As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nioh: Onimusouls Action Available on Feb 7!

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Killed Nue!

• TravanTravan Registered User regular
    So you get extra elixirs for offering up your gear to a shrine, which is neat

Walking in with 10 elixirs sure trivialized that first boss though

Gamertag- Travan7838

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Hmm. This is a pretty hard game.

It's not bad but it's not there yet. Durability should probably be dropped altogether and the controls to change stance aren't as fluid as they need to be.

I briefly had somebody invade or something but he just charged into the sea

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I couldn't even make it off the beach. :(
    This feels a lot harder than even the hardest bits of Dark Souls.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    I couldn't even make it off the beach. :(
    This feels a lot harder than even the hardest bits of Dark Souls.

Yeah, one of the hardest things to get used to as you progress through the demo is that you almost never have the ability to directly engage with multiple enemies. Instead you really need to manage stones, shurikens, and arrows to draw out or eliminate individual opponents without alerting others. In that sense, there's something of a Tenchu pedigree to the game.

And properly using ki-pulse to assist with stamina-management is integral, as you are generally going to die if you become exhausted in combat.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    General mooks are pretty easy to kill, most of them don't block or have a means to parry your aggressive attacks. In that sense, the game is actually easy. It does become harder when they start throwing two or three guys at you, and unbeknownst to you, they alert another guy or two hiding inside the house or behind some pottery and you're ganked hard.

The player revenants you can summon from bloody fires are much more difficult. They make active use of dodging and can block or parry your slower combos (such as those from axes/hammers). A katana is a really good weapon to start with because the basic mid-stance weak combo can hit in it's entirety, but because they're still AI controlled, they're susceptible to long-distance pokes, like using the triangle attack from mid-stance. You won't get to combo off it, but it does enough damage to begin with that you can use it to beat the lowest level revenants by being patient. Finding some equipment that's better than the mariner's stuff to begin with will also help a lot.

I'd actually advise that you not try to summon revenants right at the start except to get better at your pokes and maybe practice some parries or get used to hitting R1 after finishing a combo so you ki pulse recharge. Ki pulsing is very, very useful, and it cannot be overstated.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Damn, now I need to work harder to beat the boss on the ship. It's an extremely challenging fight, but I can see being able to do it. The phantoms used to give me problems and now I eat most of them for breakfast.

Spear-users can die in a fire, though. For real.

When in doubt, throw sloth talismans at everything. It's considerably easier to kill things that are moving at half speed. Once I started sticking them on scary looking things I stopped dying to them. Ball and chain guy hit me one cuz I mistimed my ki burst.

Is there anything extra for beating the Nue at the end of the demo, such as another free thing for DLC when the game launches?

Is there anything extra for beating the Nue at the end of the demo, such as another free thing for DLC when the game launches?

Nope

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Yeah. I read something about clearing the demo giving a little bonus to the full game at the start.

Don't expect dlc, but a few souls levels or a fancy hat or the like

Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Yeah. I read something about clearing the demo giving a little bonus to the full game at the start.

You get that for beating the first boss, there's nothing for the second but the satisfaction of a job well done.

edited May 2016
    I've come to the conclusion that this game has quite a bit of mechanical depth to take advantage of, but it's really hard to do so, so just heavy armor/high stance everything. It'll be interesting to see what crazy shenanigans you can get up to properly stance dancing, but I sure as hell won't be doing anything like that.

Holy shit, dodging in low stance counts as a ki burst. Shit is bananas.

Etiowsa on
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

You get that for beating the first boss, there's nothing for the second but the satisfaction of a job well done.

Oh, that's a shame

Considering the Alpha status of the game, I'm very impressed. I'm hoping the pacing for the combat actually goes a bit faster. Buying skill points for a combo finisher that automatically flows into a low/med/high stance from a different one would be nice. I'm sure it's already in the works, since we only got about 50% of the available skills shown. Very curious to see what other weapon and skill types come with the final build. I'm heavily leaning towards picking this up. The demo did a great job of showcasing the game.

Something I hope that's in the final build but couldn't be done in this demo is use to the "Skill Customization" interface to have different endings for various attack sequences. The interface made it seem like doing so was possible, but any time you chose a different ending for a given sequence it would change all of the endings.

Also, it took me long time to discover that there were various "cinematic kills" that could be done using triangle in different circumstances. I guess that's what they mean by "grapple", but uh... not sure that's an appropriate word to describe what happens.

I had another quick play of this. It seems that rather than trying to string together multi stance combos you should just go with high and tap after combo. The game then becomes much easier.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Boy that boss on the boat was a dick.

Fun game though, curious just how much variation there will be in terms of armor. It was obvious that the big hammers shared the same moveset of the axes, so makes me wonder if there will be other types of swords/spears.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    There are two types of swords in the demo, but the difference is more subtle. Look at the icon, one is a straight sword, and the other is more curved.

• Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    Finally beat Nue! That was a really fun boss fight. The boss fight on the boat didn't do much for me.

Is there anyway to level up your guardian spirits in the current build? I know you can invest in the spirit stat to strengthen your bond, but does that eventually level up the spirit?

Rex Dart wrote: »
    Finally beat Nue! That was a really fun boss fight. The boss fight on the boat didn't do much for me.

Is there anyway to level up your guardian spirits in the current build? I know you can invest in the spirit stat to strengthen your bond, but does that eventually level up the spirit?

Agreed about the boss fights, Nue is definitely fun and interesting to battle and was decently challenging.

As to guardian spirits, three of them have passive abilities that are only granted at certain Spirit thresholds. For instance the Water Spirit gives you HP recovery during close-combat at 12 Spirit.

• TravanTravan Registered User regular
    Spears + A rank agility is so much fun

I was lamenting the boring move set for spears in dark souls just in time for this game to fucking nail it

Gamertag- Travan7838

edited May 2016
    I really did warm up to spears too. Very defensive, but you can be incredibly offensive too. Never got old launching a spin kick off of the spear and draining their stamina. Also the interaction with stats and weapons are... odd.

Like STR and Skill don't actually affect Katana/Spears all that much, Heart increases Katana damage for instance.

Arthil on
    Arthil wrote: »
    I really did warm up to spears too. Very defensive, but you can be incredibly offensive too. Never got old launching a spin kick off of the spear and draining their stamina. Also the interaction with stats and weapons are... odd.

Like STR and Skill don't actually affect Katana/Spears all that much, Heart increases Katana damage for instance.

Well, strength and skill are secondary stats for katanas and spears. They tend to be required for armor as well, just to make sure you don't neglect them too much.

Arthil wrote: »

Strength is definitely more for Heavy Armor/Warhammers, but there definitely seemed to be a wide range of scaling properties represented amongst the various archetypes within a weapon class.

• Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Other than the durability and the way loot is organized I'm enjoying this.

Be interesting to see what feedback they take and how they adapt it but for an alpha it's pretty solid.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular

So Last night when i got home, I downloaded Nioh. I've had a PS4 since the system was released but for some reason that stupid touchpad click button in the dead center of the controller never occurs to me at first in a game that it is in fact a button. So i spent a good few minutes trying to figure out how to equip a weapon. Once i got that worked out, it took me about 5 minutes to say "From Software will have a lawsuit on these people already if they have even one lawyer at their company". It's got most of the DS feel to it but it also has this odd hard to explain feel to it....like the menus and interfaces were almost dumbed down for a more general audience compared to DS where you have to figure most of it out on your own. The Stamina thing where if you try and roll but dont have the stamina for it so you instead stand there panting was very difficult to get use to after playing DS3 and I died.... erh..."Left the Mortal Coil" many times. I evenutally got the hang of it. Unlike Dark Souls they have limited the weapon types to sword, spear, axe, magic so its not going to have quite the variety as DS..but I didnt really care cause I liked beheading people and monsters with my axe.

As i unlocked some shortcuts, I also found the cute little imps that let you boost your drop rates...these being so adorable kinda break the 'bleak' atmosphere of the game in a way that isnt something you would see in a DS game. They need to change these to keep the frolicing happy play but make them look less like cute mushrooms and more like something disgusting and horrid !!!

