As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect - 8 days until you already know what happens from the spoilers you read

• Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    Pancake wrote: »
    Nimble Cat wrote: »
    This game looks pretty sweet. I'm torn between this and Rock Band though.

No you're not.

You already know the right decision. You're already posting in its thread, after all.

I couldn't pick between the two. They're very different from eachother and totally different.

Are you sure they're both very different and totally different?

Either way, Mass Effect is always the right choice.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hahaha, God damn. Wrex tells the most awesome stories. You'll all enjoy them. Make sure you talk to him every now and then on.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Houn wrote: »

Alternative alternative: Do your friends generally regard you as relatively normal human being, with hopes, dreams and desires, or as a soulless shell, devoid of any emotion or empathy, ticking through life on an inevitable downward spiral, that not even death can end, as you died inside long ago?

If the latter, move along, nothing to see here.

I'm a little upset because you totally just described me...
    But Mario Galaxy and Mass Effect will make me feel happiness again.

I went to Toys R Us a few hours ago because I called and they said they had plenty of copies of Mario Galaxy in. I got there and they handed me Mario Galaxy, and I asked if they had Mass Effect. They brought it out of the back and handed it to me.
    I get to the Cashier, Mario Galaxy rings up as "Do not sell until 11/12." Mass Effect rings up as "Do not sell until 11/20"

I HAD THEM IN MY HANDS!!!!!!!!

That's when you fucking run.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Pancake, why would you misquote me
    Shhhhhhhhhh

bruin on
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    That's when you fucking run.

And leave $110 on the counter.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    This may have been answered already, but I haven't seen it.

Does the class custimization ability
    (Where once you unlock an achievement for an ability you can add it to another class)
    require you to finish that playthrough, or do you simply need to unlock it then can start over having access to it?

Morkath on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Morkath wrote: »
    This may have been answered already, but I haven't seen it.

Does the class custimization ability
    (Where once you unlock an achievement for an ability you can add it to another class)
    require you to finish that playthrough, or do you simply need to unlock it then can start over having access to it?

You can start over at any time.
    Singularity Mastery for the win!

Taramoor on
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I don't really understand why they did that. With the unlockable skills or whatever.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Sweet, thanks!
    Trying to decide between Adept with Sniper, or a Vanguard with singularity.

Morkath on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So what do Singularity do? Is it the Dark energy version of the BFG?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Silpheed wrote: »
    So what do Singularity do? Is it the Dark energy version of the BFG?
    Basically creates a tiny black hole that almost all nearby enemies are lifted into the air and forced to orbit around for a few seconds, being completely helpless while they do so. Some enemies, like Krogans or large Geth monstrosities or (very strangely) anything that flies, don't seem to be affected by it. However, maybe my skill level in the thing is too low right now.

Regarding why they did what they did with the achievements, I'd say it was for the following reasons:

1. To make them stand out from other games. Near as I can figure each achievement that's not just a "You got this far in the game" achievement has a specific reward attached to it in addition to gamerpoints.

2. To give you extra customizability with each of your subsequent playthroughs. An Adept who's good with a shotgun, an Infilitrator who can disable enemies by lifting them into the air, a Soldier who can disable all Biotic or Tech abilities in a given radius? Sounds good to me.

3. Because it's awesome.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Just quoting myself to save time:
    So I just put in my first marathon play session yesterday evening (didn't get a chance to play very much at all on Friday) for about 6.5 hours and, well, holy shit.

I don't think any two players are gonna have the exact same story line. Once you get through the Citadel (think of it as the new "Taris" from the first KOTOR - for better or worse), the game LITERALLY just blows up in your face and it's all like "well, hotshot, whattaya gonna do now?"

My face was all like D:D:D:D:D:
    ...and my penis was all like *SHA-WING*

It's both remarkable and a little disconcerting... there is so much to do, so little time.

And I'm starting to feel pretty spiffy about picking the Infiltrator class. I'm also trying to stay Paragon as much as possible although it really is hard to avoid getting a few Renegade points every now and then because someone pisses you off and you're just like "okay, asshole..."

Usually I jump into these Bioware games and I try to be as evil/bad as possible, but I'm taking a different approach this time and saving my "badass" character for seconds.

Also, Accualt's brief list of complaints is pretty much accurate. From a technical standpoint, this game is far from perfect. I'd say the biggest issue is the pop-in. It's like watching the Halo 2 cutscenes, only it's ALL THE TIME.

Don't take that the wrong way, though, it's certain NOT a deal breaker here. Just a slight tarnish on an otherwise GLORIOUS game.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Would someone mind explaining for me what the term "pop-in" refers to?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Gestalt Better Camera

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Would someone mind explaining for me what the term "pop-in" refers to?

I'm assuming it's some kind of swooping camera shit when some kind of conversation script triggers.

But then again I don't have the game so I dunno.

Drez on
  • Options
    AmbivalentAmbivalent Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think he's referring to actual textures and objects just "popping-in" from oblivion. That was the major problem in the halo 2 cutscenes.

