As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark Souls 3] Second and Final DLC OUT NOW!

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    PLA wrote: »
    Oh, does anybody know how late you can bring this to Yuria for the reward?
    Orbeck's ashes.
    Is it fine after all of his stuff is done and you just get them anyway?

The update may have changed this, but:
    You used to have to kill him before the "wedding", so you wouldn't be able to finish his questline.

You can do the last steps of the Londor questline at any time as long you haven't done something to fail the earlier steps. Getting his ashes from the Archives works fine, as does recruiting him after finishing the questline.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqy_LzYEf3g

if you have any trouble with parrying, watch this

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    We sort of have confirmation that the pus of man is abyss corruption related to the fire fading, because the key to the grand archives says something like "The scholars locked down the archives to avoid the spreading pus of man, as the fire faded."

Also, another DS2 connection in DS3:
    Lothric, the only one of the lords of cinder to feel like linking the flame is pointless and doing so still leaves you cursed was tutored by "the first of the scholars" who "doubted the linking of the flame."

That's clearly Aldia.

What I want to know is why did Gwynevere peace out of being queen of Lothric unexpectedly? Maybe running away is just part of who she is?

On that spoiler
    I'm pretty sure she didn't do so willingly. The Queen of Lothric used to visit the Untended Graves, and in fact, she was one of the only ones who did so. Shrine Handmaid in Dark Firelink says that maybe you were captured "Like that girl".

We all know Ludleth did some shit to bring back the First Flame after it went out, since he, you know, tells you this.

I am 100% sure the Queen of Lothric was part of that plan, and is probably the Firekeeper, memory wiped and tied to the false Firelink Shrine and the First Flame.

I took that line about being trapped if you take to long to mean:
    That the firekeeper is trapped in new-firelink until somebody deals with this first flame business.

I don't think I agree that the Queen of Lothric is the firekeeper. I think the divine blessing wording connections pretty much confirm that Gwynevere was the queen of Lothric, and I think her whole goddess of fertility thing just means she goes around joining kingdoms, making babies, then rolling out to the next one.

• Options
    PLA wrote: »
    That makes sense.

Some of the followups to Warcry and Stomp and such are quite different. For Stomp, some are launching uppercut-things, and some are wide, horizontal sweeps.

Rami wrote: »
    We sort of have confirmation that the pus of man is abyss corruption related to the fire fading, because the key to the grand archives says something like "The scholars locked down the archives to avoid the spreading pus of man, as the fire faded."

Lothric, the only one of the lords of cinder to feel like linking the flame is pointless and doing so still leaves you cursed was tutored by "the first of the scholars" who "doubted the linking of the flame."

That's clearly Aldia.

What I want to know is why did Gwynevere peace out of being queen of Lothric unexpectedly? Maybe running away is just part of who she is?

She's a survivor.
    Everyone knows which way the wind is blowing once the age of fire starts to die down. Best to get out of dodge until it's up and running again.
    Where'd Flann go, though?

My opinion is that Gwynevere ran off with Flann, probably made some kids goddess of fertility style, then peaced out and found a new kingdom to do so in, then rinsed and repeated throughout the cycles.

My head canon is that Heide's tower of flame was part of Flann/Gwynevere's domain, but the only connections there are the word flame and the old dragonslayer.

• Options
    Holy moly, Nameless King is not any easier on NG+. I've just dumpstered most of the bosses on my NG+ run, even harder than on NG because I hit so hard, but Nameless King stonewalled me so hard again.

Once I realized that using a thunder stoneplate +1 ring meant I was dying in 3 hits, and switching it for the carthus blood ring for more i-frames but worse absorbs meant I was also dying in 3 hits, I just used that which gave me the margin for error on my dodges that I needed to win.

Also, I'm going to post a video of my shameful NG+ fight with Champion Gundyr because I want to show people how there are so many openings for healing and he doesn't punish mistakes that hard. I say this because it was one of the worst boss fight attempts I've had in the entire game, and I did not deserve to win at all but I still killed him on the first try. If I had video editing skills I'd put it to some comical music to really highlight how terrible I was but still won.

• Options
    Another piece of confirmation about a certain area being from a past time:
    So if you don't talk to the shrine handmaiden in regular firelink until you've spoken to her in UG firelink, when you talk to her in regular she starts her dialogue by saying "Thou'rt. Oh it's nothing Ashen One."

I mean I had no question based on Gundyr item descriptions, Ludleth's new dialogue, etc. that dark firelink was in the past, but this is just more confirmation.

It's my opinion that that version of firelink was in Ludleth's time, and when the betrayal happened to not link the flame, that's when Ludleth decided to become a lord of cinder to do it himself. He has some dialogue that suggests this.

