As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW]: The portal's always greener on the fel side.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    we know that draenor was 'built' with flight in mind because even though flying mounts were disabled, there were several flight-adjacent mechanics that obviously need that environment to be able to work (ex: aviana's feather.) I'm not sure what part of those two statements constitutes a 'lie' anyway.

I read several forums that discuss this game, and on all of them there's folks who seem to want to bend over backwards to come up with a way to claim that blizzard are deliberately misleading them. If they were trying to mislead you to cover up the fact that they're just incompetent, why would 'we don't know when we're gonna implement flight' be the line they went with? If their plan was to use flight as a way to tide people over until legion they'd have held it to release now, not gone live with it while HFC was still in full swing.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I still think that MoP had the best implementation and combination of both flight and non-flight.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    So I'm rollin' through Mists of Pandaria when I get a quest to go see Jaina Proudmoore. I catch up to her and half her hair has turned white and she's bitter as fuck.

I'm assuming something happened here, but I must've missed a big chunk of storyline. Anyone know where the quest line that leads up to ...whatever it is... that happened with Jaine is supposed to have started?

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    So I'm rollin' through Mists of Pandaria when I get a quest to go see Jaina Proudmoore. I catch up to her and half her hair has turned white and she's bitter as fuck.

I'm assuming something happened here, but I must've missed a big chunk of storyline. Anyone know where the quest line that leads up to ...whatever it is... that happened with Jaine is supposed to have started?

It was the destruction of Theramore scenario, which I'm not sure is in the game anymore.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Hellscream blows up Theramore. Mana bomb. Lots of purple. Big mess.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

It was the destruction of Theramore scenario, which I'm not sure is in the game anymore.

It is, or at least it was when I last played the game last year. If you're above level 90 you can queue up somewhere in Pandaria...that same shrine where you can turn in archaeology stuff.

• Options
    ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

As mentioned there is a scenario that you can run. From a pure questing/lore perspective, I think there is a quest line that leads to it naturally in Theramore/Dustwallow Marsh as you're leveling (35-40 I think).

More importantly, if you go to Theramore before finishing the quest and scenario, everything is fine. Once you finish the scenario the place will be a crater. There is an NPC from the Bronze dragonflight that can "reverse" the damage after that, but I hate that mechanic as lore wise it is still a useless crater. I hope they rebuild it, it makes no sense that the Alliance would just leave it in that state - it's arguably the most important port for the faction.

ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Given the nature of the damage I'm not sure rebuilding it is viable.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2016

7UnM7kZ.png
    6vCwpEq.pngrjmFaKs.pngPr9Gv6k.png
    lKyfnRy.pngBxlOa9P.pngZOsHRIH.png
    rOjQOYS.pngfinI0ET.pngXxabLit.png
    XN03SOD.png
    kdeF0hh.png
    Source

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Somehow I can completely see Jaina cackling maniacly as she pins people to walls with shards of ice.

• Options
    So you can't see the events leading up to Mists of Pandaria... until you've outleveled Pandaria?

Boooooooooooo....

• Options
    So you can't see the events leading up to Mists of Pandaria... until you've outleveled Pandaria?

Boooooooooooo....

You might have access to the Thereamore scenario in the dungeon finder if you're in Pandaria content right now.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Did WoD really gain anything from flying though? People even earlier in the thread have said that getting flying wasn't "content". Well, there is nothing in WoD that you need flying for. Pretty much all there is in wod is pvp and raiding, and in both cases you can't use a flying mount. There is basically nothing you can do with a flying mount that you couldnt do on a ground mount. alt tabbed while waiting for one of the 4 tanaan bosses to spawn is just as easily done on a ground mount, and a bunch of classes and races have access to stealth anyway. Getting up the elite area to get to kazzak doesnt matter, tons of people just sit in their garrison and wait for a summon.

Had they just never given flying in WoD, it wouldn't even be an issue for Legion. But people are mad about losing it for a little bit again. They should reimplement it like flying on the isle of thunder though, make it a server progression type of thing. Whatever personal achievement they are going to tie it to is going to most likely be a terrible rep grind or mindless amount of dailies to collect some arbitrary amount of tokens. The only reason I prefer an achievement to gold is that it is account wide and I dont have to spend all of my leveling gold to buy it for 8+ characters.

When people said turning flying on didn't account for content, what they mean is that just turning flying on without adding any more things to do does not fix the massive content void problem we are having right now. It was too little and too late.

I personally really like being able to fly in wod. I finally leveled a couple of alts through the 90-100 content, and I used flying extensively in tanaan on the monk alt that I geared up and played. I also love having it when I'm doing mythic dungeons because you have to actually go to the entrances. I guarantee you that the people I run dungeons with would only do half of the ones we run if we didn't have flying.

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

Boooooooooooo....

You might have access to the Thereamore scenario in the dungeon finder if you're in Pandaria content right now.

Honestly, you're not missing much in the game. The scenario was put in as an expansion lead-in event and all you see on the Alliance side is the big crater with a bunch of orcs roaming around and Jaina raging in the middle of a magically irradiated hole. There are no quests in Theramore that hint to what will happen because the zone was almost completely unchanged since BC (except for adding the highway) and they told the whole story of the event in a lackluster book.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Hiding lore away in books is the biggest crock of fucking shit.

The WoW books should have supplemental lore in them only, not primary events.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Well, reading about it on wowwiki, it says that after the event Jaina went from place to place trying to get allies to attack Orgrimmar.

Failing that, she attacked the place herself and nearly flooded it before Kalecgos stopped her.

I kind of assumed that was part of the quest line and involved cutscenes. But I guess it was just in one of the novels?

They do hide a lot of lore in the books though. If I hadn't read Day of the Dragon and the Sundering trilogy, I'd have no idea who Krasus, Vereesa, and Rhonin are supposed to be.

RT800 on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Well, reading about it on wowwiki, it says that after the event Jaina went from place to place trying to get allies to attack Orgrimmar.

Failing that, she attacked the place herself and nearly flooded it before Kalecgos stopped her.

I kind of assumed that was part of the quest line and involved cutscenes. But I guess it was just in one of the novels?

They do hide a lot of lore in the books though. If I hadn't read Day of the Dragon and the Sundering trilogy, I'd have no idea who Krasus, Vereesa, and Rhonin are supposed to be.

Yeah all that wiki stuff was in a book.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Rhonin and his merry band of Sues are from one of Knaak's most influential (and shitty) trilogies.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    My only to exposure to Rhonin was this, every time I entered Dalaran, just before WoD came out:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoKiTsWGyCU

It died down a little eventually. Especially when they reduced the radius at which you could hear him. I probably should have gotten the addon that shuts him up.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Without touching the video I know that is the "You killed Alganon" speech....and yup. I like it, but it can get grating after a while.

Do bosses still have unskippable speeches? Man, those were annoying.

Going trough the Blood Elf starting area because why the hell not. It aged well in my opinion. Sure, there's no phasing, and NPC events are less elaborate, but you don't feel that the zone needs them, and is still fairly streamlined. Having fun with it, though maybe is the nostagia talking. Can see why Blizzard is in no hurry to change it, while it advances the story, is not a large enough improvement to justify the costs.

• Options
    I like the blood elf starting zone, and ghostlands is good too. The only quest that is kind of annoying is the one where you have to get fireworks and the alcohol in silvermoon. If you didn't go pick that up before doing the fly to silvermoon quest, then it's a lot of flying back and forth. But really that is the only quest I can think of that can mess up the flow. But it really isn't that bad. I hate the Tauren starting area. It's just a lot of running around and the last time I did it I ended up running out of quests and hopping over some new giant gate into high level barrens and not realizing it wasn't a lvl 13ish area anymore. I'm pretty sure I actually ended up just deleting that character.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Hah!, what a coincidence. Before going through the Blood Elf starting zone, did the Tauren one, and while I was doing the Blood Elf one, was thinking "this has LESS running around".

Also did the Pandaren one. Is very pretty, though that had to be one of the most ankward balloon trips ever.

• Options
    I liked both the Blood Elf and Draenei starting areas introduced in Burning Crusade. The Draenei zones had a particular otherworldly vibe to them, partially because of the music. Both zones were the last "new" starting zones that I've played through unless you count the Death Knight area. Never did finish the Worgen area, and I never got past creating a Goblin and Pandaren character.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Without touching the video I know that is the "You killed Alganon" speech....and yup. I like it, but it can get grating after a while.

Do bosses still have unskippable speeches? Man, those were annoying.

Going trough the Blood Elf starting area because why the hell not. It aged well in my opinion. Sure, there's no phasing, and NPC events are less elaborate, but you don't feel that the zone needs them, and is still fairly streamlined. Having fun with it, though maybe is the nostagia talking. Can see why Blizzard is in no hurry to change it, while it advances the story, is not a large enough improvement to justify the costs.

