As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Eurovision 2016 - finals are today, come one and come

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Alright I just threw on a playlist of the first semi- songs as background music

I think this is my bizarre favorite

https://youtu.be/MFmLfeMzgrc

• bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    HOW COME CANADA CAN'T PARTICIPATE WHEN AUSTRALIA GETS TO

SEND CARLY RAE JEPSEN TO EUROVISION

BRING HOME THE GOLD

Send Britney!

USA! USA! USA!

(vigorously flag-waving and about to pick a fight with a bunch of Azerbadjanis)

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    The Danish entry is so utterly forgettable this year. I'll be surprised if it even makes it to the Final.

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I would like to see the US enter if only to see the sheer frothing rage over choosing the act that goes to the competition

CYpGAPn.png
  • GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to playing some Euro Truck Simulator 2 around the time just before the semi-finals start and scanning through the European internet radio stations just to get their hot takes and commentary.

• LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    I feel like if the US joined then their entry would try entirely too hard and not really get that you're aren't actually supposed to try to win. It's all about the show.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    I feel like if the US joined then their entry would try entirely too hard and not really get that you're aren't actually supposed to try to win. It's all about the show.

No but then imagine Eurovision in The US

Imagine it

Also I'm upset that Germany didn't go with Avantasia, because they are so wonderfully silly.

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    asiavision would be great

how is there not already an asiavision

does taiwan get to be in it? i vote that we put "taiwan gets to be in it" into the asiavision constitution

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Does Russia get to be both in Euro and Asiavision

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I love that Australia was allowed into Eurovision because clearly at some point some Australians said "can we be in Eurovision?" and despite being thousands of miles away from Europe they said sure, go on then. Probably because; more ratings!

And I dunno what I like the idea of more, Eurovision show runners allowing in Australia because they want to include them into this great event, or including them through naked, capitalist greed. It's beautiful!

Eurovision does have a higher viewership in Australia than a whole bunch of countries already competing, which is probably the big reason. Gotta get dat money.

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    what if

australia wins

I mean, if we look at the history of the countries that honestly shouldn't be in this contest

azerbaijan won in 2011

and israel won in 1998 (with a trans singer!)

so it honestly could happen

we could see eurovision 2017 in the southern gosh darned hemisphere

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    I'd love if we won just for the sheer absurdity of it.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    I'd love if we won just for the sheer absurdity of it.

now everyone else has to get up at ridiculous times to watch it live

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    If australian wins its not allowed to host. It gets to pick another country to host it though.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Kochikens wrote: »
    If australian wins its not allowed to host. It gets to pick another country to host it though.

no no I think forcing europe to get up at 4 in the morning is a good idea

• ameybesameybes vvvv MERBERNRegistered User regular
    Kochikens wrote: »
    "and that was how World War III began"

I hope they pick Austria in this case to confuse people some more

• SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    Our song is very meh this year.

https://youtu.be/6yt4YWOiUZI

Sorry

Y'know, I'd never heard of this film before spending the New Year in Denmark

Apparently it's a huge tradition there to air it every New Year's Eve

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Germany and Australia also.

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    if australia wins we get to make the vatican host eurovision against its will

• theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Does Russia get to be both in Euro and Asiavision

Honestly an ideal Asiavision would probably allow some of the larger sub cultures of the bigger countries to participate.

There's several I can think of in India (Punjab, Marathi etc), China (Uyghur, Tibetan etc) and Russia (Tuvan, Sakha) that I can see that being a good way to make it a little more interesting given the population disparity between countries.

Tibet or East Turkestan as separate countries in Asiavision is something which would never happen under the current circumstances

Tibet or East Turkestan as separate countries in Asiavision is something which would never happen under the current circumstances

Not separate countries per se... I know what you mean though.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Good news Americans!

Apparently it's being shown on something called Logo TV?

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    wait america didn't even BROADCAST the eurovision???

parochial as fuck.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Apparently it's being shown on something called Logo TV?

So according to Wikipedia
    Logo TV (also simply known as Logo) is an American digital cable and satellite television channel that is owned by Viacom Media Networks. From its launch up to February 21, 2012, the channel focused on lifestyle programming aimed primarily at lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people. Since February 21, 2012, however, the channel has been shifting its focus away from LGBT programming & towards general cultural & lifestyle programming

Somehow I'm not surprised this channel picked up Eurovision.

Also, really, it took America this long?

And I thought being about a year behind on Buffy the Vampire Slayer was bad.

Eurovision has a large gay following in Europe

that's cause it's camp AF

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

What? Who even would say such a thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfjHJneVonE

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Apparently the official website does a stream with is supposed to be pretty solid, so I guess that was "good enough" for a while. Also I get the impression that Eurovision has been making bigger strides into the wider conciousness over there so now's the time to put it on actual tvs.