Ambivalent on
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, any time you enter a new area or initiate a conversion, you see the raw 3D models first for a brief second and then the various textures load or "pop-in".

If you've played Halo 2 or Oblivion or in some cases Gears of War, you'll know what it is. However, it's much more common here in Mass Effect. But, to be completely honest, when you realize all the stuff that is going on in context, you can kinda shrug it off - its very minor and only affects the presentation.

I swear, I haven't heard my 360 struggle to keep up with a game this much since Oblivion came out. The disc drive sure gets a workout. It's worth it, though - the resulting conversations are pretty wicked and they flow very well with minimal seek/load times. I admit, I couldn't figure out why the conversation system was so hyped in this game for so long - again, I was mostly on a media blackout for a while - but once you see how it works, it's pretty cool how the discussions flow based on your input. And I would LOVE to see Bioware's voice-over budget on paper - it's absolutely insane how much speech was put into this game.

LCDXX on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    LCDXX wrote: »
    Yeah, any time you enter a new area or initiate a conversion, you see the raw 3D models first for a brief second and then the various textures load or "pop-in".

If you've played Halo 2 or Oblivion or in some cases Gears of War, you'll know what it is. However, it's much more common here in Mass Effect. But, to be completely honest, when you realize all the stuff that is going on in context, you can kinda shrug it off - its very minor and only affects the presentation.

I swear, I haven't heard my 360 struggle to keep up with a game this much since Oblivion came out. The disc drive sure gets a workout. It's worth it, though - the resulting conversations are pretty wicked and they flow very well with minimal seek/load times. I admit, I couldn't figure out why the conversation system was so hyped in this game for so long - again, I was mostly on a media blackout for a while - but once you see how it works, it's pretty cool how the discussions flow based on your input. And I would LOVE to see Bioware's voice-over budget on paper - it's absolutely insane how much speech was put into this game.

So it's not like Oblivion where three or so actors were used for most of the voices? I mean, there's a definite difference across the board?

Drez on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So I guess this game will be alright sorta good kinda maybe.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    So it's not like Oblivion where three or so actors were used for most of the voices? I mean, there's a definite difference across the board?

Not at all. At least as far as I've gotten. If they are using the same actors over and again, then someone had the common sense to tell them to "act differently". Also, some of the alien discussions are wicked - like the Hanar and the Elcor races - their dialog is fucking cool because they are, well, alien. For example:
    The Hanar only use first person narrative with family and loved ones, so when you talk with them, they refer to themselves as objects in 3rd person. It makes the conversations interesting. And the Elcor naturally communicate via scent and obscure gestures - both of which make it difficult to talk with other species and convey any tone or inflection - so every sentence that they speak begins with a description of their emotion first, then the gist of their discussion. Basically, they put a lot of effort into making the alien races culturally unique and diverse and it's just a nice touch that really adds to the experience.

I haven't noticed much repetition in VAs at all. However, I do pick up on some of the "Bioware cast" quite a bit - VAs who performed in previous games like KOTOR and Jade Empire are all over the place, but they play different rolls in terms of personality and such.

LCDXX on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Not at all. At least as far as I've gotten. If they are using the same actors over and again, then someone had the common sense to tell them to "act differently". Also, some of the alien discussions are wicked - like the Hanar and the Elcor races - their dialog is fucking cool because they are, well, alien. For example:
    The Hanar only use first person narrative with family and loved ones, so when you talk with them, they refer to themselves as objects in 3rd person. It makes the conversations interesting. And the Elcor naturally communicate via scent and obscure gestures - both of which make it difficult to talk with other species and convey any tone or inflection - so every sentence that they speak begins with a description of their emotion first, then the gist of their discussion. Basically, they put a lot of effort into making the alien races culturally unique and diverse and it's just a nice touch that really adds to the experience.

Heh.

someones been reading their X-Wing books.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »

Heh.

The Gand thing you mean? Yeah one of stackpoles good ideas

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    arod_77 wrote: »

Heh.

The Gand thing you mean? Yeah one of stackpoles good ideas

makes sense though. To do KOTOR would have required going back and reading all those Tales of the Jedi comics, and then the head writer goes and starts writing SW books, and now they're making a big space opera game, they're bound to tweak somethings they pick up that they can use for the game.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

makes sense though. To do KOTOR would have required going back and reading all those Tales of the Jedi comics, and then the head writer goes and starts writing SW books, and now they're making a big space Oprah game, they're bound to tweak somethings they pick up that they can use for the game.
    061112_oprah2.jpg

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Smashism wrote: »

makes sense though. To do KOTOR would have required going back and reading all those Tales of the Jedi comics, and then the head writer goes and starts writing SW books, and now they're making a big space Oprah game, they're bound to tweak somethings they pick up that they can use for the game.
    061112_oprah2.jpg

DAMN YOU FIREFOX SPELL CHECK

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Oh God, my eyes, my beautiful eyes! Purge that abomination with fire!