We just happen to travel there via illusory timey-wimeyness and kill Champion Gundyr who had also arrived there only to find it dark with no bell ringing.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Anyone have theories on the relationship between Lautrec and the Leonhard and Irina/Eygon questlines?

Yilias on
    Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Yilias wrote: »
    Anyone have theories on the relationship between Lautrec and the Leonhard and Irina/Eygon questlines?

Not sure on Laurtrec and Leonhard but Eygon reminds me of Velstadt and Garl Vinland. Irina reminds me of Maiden Astrae and Anastacia of Astora.

Edit: Actually relooking at some of Eygon's dialogue he reminds me of Edit 2: Whoops that was the crestfallen's dialogue...eh it was a bit of a stretch anyways.

Karoz on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Man, I am really bad at PvP

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Almost finished the game on my second guy.

Gotta say, I still find Prince Lorian a very, very easy fight. Not sure what people have trouble with here. His attacks are slow and highly telegraphed, and there is a sizeable recovery after each combo, unlike most enemies in this game.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

Keep at it, you'll git gud yet!

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular

Gotta say, I still find Prince Lorian a very, very easy fight. Not sure what people have trouble with here. His attacks are slow and highly telegraphed, and there is a sizeable recovery after each combo, unlike most enemies in this game.

I suspect that people tend to do nameless king and gundyr before they go to finish the game, both of which make princes and the final boss look like pushovers in comparison. never seen anyone complain about the twins, actually.

• Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

I'm thinking that locked on fireballs isn't a winning strategy.

• Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular

the only use I've found for conventional spells as an invader is to lob them into big melees, like a host and phantoms against other invaders from different covenants. the speed of DS3 makes spells seem almost totally worthless, although people said that about DS2 and that view didn't stand the test of time then, either.

• Options

The only thing about princes that's even remotely hard to me is when he teleports right behind me and breaks lock on and I botch the dodge because I guess wrong on what he is doing right after the TP.

For me personally, Nameless King is on his own tier of difficulty, and then the last boss and twin princes are like 2A and 2B, but neither one took me more than 2 or 3 attempts to get the first time.

Also worth noting that these bosses all share one thing: they have 2 health bars. Even the more aggressive bosses like Pontiff or Champion at least only have one health bar to go through, and only one moveset to understand.

Souls boss difficulty is that super subjective thing though. One person can't do Sulyvahn but can do Nameless King easy, the next one is the complete opposite, and so forth.

• Options
    Okay, so have a nice laugh at this NG+ Champ Gundyr fight. This is just to demonstrate for anybody claiming that he punishes mistakes too hard or doesn't give openings to heal that neither of those things is true. I was doing this fight with my almost 3 year old talking to me about how badly she wanted to watch Sofia the First and singing a song about how I should pause the game, so I pretty much fought as poorly as you can.

I didn't parry or block, and just bumbled my way to victory anyway. Oh, and I had my magic stoneplate ring on in place of where I'd usually have steel protection or carthus blood, so it was slightly harder than it needed to be from that too.

Not overlevelled either, this character is SL 120. I've barely even levelled in NG+.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8DOEFo1i04

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular

That's clearly Aldia.

On that spoiler
    I'm pretty sure she didn't do so willingly. The Queen of Lothric used to visit the Untended Graves, and in fact, she was one of the only ones who did so. Shrine Handmaid in Dark Firelink says that maybe you were captured "Like that girl".

We all know Ludleth did some shit to bring back the First Flame after it went out, since he, you know, tells you this.

I am 100% sure the Queen of Lothric was part of that plan, and is probably the Firekeeper, memory wiped and tied to the false Firelink Shrine and the First Flame.

That the firekeeper is trapped in new-firelink until somebody deals with this first flame business.

I don't think I agree that the Queen of Lothric is the firekeeper. I think the divine blessing wording connections pretty much confirm that Gwynevere was the queen of Lothric, and I think her whole goddess of fertility thing just means she goes around joining kingdoms, making babies, then rolling out to the next one.

You see
    I don't think that Gwenevere=The Queen of Lothric=The Firekeeper are all mutually exclusive.

I mean, it's a reach, I admit, but then why specifically put items related to the Queen of Lothric in the Untended Graves?

Why does the Handmaid mentioned being captured "Like that girl"? I mean, sure, it could just reference the Firekeeper.

But Firekeeper this time around, is SUPER sketchy. The constant need to re-enforce that she too, is a Firekeeper. Her being able to use the eyes of a DIFFERENT Firekeeper and even take in another Firekeeper's soul with no ill effects.

The fact that she can drop down a summon sign to be pulled into the Kiln and manipulate the First Flame.

It's just super suspicious is all, and goes way way beyond what we've previously known Firekeeper's to be capable of.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Torgairon wrote: »

the only use I've found for conventional spells as an invader is to lob them into big melees, like a host and phantoms against other invaders from different covenants. the speed of DS3 makes spells seem almost totally worthless, although people said that about DS2 and that view didn't stand the test of time then, either.

