As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[phalla] Final Fantasy IV: Know Suffering, Know Death, Know Mafia Victory

1202122232426»

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    They can be cathartic after fairly insane ones. Especially after running one.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I think vanilla games suffer because only the specials have any reason to network, and the mafia prefer people not talking in thread.

There's also not much to talk about without vanillagers just brazenly accusing people for no reason.
    All you can do is analyse the vote and death record otherwise, and that doesn't usually bear fruit until a couple of days in. And even then, that's all known information so there may not be anything to add to the conversation by the time you post.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    You have to be more creative as a vanilla player to have a good time in those games, and sometimes you don't have that spark

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm thinking of ways to light all of you on fire.

Just fyi.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    so basically don't bother with a straight up vanilla game with a casual (mafiaville) type theme because otherwise people won't like it?

I'm very much feeling a "get off my lawn" moment coming.

old.jpg

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular

Just fyi.

I've had a lot of fun in some of the vanilla games you've run in the past.
    It's a good style of game to have in the mix, definitely.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    so basically don't bother with a straight up vanilla game with a casual (mafiaville) type theme because otherwise people won't like it?

I'm very much feeling a "get off my lawn" moment coming.

We're relics from a forgotten age, ahava. Like those vampires in Underworld who are out of touch with the youngins but not as powerful as the old dude in the ground that gets woken up and kills everyone.
    That's Infidel. Basically Infidel is Bill Nighy

• Options
    The age before murderbot
    and the age after.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Just fyi.

I've had a lot of fun in some of the vanilla games you've run in the past.
    It's a good style of game to have in the mix, definitely.

lots and lots of fire.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I think vanillas work with low numbers, like 20 people. With that, have vote, vig, and mafia kill and 4 mafia and the game goes fast enough that people don't lose interest and with the low numbers, being able to look back at people's post isn't super time consuming. Any larger and you risk a lot of people with little to do.

Larger Phalla need mechanics like this game or some sort of combat system so that people can have stuff to do behind the scenes. Having factions works well too.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    My wife said I was an idiot to try and run a game with a two year old and a two week old. She's smarter than I am. I have not been getting enough sleep even before I was staying up to write narration and such. When I get an idea about a game, I either sit on it and never do it, or just jam it out and run it then. I decided to go with option B, and maybe close vote early enough to get some sleep. This did not happen. Despite that, I think this game went pretty well with a couple of exceptions.

The one major exception is that I apparently worded the mafia's role pm terribly. They misunderstood 3/6 of their powers. Again, I'm sorry for this. Its tough to find the right balance as a host between making sure things run smoothly and interfering with the game. After seeking advice from other hosts, I did not preemptively say anything to the mafia or anyone else about power use, but clarified every question asked.

I didn't expect station composition to be investigated any more than "Wow 38th plays too much Dwarf Fortress". Just trying to do something interesting with narration.

Village inactivity hurt, especially with the seer going inactive. I did pass on wildcat's power usage to @lonelyahava but wildcat's ability was blocked day 1 and and day 2 he did not activate it.

I'm going to touch on a comment that was made earlier about fake seer calling ruining phalla. I don't think that's true. Unless you are playing against your win con, breaking an obvious rule in the OP or going against the spirit of what you should know, I think anything is fair game. Granted if you try things too many times you may be known for it and killed for it. Baidol and survival neutraling for example. I can't see people refusing to play because something shook up the meta.

I have to apologize again for anything unclear in pms, or whatnot. I am, again sleeping very little these days.

No regrets.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    I think vanillas work with low numbers, like 20 people. With that, have vote, vig, and mafia kill and 4 mafia and the game goes fast enough that people don't lose interest and with the low numbers, being able to look back at people's post isn't super time consuming. Any larger and you risk a lot of people with little to do.

Larger Phalla need mechanics like this game or some sort of combat system so that people can have stuff to do behind the scenes. Having factions works well too.

I think this is exacerbated by general low activity in larger games (that in order to get larger necessarily end up enrolling less enthusiastic/obsessive players). When people don't comment much and you have no mechanical way to interact with the game it's hard to do serious sleuthing and the end result is the standard "cull the inactive" which isn't particularly interesting.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Vanilla games can still be interesting. I really liked Sir Fabs recent game, it was basic in powers but did things with a bit of a twist to keep from being stale had an interesting theme to accompany it.