I didnt quite like the bow like i do in DS...sure i like the aiming reticle but i wish i could draw and hold so I dont have to lead the arrow so much.

The little sake cups you use to summon visitors seem a bit too rare. I trying summoning 3 times with the 3 i start with, got one visitor who ran into an oni and died, the other two nobody showed up and i never got the cups back..I found you can farm them by killing the blood spot guys, and maybe thats okay but I hope there is an alternate means, like getting a red eye orb thats permanent or they should always drop one from each red phantom killed.

I made it to the boss, and literally banged my head against him for a good 90 minutes until i finally got him down and won the free DLC. Then it was time for bed.

I'll definately play it when its released...if its not blocked by a lawsuit.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    Is access to the DLC blocked today (5th) or tomorrow (6th)?

Pretty sure I disagree with everything azith said and I'm laughing my ass off as the suggestion of a lawsuit.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I got to play a bit of the demo finally, before the timer ran down and it kicked me off. It's definitely a lot more punishing than Souls. You take a ton of damage and do very little. It seems to take the whole 'block/dodge, attack, disengage, recover, reengage' cycle much more seriously. If you get hit there's a good chance you'll just eat a full combo and die.

I didn't have time to just stop and grind for souls, but that seemed like it would have helped a lot. Same for grinding for loot. Although the super fast speed that stuff degraded also put a hamper on the idea of collecting good gear.

Definitely interested, but I'd probably have to play another demo closer to launch to consider buying it. If it launched like this it'd be at the 'maybe on sale a year later' level.

uyvfOQy.png
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    So good news everyone! apparently these were the fruits of the data they collected from the demo

http://teamninja-studio.com/nioh/us/demo.html

• Adjust balance mainly in the opening sections to make battles fairer.
    • Improve player & camera behavior during lock-on.
    • Change the conditions under which the player character becomes unresponsive when the Ki Gauge is empty.
    • Adjust attack and defense parameters of enemies.
    • Revise enemy pursuit of the player.
    • Revise superarmor (stagger/no stagger) for each enemy and attack.
    • Adjust Revenant AI.
    • Add hints to guide players to boss areas.
    • Remove durability stat for weapons and armor.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    A big "hmmm" in the direction of "removing durability"

Seems like a sweeping change, but it remains to be seen.

I didn't even know there was a survey to fill out. Interesting to see the differences between the regional responses.

Which action(s) required a "half-circle analog stick input"?

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Fuck durability. It has never made a game more interesting or fun in the history of video games.

Early on the durability was a pain in the ass, but by the time you managed to get the key to move past the first area, you'd be rolling in excess powerful gear and have a few whetstones and glues that it was no problem to use one up and keep progressing.

I mean, that's not a point in favor of leaving it, since it just becomes an arbitrary mechanic when you're so loaded with repair items, but I guess I wouldn't have cared one way or the other if they left it in. Taking it out entirely makes the game a little more accessible to newcomers, so I guess it's a net gain.

It was conceptually interesting that the giant oni with two iron balls could break your gear with ease, but as Fantastico and reVerse say, there's never really been an application of durability that wasn't either a time-wasting menu task or just some pain-in-the-ass role-playing element intended to provide a greater sense of "realism" — something that really doesn't seem pertinent to the Nioh.

Yeah I guess I've never cared for durability in any game. I wonder if its removal will have a knock on effect for other systems though. Not sure why it would, but I'm curious.

metaghost wrote: »
    I didn't even know there was a survey to fill out. Interesting to see the differences between the regional responses.

Which action(s) required a "half-circle analog stick input"?

The spear had a few special moves that used that input, but I never managed to get them to work. There was also a katana move that required you to dodge into enemies mid combo that had really weird timing, I could barely get it to activate.

Wow they listened and got rid of durability.

Hurray!

E3 2016 trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQpGYsvHR78

Apparently we'll be getting a beta demo in August, something I find really nice considering how responsive to feedback they apparently are.

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Beta is going to be running from Aug 23 - Sept 6 and is going to include a new dojo stage that teaches the game's basics

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."