As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[phalla] Final Fantasy IV: Know Suffering, Know Death, Know Mafia Victory

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    and I was messaging LN going all "TRUST NOBODY, EVERYBODY IS LYING"

I swear my paranoia was hitting many high notes in this game.

but games with millers do that.

s'why i went for Gizzy. Her posts flagged her for me, then the seer result. I had to have her voted out because my paranoia had me not trusting the host.

my seer on austin had been on cj. but i changed it. should trust my instincts more.

You asked for are you reliable, are there millers/thralls,etc.
    I wanted to say yes you are reliable, as in you don't get random answers or paranoid seer or some such, but I'm not sure how saying you are reliable interacts with thralls/millers.

You did exactly what you should have done. You denied both.

also, dammit @wildcat Never target @Infidel on day 1!! It will always be useless! he will always be guarded or blocked or killed. lol.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Thralls are a seer's worst nightmare. I've never really known of an effective counter to that.

I think in all the games I've had thralls in, they've never been seered. And sometimes they just beg to be seered in such a way that heavily implies they are mafia. I think you made a comment to someone that tripped me as too eager to be seered in a PM to someone.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Thralls are a seer's worst nightmare. I've never really known of an effective counter to that.

I think in all the games I've had thralls in, they've never been seered. And sometimes they just beg to be seered in such a way that heavily implies they are mafia. I think you made a comment to someone that tripped me as too eager to be seered in a PM to someone.

Probably when I told LostNinja to go ahead and seer me if he wasn't sure. Thrall + claiming revival = untouchable, unless you die to crossfire.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Speaking of @Infidel I think its hilarious that in my first main game, Sigil: City of Doors, Infidel died pretty much the exact same way.
    Poisoned, and couldn't get a heal to save his life. Literally the exact same death.
    Mafia uses poison on the infidel.
    SUPER EFFECTIVE!

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I think you did good @H3Knuckles.
    You convinced me you were village despite a lot of things outside your control working against you.
    I wouldn't have spotted jdarksun without him taking a certain kind of bait from you either.

I recognize my tone with @Brody was a bit asshole-ish in my roleplay of a king.
    I apologize if I bummed you out at any point.
    I can do better job walking that line of having fun and keeping the game positive
    I hope you had a good time with the game

VayBJ4e.png
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular

I've actually thought about this a bit.

1. A thrall, once seered as green, could be revealed to the seer as a thrall after a set number of days, and obviously the thrall would not be notified about this mechanic lest they get the seer killed off before the deadline.
    2. A thrall, once seered as green, has an RNG chance each night to be revealed to the seer as a thrall each night.
    3. The seer has 2 powers, one is a "Doublecheck" power that can only be used a limited number of times, but lets them see if a previously seered target is a thrall with 100% accuracy. Ideally with this mechanic it would be established publicly early on that thralls are a thing in that game.
    4. If the game has mafia who have unique powers in addition to the nightly kills, the thrall getting seered removes them.

plus probably others I'm not remembering right now. I don't have near enough time/creativity to run a phalla, but I think about the mechanics a lot and I think Thralls could be cool if done right, same as millers were this game.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Phalla is challenging at the best of times.

It's been over a year since my last game, I think. It's tough getting back into the mindset.

It's even tougher with an infant who needs you. it's hard to look at the pieces, put them together coherently and make the right calls when you're struggling to get a baby to sleep.

all new challenges.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I think like 38th said, it's really rare for a thrall to be (un?)lucky enough to both be a seer target and be able to do actual damage, so maybe it kind of works itself out.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I think like 38th said, it's really rare for a thrall to be (un?)lucky enough to both be a seer target and be able to do actual damage, so maybe it kind of works itself out.

Fair points, both of you.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

I had a pretty good run as one in Assuran's Deadlands game a long while back, but that was a faction game with a lot of crazy stuff going on and I'm not sure I ever got seered.

