As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[phalla] Final Fantasy IV: Know Suffering, Know Death, Know Mafia Victory

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    We WANTED to revive Sir Fab and work with him, but sadly it had to be a villager, so we went to plan b.

wVEsyIc.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Also, really sorry for throwing you under the bus and stressing you, Martoss. You did a dynamite job in countering the effort.

wVEsyIc.png
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Arg. I'm really curious to hear some backstory here. Spill people, how did CJ become 100% village somehow?

@38thDoe really good game! Thanks for hosting it!

Also, I'd have to go back through the vote records to check, but I'm pretty sure I voted for mafia almost every single night (I think Phyphor was the only non-mafia vote if he really was a monster instead of mafia).

I did better at networking this time though! That said, I also agree with Grunt, why did I get to be in the network?

The revival mechanic. Rubicant(jdarksun) revived LostNinja, then I came forward claiming to be the one who did it. No one contested me, and I was so sure someone would call me on it.

But Jdark was mafia too wasn't he?

That's a really fucking shitty mechanic, basically designed for this to happen.

I kind of have to agree. Once I was in place, it felt like it was impossible to lose. If the seer hadn't been inactive, I would have been done for, but sadly that wasn't the case.

It would have been even more broken had Gizzy gotten revived like she expected. AND jdarksun's extra kill didn't trigger either.

The seer wouldn't have seered you though. Better targets than someone mostly confirmed.

So I guess "revive a villager" didn't turn out to be the downside 38th was expecting haha!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I dont know why CJ jumped on my wagon so soon.

I also helped kill 2 of my own teammates to help earn a good reputation. Then I get accused of having too good of a record.

What is phalla?

What more do you people want! :P

• MartossMartoss Registered User regular
    Eh, after everything that transpired this is probably what I would have wanted anyways. Everyone dies!!!! All glory to Lord Zemus!!!!

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Also, huge thanks to 38th for hosting one of the most unique Phallas I've played in a long time. The moment I realized there weren't any vanillagers I was like "oh.... oh."

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    kime wrote: Β»
    Arg. I'm really curious to hear some backstory here. Spill people, how did CJ become 100% village somehow?

Also, I'd have to go back through the vote records to check, but I'm pretty sure I voted for mafia almost every single night (I think Phyphor was the only non-mafia vote if he really was a monster instead of mafia).

I did better at networking this time though! That said, I also agree with Grunt, why did I get to be in the network?

The revival mechanic. Rubicant(jdarksun) revived LostNinja, then I came forward claiming to be the one who did it. No one contested me, and I was so sure someone would call me on it.

I kind of have to agree. Once I was in place, it felt like it was impossible to lose. If the seer hadn't been inactive, I would have been done for, but sadly that wasn't the case.

It would have been even more broken had Gizzy gotten revived like she expected. AND jdarksun's extra kill didn't trigger either.

The seer wouldn't have seered you though. Better targets than someone mostly confirmed.

So I guess "revive a villager" didn't turn out to be the downside 38th was expecting haha!

I thought someone would connect the dots with Rubicant healing the party before bringing the pain. Was pretty sure someone in the village suspected me, too. I had to be very selective about who to target.

wVEsyIc.png
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

Yeah, it was kinda the ultimate "in". I mean well played, but talk about rigged.

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I played this game hoping I would draw fire from the mafia, (big scary boss monster reveal) instead of a powerful vig.
    Did ya'll ever target me or did I completely bone this one?

I figure once enough people talked to kings ya'll might have just seen me for this game's equivalent of vanillager, that I was.

As for the proof of my villagership, I was mostly talking out of my ass. (as kime pointed out)

VayBJ4e.png
  • GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Gizzy wrote: Β»
    Mafia got an unblockable kill in exchange for reviving a villager - we kind of messed that up though by aiming at a statue

And why were you so annoyed when you died?

I thought I was supposed to come back. It turned out I only revived if vigged, maybe poisoned? It was written I would come back from death.

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
    I expect to eat a lot of day 1s for this. Like, seven.

wVEsyIc.png
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    My wife said I was an idiot to try and run a game with a two year old and a two week old. She's smarter than I am. I have not been getting enough sleep even before I was staying up to write narration and such. When I get an idea about a game, I either sit on it and never do it, or just jam it out and run it then. I decided to go with option B, and maybe close vote early enough to get some sleep. This did not happen. Despite that, I think this game went pretty well with a couple of exceptions.

The one major exception is that I apparently worded the mafia's role pm terribly. They misunderstood 3/6 of their powers. Again, I'm sorry for this. Its tough to find the right balance as a host between making sure things run smoothly and interfering with the game. After seeking advice from other hosts, I did not preemptively say anything to the mafia or anyone else about power use, but clarified every question asked.