Also people keep complaining that the community isn't as strong as it once was and doing simple games give newer players a chance to dip a toe in without feeling completely overwhelmed.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Vanilla games can still be interesting. I really liked Sir Fabs recent game, it was basic in powers but did things with a bit of a twist to keep from being stale had an interesting theme to accompany it.

Also people keep complaining that the community isn't as strong as it once was and doing simple games give newer players a chance to dip a toe in without feeling completely overwhelmed.

This. I've been playing for a few months now, and am just now feeling confident enough to participate in a more complex game. If there were no vanilla games, I probably never would have given it a try.

• Options
    Also its a format where anyone can participate, so if you don't like the games being hosted shut up a do better.

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    .... I've just been winging it :)

Bring on the complex games. I may not have any real gameplay skills, but I'm jumping in and probably making a mess of it!

That said, I do wish there was a good way to try and recruit new people into the mix while keeping the game interesting enough that the more experienced people want to play. Maybe more faction/team games where newbies can ask questions/advice from people they are paired with.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Every once in a while I'll really analyze things and try to figure stuff out. I think I do a decent job at that. Most of the time, though, I just wing it too :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Not going to lie, there are times I vote based entirely on how evil and mafia like someone's avatar is.

Sorry Infedel and Jdark...

• Options
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Not going to lie, there are times I vote based entirely on how evil and mafia like someone's avatar is.

Says the guy with the evil Hollow avatar.

Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »
    LostNinja wrote: »

Says the guy with the evil Hollow avatar.

Yeah, but I mean I know I'm not evil.

• Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    Kime used to say the same thing...

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    Always trust LostNinja!

• Options
    GarickGarick Registered User regular
    Noooo, I missed the FF4 phalla?!? That was my favorite FF. I demand you run it again!

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I mean, if we run vanillas which generally have the same roles is there a huge reason besides lack of interest that some of the more complicated games can't get rerun with balance changes

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    That sounds like a good idea to me, some of the cooler themes could use a reboot imo.

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    I personally would love it, given I haven't gotten to participate in any of those previous games.

• Options
    Yeah I don't see why we don't re-run games. If a game is popular than go for it.

• Options
    So everyone's excited for Saved by the Bell: The College Years phalla then?
    Right?

(I kid, I kid)

• Options
    If we make it to Dustin Diamonds sex tape Im quitting forever.

• Options
    Oh totally

*scratches Celebrities with Sex Tapes Phalla off idea list*

• Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    I love the idea of re-using themes, with or without new/vanilla mechanics.

• Options
    it's ben about 7 years since my Wizard of Oz and Lion, Witch, Wardrobe games.

7 years and about 4 computers...

I could try to rework those, I guess.

You're not getting another vampire dominance game. The old one was too perfect

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    No such thing as too many V:TM games. We're at, what, four and counting?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    it's ben about 7 years since my Wizard of Oz and Lion, Witch, Wardrobe games.

7 years and about 4 computers...

I could try to rework those, I guess.

You're not getting another vampire dominance game. The old one was too perfect

I remember the Wizard of Oz game! I was something special. The vig, maybe? And I think a witch turned me into a frog for a day or something where I couldn't talk?

I feel like you got mad at me afterwards as I became confirmed and role-called the village. Or maybe I'm remembering another game :P

Steam profile
  • Options
    i think that was it. Or Narnia. i can't remember. lol

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    You are:

The wicked witch of the west!

Abilities: Flying Monkeys: Choose 3 targets to remove from the game a night.

Win Condition: Avoid contact with the most common substance on the planet. Also its in the air. You are mostly made out of it. Ooh. Bad news on that one.

The Dead:

You - The wicked witch of the west! - Logic

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    and I was messaging LN going all "TRUST NOBODY, EVERYBODY IS LYING"

I swear my paranoia was hitting many high notes in this game.

but games with millers do that.

s'why i went for Gizzy. Her posts flagged her for me, then the seer result. I had to have her voted out because my paranoia had me not trusting the host.

my seer on austin had been on cj. but i changed it. should trust my instincts more.

You asked for are you reliable, are there millers/thralls,etc.
    I wanted to say yes you are reliable, as in you don't get random answers or paranoid seer or some such, but I'm not sure how saying you are reliable interacts with thralls/millers.

You did exactly what you should have done. You denied both.

also, dammit @wildcat Never target @Infidel on day 1!! It will always be useless! he will always be guarded or blocked or killed. lol.

I forgot that @Infidel is literally the worst goose.