Some people on YouTube own bones with pyromancy

Of course, YouTube is mostly a highlight reel

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    No matter how many times I fight them the Evangelists still are a cause for at least a couple Estus before I bring them down.

• Options
    OK that was weird. Invaded as a purple in the woods, as soon as I summon in, it says the host had stated a critical battle, gives me a pile of souls and a Soul of a Crystal Sage, and boots me.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular

That's clearly Aldia.

On that spoiler

You see
    I don't think that Gwenevere=The Queen of Lothric=The Firekeeper are all mutually exclusive.

I mean, it's a reach, I admit, but then why specifically put items related to the Queen of Lothric in the Untended Graves?

Why does the Handmaid mentioned being captured "Like that girl"? I mean, sure, it could just reference the Firekeeper.

But Firekeeper this time around, is SUPER sketchy. The constant need to re-enforce that she too, is a Firekeeper. Her being able to use the eyes of a DIFFERENT Firekeeper and even take in another Firekeeper's soul with no ill effects.

The fact that she can drop down a summon sign to be pulled into the Kiln and manipulate the First Flame.

It's just super suspicious is all, and goes way way beyond what we've previously known Firekeeper's to be capable of.

Firekeeper souls are passed from one to the other, that's just how it works. Firekeepers are kind of their own form of deity, but slaved to the fire.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options

That's clearly Aldia.

On that spoiler

You see

I actually have some weird ideas brewing about the queen of Lothric putting the ash estus ring there and wanting to take care of the untended graves because they're somehow related to her son Lothric not wanting to/not linking the flame when he was supposed to.

I haven't been able to put it all together, but I definitely think there's more to figure out.

I also want to know if there's something to the fact that Ludleth's final item you get off him is the skull ring that references coming from the soul of a soulfeeder, and Ludleth himself is always thirsty for twisted souls. There's more to him that I don't understand yet, and I can't figure out just how nefarious he might be and what he has to do with the firelink that's our hub.

• Options
    Also, I know there was that joke parry video earlier, but here's a real one. I posted here the other day about how someone had found out that parry active frames start when your stamina is consumed from using the parry. Basically, caestus/katana weapon art/target shields are the best, starting on frame 10. Small shields like red and white start on frame 12. Parrying dagger is the same as a kite shield, parry starting on frame 14, so the parrying dagger is basically crap and I'm not sure why.

Farron GS parrying dagger is no exception either. You gain nothing from using it to parry that you don't get from a kite shield, other than you get to use the weapon's L1 attacks to spin and flip. But then you realize you're holding an UGS in 1 hand and doing less damage than a straight sword.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48iDk6VHwsw

The thread it comes from with more detail: https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4h537m/all_parrying_tools_frame_data_tldw_inside/

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Also, I know there was that joke parry video earlier, but here's a real one. I posted here the other day about how someone had found out that parry active frames start when your stamina is consumed from using the parry. Basically, caestus/katana weapon art/target shields are the best, starting on frame 10. Small shields like red and white start on frame 12. Parrying dagger is the same as a kite shield, parry starting on frame 14, so the parrying dagger is basically crap and I'm not sure why.

Farron GS parrying dagger is no exception either. You gain nothing from using it to parry that you don't get from a kite shield, other than you get to use the weapon's L1 attacks to spin and flip. But then you realize you're holding an UGS in 1 hand and doing less damage than a straight sword.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48iDk6VHwsw

The thread it comes from with more detail: https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4h537m/all_parrying_tools_frame_data_tldw_inside/

IMO the best thing about the Faron Greatsword's parry is that you can exploit the fact that you can couple it with a weapon-art shield to get yourself a high stability 100% block shield with a parry dagger tier parry.

And that's it. Hide behind the big shield to block the endless darksword/estoc R1 spam, and then parry amidst after the second hit or so.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Right, but it doesn't actually gain you anything. Because parrying dagger's parry starts on frame 14, same as a kite shield. I mean, you get to block, but you lose out on the only thing that makes that sword unique with the spinoramas, in which case you should just use a better 1 handed weapon.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    I had a pretty terrific fight with an invader in archdragon peak earlier. I actually got invaded 1v1 which was cool, by a purple using his red eye orb. He obviously wasn't interested in anything but a quick kill, because when he got there I was being chased by one of those asshole drakekeepers and he tried to take advantage. I just ran around like an idiot until I lost the drakekeeper and could fight him 1v1.

My default method of fighting invasions is not to use estus if the invader doesn't first, just my preference. But he chugged immediately after I chunked him, so all bets were off. We had probably a 5 minute fight, and I had to use nearly all my estus to win, but I did.