I didn't expect statue composition to be investigated any more than "Wow 38th plays too much Dwarf Fortress". Just trying to do something interesting with narration.

Village inactivity hurt, especially with the seer going inactive. I did pass on wildcat's power usage to @lonelyahava but wildcat's ability was blocked day 1 and and day 2 he did not activate it.

I'm going to touch on a comment that was made earlier about fake seer calling ruining phalla. I don't think that's true. Unless you are playing against your win con, breaking an obvious rule in the OP or going against the spirit of what you should know, I think anything is fair game. Granted if you try things too many times you may be known for it and killed for it. @Baidol and survival neutraling for example. I can't see people refusing to play because something shook up the meta.

I have to apologize again for anything unclear in pms, or whatnot. I am, again sleeping very little these days.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

Yeah, it was kinda the ultimate "in". I mean well played, but talk about rigged.

On the bright side: it will probably never work again.

wVEsyIc.png
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Congrats guys, glad I didnt' fuck it up right at the critical moment and got subbed instead of just killed. CJ pretty much won it for us, good work.

Need to make sure I can make more time for these before I sign up, wasn't some crazy ploy, just always assuming I have more time to get a vote in then I don't

PSN SeGaTai
    38thDoe wrote: Β»
    My wife said I was an idiot to try and run a game with a two year old and a two week old. She's smarter than I am. I have not been getting enough sleep even before I was staying up to write narration and such. When I get an idea about a game, I either sit on it and never do it, or just jam it out and run it then. I decided to go with option B, and maybe close vote early enough to get some sleep. This did not happen. Despite that, I think this game went pretty well with a couple of exceptions.

The one major exception is that I apparently worded the mafia's role pm terribly. They misunderstood 3/6 of their powers. Again, I'm sorry for this. Its tough to find the right balance as a host between making sure things run smoothly and interfering with the game. After seeking advice from other hosts, I did not preemptively say anything to the mafia or anyone else about power use, but clarified every question asked.

I didn't expect station composition to be investigated any more than "Wow 38th plays too much Dwarf Fortress". Just trying to do something interesting with narration.

Village inactivity hurt, especially with the seer going inactive. I did pass on wildcat's power usage to @lonelyahava but wildcat's ability was blocked day 1 and and day 2 he did not activate it.

I'm going to touch on a comment that was made earlier about fake seer calling ruining phalla. I don't think that's true. Unless you are playing against your win con, breaking an obvious rule in the OP or going against the spirit of what you should know, I think anything is fair game. Granted if you try things too many times you may be known for it and killed for it. @Baidol and survival neutraling for example. I can't see people refusing to play because something shook up the meta.

I have to apologize again for anything unclear in pms, or whatnot. I am, again sleeping very little these days.

You're a better host than I, because I have a hard enough time running a game with a cat on my case.

And I kind of agree with it being fair game. If someone wants to take the gamble, they have to risk dying for it.

wVEsyIc.png

I didn't expect station composition to be investigated any more than "Wow 38th plays too much Dwarf Fortress". Just trying to do something interesting with narration.

You're a better host than I, because I have a hard enough time running a game with a cat on my case.

And I kind of agree with it being fair game. If someone wants to take the gamble, they have to risk dying for it.

As someone who's been the victim of clever ruses two games in a row, I still say everything is fair game.

Mainly so when the time is right, I can use mine.

Yeah I mean, I considered the possibility that CJ was mafia at first. But then I thought hey, if he is then we're probably screwed anyways. Might as well go all in.

Still a wild ride. Good game. Would poison again.

Whoops, forgot to scrub the batsignals. Sorry.

Eh, at least I still managed to lead the wagons on two mafia in gut alone...even if I did end up trusting one more than anyone.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    You have to be suspicious of everyone and everything. People coming back from the dead are sketchy. Mafia leaving a confirmed villager alive for night after night is really sketchy if they aren't getting something out of it. Easier to say from the host perspective I guess.

Village had some crazy bad luck as well.

For example Kain had to kill Cecil and protect Rosa to win, he managed to apparently blindly target Cecil Night One, but Cecil was petrified preventing him from all harm. Of course he was unpetrified by a last minute order change in order to die to Kain's jump. Then Kain is immediately poisoned, in what @Egos described as a Shakespearean chain of events.

Rydia was supposed to gain all the skills of the summoned monsters who died to the village, but the mafia managed to kill them all first. I probably should have written that ability differently, but I resisted the urge to meddle with things mid game.

If only Segatai hadn't been cured, or martoss had stuck to his guns, village may have yet won with Virgil holding his vote + in reserve.

38thDoE on steam

Man, the status mechanics had me going nuts... whether to bus drive the poisoning, the healing, poison someone else, target this guy, petrify this guy instead...

wVEsyIc.png
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    WTF?! Did cj/Baigan revive LostNinja or was that a lie? Because if they did that's bullshit. The only thing Baigan can revive is his own goddamn snake arms. Edit: I need to stop posting before reading to the end of the thread.

Still, kind of agree with Lost and cj that, combined with the 1 & 2 player revenge kills seems way OP for the mafia.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited May 2016
    Rubicante/jdarksun full healed LostNinja.
    cj just took the credit.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam

jdarksun revived him. He was Rubicant. My ability was a thrall, and I'd get a kill if I was voted out.

wVEsyIc.png
    You have to be suspicious of everyone and everything. People coming back from the dead are sketchy. Mafia leaving a confirmed villager alive for night after night is really sketchy if they aren't getting something out of it. Easier to say from the host perspective I guess.

Sorry for being a bad sport, but without an active seer this reasoning is kind of a load of bull.

We WANTED to revive Sir Fab and work with him, but sadly it had to be a villager, so we went to plan b.

I wanted to let you do that, because I thought it would be hilarious, but that's not the way I wrote it.

38thDoE on steam

I don't know what else I could have done to convince people SeGaTai was a baddy. But it wouldn't have mattered in the end because CJ had my complete and total trust. LostNinja's endorsement really cinched it too.

Wow, that Rydia mechanic sounds devastating. Sounds a bit too tough to pull off, though.

wVEsyIc.png
    This Phalla was literally the cusp of how insane I like the games to get.

I love crazy roles and mechanics, but as soon as the phallas start adding maps and movement mechanics and health bars and shit my eyes just kind of glaze over. I'm not even the slightest bit mad I lost, because I had so much fun theorycrafting what the ever living hell was going on.

Martoss wrote: Β»
    I don't know what else I could have done to convince people SeGaTai was a baddy. But it wouldn't have mattered in the end because CJ had my complete and total trust. LostNinja's endorsement really cinched it too.

Ardor volunteered to go under the bus, but I was worried that if he did, we'd go to a final day and I might get caught.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular

I sure wasn't going to vote for Ardor without giving him a day to post

VayBJ4e.png
    edited May 2016

Sorry for being a bad sport, but without an active seer this reasoning is kind of a load of bull.

No, that's fair, but I'm probably by a wide margin the most naive of all phalla players and so that's there for me as much as for you. A lot of times the seer is day 1'd, or there is no seer and people can still get to victory just by examining wagons and how people act. There were a couple of mafia votes a few days in that really stuck out to people not playing. Its a skill I'm not always great at, but its important since you can't always count on a seer or familiar mechanics, but you can usually count on the mafia culling abilities they don't control.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam

Thanks for Hosting

And Get that sweet sweet rest if you can find it between baby time

VayBJ4e.png

Ardor volunteered to go under the bus, but I was worried that if he did, we'd go to a final day and I might get caught.

Eh you'd have been fine. But not to worry. I'll be extra distrustful of everyone next time. Hell I'm gonna start looking at people in the real world with more suspicion now. The betrayal still stings!!!

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular

I just assumed LostNinja was told who revived him when Doe notified him, otherwise I would not have been emphatic about it like he was had I been in his shoes.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Extremely well played, CJ. You were one of the few people in the network I had 0 suspicion of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgbN8doxXxg

I feel kind of bad for Sir Fab (only kinda after last game :P ) because even if he hadn't eaten the vote day 1, my burning grudge was going to have me roleblock him every single day until I saw a better target. Can't imagine that'd be fun as an SK.

Eh, you could've tried, but I was immune to a targeted power a day, so you'd've been more disappointed than me.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
    edited May 2016

Eh you'd have been fine. But not to worry. I'll be extra distrustful of everyone next time. Hell I'm gonna start looking at people in the real world with more suspicion now. The betrayal still stings!!!

You can only ever TRULY trust a seer result. (Even then it could be sketchy if the GM is evil.) It bears repeating, though: you all had dynamite instincts. Just should've suspected my revival claim a little more and I think this game would've been yours.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    Extremely well played, CJ. You were one of the few people in the network I had 0 suspicion of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgbN8doxXxg

I feel kind of bad for Sir Fab (only kinda after last game :P ) because even if he hadn't eaten the vote day 1, my burning grudge was going to have me roleblock him every single day until I saw a better target. Can't imagine that'd be fun as an SK.

Eh, you could've tried, but I was immune to a targeted power a day, so you'd've been more disappointed than me.

Curses!

• ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    Thanks for hosting 38thDoe!

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Thanks for hosting, 38th! I'm a little hesitant on how super balanced it was, but it wasn't very unbalanced if that, and the important part: it was a bunch of fun!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile