As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Roleplaying Games] New Year, New Dungeons, Same Ol' Bane

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Shinobigami alpha PDFs are out from the kickstarter. Haven't gotten a chance to look at them yet, though.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    FFG have announced a new Beginner's Box Set for their Star Wars RPG, based on the Force Awakens. It's set on Jakku and if it's anywhere near the quality of the three boxed sets they've released previously, it's an automatic must buy for me.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • gaming_librariangaming_librarian Turn your face to the sun... Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    FFG have announced a new Beginner's Box Set for their Star Wars RPG, based on the Force Awakens. It's set on Jakku and if it's anywhere near the quality of the three boxed sets they've released previously, it's an automatic must buy for me.

Whoa, no way! Does that mean a Core book is on it's way then for....I don't know, the new era or something? That would be pretty awesome.

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Oh snap, hell yeah. I'll get that for sure.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Shinobigami alpha PDFs are out from the kickstarter. Haven't gotten a chance to look at them yet, though.

For all their warnings about it being horrible it doesn't seem so bad. It is very obviously not finished or anything but it is quite readable.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    @Grunt's Ghosts Your Monsterhunter thread is turning out baller, and makes me seriously regret not having the time to throw my hat in the ring.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular

Whoa, no way! Does that mean a Core book is on it's way then for....I don't know, the new era or something? That would be pretty awesome.

Probably not a new core book, as changing the era doesn't really provide anything new (I think they already said this wouldn't be a new line).

But a cross-line setting book would be awesome, and this beginner game probably crosses lines and that makes it cool.

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I don't see why they'd do a new core book for force awakens era, because nothing meaningful changes by that time that would need it. What I want is an old republic era book.

edited May 2016
    Tomanta wrote: »

Probably not a new core book, as changing the era doesn't really provide anything new (I think they already said this wouldn't be a new line).

But a cross-line setting book would be awesome, and this beginner game probably crosses lines and that makes it cool.

It does! From the preview alone I can already see it mixes Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion classes together. If it has rules for how to handle parties that are mixed across sourcebooks in terms of duty/obligation/morality in there, I will be quite interested to see what they've come up with.
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    I don't see why they'd do a new core book for force awakens era, because nothing meaningful changes by that time that would need it. What I want is an old republic era book.

I'm honestly getting the impression by this point whoever is in charge of the IP badly wants to forget about anything prequel related at this point. They've focused all of their attention and games on Episode IV era and above. For example, there are some really obvious ships they could add to X-Wing and Armada from the Clone Wars era, but they are clearly and deliberately avoiding doing so at this point.

Aegeri on
    I could see a unified book but I'm not sure it's a good idea. Then again, I'd have said you were fucking crazy if you told me you'd have three core books for different characters and that Jedi would be last so who knows.

If they do it though the setting of the new hugely popular movies is the obvious choice over something only the most devoted of SW folk really know about.

I could see a unified book but I'm not sure it's a good idea. Then again, I'd have said you were fucking crazy if you told me you'd have three core books for different characters and that Jedi would be last so who knows.

If they do it though the setting of the new hugely popular movies is the obvious choice over something only the most devoted of SW folk really know about.

Pretty much and by the time it comes out we'd be near Episode VIII territory anyway, especially with their boats. Their infernal boats....

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    @Grunt's Ghosts Your Monsterhunter thread is turning out baller, and makes me seriously regret not having the time to throw my hat in the ring.

It's not my doing, thank @Ken O, @Amigu, @AspectVoid, and @jdarksun for that. I'm just asking questions for world building stuff.

• AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular

It's not my doing, thank @Ken O, @Amigu, @AspectVoid, and @jdarksun for that. I'm just asking questions for world building stuff.

You're asking good questions that help build the world, though. Asking the best questions is just as important as the answers.

PSN|AspectVoid
    Right now I'm just asking pretty basic questions. Not sure if I want to ask about the people of the town and school, although I might do that after character creation, so that the important people to your characters are based off of your characters.

• ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    I think I may run the new Dresden as PbP when it releases for mere mortals. (It's so good.)

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
    I'm really looking forward to the new version of Dresden. I love the setting and the system is ok, but it's got a lot of what feels like unnecessary fiddly bits and exceptions. I've started the project of streamlining it several times now, but I always fizzled out because I'm basically a goldfish.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    I hope they balance out the late game. I've always heard that Wizards overshadow other characters more and more as the game goes on.

