As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[phalla] Final Fantasy IV: Know Suffering, Know Death, Know Mafia Victory

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I'm less interested in the network situation.
    I'm going to be giving another look at the remaining player's posts and votes, now that I'm off from work.

As for whether the stone mechanic is village or mafia, I suspect it is neither, due to the separate narration color.
    If you are a survival neutral, or the player responsible for that mechanic, it is in your interest to talk to me today.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I'm going to be giving another look at the remaining player's posts and votes, now that I'm off from work.

As for whether the stone mechanic is village or mafia, I suspect it is neither, due to the separate narration color.
    If you are a survival neutral, or the player responsible for that mechanic, it is in your interest to talk to me today.

Uh, you do realize that they should be contacting me, since LostNinja flat-out said he trusts me 100%. Without a seer, no one is confirmed.

I basically have most of everyone's claims apart from a few holdouts, but if you want to reach out to me, it couldn't hurt.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MartossMartoss Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Uh, you do realize that they should be contacting me, since LostNinja flat-out said he trust me 100%. Without a seer, no one is confirmed.

Despite the accusations being thrown my way, I actually agree with this. I can't fathom how CJ could be mafia after what he's done.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Hah, I feel way more village proven,
    but that's another discussion for post game.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

We didn't trust anyone not in the network, and sadly even that's become sketchy.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

Remind me how you're proven again?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    It's not hard proof, but our corpse seer discovered that Phyphor was a green good guy. So I think if the Queen was good, only makes sense that the King was too.

• Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    Howdy folks. I can try to catch up on the ride home.

• Options
    Martoss wrote: »
    It's not hard proof, but our corpse seer discovered that Phyphor was a green good guy. So I think if the Queen was good, only makes sense that the King was too.

Maybe.

Do we have confirmation Virgil is said King?

Steam profile
  • Options
    Ardor wrote: »
    Howdy folks. I can try to catch up on the ride home.

TLDR

We're pretty sure you're mafia and you should fess up.
    I kid... At least till I finish up research

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    kime wrote: »

Maybe.

Right, that was my first thought too. But does it make sense to have a Queen of Eblam but no King? And if we assume that a king exists and Virgil is just masquerading as that role, then surely somebody would have spoken up to somebody about that by now.

• Options

Maybe.

I discussed my Royalty, and my monsterness, and the mechanics of such, (in thread and pm)
    way early in the game, before even monsters and kings were revealed as village players.
    Basically a quarter of the players who were kings and monsters could have challenged me on it if they wanted.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    I know the majority of players left are monsters. A few have remained totally silent. Why is beyond me. The only ones left are spell casters and mafia, so my fears that they're one and the same don't seem unreasonable.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I was the one who reached out to ahava and invited her to the network. I gave her the names we had, and she said she didn't like Martoss' story. She was going to seer him the night she died. Austin also was revealed to us as the healer that same day.

And he ALSO died the same day. Either the mafia have ungodly luck, or we had a leak.

If I can just keep poking holes in this:

It's true that we discovered that Austin was a healer the same day that Lonelyahava outed herself as a seer. But it was MrTLicious and Raiden333 who got bombed following that. And from what the network knew of their abilities, I don't see why I would direct the mafia to attack them instead of the healer and the seer.

• Options
    I was the one who reached out to ahava and invited her to the network. I gave her the names we had, and she said she didn't like Martoss' story. She was going to seer him the night she died. Austin also was revealed to us as the healer that same day.

And he ALSO died the same day. Either the mafia have ungodly luck, or we had a leak.

It's true that we discovered that Austin was a healer the same day that Lonelyahava outed herself as a seer. But it was MrTLicious and Raiden333 who got bombed following that. And from what the network knew of their abilities, I don't see why I would direct the mafia to attack them instead of the healer and the seer.

If it were me, I wouldn't play my card that soon. It was a subtle hit to the network, but not a killing blow.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

Maybe.

I discussed my Royalty, and my monsterness, and the mechanics of such, (in thread and pm)
    way early in the game, before even monsters and kings were revealed as village players.
    Basically a quarter of the players who were kings and monsters could have challenged me on it if they wanted.

So basically, "I'm mafia and I have a cover role which I shared some details about" would also cover this, right? There's no actual confirmation beyond "I knew what a village role would look like."