Just...please don't try and enter please.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    A few years ago the US would've probably been booed like Russia is getting booed nowadays

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Yeah, I've always watched on the website's official stream stuff

Or, well, the recorded version - I'm rarely up to getting Eurovision drunk in the middle of the day

Straightzi on
    Less than a week to the first semi-final, woohoo

• The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Im still so angry that the Danish people didn't send this song to the finals. It is sooooo much better than the cheesy boyband that won.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhQG8-aWF_4

But then again, we probably couldn't afford another show like the one we made 2 years ago. Everything went to shit after the show was done, and it ended up going waaaaay over budget and became the 2nd most expensive show in eurovision history.

And then they had to tear down the whole building afterwards because no one had the rights to use the improvements made for the show.

The Mantiz on
    3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    OKAY I ACTUALLY MIGHT HAVE TIME TO DO THIS THIS YEAR.

facetious's not-remotely-annual Eurovision Song Reviews.

I'll try to do the second set in the next few days.

Semi-Final 1
    1. Finland - Sandhja - Sing It Away - This passes the first test, in that it sounds like an actual song and not some robotically engineered thing made for Eurovision. Just.. robotically engineered for radio. The chorus is super cheesy and repititive though and then it gets weirdly disco? Not bad overall, but not really memorable. 4/10

2. Greece - Argo - Utopian Land - I liked the instrumental intro and then it just turned into.. what? Also, the rap sounds super like Gangsta's Paradise. 2/10

3. Moldova - Lidia Isac - Falling Stars - This sure is a Eurovision Song, all right. Also it has like, no build. It has the weakest attempt at a breakdown going into the chorus. And then a super short, generic bridge. 2/10

4. Hungary - Freddie - Pioneer - I almost like this guy's voice but then there are moments where it's way too affected. The song overall is .. okay? I don't get the whistling. 4/10

5. Croatia - Nina Kraljić - Lighthouse - I like this. The verses have a sort of Of Monsters and Men vibe, and although the metaphor in the chorus is kinda cheesy, the chorus itself is more restrained than most in the competition. Could do without the key change though. 7/10

6. Netherlands - Douwe Bob - Slow Down - Hey, an Actual Song! With lyrics that aren't pandering hopeful cheese! That immediately puts it way above everything else. It's not super amazing, but I like the chill vibe of it. 7/10

7. Armenia - Iveta Mukuchyan - LoveWave - The spoken word intro immediately kinda turned me against this. Also the title. And yet, for the super overdramatic vibe that so many Eurovision songs go for, it's actually not bad? 5/10

8. San Marino - Serhat - I Didn't Know - No. 1/10

9. Russia - Sergey Lazarev - You Are The Only One - I literally don't know what to say about this? It's.. well produced....??? 3/10

10. Czech Republic - Gabriela Gunčíková - I Stand - She has a good voice, but does every line of the song have to do with standing? 3/10

11. Cyprus - Minus One - Alter Ego - I kind of like this, even if I'm confused by the weird mix of genres. There's even some funk bass going on in there? 6/10

12. Austria - ZOË - Loin d'ici - I like how cheery and light this is compared to the bombast of the other songs. A bit repetitive though, even without being able to understand the lyrics. 6/10

13. Estonia - Jüri Pootsmann - Play - I just don't really get this song? It doesn't really gel. His voice, the instrumentation, the lyrics.. none of it seem to go together. 3/10

14. Azerbaijan - Samra - Miracle - This is like a worse version of 30 songs I've heard on the radio. Which is to say, still better than most Eurovision songs. 4/10

15. Montenegro - Highway - The Real Thing - The guitar is pretty cool, but this is the worst song yet in the "what the fuck is it trying to be?" category. 2/10

16. Iceland - Greta Salóme - Hear Them Calling - This is almost too blatantly Of Monsters and Men-ish, especially with the unnecessary dubbed male singer, but I guess she's from Iceland, so that's fair. A bit reptitive, but still, I kinda dig it. 7/10

17. Bosnia & Herzegovina - Dalal & Deen feat. Ana Rucner and Jala - Ljubav Je - I love the stringed instrument, but the overarching song is so weirdly.. generic light rock. I kinda dig the rap interlude though, even as I've been complaining about songs being schizophrenic. 5/10

18. Malta - Ira Losco - Walk on Water - This started okay, even if it had the same piano chord backing that every pop song in the last 5 years has used, but then the song got taken over by some ridiculously distractic drum machine. 3/10

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

What? Who even would say such a thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfjHJneVonE

I unironically enjoy this song, puts a smile on my face every time.

Probably helped along by me not knowing what the song is about!

What's even the point of tuning into Eurovision if you don't care for the cheesiness

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    There are occasionally Actually Good Songs!

I mean I do enjoy the cheesiness too, but part of the point is applying way too much seriousness to Eurovision. Even as I mock songs for being too serious.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie