As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Forza] Horizon 5 - That Went Well - Retired

• Kestrel1Kestrel1 falco sparverius Noblesville, INRegistered User regular
    Holy shit. BEST. CARPACK. EVER.

https://youtu.be/BwYNvB17EWs

2011 Hot Wheels Bone Shaker
    2005 Ford Hot Wheels Mustang
    2017 Ford Focus RS
    2015 McLaren P1 GTR
    1990 Ferrari #1 Scuderia Ferrari 641
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro Super Sport
    2015 BMW X6M

I only wish it had the Twin Mill and the Hot Wheels Edition Camaro in there as well.

Kestrel1.png
    Mixer: Kestrel1 | Twitch: KestrelTV
  • ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    Still waiting on the Reliant Robin.

Please, call me ebo.
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The Forza Apex beta would be super interesting to me if it weren't for the fact that UWPs don't support DirectInput, which means no wheel support.

Outside of the G920 I don't think there even are any high quality Xinput wheels available for the PC.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    The Forza Apex beta would be super interesting to me if it weren't for the fact that UWPs don't support DirectInput, which means no wheel support.

Outside of the G920 I don't think there even are any high quality Xinput wheels available for the PC.

Erm...that doesn't sound right (considering that UWPs is still a work in progress and its functions are still being expanded upon):

xuawnszlr83b.jpg

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    UWPs don't support DirectInput, which means every non-Xinput wheel will not work with Apex.

"Wheel support" in this instance means Xinput wheels only, which means that any wheel not specifically designed for the Xbox 360 or Xbox One will not work.

UWPs don't support DirectInput, which means every non-Xinput wheel will not work with Apex.

"Wheel support" in this instance means Xinput wheels only, which means that any wheel not specifically designed for the Xbox 360 or Xbox One will not work.

Thankfully this is PClandia, where workarounds for such things exist: http://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-use-old-directinput-controllers-in-new-xinput-games/

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Things may have changed, but the last time I checked Xinput wrappers only worked with controllers, not wheels, and even if you set the wheel to emulate an analog stick you still didn't get force feedback.

Things may have changed, but the last time I checked Xinput wrappers only worked with controllers, not wheels, and even if you set the wheel to emulate an analog stick you still didn't get force feedback.

From the page I linked:

"Settings are surprisingly detailed depending on how complex the controller itself is to operate, so be prepared to spend a little time calibrating that wheel and pedal setup before venturing out onto the streets of Los Santos."

Of course, why you would be using a wheel and pedal config to play GTA5 is completely beyond me...but that the article specifically mentions wheels, I would image that the Xinput wrapper works for thems. As for the force feedback part....sorry, I can't help with that one. The only I could find was the x360ce forums talking about looking into adding center-spring effects...but that was nearly a year ago.

edited May 2016
    I truly hope so. It's pretty embarrassing to release a racing sim on the PC (even in beta form) without wheel support, and having to do a workaround or hack to support 99% of the wheel market at some nebulous point in the future would just be ludicrous. The best option would probably be to include a custom wrapper within the game itself for every popular wheel they wanted to support (DFGT, G27, etc).

I played the original Forza on the Xbox, and the sequel on the 360, but other than that I haven't touched the franchise since (preferring the GT series on consoles and other sims on the PC in general), so I am curious to see what I have been missing.

SmokeStacks on
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    I'm just happy that I finally have a use for my Fanatec wheel again. I just don't have the time to play games anymore

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Kestrel1Kestrel1 falco sparverius Noblesville, INRegistered User regular
    OMG OMG OMG!

401175c446ad4bd78d4c5de79e389071?fit=max&h=1536&w=1536&s=ffdcf6f45879c567646ffa9bc0380e81

2LSiPMh.jpg

24 cars from the 2016 season
    New multiplayer modes
    New drafting and car spotting mechanics
    Homestead-Miami Speedway

Kestrel1.png
    Mixer: Kestrel1 | Twitch: KestrelTV
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Huh.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Huh.

I literally said the same thing out loud reading that. I would not have expected that. Also, looking at the Homestead-Miami road course layout, that looks a LOT closer to Sunset than Daytona does.
    So Sunset.

Also, 1st week Results from our multi-class test/very-mini-series. It was fun! Except for poor acid. *hugs for poor acid*. And informative for how to do multi-class in the future.

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    RIP acid.

edited May 2016
    So, this is not a post featuring the final results of the series (I'll get that done later today or tomorrow), nor is it info on a next series (response to the last series has dampened my eagerness to put in the work for that just yet), it is a post about the NASCAR Expansion and HOLY SHIT AMAZING May Content Update, both out TODAY.

NASCAR Expansion
    https://youtu.be/hGem4uzZPFM
    It's what was leaked earlier. I am sad about Homestead-Miami as that looks like an actually fun track we will never get to race on as a group (Hot Takes on VIR there, I know).

BUT, what we will ALL get, since it's a free update, is a drool-worthy wishlist of items and improvements in the
    May Content Update: (copied here for awesomeness)
    This update to Forza Motorsport 6 is our largest and most significant content update to date. Here’s a closer look at the new features and how they will make the racing experience better for all Forza 6 players:

HUD Proximity Arrows – New on-screen HUD arrows will provide players with information on cars in close proximity. Especially useful for players who prefer to use cockpit or hood perspective when driving, these optional HUD proximity arrows indicate surrounding traffic and will give players that extra chance of avoiding costly wrecks.

Drafting and Drivatars – Making the most of the draft is more important than ever in Forza Motorsport 6. Now, players will be able to feel the intense effects of the draft on their cars’ performance as they fight for every inch at close quarters. In addition, Forza Motorsport 6’s Drivatar opponents have been refined to manage the intricacies of tight pack racing at high speeds, where every inch counts.

Quick Stop – In racing, victory has always required quick reflexes. Forza 6’s new Quick Stop feature means that strategy will play a bigger role than ever. In Quick Stop race mode, all cars are required to take at least one mandatory pit stop before the end of a race. As the race unfolds, choosing an early or late lap for your Quick Stop can be the difference between winning and losing.

Rolling Starts – Now players will have the option to select a rolling starts option for races. Rolling starts offer an exciting alternative to traditional standing starts, giving the players the chance to experience the thrill of green flag starts at speed. Rolling starts also allow the grid to spread out, in turn reducing the number of first-corner accidents.

New Damage Option – For Forza players that love endurance racing, we’ve added a brand new damage option – cosmetic damage with fuel and tire wear. This option is ideal for players who want to experience the challenge of racing long distances while their fuel burns down and tires gradually lose grip, without having to worry about a single crash disabling their car and ruining their race results.

Holy shit. It's like they actually listened to us and more!

Bloodsheed on
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I mean ... rolling starts was the only thing they needed to say, but hey, I'll take it all. <3

If they didn't license ROLLING STAAAAART! from sega t10 is dead to me.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    the new damage option is just straight up smart

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    Man, I'd probably buy that pack in a heartbeat if they added a few cars from older NASCAR generations. I don't really like NASCAR because of the ovals, but it's a crazy series and the cars are nuts.

I will say watching even a video game shot of a nascar car with Napa auto parts branded across the side cresting Radillion and then a shot of it racing against an R18 e-tron on Le Mans is one of the weirdest things I've ever seen and still makes me tempted to buy the thing.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    That is an amazing update. I'm not sure what the drafting changes mean.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    lol I feel like rolling starts kills like 9/10ths of my competitiveness given that crazy acceleration is pretty much the only thing I ever have going for me :pop:

but seriously all of those things are great additions and I'm pretty sure every one of them was one that we've been like "wouldn't it be cool if we could have this" at some point in our group.

• JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    Well I finally got my G920 and can now play this game again. Still lots of activity Tuesdays/Thursdays?

edited May 2016
    JRosey wrote: »
    Well I finally got my G920 and can now play this game again. Still lots of activity Tuesdays/Thursdays?

Yep Tuesday/Thursday at 9pm EST. Just make sure one of us has you as a friend so we can invite you.

CommunistCow on
    edited May 2016
    JRosey wrote: »

What Cow said. I added you so will send a party invite if I spot you (feel free to join if I don't).

SBC Stingray Results. The "Alternate Scoring Results" is me playing around with bonus points for various things, partly to try to find someway to balance things out to shake up series results a bit, since they've all been turning out the same and I need to find more variation than "Did I Nerf Ebo Enough/Too Much". The biggest result, sadly, is "The '67 Stingray Is A Terrible Car". I swear it used to be good in older Forzas. At least all of the Group 2 S-Class races were really fun and at times super close (can't speak for Group 1).

I just got done trying out the new patch (not the NASCAR stuff, I'm in a similar mindset to Knight on that one). It is amazing, also large, ~1.5GB. Point by point impressions on the new features under the spoiler for long:
    HUD Proximity Arrows: Fantastic. When they first pop up it may feel a little weird, but once you get used to them (this happens quickly, they're pretty subtle) they work amazingly well at filling in some of that loss of situational awareness you get from Video Game Driving. It really works as just a "hey, there's a car around you, heads up" feeling without completely replacing the right stick.

Drafting and Drivatars: I don't know if they changed the physics on drafting but they sure as hell changed the feel. And by feel I mean FEEL: goodbye controller batteries. You shall never again wonder "Am I Drafting?". It really helps place your car though, you can really get a great idea about how you're getting in and out of the slipstream. Drivatars seemed smarter about it, but I don't race them enough to tell the difference.

