As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect - 8 days until you already know what happens from the spoilers you read

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'll probably go through like this

sentinel, vanguard, adept, engineer, infiltrator, and then soldier

then funeral

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    I'll probably go through like this

sentinel, vanguard, adept, engineer, infiltrator, and then soldier

then funeral

yeah basically

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    untitled-50.png

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    At the risk of sounding like Goomba:

YOU SHUT THE FUCK UP SHOE!

Greeper on
  • JimJimBinksJimJimBinks Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    untitled-50.png

That's almost worth turning into an avatar.

Since Newegg is listing the game as in-stock I just ordered it with express shipping and rush processing. I hope it goes out before they catch it but I doubt it.

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
  • MisterGrokMisterGrok Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    untitled-50.png
    HIGH FIVE!!!!!!!

MisterGrok on
    GamerTag: aintnodancer
  • SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    No K-Mart on the west coast seems to have it.
    I shall spawn camp starting tuesday. If it shows up in CA, I'll let you lemmings know.

Smashism on
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Smashism wrote: »
    No K-Mart on the west coast seems to have it.
    I shall spawn camp starting tuesday. If it shows up in CA, I'll let you lemmings know.

By then, I'm sure that every retailer will know they shouldn't be selling it.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Every time something like this happens I always hope the publisher will just say "Fuck it!" and give the okay for retailers all over the place to sell it as soon as they get it in.

I spend a lot of my life being disappointed.

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
  • Nite-ManNite-Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    sexyhighfive

Since Newegg is listing the game as in-stock I just ordered it with express shipping and rush processing. I hope it goes out before they catch it but I doubt it.

I just did the same and got a second email saying that my order has successfully charged.

Nite-Man on
    The first significant thing living here taught me is conformity costs money, and everybody pays.
    edited November 2007
    Nite-Man wrote: »
    sexyhighfive

I just did the same and got a second email saying that my order has successfully charged.

Yep. I got that Email. The problem is, I don't think they ship things on Saturday. And by Monday I'm sure they will have caught it.
    With Mario Galaxy & Assassin's Creed coming out this week I won't be too broken up if I don't get it 'till the week after.

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
  • Nite-ManNite-Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    sexyhighfive

Yep. I got that Email. The problem is, I don't think they ship things on Saturday. And by Monday I'm sure they will have caught it.
    With Mario Galaxy & Assassin's Creed coming out this week I won't be too broken up if I don't get it 'till the week after.

Or maybe we'll get the game early and you won't try to kill anymore of my dreams.

Nite-Man on
    The first significant thing living here taught me is conformity costs money, and everybody pays.
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Is it really that big a deal anyway? It's barely more than a week until us normal unspecial people get it.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    sexyhighfive

Or maybe we'll get the game early and you won't try to kill anymore of my dreams.

I went ahead and ordered it without even rush shipping or processing. I won't be too broken up if they don't ship it early since I'll have Mario Galaxy and CoD4 to keep me busy. It would definately be a nice bonus if they did, though.

Food on
  • NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Jesus. I was avoiding pretty much all press on this game because I did not want to spoil myself. I figured 'hey, Bioware made this, it's going to be awesome, right?'

Then I watched the videos in the OP. D:

It's going to be the best game ever and everything else will look like crap by comparison

Roll on November 23!

Noray on
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Noray wrote: »
    It's going to be the best game ever and everything else will look like crap by comparison
    Correction: It already is the best game ever!

Thanks to Tw4win's advice, I also have an early copy. Aside from the character faces being more limited than I expected, everything about the game exceeds my expectations.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • NooblerNoobler Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Fair warning about newegg, before anyone else orders from them

ME appeared as "In Stock" on the 6th, and myself and a handful of others at shacknews took the gamble and ordered it. Our cards were charged in minutes, which gave us some hope. But then the game hit "Out of Stock" status on the 7th. They replied to email inquiries the same day, saying that it should have been shipped. They said that tracking numbers were unavailable due to a website error, but they'd retrieve them from the appropriate people.

The game returned to "In Stock" status on the 8th, and none of us had yet received their phantom tracking number.

Finally, a couple people got word on friday morning that it wasn't shipping until the 20th, and that they'd be gifted $25 certificates due to the mixup. Some of us haven't received any such email (myself included), and my request to simply cancel the order is currently unanswered.

TLDR: Don't order from newegg if you're hoping for an early copy. :[

Noobler on
  • Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've played through the first section of the game as both a Soldier and as a Vanguard and I found that playing through as a soldier was much easier than as a Vanguard. Anyone else feel this way?

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Tw4win wrote: »
    I've played through the first section of the game as both a Soldier and as a Vanguard and I found that playing through as a soldier was much easier than as a Vanguard. Anyone else feel this way?

I don't think you need to spoiler that, really. I'm playing as a Soldier, and I haven't tried any of the other classes. I've run into trouble several times, and some places I had to skip so I could go level up before coming back. Or, it just takes some luck and some skill.