I'm really looking forward to the new version of Dresden. I love the setting and the system is ok, but it's got a lot of what feels like unnecessary fiddly bits and exceptions. I've started the project of streamlining it several times now, but I always fizzled out because I'm basically a goldfish.
    You'll love the Fate Accelerated-based version.

zfogvcu.png

In general, I think the existence of Thuatamurgy is a huge problem for balance past a certain point.

The ability to make magic do pretty much whatever you want given enough time is what always ends up killing D&D campaigns, too.

Thats why you just need to stop giving them so much time.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

Thats why you just need to stop giving them so much time.

This is the standard response to such things, yes.

In long, ongoing campaigns, though, you can only push the 24 button so hard for so long. Eventually the whole thing either needs downtime to breathe or timeskips that are going to be used for magical shenanigans. Maginanigans.

Shenmanagans.

• Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    on the topic of shinobigami, I have been an awful flake on my play by posts however I am looking for some people (backers or not) that would be interested in participating in a live game via voice when I can carve out the time

if you are interested in such a thing feel free to @ me here in the thread or shoot me a PM

In general, I think the existence of Thuatamurgy is a huge problem for balance past a certain point.

The ability to make magic do pretty much whatever you want given enough time is what always ends up killing D&D campaigns, too.
    Yeah but that's sort of how magic works.

It's like Voltron. If you give it enough time -- approximately 20 minutes -- it will defeat the robeasts without fail.

Ardent wrote: »

It's like Voltron. If you give it enough time -- approximately 20 minutes -- it will defeat the robeasts without fail.

Granted.

I think the trick is making sure that Harry's right when he says that magic doesn't solve problems, it just changes them into something else.

• InkhandInkhand Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Speaking (tangentially) of time and magic RPGs, has anybody ever done time travel in a fantasy RPG? I'm toying with some time travel via magic ideas, and aside from the usual thorny time travel weirdness there are tropes I want to avoid, like "you're actually those heroes from the past you hear about in stories all the time", etc. Wondering if anybody has an experiences to share.

Inkhand on

Granted.

I think the trick is making sure that Harry's right when he says that magic doesn't solve problems, it just changes them into something else.
    Right, the Xanatos Effect.

Inkhand wrote: »
    Speaking (tangentially) of time and magic RPGs, has anybody ever done time travel in a fantasy RPG? I'm toying with some time travel via magic ideas, and aside from the usual thorny time travel weirdness there are tropes I want to avoid, like "you're actually those heroes from the past you hear about in stories all the time", etc. Wondering if anybody has an experiences to share.

Its easy, make it out so they end up being the bad guys in the stories.

• Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    The early access version of Mage 2nd is up. Not bad. Real disappointed with the Sleepwalker section but the new spellcasting rules are a pretty big improvement.

The early access version of Mage 2nd is up. Not bad. Real disappointed with the Sleepwalker section but the new spellcasting rules are a pretty big improvement.
    Well that's nice at least.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I think I may run the new Dresden as PbP when it releases for mere mortals. (It's so good.)
    @ me when ya do!

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    @ me when ya do!

Likewise! I love the series and would definitely be interested in giving it a run.

• AmiguAmigu Registered User regular

Wait until we all start having monster sex!

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Amigu wrote: »

Wait until we all start having monster sex!

You should know that that thread is the first RPG thread I've subscribed to without being a player in it.

I am very excited.

• AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Haha that's awesome. I think it's going to be great. Thanks to Grunt's Ghosts for getting the ball rolling!

Amigu on
    BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
    At least I dont have to look you in the eyes when your characters get dirty.

• laservisioncatlaservisioncat Registered User regular
    When I saw the marble hornets stealth reference and the fake posts/news stories I knew I had to bookmark that thread

although some of those content warnings make me wonder what the hell kind of highschool allegories you people attended

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Monsterhearts is exactly like my teenage years.

jdarksun wrote: »
    @ me when ya do!

Likewise! I love the series and would definitely be interested in giving it a run.

Oh, oh. Me too!

Worst part is that I totally missed the Marble Hornets reference, despite the fact that I've been following them since the 12th video came out all those years ago.