We were able to make me a "survival neutral" miller, too. It got strange!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• MartossMartoss Registered User regular
    So for real, would Final Fantasy IV be worth a play if you never have before? Like say, $16 worth it?

@martoss sorry for suspecting you. no hard feelings?

• ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    Martoss wrote: »
    So for real, would Final Fantasy IV be worth a play if you never have before? Like say, $16 worth it?

I greatly enjoyed the game back in the day, not sure if I think it would be worth $16 though.

@martoss sorry for suspecting you. no hard feelings?

Nah no hard feelings. I just have a suspicious looking face. I would have suspected me too!

Yes. I never run a game on media I wouldn't recommend! Try and find the 3D version if you can.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I don't know what else I could have done to convince people SeGaTai was a baddy. But it wouldn't have mattered in the end because CJ had my complete and total trust. LostNinja's endorsement really cinched it too.

Ardor volunteered to go under the bus, but I was worried that if he did, we'd go to a final day and I might get caught.

Eh you'd have been fine. But not to worry. I'll be extra distrustful of everyone next time. Hell I'm gonna start looking at people in the real world with more suspicion now. The betrayal still stings!!!

You can only ever TRULY trust a seer result. (Even then it could be sketchy if the GM is evil.) It bears repeating, though: you all had dynamite instincts. Just should've suspected my revival claim a little more and I think this game would've been yours.

I don't really blame myself for not suspecting you, because the casual phrasing LN used implying you were his reviver made me think he got actual conformation on who revived him.

Not blaming you either, LN, we both fell for it. But I definitely would have been slightly more suspicious if you had said "CJ claims to be the one who rezzed me, no idea if that's true or not", especially with CJ encouraging us in the PM thread that we should make a proboard because he was having too much trouble keeping track of everything.

Every game a learning experience.

Okay, these are getting annoying. Why on earth would I be suspicious that the person claiming to have rezd me didn't when no one else had stepped forward claiming to? I mean if it was Jdark that did it, and he claimed he was the one who did it would that have suddenly made it better?

Edit: also meant to quote H3's comment that's somewhere in the quote tree here to so I wasn't singling you out Raiden.

It's not that you believed cj, it's that you didn't temper your words any. I dunno, I'm just saying I would have said that cj claimed it just to be cautious, especially once we were all jumping at shadows about a leak. I had honestly thought about asking you about it at one point but since you had such a better handle on overall game I figured it was a waste of time.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    I'm terrible as mafia, and knew I was raising flags with my posts - which was on purpose thinking I'd draw attention off others just to pop right back and demotivate the village. Lost my temper when things didn't go as expected - @discrider actually talked me down.

Apologies @38thDoe for being a fussy grump. This game was actually very fun.

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Yeah we all should have discussed the rezzing in more detail in the thread, kinda weird how we just sort of glossed over it. I just couldn't figure out why the mafia would get the rez power, but maybe I would have been more suspicious if someone mentioned there was a boss that heals your party before you fight him in regards to it.

But I did mention it. A couple times. I just said "heal" and not "revive".

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Yeah we all should have discussed the rezzing in more detail in the thread, kinda weird how we just sort of glossed over it. I just couldn't figure out why the mafia would get the rez power, but maybe I would have been more suspicious if someone mentioned there was a boss that heals your party before you fight him in regards to it.

But I did mention it. A couple times. I just said "heal" and not "revive".

Right and I didn't connect the dots. Maybe next time I'll be able to pay closer attention.

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    M
    I don't know what else I could have done to convince people SeGaTai was a baddy. But it wouldn't have mattered in the end because CJ had my complete and total trust. LostNinja's endorsement really cinched it too.

Ardor volunteered to go under the bus, but I was worried that if he did, we'd go to a final day and I might get caught.

Eh you'd have been fine. But not to worry. I'll be extra distrustful of everyone next time. Hell I'm gonna start looking at people in the real world with more suspicion now. The betrayal still stings!!!

You can only ever TRULY trust a seer result. (Even then it could be sketchy if the GM is evil.) It bears repeating, though: you all had dynamite instincts. Just should've suspected my revival claim a little more and I think this game would've been yours.

I don't really blame myself for not suspecting you, because the casual phrasing LN used implying you were his reviver made me think he got actual conformation on who revived him.

Not blaming you either, LN, we both fell for it. But I definitely would have been slightly more suspicious if you had said "CJ claims to be the one who rezzed me, no idea if that's true or not", especially with CJ encouraging us in the PM thread that we should make a proboard because he was having too much trouble keeping track of everything.

Okay, these are getting annoying. Why on earth would I be suspicious that the person claiming to have rezd me didn't when no one else had stepped forward claiming to? I mean if it was Jdark that did it, and he claimed he was the one who did it would that have suddenly made it better?

Edit: also meant to quote H3's comment that's somewhere in the quote tree here to so I wasn't singling you out Raiden.

It's not that you believed cj, it's that you didn't temper your words any. I dunno, I'm just saying I would have said that cj claimed it just to be cautious, especially once we were all jumping at shadows about a leak. I had honestly thought about asking you about it at one point but since you had such a better handle on overall game I figured it was a waste of time.

Yeah...that's still bogus after the fact reasoning.

Edit: to be clear, there is no way you are going to be suspicious of someone who claims to be the one to revive you when no one else is also claiming to have done it. And again even if it had been Jdark (who had done it) making the claim how would that have been better? Sorry but blaming me for not being more "cautious" and saying claimed instead of did is rediculous.

LostNinja on
    edited May 2016
    I guess my problem about this mafia's offensive-heavy powers is that while the village had a ton of abilities, they aren't automatically networked. Like, every one of our kills hurt our cause in the long run. Martoss' got one poison that would've helped if it hadn't been cured. Did the mafia ever have to bus drive an attack onto someone else?

The roster was kind of bizarre from what I can tell, I'd love to see a complete listing of who was who and what powers they had. I'd also like confirmation on whether the mafia were provided cover roles as players began discussing on the last few days. It makes sense, but I was totally unaware that was a thing.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    I totally would have trusted cj if he said he rezzed me, btw. completely. I would in no way gone anywhere near anybody else until a seer showed up. But I think we've already established how paranoid I am

Yeah we had cover roles, let me see ..

M

Edit: to be clear, there is no way you are going to be suspicious of someone who claims to be the one to revive you when no one else is also claiming to have done it. And again even if it had been Jdark (who had done it) making the claim how would that have been better? Sorry but blaming me for not being more "cautious" and saying claimed instead of did is rediculous.

Man, please don't have hard feelings over this.

camo_sig2-400.png
    Roles and Cover Roles:
    Golbez and Party

You are a group consisting of an all powerful mage, four archfiends of element, and one good looking bad smelling guy. Together you will conquer the world for Master Zemus.

JusticeforPluto is Golbez

Brainwash: The next night your target will use their ability if any on a target you provide.

Gizzy is Scarmiglione

Now see my True Form: You will automatically revive after being killed.
    Emperor of Poison: You may heal or cure poison on a target.

DeamonIzual is Cagnazzo

Turtle Mode: Guard your target.
    The Wicked are not want to fall alone: You may PM me a target to revenge kill the day after you die.

SeGaTai is Barbariccia

You may petrify or soften a target.

jdarksun is Rubicante

Now Fight With All Your Might: Revive a dead villager.

Inferno: Unblockable kill (One Use unlocked by using Now Fight With All Your Might

cj iwakura is Baigan

Abilities:

Looking Good: You are a thrall
    Exploding Arms: If you are voted out you may choose someone from your wagon to explode on.

You have the following names as potential cover roles:

Palom
    Porom
    Edge
    Yang
    Dark Elf
    FuSoYa

Abilities:
    Red Wings Assault - Kill two targets

Win condition: Eliminate all threats to Lord Zemus' rule and outnumber the remnants of resistance.

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    M

I don't, I'm just saying don't try to throw me under the bus to make yourself feel better.

edited May 2016
    @38thDoe Overall I had a good time, got a little over-invested and thus stressed out on day 4 & early day 7, but I'll have to start keeping an eye on the phalla signups in the future.

Edit: Just realized I forgot to say "Thanks, Doe".

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I was just observing, but it was nice to see someone get invested in a game @H3Knuckles. I think that a lot of us are over-enthusiastic when we're new and over time we become cynical and dead inside.... but y'know it's cool ;-)

Nice to see people not in that state ::hydra:

Egos on
    M

I don't, I'm just saying don't try to throw me under the bus to make yourself feel better.

That really wasn't my intention. I said you were doing a great job overall. I mean how many mafia games have 4 vote kills in 5 nights, and you coordinated a lot using your known status as a villager.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Thanks for running the game 38th!

If I had to complain about something it would be that powers that remove someone from the game 'temporarily' are kinda unfun because its not much fun to just sit and watch and hope you come back.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I didn't like being a miller. Not being able to gain the village trust sucks and the worst part is the best way to deal with them is to kill them and let it be done. Not a fun role.

Here's the villager network proboard, if anyone is still interested.

camo_sig2-400.png
    Just for those who might be curious:

see previous days here
    Days 1-3
    Day 4
    Day 5

Day 6 votes let me know if there are any errors
    voter: candidate (running tally), withdrawn vote (updated tally)
    1. chamberlain: H3Knuckles (1)
    2. LostNinja: Justice for Pluto (1)
    3. Assuran: kime (1)
    4. Martoss: Justice for Pluto (2)
    5. cj iwakura: Justice for Pluto (3)
    6. Justice for Pluto: cj iwakura (1)
    7. invictus: Justice for Pluto (4)
    8. kime: Justice for Pluto (5)
    9. Grunt's Ghosts: Justice for Pluto (6)
    10. Assuran: Justice for Pluto (7), kime (0)
    11. H3Knuckles: Justice for Pluto (8)
    12. Virgil_Leads_You: Justice for Pluto (9)
    13. SeGaTai: Justice for Pluto (10) - just missed the deadline

Day 7 votes let me know if there are any errors
    voter: candidate (running tally), withdrawn vote (updated tally)
    1. SeGaTai: Grunt's Ghosts (1) - replaced by Ardor
    2. cj iwakura: Martoss (1)
    3. Martoss: SeGaTai (1) - invalidated by replacement
    4. chamberlain: H3Knuckles (1)
    5. Martoss: Ardor (1), SeGaTai (0)
    6. Grunt's Ghosts: cj iwakura (1)
    7. Grunt's Ghosts: Martoss (2), cj iwakura (0)
    8. Virgil_Leads_You: kime (2) - +1 Royal Decree (publicly declared)
    9. H3Knuckles: kime (3)
    10. Martoss: kime (4), Ardor (0)
    11. Ardor: Martoss (3)
    12. kime: Virgil_Leads_You (1) - just missed the voting deadline

camo_sig2-400.png
  • AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Someone coming back from the dead is an instant red flag, especially in a game full of death millers and morticians (dead seers). Our morticians were dead (I thought), so I was hella paranoid about revealing to Lost Ninja. I only revealed to lonelyahava because she successfully seer called.

Reluctantly, I revealed to Lost Ninja the night I died, even though technically it was the right play in most cases. I should have trusted my instincts and not revealed at all. We might have been able to pull it out.

Once the Morticians are dead, all bets are off, in games like this they are MORE important than regular seers, IMHO.

Assuran on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    My vote record was impeccable.
    Day 1: SeGaTai
    Day 2: DemonIzual
    Day 3: Phyphor (swing and a miss)
    Day 4: Gizzy (had CJ before the seer call)
    Day 5: jdarksun
    and then I was dead

I only missed mafia one right. I was some kind of idiot savant with public voting.

