As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[phalla] Final Fantasy IV: Know Suffering, Know Death, Know Mafia Victory

• Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Thanks for running 38th! I had a blast.

Also, MrT soft network = 100% village!

• Options
    MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    I was absolutely paranoid you were mafia when I died right after I revealed to you. Ha.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Speaking of @Infidel I think its hilarious that in my first main game, Sigil: City of Doors, Infidel died pretty much the exact same way.
    Poisoned, and couldn't get a heal to save his life. Literally the exact same death.
    Mafia uses poison on the infidel.
    SUPER EFFECTIVE!

It's me, no one will trust me with a heal unless I'm publicly confirmed, and even then it's only a maybe.

Gotta take care of myself!

Managed to kill Cecil, so that was nice.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    @38thDoe Oh yes, and it's a little awkward having a win condition where you must protect someone, but you have no means of doing so. Would say that a win condition around survival of another should mean you either have an ability that helps or know who they are.

Thanks for the game man.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    My softnetwork was also 100% village. I was going to reach out to you, but it ended up not mattering, because I died super fast.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »
    @38thDoe Oh yes, and it's a little awkward having a win condition where you must protect someone, but you have no means of doing so. Would say that a win condition around survival of another should mean you either have an ability that helps or know who they are.

Thanks for the game man.

That's fair. I think when I was adjusting Kain my thought was to add something in to protect the village from you just basically being another mafia kill. Then I didn't want to add anything else to the role because I thought the jump was Over Powered.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Thanks for running this!

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I'm not used to huge games/reveal-on-death games, so 2 mafia kills per night feels like a lot, but maybe it's correct for this ratio of town/scum. FOUR mafia kills per night seems way too much, and that's roughly what they started with - poison and stone are basically extra kills.

Fry on
  • Options
    Well, excepts the village had anti-poison/stone, as well as the option to poison at least.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Megafrost wrote: »
    I'm really curious what made the mafia target me

You had good vote placement on Deamon which made you seem super village. Also from the thread conversation I assumed you were networked with MrT (who I also targeted but ZH had a guard on him so no kill)

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    Gizzy wrote: »
    Megafrost wrote: »
    I'm really curious what made the mafia target me

You had good vote placement on Deamon which made you seem super village. Also from the thread conversation I assumed you were networked with MrT (who I also targeted but ZH had a guard on him so no kill)

I figured thats what got me killed as well? I constantly went back and forth afterwords on thinking Martoss was mafia, but being dead I couldn't say anything one way or another.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I thought you seemed very helpful and were tracking all the details of the game with close attention as well as providing vote counts - so you had to die :p

Gizzy on
  • Options
    Yeah, I was worried about being so vocal while also being a Vig, but I was really bored at work, so I figured since I was making list for myself to keep track, might as well just post it.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Well, excepts the village had anti-poison/stone, as well as the option to poison at least.

Right, but the village's healing options don't necessarily get to coordinate with each other, let alone coordinate with the people who were dying, and the mafia gets perfect coordination.

• Options
    Fry wrote: »
    Brody wrote: »

Right, but the village's healing options don't necessarily get to coordinate with each other, let alone coordinate with the people who were dying, and the mafia gets perfect coordination.

We were pretty close up until I died. I was in contact with one of the healers and one of the poison's, and we were trying to bring Preda in the night I died.

• Options
    I think we have more kills to balance the soft networking dynamic. Half the game takes place behind the scene in PMs. Fewer kills would stretch the game out longer and I think would result in village wins most of the time. That whole concept is why most people dislike vanilla games.

• Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Thanks, Doe! I was actually one of our morticians, and I cleared LostNinja (or at least his corpse) very early on, so I trusted him and was in contact with him constantly.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Gizzy wrote: »
    I think we have more kills to balance the soft networking dynamic. Half the game takes place behind the scene in PMs. Fewer kills would stretch the game out longer and I think would result in village wins most of the time. That whole concept is why most people dislike vanilla games.

Do most people dislike vanilla games?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I thought so. There seems to be a lot of inactivity during them, and a lot of complaining after they are over.

