As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dark Souls 3 has some deep lore

1979899100101103»

• Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    I didn't want to be invaded because I'm new to this sort of game and figured I would just get creamed constantly... so I just play in offline mode.

I miss out on the bloodstains but I guess that's about it. I can't summon help, either, but so far that hasn't been a major problem. Still relatively early in the game though.

That said, I don't see why co-op AND pvp would be terrible as an option. Teams and free-for-alls have been typical setups basically since multiplayer was invented, even when we all had to do it on one TV.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I'm not into "fight club"-stuff, but if people seem to be doing their thing, I can sit and watch or whatevs. Big brawls are more fun.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Even if you Ember up as a person who doesnt like PvP, you should be relatively safe most of the time.

Invasions heavily favor worlds where a host has summoned help.

... The biggest change I want, is to get the fucking lock on to actually work reliably, yes even at a distance.

EDIT: Someone should probably make a new thread!

Sirialis on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I will make the new thread. I will make it right now.

*edit* Embers Are... GO! https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/204774/dark-souls-3-has-some-deep-difficulty

Houn on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    The state of balance in the game means anyone playing a thematic character that isn't based on Dex or Str is going to get shit on by an invader if they progress naturally through the game. Even if you have knowledge of the item and zone layout, there are still way too many builds that may be fun or a challenge through the PvE encounters that is flat fucked in PvP.

If you use spells as your offense you may as well just jump off a ledge when invaded. Most of the time invaders build for PvP. Even if you dont build for PvP but like using straight swords and strength you will probably destroy anyone who is playing with faith as a primary stat up until the last 30% of the game.

I can see why some people would enjoy it. I can also see why a lot of people would not. I think in DS1/DS2 it wasn't a big deal because the areas in which you could be easily invaded were fewer and the multiplayer was kind of flakey.

As they get better at matchmaking system design. The impact it has on the game increases. So do any balance issues.

• Options
    JediabiwanJediabiwan Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    I actually don't think I've seen any mention of the weird thing in the Iudex-fight. The rest of the game pretends nothing happened.

I'm putting my money on this being explained more in the DLC. It seems like they wanted it to be a big deal and I just can't imagine it not being expanded more from that fight.

• Options
    KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    If you're playing on PC I'd heavily recommend playing offline currently.

The good old softban weapons are back, and someone is streaming themselves constantly invading and getting people banned on PC right now. I expect the shittier parts of the internet will be doing it in every area in every level range within a few days.

He has a dagger that adds souls and changes your stats when he hits you, and will teleport behind you and start swinging the moment he enters your game. You might be able to alt-f4 if you see his name before he gets to you, he currently plays under the name "Malcolm Reynolds".

I doubt From will do anything about it, and the guy who made PVP watchdog for DS1 says he cant do it this time because From will ban anyone who uses it.

• Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    Fuck you Pontiff Sulyvahn

I think I've died like 20 times. Which kinda gets me down, because it seems like when other people talk about hard bosses, they'll say they took 5, maybe 10 tries on a really bad boss. For me, it's more like 30...

Doesn't help that I think my build (str/faith hybrid) is really ill-suited for this game

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Emperor_Z wrote: »

I think I've died like 20 times. Which kinda gets me down, because it seems like when other people talk about hard bosses, they'll say they took 5, maybe 10 tries on a really bad boss. For me, it's more like 30...

Doesn't help that I think my build (str/faith hybrid) is really ill-suited for this game

Str is really really strong. It could just be your weapon or armor selection, some stuff that is in the game that sounds awesome and looks cool is really really bad. Like the Great Scythes... they do crappy damage and their FP ability doesn't actually do anything.

• Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    last boss
    "All right, there goes his last sliver of health. Man, I almost used all my estus--

what

what

there's a second phase?"

And that's when I quit Dark Souls 3.

• Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    Emperor_Z wrote: »

pontiff probably took me 15, nameless king took me 25-30, doing dancer at level 30 was 60+.

my brother also plays and has the same issues with his dex/faith build, none of the late game miracles look particularly appealing and it hurts overall damage too much to hew away from a 40/40 quality build.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Khildith wrote: »
    If you're playing on PC I'd heavily recommend playing offline currently.

The good old softban weapons are back, and someone is streaming themselves constantly invading and getting people banned on PC right now. I expect the shittier parts of the internet will be doing it in every area in every level range within a few days.

He has a dagger that adds souls and changes your stats when he hits you, and will teleport behind you and start swinging the moment he enters your game. You might be able to alt-f4 if you see his name before he gets to you, he currently plays under the name "Malcolm Reynolds".

I doubt From will do anything about it, and the guy who made PVP watchdog for DS1 says he cant do it this time because From will ban anyone who uses it.

Despite the shittiness of the person in question, I blame From for their stupid softban setup that makes this possible.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    I will make the new thread. I will make it right now.

*edit* Embers Are... GO! https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/204774/dark-souls-3-has-some-deep-difficulty

New thread. Post there. Lock plz.