Quick Stop: I am confused why they are not called Pit Stops, but whatever. They have done a LOT of work on this. It actually feels like pits are a part of the game now, not some tacked on thing 1% of the population is even aware of! They have sound effects! The UI dealing with pits is all new too. You now have an in-world HUD icon for the pit entrance, it alerts you when anyone pits by name and icon on the distance meter, warns both the person exiting the pit and anyone in the immediate area about merging traffic with an on-screen pop up. If you have mandatory pits on (which can be more than 1, looked like up to half the number of total laps), it will even warn you approaching the pit entrance on the second to last lap that it's your last chance to pit. When you're in the pits it even has it's very own info display up showing a TON of info about the other racers (if they've pitted, also icons for where they are compared to you on a nifty bar if they're passing the pit area), how long you're actually in the pits (wonder if 'ring uses a calender), etc.). Again, it's almost as if pitting is an important part of auto racing!

Rolling Starts: Interesting. Didn't make much of a difference with AI, but will have to see how it goes with real people. The biggest thing is your poor, poor gearbox.

New Damage Option: Why did it take this long to get this!? New default damage type, as far as I'm concerned. Maybe even for SBCs, we'll have to discuss that. A little unmentioned bonus: that useless tire heat indicator on the UI? The outline now changes color with wear, so it now works as we all assumed it would before release.

TL;DR= Great patch. Can we pit every race now? Please?

Bloodsheed on
    Like gimme some of

1981-nascar-4.jpg

these and one of

54ca812ae8fd0_-_nascar-6-470-0209-76022898.jpg

these I'm so in.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Yeah, I started patching a few hours ago but was only at 48% by the time we would start playing, so I rather missed the boat tonight. Womp.
    Thursday though, I'll be around (as far as I can figure, anyway).

edited May 2016
    they really just need to release this:
    mello3.jpg

So that I can be all like this:
    running.jpg

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    Bloodsheed wrote: »
    A little unmentioned bonus: that useless tire heat indicator on the UI? The outline now changes color with wear, so it now works as we all assumed it would before release.

Hey, that tire heat indicator was really useful when driving silly 'MURICA cars.

edited May 2016
    I got a ride in my coworkers 1957 ragtop sunroof beetle. He custom built a 150hp engine and lowered it until it handled better. So pretty and so fast.

p00m1xw1t6sh.jpg

vcdi18fa5isx.jpg

nhfna1ehykw2.jpg

CommunistCow on
    uh
    where's the break pedal?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    It's in that shot, it's half covered by the wheel and in shade. VW mounts their gas pedals to the floor and they're further up, but the brake pedal is still mounted normally.

Also I bet that car is real fun.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Also a little frightening because getting a wreck in that thing would be bad. The entire thing is a crumple zone with lap belts.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    That engine bay. Holy shit it is immaculate.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    edited May 2016
    They put out a patch yesterday, fixing what they broke, so rumble has returned! Huzzah!

Also, Next Serious Business Cup:

In time for the Indy 500 (by pure and utter coincidence, also not featuring Indianapolis Oval due to group dislike of ovals), it's SBC Season 4: Indy Car World Tour!

Cars: 2015 Honda or Chevrolet IndyCar

PI: 999

Required/Banned Parts: None

Schedule:
    WEEK 1- Thursday May 26th
    Race 1: Monza
    Race 2: Indianapolis GP Classic
    WEEK 2- Thursday June 2nd
    Race 3: Yas Marina
    Race 4: Watkins Glen
    WEEK 3- Thursday June 9th
    Race 5: Spa

---

I know I said elsewhere that I was looking to make the seasons longer, but in deference to the "If everyone else wants to do it, it's okay" responses from a couple people, we'll limit this to 3 weeks.

Anyone have an issue with starting it this Thursday? I figure since there aren't really "Pick and Build Your Car" stages for this one, since they're all the same with no parts to upgrade, we didn't need a run up, nor a shakeout/exhibition. Indy 500 next weekend also pushed my hand a bit. If people would rather delay it a week, let me know.

Also any issues on track choices? Watkins tends to get on a lot of schedules/all of them, but I figure since this is IndyCar and how much everyone likes it, it'd be okay. I went back and forth on the final week longer-race choice between Spa and Le Mans, so I'm open for switching that (or any of the others) up.

I figure we can work something slower/sane for after this.

Bloodsheed on
    edited May 2016
    Lets start this week!
    Don't worry I'll figure out a way to remove the restricter plate and kill myself even faster.

I love Watkins so I will always vote to keep it. I'm also afraid we were murder each other on Monza. Now with 30% less murder because of the new damage type!

CommunistCow on
    apparently there are some Forza 6 Connectivity issues tonight hopefully they'll be resolved by the time we're assembling.

apparently there are some Forza 6 Connectivity issues tonight hopefully they'll be resolved by the time we're assembling.

There is a patch, but otherwise it seems to be okay now.

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    I thought this was a PA race for a second: https://streamable.com/fbrq

That GT-R at the end is just like "FUCKIT RALLY!"

Is everyone somehow hydroplaning in the same place, or did someone leak a bunch of oil onto the track? That's an awful lot of cars going off in similar ways ...