As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Charcuterie 101 - The Silence you hear is the meat deliciousifying...

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    The salt itself is fine, the only difference would be any anti caking agent in the kosher. If the grind is the same it ought to measure out the same. If it's by weight then it'll be the same.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    hmm been rather sparse with meat posts and photos.. .been smoking and cooking almost all winter since it has been so mild, had maybe 3 weeks where I wasn't using the smoker.

namely, ribs and pulled pork lately. I have a contact who should be able to hook me up with briskets, and working on getting some hunters to hook me up with game meats for jerky goodness. Next time I cook i'll do up some more pictures.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Urgent!

Can someone tell me if this is the proper color of a brisket that has been in brine for 5 days per TheGreatCow?!

fhpu05ymn1uz.jpg

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    If you didn't use any nitrates it'll be gray. The great cow recipe doesn't have any so that color looks right.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    Thank you!

I used Himalayan pink salt which I've found isn't the same thing

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Random bacon question, as reading this has me intensely curious about the process: does bacon have to cure in a fridge? Mine isn't big enough to hold a pork belly for a week in addition to the rest of the household food, but we do have a moderately insulated "cold" room in the basement that, unfortunately, doesn't keep as cold once summer temperatures hit.

Can the cured pork bellies spend their baggie week in a room like that, or do they need to be in the temperatures a fridge can provide?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    AFAIK no, you need a cold area.

Picking up a small fridge for this wouldn't be out of the question.

Edit: ultimately it's about moisture control too, so you'll need a fridge that can pull moisture out.

This is actually the best thing I've found for 'hobbyist' curing:
    https://www.steaklocker.com/store/shop/

Aside from this you get into professional curing fridges/chambers which are in the 10s of thousands.

Double Edit: but for bacon you can deffo cure in a normal fridge, so, pick up a tiny one I guess!

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Ok, so for bacon I'm fine with a normal fridge, but I'll need something with more moisture controls for bigger projects, got it.

There's a small butcher shop right outside my train station, I might have to see if they have any curing supplies and cuts I could use...

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I didn't realize there was a thread for this!

Tonight I will attempt my laziest beef jerky yet:

1.5 lb of pre-marinated carne asada from the grocery store
    2 tsb liquid smoke
    1 Habanero
    1/2 cup orange juice

Do you think it will work out? Anything I should add?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Urgent!

Can someone tell me if this is the proper color of a brisket that has been in brine for 5 days per TheGreatCow?!

fhpu05ymn1uz.jpg

Aye I'm so sorry I haven't been active, work has been nearly killing me repeatedly. Yes that will be the normal color for any meat you cure without nitrates. It's basically the beef oxidizing there. Did you fully submerge it with a plate or was it floating on the top of the brine?

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Urgent!

fhpu05ymn1uz.jpg

Aye I'm so sorry I haven't been active, work has been nearly killing me repeatedly. Yes that will be the normal color for any meat you cure without nitrates. It's basically the beef oxidizing there. Did you fully submerge it with a plate or was it floating on the top of the brine?

it was fully submerged with a bowl on top (you can kind of see where)

also, it was delicious!

I didn't realize that Himalayan pink salt isn't the same as the nitrate having pink salt

• Options
    So I finally have the time and materials to start making bacon. One small thing, however - the smallest belly I could get from my local butcher was 7 pounds, and I'll need to cut it up in order to fit it into freezer bags. I suppose I just need to keep a closer eye on them in the fridge, as they won't take a week to cure at thatbsize, I wager.

• Options
    So the bacon finally finished today! Tastes good, which is the main goal. One question, though - The flavoring I mixed with the cure got into the meat ok, but it didn't get into the fat very much. This was a pretty fatty belly that I got this time, which could be one reason, but would taking the skin off BEFORE adding the cure help with that at all? Or should I just put in more flavorings next time?

• Options
    Farangu wrote: »
    So the bacon finally finished today! Tastes good, which is the main goal. One question, though - The flavoring I mixed with the cure got into the meat ok, but it didn't get into the fat very much. This was a pretty fatty belly that I got this time, which could be one reason, but would taking the skin off BEFORE adding the cure help with that at all? Or should I just put in more flavorings next time?

I had the butcher remove the skin when I bought pork belly. Other than the curing did you do anything else for flavor (smoking it perhaps?)

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Been smoking here and there did some more ribs and turkey for Canada Day, turned out awesome as usual. A quick aside that isn't meat related. Been making Basil Pesto with the fresh herbs the wife grows and man that is stupid easy, on top of that i've been making creme brulee lately as well, also stupid easy to do.

So do something nice for your significant other or for yourself. Make some creme brulee . Don't worry if you don't have a torch just melt some sugar in a pot and pour the molten caramalized sugar on top (you don't need much just enough to cover it otherwise you get a thick delicious shell on top... which may be too thick)
    13528653_10157016789230277_5072141882524381886_n.jpg?oh=7dc01902991731f555f019bc70b46b24&oe=57E9B9EB

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    darkmayo wrote: »

I had the butcher remove the skin when I bought pork belly. Other than the curing did you do anything else for flavor (smoking it perhaps?)

No, I don't have a smoker. I just threw in the cure and the spice mix together, let the bag sit while flipping each day, then set it in the oven per the first page.

• Options

No, I don't have a smoker

I am very sorry to hear that.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    I wanted to see how this first batch went before I splurged on speciality equipment. Considering that it turned out nice, it's much more likely.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Hi thread. Quick one for you. Assuming they are refrigerated, but not jarred and covered in a fat cap, how long would you reckon ciccioli and duck rillettes to last? I figure a week, week and a half would be fine.

*disregard, ate it all.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular

No, I don't have a smoker. I just threw in the cure and the spice mix together, let the bag sit while flipping each day, then set it in the oven per the first page.

Aye to further spread the cure, I've found more and more to remove the skin before curing/smoking the belly. I should update the guide to reflect that.

And yeah if you if you ever have the opportunity to get a smoker, even an electric one, it's really wonderful. Adds a really wonderful dimension to your bacon and other meats as well.

• Options
    I did grab a smoker a few weeks ago. Its getting harder to find the time to take the trip to the store to grab the meat, though.

• Options
    Question! Round two of Bacon starts tomorrow. I'm thinking a sweet heat bacon. I want to mix in some sriracha and some orange flavor. Would it be better to go with orange juice, or would something like an orange marmalade transfer flavor effectively?

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    How the hell do you skin the belly?

My first batch of bacon looks like a god damn horror show.

• Options
    How the hell do you skin the belly?

My first batch of bacon looks like a god damn horror show.

with a very sharp bendy long knife. at least that is how I do it.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Im going to smoke some salmon today. I had them in brine overnight, drying out on a rack right now. Using applewood. This is my first time smoking any kind of fish or meat; kind of excited.

• Options
    I am currently in hour two of my first smoke - Bacon cured with some hot sauce and orange juice, and some hickory smoke. I've already learned a bunch of things I shouldn't do next time. One of those is to make sure I use a calibrated thermometer when gauging the smoker temp!

• Options
    Salmons all done! I didnt get to have any fresh out of the smoker; unfortunately i had to duck out for work.

Man, this is amazing. I cook fish quite regularly - usually just in the oven - this is by far the best salmon ive ever had.

For the brine i used salt, then realized i didnt have enough so i substituted soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, and just a little bit of white wine i had left over. Left the salmon in that for about 12 hours.

Then for the smoker i set it at 150 f for 4 hours and then 170 for 2 more. I instructed my family to glaze it with honey when there was still an hour left.

Turned out perfect

• Options
    show off your smoked meats with some photography we all like pictures.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    And samples. We all like samples.

• Options
    ah damn I ate it all

next time!

• Options
    how dare you

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So I got another portion belt from a different butcher and it's already skinned! Round two in making bacon!

Though i kind of wish I had the skin to make chicharones.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Did an evening of games and meats and for a change a non meat. Friend of my wife is a vegetarian so I always try to make something interesting when she is over for these events. Anyways I do a ton of smoking and wanted to get her to enjoy some smokey food. Found a recipe for smoked seitan (pretty much a big hunk of wheat gluten that usually has a meat like texture, you see seitan used as a meat substitute due to the texture and it can be pretty tasty as it absorbs flavors well)

So did a batch of seitan, and some smoked turkey for the rest of the people, meanwhile another person did a brisket and some ribs. (Also made an apple crisp with apples and crabapples from my in-laws fruit trees)

Smoked Seitan, it was interesting last time I had Seitan the texture was much closer to a chicken breast, this one was more spongey before it was smoked, will look for a different recipe to see if I can get that other texture. but it was good and it had a nice sort of crunch to the outside.
    wck4tsocmost.jpg

Brisket and Ribs, it was nice not having to make it myself for a change.. good for my pocket book too cause brisket is $$$
    mju2yiu1jugb.jpg

One of the smoked turkey breasts.. did 4 of them.
    ltydhd7czil9.jpg

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    I was going to say, that first one looks like a loaf of bread.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »

Vital Wheat Gluten, Nutritional yeast, various spices, water, light soysauce mix it all together to make a dough, let it sit for a bit awhile the gluten bonds together form it into a longer roll, cut then simmer in a water/soy sauce mixture for about an hour. It really expands at that point. Then you press the excess water out of it then wrap in plastic and chill for a few hours. After than I put a rub on it and then threw it in the smoker for about an hour 1 and 40 min.

Here was the recipe I used. http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/how-to-make-authentic-smoked-seitan-or-veggie-meat/

and yea .. the author is full of shit. This is about as far away from the taste/feel of a smoked brisket than you can get. Its still tasty though.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    First smoked bacon turned out quite well. Very happy with the flavor of the smoke. Only thing is the other flavorings got a little overpowered by it. Might need to throw a little bit more in with the cure, or stick with lighter woods than hickory.

There's talk of a small labor day get-together and some are starting to look to me for smoked goods.

• Options

Vital Wheat Gluten, Nutritional yeast, various spices, water, light soysauce mix it all together to make a dough, let it sit for a bit awhile the gluten bonds together form it into a longer roll, cut then simmer in a water/soy sauce mixture for about an hour. It really expands at that point. Then you press the excess water out of it then wrap in plastic and chill for a few hours. After than I put a rub on it and then threw it in the smoker for about an hour 1 and 40 min.

Here was the recipe I used. http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/how-to-make-authentic-smoked-seitan-or-veggie-meat/

and yea .. the author is full of shit. This is about as far away from the taste/feel of a smoked brisket than you can get. Its still tasty though.

I like how they put it between some buns.

Want some bread with your bread?

• Options

Oh that's gluten free bread

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options

huh.. how..

what????

• Options

huh.. how..

what????

I have no idea if it is gluten free bread in that photo, but it does exist.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041