Options
    It's a Puroresu Party!
    PREMIUM LIVE SHOW ON MAY 04, 2016 01:00 PM

Pretzel party?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    It's a Puroresu Party!
    PREMIUM LIVE SHOW ON MAY 04, 2016 01:00 PM

Pretzel party?

Pro-wres.

• Options
    Seems like they're gonna play a bunch of Japanese wrestling games, as per Alex's Twitter. I think he said Dreamcast and N64 games.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I've discovered my own, personal version of hell. It's watching someone else play a puzzle game where I can see the solution, but I've no way of telling them.

Glal on
  • Options
    UhtredUhtred Registered User regular
    I need a stree overlord update.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Annnnd, I just scheduled myself for a "webinar" after lunch. :)

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I wrote into the Bombcast about this but I doubt it will get read so I'm curious to get your guys' thoughts.

I only became aware of Paxamania a few years ago but quickly became a fan. The craziness around the event itself compounded with a bunch of industry folks acting like lunatics is fantastic. That said, I kind of feel like it’s taken on a life of its own – and maybe not for the better.

Let me see if I can articulate this properly. PAX is probably the single biggest joining of nerd minds around all of our common geeky interests. Being a product of Penny Arcade, it’s also a pretty progressive expo – both in terms of the panels it runs, the games they bring in, but also in terms of how they support their community. In a lot of ways I see it as an extension (and extrapolation) of these forums. PAX is a relatively safe place to shed our “normie” meat costumes and embrace the true nerds that we are.

This year however it felt like all I heard about coming up to and during PAX was Paxamania. Granted, a lot of the folks whom I follow on social media are somehow tied to Giant Bomb so it makes sense that I’d hear a lot about it but I honestly don’t remember previous years being like that. The wrestling stuff even spilled over into the show in general when Dan jumped Greg Miller on the Rooster Teeth panel – and yes, of course I know this was staged. That said, I bet if you were just standing in the crowd that may’ve been something slightly shocking to see. Compound that with the fact that apparently more than a couple folks were injured through the shenanigans and I’ve got to wonder if PAX is the right venue for this sort of thing.

Not sure if I’m expressing myself as intended as I really do enjoy the Paxamania stuff and its shenanigans. It just felt a bit incongruent with the broader show.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I just realized what the Embiggen button does on the giantbomb site. That's so much nicer!

My premium expires in August, I think i'll wait to renew. I almost certainly will renew, and I like how they do their membership sales, but with three months it's hard to convince myself it's necessary at the moment. Plus, coupon code!

• Options
    There have been definite, serious conversations about making PAXAMANIA its own thing, separate from the PAX brand. Not sure how far along the conversations are, or how viable that really is, but it certainly has something to do with legal stuff, I think.

I think with the recent announcement on the Baer Caev that the company is under new management, as well as a WWF/E branded title belt that has disappeared for like a year at this point, I think there's a big shakeup scheduled for PAX West.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Getting Khoo to come on stage and shut it all down would be a great storyline.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Anything related to show wrestling is terrible.

• Options
    Oh, I think taking the PAX out of PAXW is going to cause it to lose a lot of allure, but who knows?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    I really don't think Paxamania is big enough to be standalone quite yet.

Honestly, I think keeping it just a fun thing that game industry people get together to blow off steam for is a safer bet than letting it become its own monster.

If it gets bigger at some point they're going to have to hhurt the feelings of some of the people that aren't really good at acting like a wrestler when they tell them to beat it.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    I kinda wish they went the VGCW route and had storyline outcomes mostly based on their wrestling videogame playing prowess.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    That would require them to actually make the video game wrestling work on stage.

• Options
    Yeah, Alex was tweeting about how this event was an outlier in that the machine kept breaking so there was little to no game playing involved this time. And apparently they try to have a legit match at each event, one that isn't worked or storyline driven at all, really. Stuff like Alex winning, Greg winning, that wasn't scripted because scripting a video game finish is apparently too much work. I think the Danielle/Austin match was unscripted, and the finals of the Tag Tourney was supposed to be unscripted. Basically, it has to be funny either way, and it's like a Mass Effect thing where in the end the storyline will sort of loop back into the one they want to tell.

VGCW has a bit too much chaos, and when Bazza tried to make the game go a certain way for his storyline, we got Baz McMahon and Little Mac as the Corporate Champ. That actually worked out nicely, but stuff like Terra being the Queen of Suplex City or Gabe Newell only going for submissions because he can't count to 3 would not have worked without letting the AI go crazy.

Also Alex and Austin said I should get a Nakamura haircut, or at least whatever the Nakamura haircut would be to me.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I really need this Persona 5 announcement tomorrow to be a 2016 release date.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Huh, I completely missed the creation of this thread. Good to have it back. It's been too long.

I completely skipped out on watching anything related to Paxamania this year. It was funny to me the first two times or so, but I've lost interest.

Definitely considering resubscribing using the discount. I rarely ever order merch anyway.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Yeah, Alex was tweeting about how this event was an outlier in that the machine kept breaking so there was little to no game playing involved this time. And apparently they try to have a legit match at each event, one that isn't worked or storyline driven at all, really. Stuff like Alex winning, Greg winning, that wasn't scripted because scripting a video game finish is apparently too much work. I think the Danielle/Austin match was unscripted, and the finals of the Tag Tourney was supposed to be unscripted. Basically, it has to be funny either way, and it's like a Mass Effect thing where in the end the storyline will sort of loop back into the one they want to tell.

VGCW has a bit too much chaos, and when Bazza tried to make the game go a certain way for his storyline, we got Baz McMahon and Little Mac as the Corporate Champ. That actually worked out nicely, but stuff like Terra being the Queen of Suplex City or Gabe Newell only going for submissions because he can't count to 3 would not have worked without letting the AI go crazy.

Also Alex and Austin said I should get a Nakamura haircut, or at least whatever the Nakamura haircut would be to me.

Yeah, I can see how either way the Danielle/Austin match ended would lead to Samantha getting decked and ousted from the ILC. That's probably the smart way to play it, since those old games are all so damn janky, and nobody except Alex and Dan actually know how to play them.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'll say one thing for it

Watching them play Pro Wrestling for the NES was way more interesting than Wrestlemania 2000

This discussion has been closed.