As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Programming] Mirror, mirror, on the wall, show the git diff for them all

• gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    I love how I get internal emails saying "Confidential only! Company doing thing! Do not share!" and I can find the exact announcement on the net ten minutes later. I think Ars Technica is reading the emails before I do.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    gavindel wrote: »
    I love how I get internal emails saying "Confidential only! Company doing thing! Do not share!" and I can find the exact announcement on the net ten minutes later. I think Ars Technica is reading the emails before I do.

Do you work for my company.

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    gavindel wrote: »

Do you work for my company.

I think that's every company

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Now I'm trying to figure out what company you work for based on Ars headlines.

steam_sig.png
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Wait is gavin the one who works for citrix?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    I work as a technoshaman at a multinational conglomeration of synergy boosting efficiency platform production tools. I wanted to be a decker, but the only intern openings were for harnessing the black ERP beasts which slumber beneath the seas.

...Will I get in trouble if I imply that Satya Nadella is a high level dragon?

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Man, I really want to play in a Shadowrun game now.

edited May 2016
    LD50 wrote: »
    Man, I really want to play in a Shadowrun game now.

It may be a dystopia, but I get a stock package!

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular

Well, I updated policy on PAdev and some other servers, hopefully that protects for now.

Will have to check when they put out a tester PoC.

OrokosPA.png
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    It has been a while since I've done straight C. Nice to see I'm still making the same mistakes.

• zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »

Well, I updated policy on PAdev and some other servers, hopefully that protects for now.

Are you guys still on linode? If you can be arsed, dump that shit and move to scaleway. It's just too cheap for anything hobby.

zeeny wrote: »

Are you guys still on linode? If you can be arsed, dump that shit and move to scaleway. It's just too cheap for anything hobby.

holy shit I can like triple my server power for the same cost

how in the world are they cheaper

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    It's online.net baby. They are big, their servers are great and they are cheap.

Oh I need an invitation.

What is this, 2005?

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Who needs classes when you have anonymous structs.

I do miss casting everything to void *

Everything's an object!

bowen wrote: »
    Oh I need an invitation.

What is this, 2005?

Are they still doing this? I thought they were open sign up now;o/ They had invitation process until a couple of months ago, so they can control availability, but I didn't realize that's still the case. I can invite if you want, PM me if it's not coming up by the regular channel.

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Oh I need an invitation.

What is this, 2005?

Are they still doing this? I thought they were open sign up now;o/ They had invitation process until a couple of months ago, so they can control availability, but I didn't realize that's still the case. I can invite if you want, PM me if it's not coming up by the regular channel.

Took a quick look, but what are their datacenter options?

OrokosPA.png
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Everything's an object sequence of bytes!

• amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Except the internet. It's a series of tubes.

steam_sig.png
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Except the internet. It's a series of tubes a big truck, something you just dump something on.

edited May 2016
    Oh I need an invitation.

What is this, 2005?

Took a quick look, but what are their datacenter options?

It's all in France, afaik.

Edit: https://www.scaleway.com/faq/general/ aye.

zeeny on
  • Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    whee! My final final test ever today! Already queueing up projects, some with more clarity on specifics than others.

I've got a bunch of Udacity courses queued up - intro to operating systems, intro to programming languages, already started on intro to data analysis and have the rest of their data analysis and ML and NLP stuff queued up.

Going to finally get more in tune with current front end js stuff... gulp, babeljs, etc. Probably will run through the Udacity course on that plus hit the front end guys here at work with questions and figure out something to do for a project.

Definitely going to do something with Elixir and Phoenix and think I have a plan for that.

Want to do something with React Native... I'm currently thinking maybe a simple mobile app for working with the digital ocean api.

Want to play with Pyglet maybe... not sure on that.

Want to do something with C or C++, but not sure... perhaps a simple game of some sort? Not even sure where to start there. Would love to do a simple Roguelike sort of thing, but I might be getting way ahead of myself there.

Same boat for something with C# but with a better chance of having pretty pictures.

Something with Go? Rust? No idea beyond I want to fiddle. I might just do a chain of basic algorithm shit with some of these languages just to play.

I'll definitely have some C/C++ dev environment questions. Probably initially want to set up to be working on Win 10 but able to build for multiplatform. OSX and Linux dev environments are also an option, I have a macbook from work, for anything console only I can use my toy server for Linux stuff or setup a local VM for something fancier. Just trying to avoid VM out of laziness plus old computer and OSX due to not really liking to do much work on the laptop display and keyboard vs hooking up to real monitor, etc.

Jimmy King on
  • EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    Jimmy King wrote: »
    I'll definitely have some C/C++ dev environment questions. Probably initially want to set up to be working on Win 10 but able to build for multiplatform. OSX and Linux dev environments are also an option, I have a macbook from work, for anything console only I can use my toy server for Linux stuff or setup a local VM for something fancier. Just trying to avoid VM out of laziness plus old computer and OSX due to not really liking to do much work on the laptop display and keyboard vs hooking up to real monitor, etc.

VisualStudio is still my initial recommendation when it comes to C++ editors. As far as building multiplatform, do you want to build binaries on Windows that will execute on Linux/OSX, or do you just want to write code that 'could' be built on those OS's?

Ethea wrote: »
    Jimmy King wrote: »

VisualStudio is still my initial recommendation when it comes to C++ editors. As far as building multiplatform, do you want to build binaries on Windows that will execute on Linux/OSX, or do you just want to write code that 'could' be built on those OS's?

Ideally build the bins on Windows, but it's hardly a critical thing. I'm just getting a rough idea of what I can/should do and making way more plans than I really will have time for. Ideally I'd be compiling using gcc in the end, but especially early on, even that isn't critical. I mostly just want to keep my C skills from totally falling apart and build some more C and C++ knowledge and am generally a Linux guy as far as dev goes.

edited May 2016
    Help, I'm having a problem with my ASP.net website.
    I moved it from an old, getting retired server to a new one. It went mostly without hitch. However, I've got at least one user at one of our remote sites who's getting an error. The error they're getting is a sqlclient exception, that login failed for the user.
    Here's the weird thing. The user that the login is failing for, is the AD service account that application pool for that site runs as to access the database. They authenticate to the website as their AD account, but it runs as the service account.
    The double weird thing, is that so far it's worked fine for everyone else.
    The triple weird thing, is that the site runs at least 2 queries against the same database before reaching the part where it's claiming to fail.
    Also, I had the DBA check the server, and there's no login failures for that account in the logs.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    Here's the weird thing. The user that the login is failing for, is the AD service account that application pool for that site runs as to access the database. They authenticate to the website as their AD account, but it runs as the service account.

You should probably fix that part first, before attempting to troubleshoot or fix anything else.

You should probably fix that part first, before attempting to troubleshoot or fix anything else.

Fix what part? That's working as designed.

steam_sig.png
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Filemaker problem time:

I have a form from a website that spits out a bunch of information to a Filemaker database. There are 600 or so variables, all answers to this giant survey.

What we've got working right now is
    Perform Script ["GetCell"; Parameter: List ("AZ1"; $scriptparam)]
    Set Field [ABCD::AZ1; Get(ScriptResult)]

So you get the cell info from this giant infodump by running "GetCell" with the input of what field you're looking for, and the whole shebang of the data.

Then you set the field that matches that data with the script result.

So far, so good.

The thing is, I want to do this like... 500+ times. And I don't want to do it by using this awful IDE to hand-select each goddamn field for 1000 lines of redundant code.

I'm having trouble figuring out how I can use Filemaker to essentially write:
    for(i = 1; 1:10){
    Perform Script ["GetCell"; Parameter: List (Paste("AZ", i); $scriptparam)]
    Set Field [ABCD::Paste(AZ, i); Get(ScriptResult)]
    }

I just want to increment, and change field Blah + i for a given record each time. Blah1 = a, Blah2 = b, Blah3 = c, etc.

All the built-in assumptions seem to be that you're only ever going to increment across records, never fields. It is infuriating. Filemaker is infuriating!

Edit: Wait, I think I have what I need to do most of this.
    Set Variable [$Count; Value: 0]
    Loop
    Exit Loop If [$Count = 10]
    Perform Script ["GetCell"; Parameter: List ("AZ"&$Count; $scriptparam)]
    Set Field By Name ["ABCD::" & "AZ" & $Count; Get(ScriptResult)]
    Set Variable [$Count; Value: $Count + 1]
    End Loop

So yeah it's still going to be a little annoying because I'll need to alter the character portions of the field IDs, but at least I can go 1-20 on these things automatically, instead of assigning them all individually.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited May 2016

It shouldn't be using the same account as an actual user to access database stuff.