Definitely make use of all your weapons. Before, I was just sticking to one type of weapon for everyone, the assault rifle, and in close quarters combat where I was out numbered I would get "raped" a number of times. I switched to the shotgun, and made use of certain skills, and I mopped the floor with them.

The game's combat definitely requires some skill, precision, and a bit of thought. While you can get lucky, planning which weapons you'll use and when and what skills to use really makes a difference instead of just charging in guns or biotics blazing.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited November 2007
    someone should play as a sentinel and tell me how it is.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    maybe I'm missing something, but why exactly should I be looking forward to this game?

ghost_master2000 on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Did you read the OP

alternatively: have you ever played a Bioware game before?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    maybe I'm missing something, but why exactly should I be looking forward to this game?

Apparently you are missing quite a bit

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
    edited November 2007
    yeah I read the OP, every single word, and watched the videos, and all I've really seen is a tactical shooter with "dark energy" powers.

as for playing a bioware game... not sure I don't really keep track of who makes the games, just whether I like them or not.

ghost_master2000 on
    edited November 2007
    yeah I read the OP, every single word, and watched the videos, and all I've really seen is a tactical shooter with "dark energy" powers.

as for playing a bioware game... not sure I don't really keep track of who makes the games, just whether I like them or not.

if you don't like RPGs then you will not like this game.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Oh you are one of those people

only going to say it one more time

ITS. A. ROLE. PLAYING. GAME

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
    edited November 2007
    If you think it's a shooter than yes you are missing quite a bit

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Did you read the OP

alternatively: have you ever played a Bioware game before?

Alternative alternative: Do your friends generally regard you as relatively normal human being, with hopes, dreams and desires, or as a soulless shell, devoid of any emotion or empathy, ticking through life on an inevitable downward spiral, that not even death can end, as you died inside long ago?

If the latter, move along, nothing to see here.

Houn on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Basically, Kobeblackcat gets bragging rights as the first owner of Mass Effect and the future trivia question of "Where was Mass Effect first purchased in the US, goes to Springfeld Virginia.

Interestingly enough I picked up my copy from the Springfield K-Mart...in Illinois.

It has been a great game so far but I figured I'd list complaints just so everyone knows what they are getting into. Also, because there are simply too many things to praise about it.

Frame rate is a bit shaky. It only becomes really bothersome in big fights but I certainly notice FPS issues in other areas as well.

Pop-in, just like Halo 2. This really breaks some of the immersion when it happens during conversations. :(

That is it, my only real complaints. I do know lots of people are going to bitch about the overwhelming volume of dialogue and non-combat quests, especially early on. Granted you can ignore the back story fairly easily but there is still a ton of stuff. I really do feel overwhelmed reading the entire back story and doing all of the missions I can find. Honest to god the first 4 hours was about 10% combat for me. There were a few times where I just wanted to shoot some bad guys but had to slog through so much else to get there. It doesn't seem like this will be a problem if you just follow the main storyline, though. Plus everything is so well done that I can't help but explore all of it. Such an incredibly rich universe. It does feel like the first great interactive novel and I am loving it. Barring any unforeseen issues it will easily go down as my favorite SP game of all time.

Accualt on
    edited November 2007
    hmmm, well I've never really played a "shooter" rpg, only fantasy rpg, so maybe that's what's throwing off my excitement meter.

I'll probably rent it to check it out, but so far I didn't really see any differences int eh videos between teh "classes"

ghost_master2000 on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So that trailer was so awesome.

I'd go watch that movie.

devoir on
    edited November 2007
    Accault why is your post in black

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It was for me, now it's not. Magics.

devoir on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    A_ccualt wrote: »
    Basically, Kobeblackcat gets bragging rights as the first owner of Mass Effect and the future trivia question of "Where was Mass Effect first purchased in the US, goes to Springfeld Virginia.

Interestingly enough I picked up my copy from the Springfield K-Mart...in Illinois.

It has been a great game so far but I figured I'd list complaints just so everyone knows what they are getting into. Also, because there are simply too many things to praise about it.

Frame rate is a bit shaky. It only becomes really bothersome in big fights but I certainly notice FPS issues in other areas as well.

Pop-in, just like Halo 2. This really breaks some of the immersion when it happens during conversations. :(

That is it, my only real complaints. I do know lots of people are going to bitch about the overwhelming volume of dialogue and non-combat quests, especially early on. Granted you can ignore the back story fairly easily but there is still a ton of stuff. I really do feel overwhelmed reading the entire back story and doing all of the missions I can find. Honest to god the first 4 hours was about 10% coWait mbat for me. There were a few times where I just wanted to shoot some bad guys but had to slog through so much else to get there. It doesn't seem like this will be a problem if you just follow the main storyline, though. Plus everything is so well done that I can't help but explore all of it. Such an incredibly rich universe. It does feel like the first great interactive novel and I am loving it. Barring any unforeseen issues it will easily go down as my favorite SP game of all time.

Wait, some of you have it already?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited November 2007
    Dont think you can just ninja edit that shit Accault

I saw it

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2007
    Drez obviously hasn't read the last 4 pages