One thing I'm glad I didn't do though, the night I died, before the results were posted I was going to send something to GG and Lost Ninja telling them that other than ahava who had just seered me, they were the only two who knew I was a healer, so to look the other way if I had died. Glad I didn't, as the whole network found out who I was and it would have just fired off a vote onto GG almost immediately.

Also, I felt bad for everyone who kept getting statue'ed. I tried to heal you all to make sure people were only just losing a day, but losing Preda Day 2 made that worse since I didn't have someone else I could coordinate with to be more efficient.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I recognize my tone with @Brody was a bit asshole-ish in my roleplay of a king.
    I apologize if I bummed you out at any point.
    I can do better job walking that line of having fun and keeping the game positive
    I hope you had a good time with the game

Mostly I was just annoyed, and wanting you to prove it somehow.

Also, I totally had CJ targeted, just because he felt iffy, but that last minute switch by SLyM was too much.

And holy shit it was terrifying confirming to H3, Martoss, and separately Austin that I was a summon w/o any way for them to confirm abilities.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    And holy shit it was terrifying confirming to H3, Martoss, and separately Austin that I was a summon w/o any way for them to confirm abilities.

I was actually meaning to make a comment about this as well.

Next game, the 4 of us need to start a "new player" network day 1. Try it and just hope for the best (i.e. that one of us isn't mafia).

This game was honestly a lot more fun since I was actively talking with people on the side, and that's really hard to get into right away as a newer player. A lot of you have played together for a while, and I think it makes you more suspicious of newer people who you don't feel like you've figured out their playstyle yet.

Not a bad thing, probably safer, just after this game I certainly experienced more of the game as a villager when there were networking options as opposed to the past few where I've been a villager generally on my own (and yes, I know a good portion of this is my fault, which is what I tried to fix this game)

My wife was getting a little annoyed with how often my phone was going off.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

Also, @38thDoe , thank you so much for running this, it was super fun. I don't think it was overly unbalanced, it was just unlucky losing all the summons without them getting much work done.

• MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    I'm really curious what made the mafia target me when they did. I'd revealed my identity to MrT that day and was absolutely convinced that I had outed myself to a mafia. I didn't declare my kill in the thread for 2 reasons: First, my color was slightly different from village green and I wasn't even sure at first if I was SK or village and I figured others might have the same worry (MrT indicated that Cythraul's mason was skeptical). Second, assuming the village did believe me, I was concerned that having a public face to a network would kill conversation.

As for this game, one of the funnest I've had in a while. I really liked that everyone was named and had something going on (death millers, kings, etc.). That seems to drive discussion behind the scenes, and I suspect healthy soft networks lead to healthy public discussions. Also my role PM conversation was amusing to me:
    38thDoe April 26
    You are...

Bahamut

The Hallowed Father... The First Sire, Hallowed Father to all Eidolons, watches over his children from on high. So indomitable is His strength that He has never known defeat. None could hope to emerge victorious against Him, save perhaps a warrior capable of rising to the heavens in order to deliver the felling stroke. You will do what you must to stop this paltry band of fools from disrupting the order on the blue planet.

Abilities -
    Countdown - Prepare Megaflare
    Megaflare - Incinerate Target

Win condition: Eliminate all threats to the world.

Megafrost April 26
    Am I a vig, or an sk?

38thDoe April 26
    I'll give you victory either way!

38thDoe April 26
    I mean who's going to argue with Megaflare?

Megafrost April 26
    I don't have megaflare and I will megaflare anyone that says otherwise.

Oh yeah.

Day 1: Countdown

Megafrost April 28
    Placeholder Day 2: MEGAFLARE!!!!! on...... Kime

38thDoe April 28
    Everything's mega with you.

Megafrost April 28
    Dare I ask how my megaflare's megaflair will show up in narration?

38thDoe April 28
    That's a question you should ask yourself Megafrost.

Megafrost April 28
    No! I'll crush you with my FLARE HANDS!

38thDoe April 28
    If I wasn't such a respectable outfit, that's how it'd show up in narration.

Megafrost April 28
    Move my day 2 kill to McKid