Silpheed on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Some things can never be unseen. D:

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Some things can never be unseen. D:

1396214591_8732cbcb9b.jpg

Houn on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man...I thought my hype for this game could not be any higher than it already is. Thank you for proving me wrong, gentlemen.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So, has anyone got to Citadel yet? Does it still look bloody massive and pretty?

WMain00 on
  • Options
    Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Tw4win wrote: »
    You know, if I had anything to do over I would have made sure that my purchase of the game yesterday wasn't announced until every single one of you fuckers was able to pick up a game early.

I feel sort of guilty for having the game now...

Apologies. I don't remember posting this.

1) Watch as my best friend's band's first performance is shut down by the cops as they play "I fought the law"
    2) participate in a beer pong tournament, following said performance
    3) Watch in amazement as my 5 foot tall, 100lb girlfriend does shots of Everclear and is still coherent
    4) Realize that I'm 30 and shouldn't be participating in such stuff but still do.

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So, secret classes. Anyone found out what they are yet?

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    No idea about secret classes, but I have been to and moved on from the Citadel. Yes it's massive. But depending on your anticipation for action VS exploration, it can be either REALLY interesting with quests or REALLY boring without any BANG BANG BANG action.

It really reminded me a lot of Taris from the first KOTOR. On one hand it's a great big place to get lost in and do some side questing and lots of exploration and tons of backstory information on the universe and whatnot.

On the other hand, after the first little bit of action in the game, it feels kinda... well, not so exciting.

It's also worth noting that, having read ME: Revelation, I had a totally different mental image of what the Citadel looked like in my head. Bioware pretty much curb-stomped that mental image - the Citadel nothing at all like I expected. It's Citadeler.

LCDXX on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Are the secret classes the specializations? As you level up, you'll eventually get an option to choose a specialization class. Basically, it just adds another talent to your list of talents that you can put points into. For a Soldier, I had the choice between Shock Trooper or Commando.

Shock Trooper is even more of a tank. Putting points into the Shock Trooper talent gives you more health and gives you improved Adrenaline Rush and Immunity skills, which just makes those two recharge faster. Adrenaline Rush recharges all skills, while Immunity increases your damage protection for a time. So in other words, you'll be able to quickly use all your skills quite a bit faster than waiting for them to recharge slowly.

Commando was described as more of a precision specialization. The Commando talent increases damage with all your weapons, but it gives you improved Marksman and Assassination skills, which are sniper weapon skills. So if you like the sniper rifle, it may be good to go with the Commando specialization.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I was going to add you to my friends list Dashui but I think I wont until I have Mass effect or I will cry everytime you come online.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    No idea about secret classes, but I have been to and moved on from the Citadel. Yes it's massive. But depending on your anticipation for action VS exploration, it can be either REALLY interesting with quests or REALLY boring without any BANG BANG BANG action.

It really reminded me a lot of Taris from the first KOTOR. On one hand it's a great big place to get lost in and do some side questing and lots of exploration and tons of backstory information on the universe and whatnot.

On the other hand, after the first little bit of action in the game, it feels kinda... well, not so exciting.

It's also worth noting that, having read ME: Revelation, I had a totally different mental image of what the Citadel looked like in my head. Bioware pretty much curb-stomped that mental image - the Citadel nothing at all like I expected. It's Citadeler.

I felt the same way... I knew they could never have it live to my expectations.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mad props to some hilarious thread titles updated every day by the way.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dashui wrote: »

Are the secret classes the specializations? As you level up, you'll eventually get an option to choose a specialization class. Basically, it just adds another talent to your list of talents that you can put points into. For a Soldier, I had the choice between Shock Trooper or Commando.

Shock Trooper is even more of a tank. Putting points into the Shock Trooper talent gives you more health and gives you improved Adrenaline Rush and Immunity skills, which just makes those two recharge faster. Adrenaline Rush recharges all skills, while Immunity increases your damage protection for a time. So in other words, you'll be able to quickly use all your skills quite a bit faster than waiting for them to recharge slowly.

Commando was described as more of a precision specialization. The Commando talent increases damage with all your weapons, but it gives you improved Marksman and Assassination skills, which are sniper weapon skills. So if you like the sniper rifle, it may be good to go with the Commando specialization.

What about the Vanguard class? That's the one I wanted to start with the most, but the lack of Assault Rifle just seemed to spoil the whole thing.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

What about the Vanguard class? That's the one I wanted to start with the most, but the lack of Assault Rifle just seemed to spoil the whole thing.

Vanguard has taken me some time to get used to...

You lack the assault rifle but you do get to specialize in the shotgun, which is badass. The problem I have with it so far is that most of your abilities are close range, however, it seems sort of counterintuitive to let things get that close to you.

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Tw4win wrote: »

Vanguard has taken me some time to get used to...

You lack the assault rifle but you do get to specialize in the shotgun, which is badass. The problem I have with it so far is that most of your abilities are close range, however, it seems sort of counterintuitive to let things get that close to you.

Which is why I'll probably go with a Soldier Shock Trooper when I get the game.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
This discussion has been closed.