As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

VGA or Component for 360

OneEyedJackOneEyedJack Registered User regular
I'm currently running component on a 50" dlp. The picture is great, but it feels a little laggy. Its in game mode, but I still seem to get the short end of the stick in a lot of FPS where it didn't seem to happen when I was on a sd CRT. Will the VGA help at all with that?

My 360 does not have HDMI, though my tv does.

1089605-1.png?1281667433
OneEyedJack on

• Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just got the VGA cable a few days ago, and have been very, very pleased. The sharpness is noticeably better than the component cable, and, in my opinion, the colors are better. Also, DVDs look fucking gorgeous, now -- if you use your 360 as your DVD player, that's a huge factor as well.

basically: :^: :^:

gilrain on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    VGA.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have a question about the VGA cable. What sort of sound cables does it have on there? I plan on hooking my 360 up to the monitor in my room so I need to figure out what sort of sound system I'm going to need.

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Shogun wrote: »
    I have a question about the VGA cable. What sort of sound cables does it have on there? I plan on hooking my 360 up to the monitor in my room so I need to figure out what sort of sound system I'm going to need.
    It has regular right-and-left RCA, and also an optical out port (but no cable). I am using the optical, and it sounds great -- no better than RCA, to my ears, though.

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Uh...so is it possible that my dlp doesn't support hd over vga? I've got the box hooked up, but I can only get images in 4:3. It wont let me do any of the other resolutions.

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    gilrain wrote: »
    It has regular right-and-left RCA, and also an optical out port (but no cable). I am using the optical, and it sounds great -- no better than RCA, to my ears, though.

So what sort of sound system should I be looking at purchasing? Can I get this off Tiger Direct or some such? I don't need any crazy 12 speakers with surround sound and shit. I'm looking to keep wires at a minimum and something like two speakers with a sub.

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

So what sort of sound system should I be looking at purchasing? Can I get this off Tiger Direct or some such? I don't need any crazy 12 speakers with surround sound and shit. I'm looking to keep wires at a minimum and something like two speakers with a sub.
    I recommend two good, studio-monitor-style speakers with no sub, but many would disagree with me, so take it as you will. You'll also need a receiver -- I recommend Onkyo, one of their stereo models.

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

I recommend two good, studio-monitor-style speakers with no sub, but many would disagree with me, so take it as you will. You'll also need a receiver -- I recommend Onkyo, one of their stereo models.

See this is sounding expensive. I also am somewhat limited on space. I was wanting to just get some logitech speakers or some shit.

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    See this is sounding expensive. I also am somewhat limited on space. I was wanting to just get some logitech speakers or some shit.
    Yeah, you could do that.

gilrain on
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You're running an 50" HDTV... but you want to use logitec speakers?

huh.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Qs23 wrote: »
    You're running an 50" HDTV... but you want to use logitec speakers?

huh.

Wow you can really read quite well. Check for my above post where it clearly states I am hooking my 360 up to the monitor in my room. Said monitor is 20.1 inches. The other thread where I am getting an HDTV on black friday is a 32" tv. And I'm getting that for my mom. Does that clear it up for you?

Shogun on
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    oh sorry, didn't realize you had hijacked the thread.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yeah dude, go make your own god damn thread or at least wait until I get an answer.

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yeah dude, go make your own god damn thread or at least wait until I get an answer.

It seemed redundant to have two threads on the 360 VGA cable. If you'd read your thread you'd see you have answers. But I have my information, continue pissing and moaning.

Shogun on