FIX YOUR EYES UPON YOUR CRUDE HANDS: THE SINEW, THE SOFT MEAT, THE DARK BLOOD COURSING WITHIN

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Yogg Saron's intro speech for P2 hasn't gotten old yet though. Man that shit was creepy the first time.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I liked both the Blood Elf and Draenei starting areas introduced in Burning Crusade. The Draenei zones had a particular otherworldly vibe to them, partially because of the music. Both zones were the last "new" starting zones that I've played through unless you count the Death Knight area. Never did finish the Worgen area, and I never got past creating a Goblin and Pandaren character.

The worgen starting area is actually pretty interesting, though it feels like it takes a while to get through. I've actually never done the goblin area, partially because I just don't like how they look or their racials. I think I have some kind of issue where if I just never go to azshara and see what they did to it, then old azshara hasn't been destroyed. I spent an insane amount of time in azshara in vanilla farming satyrs for felcloth, runecloth, and pots. Countless huge battles for azurgoes were a result of me being the only person on alliance in the zone and reporting to all the big guilds that he was up. Of course there was the hydraxian waterlord/aqual quintessence place i'd park my warlock and a couple of other peoples alts for raid night. Azshara always just felt like MY zone since it was usually so empty. I can't bring myself to see dirty goblins all over it.

• Options
    Yeah old Azshara always seemed like the prettiest zone in the game to me, though I doubt it would have aged well. Doesn't help I have no love for the goblin aesthetic.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Yogg Saron's intro speech for P2 hasn't gotten old yet though. Man that shit was creepy the first time.

i really wish they had kept his voice oscillating between sara and yogg, that's an effect i see a lot of games try to do and wind up doing poorly, but they really nailed it in that one moment in the game

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I'd have no idea who Krasus, Vereesa, and Rhonin are supposed to be.

Still don't know! :rotate:

I think Alexstrasza is the only dragon I know the name of, who wasn't a raid boss at some point. Oh, and Nozdormu...I guess?

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Not even Chromie?

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    There are no non-raid characters.

All the characters are just raid bosses waiting to happen.

RT800 on
  • Options

i really wish they had kept his voice oscillating between sara and yogg, that's an effect i see a lot of games try to do and wind up doing poorly, but they really nailed it in that one moment in the game

Its really hard to overstate how well Ulduar was executed from start to finish.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Them not using the mechanic of activating "hard mode" by doing something with the boss ever again after Uldaur is still a terrible decision. It was an awesome mechanic.

• Options
    BaalorBaalor Registered User regular
    Having that on every boss would be overkill. Half the activation mechanics in Ulduar weren't even very good.
    But it would be great thing to pop up from time to time on suitable bosses. Like they did with Sartharion and Protectors of the Endless

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular

I remember one Brewfest I went and created a Goblin Mage named something like "Hoocanspell" but I don't remember if I even finished the starter zone with that character.

That reminds me, I'm still kind of disappointed that Cata's final raid was just an altered version of Wyrmrest Temple (that's accessed from the Caverns of Time--which really confused a guildmate of mine that thought Deathwing was still alive in the present because they thought we were killing him in the future or something) instead of having a big volcanic lair on the island of Kezan like was rumored early in the expansion. People were so sure we'd be going back there (and that Gilneas would be used for something).

Though I think I remember hearing that Stonecore in Deepholm was actually where they originally planned to have the final raid take place, but ended up converting it into a mid-level dungeon when plans changed for some reason.

• Options
    It was a far better way of handling difficulty than the cluster we have now. Four difficulties just seems to stretch things way too thin.

• Options
    There's little functional difference between hitting the button on the mimiron fight and just swapping to hard in later raids, but the former just feels better. Makes the whole experience of multiple difficulties seem more unified.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I think it feels more fun and it's less immersion breaking and a bit less of a hassle in some cases. None of the "ok, everyone out of the instance so we can switch difficulties. Oh, laszyassmcfartbag didn't leave, everyone out again and let's try again..."

• Options
    I do like that they scaled player and NPC damage so that high level characters can go back and solo old raid content.

I quit raiding midway through WotLK, so I never really got to see Algolon, the Lich King, or anything raid-related post Cataclysm.

• Options
    It's also demoralizing when you watch fuckers like XT heal back to full and have more health when you engage hard mode. Makes it about as bad as when Garrosh kept goddamn healing every goddamn phase because goddamn numbers.

This discussion has been closed.