So many great mind games. He was using the farron greatsword, and I was using my profaned. But when it became clear it was going to be hard to land my stuff, I swapped to my irithyll rapier to poke. So since I swapped away from my 2H UGS, he realized he could parry me, so he started trying to prediction parry a running R1 from me, so I'd delay and then get pokes in and not get parried. But he adapted to that and started using the Farron L1 spins when I ran in and getting free damage in on me.

PvP can sometimes be so fun. I still of course prefer duels using soapstones where neither person uses estus, but eh.

• Options
    We know very little about the total size of the parry windows, just starting frames.

Plus you can parry with something like the black knight shield or Wolf Knight's great shield, which has significantly better stability and superior all around defensive stats than a kite shield.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Yeah, but the beginning of the active parry frames is basically the only thing that matters, unless you're parrying insanely early and hoping that the active window will stay open long enough to catch an attack that isn't even coming yet.

I'm not saying your idea is a bad one, and it's at least an interesting quirk of the Farron GS, I just don't think it's that useful. For anybody who is serious about PvP, they'll be using a better weapon and a caestus to parry.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    It's still the farron memesword. Fun to watch, but not very good.

Plus reaction parries aren't the only style of parries. There are predictive parries where you bait out an attack one way or another. The size of the window matters a good deal.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I was so annoyed when I traded for that weapon on my first NG run. I was so ready for it to be full hype mode. But an UGS you can't swing with 2 hands is not worth much, because the damage is a dumpster fire. The spins are cool, but not worth enough to make the weapon work for me.

I'm glad they tried out a lot of new cool things with different weapons in the game though.

Now if you want a beastmode weapon with a great weapon art, check Gundyr's Halberd. The L2->R2 is disgusting and has crazy tracking so it's hard to even dodge it, and the moveset in general is just really good.

If I ever get the itch to be a truly monstrous being, I'm going to sequence break dancer->oceiros->gundyr and then start invading high wall NG with the gundyr halberd. I'm confident I could beat 1v3s consistently with that thing against people with starting weapons.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    In all this time, I have only earned 5 vertebra...

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    As far as the hacker(s) are concerned, I'd say more blame From for leaving those effects in the code even 'unavailable', because this is exactly what started happening in DkS1 as I recall. Developer effects that hackers found and started exploiting in the game.

• Options
    Yeah, no. I'm no good at this, and trying to jump into the PvP scene at near level 100 as a pure caster with no prior experience is just an exercise in futility.

I guess I will not be collecting that last pyromancy. *sigh*

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Could always find a good long podcast to listen to, boost up your item discovery as high as you can, and grind out killing the red eyed skellingtons in the catacombs.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Yeah, no. I'm no good at this, and trying to jump into the PvP scene at near level 100 as a pure caster with no prior experience is just an exercise in futility.

Gank squad and summon purples!

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited May 2016

You're not missing much right now.

The pvp is pretty much strictly inferior to DS2's right now. They need to do some substantial changes before that gets fixed. Namely:

*POISE
    *Making straightswords less dominant (one way would be widening the AR gap between straightswords and greatsword/UGS, but almost every non-straightsword/piercing sword weapon class needs some loving)
    *POISE
    *Making healing more punishable (DS2 had estus in a good place. It was a fast heal, but you still needed to fight yourself some breathing room. In DS3, you're pretty much guaranteed to heal unless the opponent is already in mid-swing. 80% chance you'll heal and finish the animation in time to dodge their attempt to punish. Buffing lloyd's talismans may be a way to help on this front without having severe negative consequence in PvE. Buffing the duration/area of effect/throw speed/inventory capacity would all be welcome)
    *POISE
    *Make rolling more punishable (we shouldn't have more i-frames than normal frames when roll spamming. Right now you're pretty much invulnerable for as long as you mash the dodge button as long as your stamina holds out...and then you only need to wait until you've regened 1 stamina before you can start rolling again. It gets worse if you have the blood ring)

and did I mention poise?

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    TheStig wrote: »

Can't. No where left in the game I can summon.

*edit* also, lag is terrible. Tired of getting hit by weapons that are no where near me.

Houn on
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    In all this time, I have only earned 5 vertebra...

Invade in anor londo. It's a dangerous enough area you'll get them quick

• Options
    TheStig wrote: »

Can't. No where left in the game I can summon.

*edit* also, lag is terrible. Tired of getting hit by weapons that are no where near me.

It is pretty dumb.

An old trick is to dodge with your i-frames, and not to dodge out of the enemy attack's hurtbox.

Whether or not you get hit depends on their client. But when your client gets hit, it has an opportunity to go "ok ya hit me, but I had i-frames up, so I'm SAFE."

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Also this dark sword outdamaging greatswords thing is getting pretty dumb.

3DS Friend Code: