As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[phalla] Final Fantasy IV: Know Suffering, Know Death, Know Mafia Victory

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    WTF?! Did cj/Baigan revive LostNinja or was that a lie? Because if they did that's bullshit. The only thing Baigan can revive is his own goddamn snake arms. Edit: I need to stop posting before reading to the end of the thread.

Still, kind of agree with Lost and cj that, combined with the 1 & 2 player revenge kills seems way OP for the mafia.

Quite Possibly.

I'm not the best at balance, and balancing crazy games is harder than balancing sane games. I try and get other sets of eyes on these games, but there is only so much anyone can do.

The mafia had 2 kills, 2 status effects, 3 conditional one time kills.
    The village had 1 wildcard, 1 kill, 2 every other day kills, 2 role block, 3 status cures, a seer, 2 guards, 2 corpse seers, 2 +1 votes, 2 one time +1 votes, 1 status effect. And one person who was a backup for the vigs, cures, roleblocks, guard, etc.

Feel free to post roles, I can post the list tomorrow morning when I wake up.

In the meantime, please let me know what you liked/hated so I can do better next time.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Gizzy wrote: »
    Mafia got an unblockable kill in exchange for reviving a villager - we kind of messed that up though by aiming at a statue

Wait, what? @Gizzy Care to explain that one a little more clearly?

Reviving a villager is an excellent manipulation mechanic in and of itself, please tell me you didn't get a free kill for doing it as well.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Main critic

Death Seer is a role I did not trust at any moment.
    As dude who falsely reveals as mafia in his death in this game,
    I'd honestly prefer someone to do some other thing

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Re: fake seer calls

To me, it's obvious that mafia have to be allowed to pretend to be the seer, otherwise any seer claim is completely bulletproof, which is boring for gameplay. And there's also potential for interesting gameplay when a townie fakeclaims seer with the intent to eat a mafia kill while the real seer goes about their job, so random townies should be allowed to do it, too. Where it gets obnoxious is when townies start spamming the seer fakeclaims though, particularly if they're claiming guilty checks on other townies, because that's really working against their win condition - mafia knows the claim is a lie, so they can aim their shots better, and the fakeclaim probably ends with multiple townies getting lynched.

And if the fakeclaim meta goes too far, eventually you end up with that speed game where the seer finds and outs the mafia N1, but the town proceeds to ignore them all game and eventually loses (maybe someone else can find and link it. It's a trainwreck.)

Fry on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I didn't want to throw in death millers without a way to figure out what was going on. Of course that got busted open amazingly quickly without any need for the seers, but I didn't see that coming.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    All in all I think we learned an important lesson from this.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Gizzy wrote: »
    Mafia got an unblockable kill in exchange for reviving a villager - we kind of messed that up though by aiming at a statue

Wait, what? @Gizzy Care to explain that one a little more clearly?

Reviving a villager is an excellent manipulation mechanic in and of itself, please tell me you didn't get a free kill for doing it as well.

We were supposed to, it got misdirected.

Frankly, 38th: giving the mafia a revival ability was broken as hell. The village might predict it, but it's really out there. Even with all that firepower, they'd never suspect someone who revived a villager.

At very least it should have a glaringly obvious catch, like 'you were brought back by a dark force'.... or the reviver has to die, or something.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

Make Sir Fab a vote bomb in all future games.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Martoss wrote: »
    I don't know what else I could have done to convince people SeGaTai was a baddy. But it wouldn't have mattered in the end because CJ had my complete and total trust. LostNinja's endorsement really cinched it too.

Ardor volunteered to go under the bus, but I was worried that if he did, we'd go to a final day and I might get caught.

Eh you'd have been fine. But not to worry. I'll be extra distrustful of everyone next time. Hell I'm gonna start looking at people in the real world with more suspicion now. The betrayal still stings!!!

You can only ever TRULY trust a seer result. (Even then it could be sketchy if the GM is evil.) It bears repeating, though: you all had dynamite instincts. Just should've suspected my revival claim a little more and I think this game would've been yours.

I don't really blame myself for not suspecting you, because the casual phrasing LN used implying you were his reviver made me think he got actual conformation on who revived him.

Not blaming you either, LN, we both fell for it. But I definitely would have been slightly more suspicious if you had said "CJ claims to be the one who rezzed me, no idea if that's true or not", especially with CJ encouraging us in the PM thread that we should make a proboard because he was having too much trouble keeping track of everything.

Every game a learning experience.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I really liked how you gave most folks a mechanic
    I had a good time threatening Royal Decree, (Even if I never used it

I might do this every game

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    MartossMartoss Registered User regular

That the space whale was a lie? I was expecting a space whale!

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Not blaming you either, LN, we both fell for it. But I definitely would have been slightly more suspicious if you had said "CJ claims to be the one who rezzed me, no idea if that's true or not", especially with CJ encouraging us in the PM thread that we should make a proboard because he was having too much trouble keeping track of everything.

That was actually true. :P That night I had like 30 something emails. AND I was running the mafia proboard. (Now you see why I didn't want to run it, Knuckles? :P)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

Always trust kime

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options

Whales fall, everyone dies.
    (Lali.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

I tried to please everyone!
    This is a well-crafted cinnabar statue of Invictus.
    The item is a well-designed image of Invictus the ???
    The Invictus is holding a jet whale.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options

That was actually true. :P That night I had like 30 something emails. AND I was running the mafia proboard. (Now you see why I didn't want to run it, Knuckles? :P)

Exactly. If I didn't think you were ironclad, that would have made me suspicious. "Hm, I'm busy and I can follow this conversation, who else is he talking to?"

• Options
    Don't get me started on the statues. I was all ready to start making a wall of crazy flow charts and diagrams to figure out the hidden meaning behind them, but then I decided that I was just too lazy. But I always had this niggling suspicion that we were missing something with that.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I don't know what else I could have done to convince people SeGaTai was a baddy. But it wouldn't have mattered in the end because CJ had my complete and total trust. LostNinja's endorsement really cinched it too.

Ardor volunteered to go under the bus, but I was worried that if he did, we'd go to a final day and I might get caught.

Eh you'd have been fine. But not to worry. I'll be extra distrustful of everyone next time. Hell I'm gonna start looking at people in the real world with more suspicion now. The betrayal still stings!!!

You can only ever TRULY trust a seer result. (Even then it could be sketchy if the GM is evil.) It bears repeating, though: you all had dynamite instincts. Just should've suspected my revival claim a little more and I think this game would've been yours.

I don't really blame myself for not suspecting you, because the casual phrasing LN used implying you were his reviver made me think he got actual conformation on who revived him.

Okay, these are getting annoying. Why on earth would I be suspicious that the person claiming to have rezd me didn't when no one else had stepped forward claiming to? I mean if it was Jdark that did it, and he claimed he was the one who did it would that have suddenly made it better?

Edit: also meant to quote H3's comment that's somewhere in the quote tree here to so I wasn't singling you out Raiden.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    LostNinja wrote: »

Okay, these are getting annoying. Why on earth would I be suspicious that the person claiming to have rezd me didn't when no one else had stepped forward claiming to? I mean if it was Jdark that did it, and he claimed he was the one who did it would that have suddenly made it better?

Almost anyone would've fallen for it, so no sense stressing it. Again, I doubt anyone's gonna fall for this again, and it's a testament to your organization that I still struggled to get the win.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Can I ask what I did wrong this game to land suspicion on me.

• Options
    Yeah we all should have discussed the rezzing in more detail in the thread, kinda weird how we just sort of glossed over it. I just couldn't figure out why the mafia would get the rez power, but maybe I would have been more suspicious if someone mentioned there was a boss that heals your party before you fight him in regards to it.

• Options
    Can I ask what I did wrong this game to land suspicion on me.

A little quieter than you usually are, and your vote placement was a little too perfect. Always being near the tail end of mafia wagons.

I think that's what made me suspicious anyway.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    thanks for running 38th.

As soon as I died I knew it was cj.

But I was dead.

The 'network' so to speak was terrifyingly not secure. I was talking to both cj & lostninja in PMs rather than the board. I didn't trust martoss like at all. He made some seriously sketchy posts to me.

But whencj said, "who else are you talking to about this?" and then I died...

Well played, cj. Well played.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I think Gizzy is almost always a village special, so her not being super helpful was an instant red flag, I'm sure.

She was definitely a solid partner in crime. Lot of great calls.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    guys

hey guys

kime is my mason!

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    thanks for running 38th.

But I was dead.

The 'network' so to speak was terrifyingly not secure. I was talking to both cj & lostninja in PMs rather than the board. I didn't trust martoss like at all. He made some seriously sketchy posts to me.

I figured if anyone was going to suspect me, it would be you. So well played to you too. 8-)

Yeah, the network was just a mishmash of people with similar interests, which is why I'm shocked it held up so well.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    38thDoe wrote: »
    I didn't want to throw in death millers without a way to figure out what was going on. Of course that got busted open amazingly quickly without any need for the seers, but I didn't see that coming.

Yo half of the mafia in some game should just collectively decide to come out as death millers.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    thanks for running 38th.

But I was dead.

I figured if anyone was going to suspect me, it would be you. So well played to you too. 8-)

Yeah, the network was just a mishmash of people with similar interests, which is why I'm shocked it held up so well.

honestly with the way the initial "network" was set up between H3, Brody, and Mat, built on trust, hopes, and dreams, we're lucky we only ended up with one mafia infiltrating it. :P

• Options
    thanks for running 38th.

But I was dead.

I mean it was weirdly effective mishmash though. If we hadn't been stedily pinging mafia it would have been more suspicious.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    and I was messaging LN going all "TRUST NOBODY, EVERYBODY IS LYING"

I swear my paranoia was hitting many high notes in this game.

but games with millers do that.

s'why i went for Gizzy. Her posts flagged her for me, then the seer result. I had to have her voted out because my paranoia had me not trusting the host.

my seer on austin had been on cj. but i changed it. should trust my instincts more.

• Options
    Also if I was mafia, I could have TOTALLY infiltrated it.

H3 and LN, you both just kind of took me at my word and let me in without even proving it.

When LN requested I roleblock Invictus, that was a legit fuck up not getting the order in in time, but it'd also be a Perfectly Likely Story if I was mafia. I was honestly surprised when I got the proboard invitation.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    kime wrote: »
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Arg. I'm really curious to hear some backstory here. Spill people, how did CJ become 100% village somehow?

@38thDoe really good game! Thanks for hosting it!

Also, I'd have to go back through the vote records to check, but I'm pretty sure I voted for mafia almost every single night (I think Phyphor was the only non-mafia vote if he really was a monster instead of mafia).

I did better at networking this time though! That said, I also agree with Grunt, why did I get to be in the network?

The revival mechanic. Rubicant(jdarksun) revived LostNinja, then I came forward claiming to be the one who did it. No one contested me, and I was so sure someone would call me on it.

But Jdark was mafia too wasn't he?

That's a really fucking shitty mechanic, basically designed for this to happen.

I kind of have to agree. Once I was in place, it felt like it was impossible to lose. If the seer hadn't been inactive, I would have been done for, but sadly that wasn't the case.

It would have been even more broken had Gizzy gotten revived like she expected. AND jdarksun's extra kill didn't trigger either.

The seer wouldn't have seered you though. Better targets than someone mostly confirmed.

So I guess "revive a villager" didn't turn out to be the downside 38th was expecting haha!

I thought someone would connect the dots with Rubicant healing the party before bringing the pain. Was pretty sure someone in the village suspected me, too. I had to be very selective about who to target.

I discussed that Rubicante might be able to heal, but didn't think he'd be able to revive players as I assumed that was a separate power.

Also, I'll make our proboard viewable for everyone in a bit. Gonna do a final listing of all the votes since I missed days 6 and 7.

Days 1-3
    Day 4
    Day 5
    Days 6-7

Edit: adding link to proboard. Registration's locked but it's set to viewable by guests.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    My learning that Austin was the healer was a godsend in two ways: we went after him, and we busdrove him to heal SeGaTai that night.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    and I was messaging LN going all "TRUST NOBODY, EVERYBODY IS LYING"

I swear my paranoia was hitting many high notes in this game.

but games with millers do that.

s'why i went for Gizzy. Her posts flagged her for me, then the seer result. I had to have her voted out because my paranoia had me not trusting the host.

my seer on austin had been on cj. but i changed it. should trust my instincts more.

You asked for are you reliable, are there millers/thralls,etc.
    I wanted to say yes you are reliable, as in you don't get random answers or paranoid seer or some such, but I'm not sure how saying you are reliable interacts with thralls/millers.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Also if I was mafia, I could have TOTALLY infiltrated it.

H3 and LN, you both just kind of took me at my word and let me in without even proving it.

When LN requested I roleblock Invictus, that was a legit fuck up not getting the order in in time, but it'd also be a Perfectly Likely Story if I was mafia. I was honestly surprised when I got the proboard invitation.

That's why I sorta started backing off and holding all my conversations off to the side, mostly sharing with CJ (who I thought I could trust), before sharing it on the board.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I think Gizzy is almost always a village special, so her not being super helpful was an instant red flag, I'm sure.

She was definitely a solid partner in crime. Lot of great calls.

It's... not a great experience to sit there petrified for two days mortally certain Gizzy and jdark are mafia, then die a day after revival because you're pretty sure your only chance to maybe get de-poisoned is not to bring it up until after you're cured.

I was actually excited to come back once I realized we were nowhere near vanilla and I'd probably tripped jdark's special-ometer, but geez.

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular

Did anyone ask why you didn't revive specials? I was very curious about this. Though I was paying cursory attention. I assume the pretense was it was "one time resurrection" ability?

• Options
    Thralls are a seer's worst nightmare. I've never really known of an effective counter to that.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    thanks for running 38th.

But I was dead.

honestly with the way the initial "network" was set up between H3, Brody, and Mat, built on trust, hopes, and dreams, we're lucky we only ended up with one mafia infiltrating it. :P

These plucky little softnetworks make games absurdly difficult to balance. Yes, it can all come down in flames if mafia get in, but in the event they don't its basically like 3-5 masons in a group. In a game like this masons with powers. Its not something you'd ever put in a game because that's basically a village mafia.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Egos wrote: »

Did anyone ask why you didn't revive specials? I was very curious about this. Though I was paying cursory attention. I assume the pretense was it was "one time resurrection" ability?

One time revival, it had to be a villager. And no, I wasn't questioned at all. I think LN was just glad to be back and have a reliable contact.

wVEsyIc.png