It's also likely the cause of your issues, seeing as how no other user is having problems.

Why? I dunno, maybe they changed something in the underlying protocol that wouldn't fire off warnings. (which would explain why the new server has issues but not the old one)

bowen on
    edited May 2016

It shouldn't be using the same account as an actual user to access database stuff.

It's also likely the cause of your issues, seeing as how no other user is having problems.

Why? I dunno, maybe they changed something in the underlying protocol that wouldn't fire off warnings. (which would explain why the new server has issues but not the old one)

I might not have been clear. The user enters their AD information into the login form, which it checks against the domain to verify their credentials are correct. Then it runs queries against the application DB to check if they have access (this being the queries that are being run as the service account that it later claims couldn't log in). That information goes into session variables, but their AD account isn't involved past that point.

And as I said, for the several other people who've used it since the move it's worked fine.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    Oh you made it seem like the entire system used that specific person's AD credentials and they were also a service account.

That's a bizarre bug, maybe make a copy of the user in AD and see if it happens for that user too.

Okay, after some fiddling around here's some things I've found.
    Preface: I did not create this application or set it up initially, I inherited it.
    There's two different views the users can have, a detail, and a dashboard view. On the old server (which used a wide open sql service account, not the very limited AD service account I have running on the new server) everything works as it has been for the past few years.

On the new server, the dashboard view does not work. Technically, I can get the dashboard view to work to work if I'm coming from the old EMR we used to use here at our local hospitals, there's just no results since those have been out of use for almost 2 years. If it set it to be one of the remote sites, it fails with the error that it couldn't log in the user.

The detail view works fine. The detail view queries the exact same table/view as the dashboard view.
    :rotate:

steam_sig.png
    edited May 2016
    Mystery (mostly) solved!

The view it was hitting was accessing another table on a different server. I didn't know this (I don't actually have access to those tables, because nothing on the database side of this has changed in 3 years or would probably ever change, why would I? :rotate: ) so I didn't ask for it when getting the account provisioned.

This doesn't explain why querying that same view for the detail view didn't cause the same error*, but at least I've fixed it.

If the stupid exception had actually put the name of the server/database it was failing to log in to I might have saved 4 hours.

*Not being able to look at exactly how it's built, my working theory is that based on the information the detail mode used, the query optimizer decided that table wasn't even needed before running the query that builds the view.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    Off to take the final final!

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i finally got around to getting Qt5 set up and running

this is... actually pleasant!?

im only using QWidgets though. I'm not sure I ever want to touch their HTML/CSS stuff

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Hey programming thread, seems like it's been eons since I've posted here. How have you guys been? I'm glad to see some familiar names like Honky and Bowen are still running around.

Anyway, I am curious if there's a better way to do something. I need to do some best-effort deduplication of some strings at a decent rate/sec. By "best-effort" i mean that false negatives (not detecting a duplicate string) are okay, in fact they are unavoidable because I can't track things forever and I have no guarantee of order. But false positives, more than astronomically rare, are unacceptable.

Right now I'm doing a Base64 encoding of the SHA256 of the string (not just naive hex to save ~1/3 the bytes but still keep it ascii). I'm using these hashes as keys in a Guava Cache with a reasonable time expiration (as the messages, while not in order, have some amount of temporal locality). All the values are just boolean true's. I lose the cache on a restart / code update, so I expect to let some duplicates through when this happens.

Is there a better tool than a Guava Cache for this sort of thing? Should I try to use Guava's weak key feature instead of / as well as a time-based expiration? One might consider offloading this onto another service like Redis but for now the false negatives on restart probably didn't justify propping something separate up. Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing or any advice for me?

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Anyone want to work devops with me? Everyone I work with doesn't seem interested and I am slowlydefinitely drowning under the amount of shit that needs to be worked on.

*sob*

Anyone want to work devops with me? Everyone I work with doesn't seem interested and I am slowlydefinitely drowning under the amount of shit that needs to be worked on.

*sob*

Hahahahahaha... haha..

oh god

This discussion has been closed.