Steam profile
  • Options

If it were me, I wouldn't play my card that soon. It was a subtle hit to the network, but not a killing blow.

I think this is kind of backwards? Sure, if you start by assuming that I'm mafia, then of course you can concoct a situation where my actions make sense as a mafia. I'm asking you to start by explaining what actions I've taken that indicate that I'm mafia. Because learning who the seer and a healer were and not having them killed immediately doesn't on its own scream mafia to me somehow.

• Options

I think this is kind of backwards? Sure, if you start by assuming that I'm mafia, then of course you can concoct a situation where my actions make sense as a mafia. I'm asking you to start by explaining what actions I've taken that indicate that I'm mafia. Because learning who the seer and a healer were and not having them killed immediately doesn't on its own scream mafia to me somehow.

Because we still have someone petrifying and/or poisoning people, and the natural cover for that would be to pretend you're a mage.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

Maybe.

So basically, "I'm mafia and I have a cover role which I shared some details about" would also cover this, right? There's no actual confirmation beyond "I knew what a village role would look like."

Who would give a player the cover role of
    "Passive - Monster - You will show red on death."

also make them a super ostentatious chimera king.

A lesser player would have hidden it.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options

Maybe.

Although I'm still inclined to believe Virgil on account of being statued, I think it is very likely that the mafia were given cover roles. Specifically, Gizzy contacted LostNinja before the seer call claiming to be a healer named Porom (or was it Polom?). And since we've seen neither Polom nor Porom and are running out of names roles to go around, it makes sense that some of the roles were kept as mafia cover roles.

• Options
    Gizzy claimed to be a main character? Yeah, the mafia were given cover roles, which means your claim is entirely without value, Virgil. You give people cover roles of things that are common in the village so that people can't be soft confirmed by doing exactly what you're doing now.

Steam profile
  • Options
    well okay, maybe not "lesser"
    A sneakier more cautious player

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    You don't hide your cover role. That's the whole point of a cover role is that you can proclaim it to whoever you want and it will sound village.

Steam profile
  • Options
    I'm really inclined to trust Virgil because of the statue thing, and here's why.

In the network, we postulated that there was a village stoner and a mafia stoner. The day that Virgil becomes a statue is the same day that JusticeforPluto (mafia) becomes a statue. Also McKid dies. Afterwards, there's only one statue per day, which we took to mean maybe McKid was a stoner.

And even if it wasn't McKid, if we assume one of the stoners was non-mafia and one was mafia-mafia, then it makes sense that JFP got stoned by the not-mafia, and Virgil by the mafia-mafia.

Unless we really think the mafia started out with two stonings a day.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Most players aren't monsters, and none of us had any idea how prevalent they were early game.
    They have definitely been hunted and distrusted. Way better roles to give for cover in a FF game.
    You wouldn't shaft them with "looks like mafia" abilities either.
    I'm trying to imagine being a mafia member and being told my cover role was a boss character, and naw son

Your distrust isn't my biggest concern, but the hoops you've jumped to display it, has been interesting.

whether you believe me not, my proof as villager goes beyond this discussion,
    I will be happy to elaborate postgame.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options

Because we still have someone petrifying and/or poisoning people, and the natural cover for that would be to pretend you're a mage.

Get ready for a big wall of text.

I just posted why I don't think we have a village stoner anymore. As for poison, H3Knuckles said a long time ago that he was in contact with a village poisoner, and through our network, I think we can verify that that player is indeed a poisoner. Also, we went down to one poison a day after Gizzy died, implying that she was a mafia poisoner.

So are you doubting that the first poisoner is village now? Why? Again, it feels like you're suggesting that the mafia started with two kills, one or two stonings, and two poisons a day. In a 33 player game, that seems hard to believe. The simpler explanation is that the last poisoner is village.

Which I guess I should just go ahead and admit it to everyone now in case anyone was still wondering, yes. I am a cranky Black Mage. And I have been poisoning any threat to the village or the world that I could find. My accuracy rating in that respect might be pretty low, but from what I know of vigs, trying to take out targets that you suspect and failing is better than not using your power at all.

And for informational purposes, this is who I have poisoned each day: Grunt's Ghosts (for being third on the Kime bandwagon), Phyphor (for voting for my buddy Brody and staying under the radar), nobody (because I was following Raiden's advice pre-network to give the healers a chance to save some people from being statues), SeGaTai (from LostNinja's suggestion), H3Knuckles (I was brainwashed), and finally Grunt's Ghosts again (following LostNinja's final suspicions.)

H3Knuckles should be able to verify all that, as he knew I was a poisoner starting from day 2. And now everybody knows. But since the brainwasher is supposedly dead now, what's the harm in that?

In fact, I don't particularly feel the need to poison anyone tonight, that's how confident I am in SeGaTai's guilt. So do with that information what you will!

• Options
    If SeGaTai was mafia, he was either the laziest mafia ever, or playing one weird strategy. I have stronger suspicions elsewhere.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Well I mostly arrived at SeGaTai through process of elimination, because I just trust everyone else so much. But I'm always open to new information.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I'm waiting for some feedback before passing final judgment, but my short list also includes kime and Virgil(though mostly I don't like his previous attempt at being a figurehead).

I frankly think Knuckles is too fervent to be mafia.

Right now we have a tie vote, which I hope goes without saying: that's not a good thing.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Attempt at being a figurehead? :)
    I'm rocking that crown whether either of us like it or not.
    Also, the last thing I want to be is a Network Head.
    I do want get answers though, and frankly more folk should be demanding likewise.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    So does this mean I get to kill you next time, cj? Because poisoning me twice is rude.

• Options
    So does this mean I get to kill you next time, cj? Because poisoning me twice is rude.

What are you on about? I never poisoned you.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Especially when I was talking to Austin since day 1 and you guys knew he was a healer. Poisoning me makes no sense at all.

CJ Iwakura

• Options
    Yeah it was me who decided to poison you twice. Sorry about that (unless you're evil)!

• Options
    Nevermind, I'm watching Arrow and got post mixed up:

Martoss

• Options
    Yeah it was me who decided to poison you twice. Sorry about that (unless you're evil)!

That makes no sense though. Austin vouched for me. He was talking to me day 1. If I had been mafia, I would have gotten my heal and killed him and Preda. That is just stupid to poison me.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    It was actually going to be SeGaTai, but LostNinja had a change of heart at the last minute. I chose you the second time out of LostNinja's three suspicions: you, chamberlain, and Kime. And since I trusted the latter two, I went with you.

No one in our network strongly opposed that though, so vote for me if you wish but we were all culpable. I'm sorry if you think I'm stupid. Despite me asking for us to get Austin in our network, that never happened. So all I knew was that you knew Austin was a healer! I never personally heard anyone vouch for you, only say that they healed you.

Edit: Also, if you were mafia and had just been poisoned, wouldn't you want to keep a healer around in case it happened again? Not that I'm accusing you, I think it's clear from your reaction that you're not mafia now.

Martoss on
  • Options
    Wait... Why wasn't Austin in your network?

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Beats me!

Edit: Specifically, I asked twice, since we were going to depend on him to heal H3's poison anyways. But no one said anything and I didn't feel like I had the authority to invite him on my own so here we are.

Martoss on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Sorry, got fed up with the situation and took a break to crash and sleep a little. Got up and was busy with other stuff.
    How did Martoss get in the network? That's the most important piece of information to determine if he's a mole or not.

I'm not sure how it will help, but it went something like this...

Day 0, I got in contact with Brody and H3Knuckles. As the phalla players that I noticed had the least experience, I said we should make a "new player alliance" where we get each other's backs. I revealed a little information about my role, and the following day I revealed everything else about my role.

As soon as LostNinja was revived, I revealed everything I knew to him. Brody was gone by this time and I didn't see what I had to lose by telling LostNinja everything. And then since I was having to say the same thing to H3 and Lost over and over again, I just started talking to them at the same time. Eventually, as per LostNinja's suggestion, H3 started a big pm between the five of us (me, Lost, H3, Raiden, and CJ). Finally CJ suggests a proboard, and from there we go on to make lots of good informed decisions, share tons of information, and ultimately track down most of the mafia.

So I mean, does that really tell anyone anything?

Can confirm both of these.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png