As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cold boot takes way too long.

RoeRoe Always to the EastRegistered User regular
My specs are as follows:
AMD FX-8350 4.ghz 8 core
Asus M5A99FX Pro Motherboard
16 gbs ddr 1600 ram
620 watt 80+ Bronze PSU
1tb 7200 rpm Hard drive
Windows 8 Home

Currently it is taking a full minute to boot from cold. The majority of the time is spent at the asus wheel screen. I am not counting past the login screen.

By comparison, my old PC has windows 7 and takes about ~20 seconds to boot. It was bought in 2007.

oHw5R0V.jpg
Roe on

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I shortened the boot time, but there's something else that needs to change. In my bios setting I boot from UEFI mode, and if I don't, the computer asks for bootable drive and doesn't load.

It's been like this since I put the machine together, usually you boot straight from the hard disk or CD first. I'm thinking my boot is somewhat slow because it's booting from legacy instead of the hard drive.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    When you take it off UEFI mode, does it revert the boot order to something that doesn't find your boot drive? Or if your drive is new enough, it could just be the non UEFI mode doesn't recognize it.
    You can also usually set a quick boot mode in most configs, where it doesn't do the full suite of memory and hardware checks, just a bare minimum.

Typically, the best thing you can do for boot speed is to install your OS on a solid state drive. My computer boots up too fast for me to get anything useful done while I wait for it. In fact, I never power off my monitor, because my monitor takes 2-3 times as long to cold boot than my PC does.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2016
    I lowered the boot from 1 minute to 27 seconds, but from my sign in during the welcome screen takes another 15 seconds.
    When you take it off UEFI mode, does it revert the boot order to something that doesn't find your boot drive?

The UEFI mode needs to be first in boot order or it doesn't find the drive and gets stuck before the loading screen.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
    Oh nooo you quoted my typo for all of posterity.

steam_sig.png
    edited May 2016
    I downloaded CCcleaner. I cleaned my pc and reduced the number of startup programs by 75% and the welcome screen still takes way too long.

Yesterday I cleaned with Malware bytes and my anti-virus and still the computer takes long to load.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    See if your BIOS has a setting where instead of the Asus splash screen, you see what the boot process is actually doing.

steam_sig.png
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    yea it doesn't sound like this is a windows booting issue as much as it's taking too long to POST.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    Well, the Welcome screen sounds like Windows.
    Those times aren't really far out of line with what you'd expect from a platter HD.

steam_sig.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Roe wrote: »
    I downloaded CCcleaner. I cleaned my pc and reduced the number of startup programs by 75% and the welcome screen still takes way too long.

Yesterday I cleaned with Malware bytes and my anti-virus and still the computer takes long to load.

... out of curiosity, what did MBAM find? Some things that MBAM removes may not be entirely removed, and you may want to give it another scan to see if they're there still.

But yeah, 30-60 seconds is not out of line for a platter drive. Mine takes around 20 seconds with an SSD, but I had to disable fastboot.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Found a virus and a rootkit.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    :bigfrown:

Rootkits are not always nabbed by MBAM or some antivirus programs. Download TDSS Killer to make sure. Select "loaded modules" which will force a reboot, then when it comes back up also select "detect TDLFS File System."

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    This may not help you, but do you have any old/improperly installed USB devices?

I've previously found that BIOS boot time was dramatically extending simply because my PC was running its normal checks on each hard drive, then on an old MP3 player, and that would severely extend it.