(I will say that I find it refreshing to have one in the middle of crazy games just to have a break but still play at the same time. But engagement and conversations seems low during them.)

Gizzy on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Speaking of @Infidel I think its hilarious that in my first main game, Sigil: City of Doors, Infidel died pretty much the exact same way.
    Poisoned, and couldn't get a heal to save his life. Literally the exact same death.
    Mafia uses poison on the infidel.
    SUPER EFFECTIVE!

It's me, no one will trust me with a heal unless I'm publicly confirmed, and even then it's only a maybe.

Gotta take care of myself!

Managed to kill Cecil, so that was nice.
    YOU DICK!!

HOW YOU GUNNA STAB A GUY THATS MADE OF STONE!? SWORDS DONT EVEN WORK THAT WAY!!!

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

Recent history says yes. Activity in non-vanilla games is much higher than in any of the vanilla runs. More conversation, more PMs, people seem happier at the end.

• Options
    I guess I always get lost on the distinction between vanilla and non-vanilla. Although some of that might be from only having read/participated in the last three games.

• Options
    Vanilla is mafia vs village with specials being basic stuff like seer, guard, vig, mason.

This was more like a battle game where everyone gets to do a thing.

• Options
    @38thdoe what was my new power going to be?

I had a roleblock day 1 and I was supposed to get something else if I renounced the darkness. Then I got stoned and stabbed.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    You would have had an every day kill.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options

Recent history says yes. Activity in non-vanilla games is much higher than in any of the vanilla runs. More conversation, more PMs, people seem happier at the end.

This game had 986 comments.
    Jurassic Park (pretty vanilla) had 447.
    Although with me it might be hard to tell which way the game will tip. I usually end up reading messages to the effect of well this game seems pretty vanilla so...

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    What i am hearing is that infidel and whoever stoned me gets ALL THE GRUDGES!!!

• Options
    Also, before this Phalla, I had no idea that FFIV was sponsored by DARE.

• Options
    Bedlam wrote: »
    What i am hearing is that infidel and whoever stoned me gets ALL THE GRUDGES!!!

The person who stoned you saved your life. The real villain is the person who cured you so that you could be killed by Infidel.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    The person who stoned you saved your life. The real villain is the person who cured you so that you could be killed by Infidel.

Not it! Sorry, I healed Grunt that night to confirm who I was.

If Preda and I had talked before, though, I'm guessing I would have been the one to do it, because other than Grunt, I was planning on just trying to focus on fixing statues the whole time (partially because I assumed only villagers/monsters would be stoned, and partially so that people could get back into the game to play)

• Options
    I'm glad that everything worked out on many layers to allow me to at least kill Cecil. :bzz:

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    I'm glad that everything worked out on many layers to allow me to at least kill Cecil. :bzz:
    Y3A7foH.jpg

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

You have no idea how frustrating that is to learn.

• Options

You have no idea how frustrating that is to learn.

Although big games have higher activity too. If you pull out all the stops and get 50 people or so you'll usually have activity coming out the wazoo Just because people haven't seen eachother in ahwile etc. Theme is important too.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    so basically don't bother with a straight up vanilla game with a casual (mafiaville) type theme because otherwise people won't like it?

I'm very much feeling a "get off my lawn" moment coming.

• Options
    So hey, I am crazy busy and thus haven't worked enough on the statblock rewrite for some time, but I still have that functioning PHA/LLA code, and I did reuse it to run a forum game, Iteration 1.

Time for an Iteration 2? If someone(s) want to organize and design the game that fits within the boundaries, I can code and host it I think.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    I just ran a vanilla game and it went fine. Let's not doom and gloom everything?
    Hmph. Old People.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I just ran a vanilla game and it went fine. Let's not doom and gloom everything?
    Hmph. Old People.

I think calling this a vanilla game is a bit of a stretch. It practically had every special power in the book. Not saying that's a bad thing, but not really what I'd call vanilla.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    Sorry, I was talking about Jurassic Park.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    I think they work when nothing has been run at all for a while.

I ran a vanilla game after yours that was virtually conversation challenged.

I think vanilla games work but they need a good setting and need there to not have been a vanilla game in a while