As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    aggro shaman is seriously making this game not fun.

how can a deck full of overload cards have a perfect curve. . .like every single time?

totem golem followed by totem golem and I may as well just concede because the flamewreathed faceless is up next.

And completely unplayable without a coin.

Aggro Shaman is tough but winnable. You can do it Das!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    aggro shaman is seriously making this game not fun.

how can a deck full of overload cards have a perfect curve. . .like every single time?

totem golem followed by totem golem and I may as well just concede because the flamewreathed faceless is up next.

And completely unplayable without a coin.

Aggro Shaman is tough but winnable. You can do it Das!

i just can't find a deck to play with so the annoyance is really high.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Shaman are just really good right now. Beatable, but it's the new secret paladin in that it curves out amazing minions between turns 1-5.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I've barely even seen hollazeal on ladder, since why bother when you can win on turn 7 with your ridiculous board? Sighhhhh

Coinage on
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I guess. However, Hallazeal could definitely work as a Reno-esque reset button in the right deck.
    Hallazeal+Elemental destruction? BOOM. Back to 30 health.
    Incidentally he's just the right size to survive elemental destruction.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    As long as Shamans don't completely botch the early game and are able to Hammer Up on turn 5, you're done.

Edit: I'm not salty. I love playing aggro shaman. And Miracle Rogue. And Freeze Mage. Am I... Evil?

Sir Fabulous on
    pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    djFindusdjFindus Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Nzoth Paladin completely destroys Shaman so play that if you are seeing alot of them. My shiny new Tempo Warrior deck is 3-1 against them and my Dragon Priest was doing good against them too. The key is being able to deal with their early game and punish them when they overload (i e SW:D or Execute for Flamewreathed, Fiery War Axe for Trogg, SW:P for Totem Golem etc etc) because if the overload minions don't stick they are shit out of luck.

Shamans are also tricky because they are one of the classes with the best single target removal (hex) and burst with Doomhammer+Rock biter

djFindus on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I guess. However, Hallazeal could definitely work as a Reno-esque reset button in the right deck.

Happened to me this morning while I dropped 3 ranks.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

It's not that Hallazeal is bad, he's actually quite good. It's just that he doesn't fit into the best shaman lists right now because they don't care about controlling the board as much as getting onto the board and staying way ahead by dropping efficient minions.

I suspect that a control shaman list could be very strong because of Hallazeal, but why run that when you've got lists with 60-70% win rates and the games are ~5 minutes?

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Loran's Shaman is far classier.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Watching Miracle Rogue win makes me so mad.

That is not a deck that needed to be resurrected.

• Options
    Is Dreamhack not the Conquest format? Payton just won with his Rogue and he's using it again.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Is Dreamhack not the Conquest format? Payton just won with his Rogue and he's using it again.

It is not. It is "Last Hero Standing." When the deck loses, it's out.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Interesting. Does LHS have a ban phase as well?

• Options

Only watching off and on, but I've heard them talk about bans, yes.

Steam profile
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Hallazeal is in the midrange list I stole from somewhere. have not ever used the card... I hope it proves valuable at some point be it in this deck or another variation. I opened it last week and want it to be good.

and to be clear I've been playing the deck a pretty good amount for 2-3 days. have never needed to heal and been able to at the same time.

the biggest hitch with shaman right now I think is the lists getting refined and people getting accustomed to the differences. the two decks I have built, one is face and one is midrange. they SEEM similar, both have doomhammer and a bloodlust and things from the deep, but there are big differences in how they curve out and actually play.

of course, if you can't deal with an early 7/7 it's a non starter but lots of classes in fact do have ways to deal with that. you basically should be mulliganning for them imo, at this point.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    As long as Shamans don't completely botch the early game and are able to Hammer Up on turn 5, you're done.

Edit: I'm not salty. I love playing aggro shaman. And Miracle Rogue. And Freeze Mage. Am I... Evil?

Look, the rules of Hearthstone clearly state that you have to love either combo, control, or midrange and hate the others plus aggro decks. Get with the program!

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Oh god, I wouldn't wish Jasm's hand and draws on my worst enemy. This is just unimaginably bad.

• Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Oh god, I wouldn't wish Jasm's hand and draws on my worst enemy. This is just unimaginably bad.

Yeah I've been watching this and I had to turn it off. It feels very unfair and not really a battle of skill any more.

• Options
    envoy1 wrote: »

Yeah I've been watching this and I had to turn it off. It feels very unfair and not really a battle of skill any more.

It was...Firebat? I think? Some fairly accomplished pro...who said that skill in Hearthstone is 80-90% deck building. At the top levels pretty much everyone is making the optimal play every turn and it comes down to draw variance. The game has a pretty low skill cap.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    ive been rooting for chakki to do well in this tournament but he has been extremely lucky those last few games

ps the chat becomes such an awful toxic racist shithole whenever anyone non-white is playing, how on earth can they moderate that, jesus

• Options
    Beasteh wrote: »
    ive been rooting for chakki to do well in this tournament but he has been extremely lucky those last few games

ps the chat becomes such an awful toxic racist shithole whenever anyone non-white is playing, how on earth can they moderate that, jesus

Twitch doesn't moderate their chat, although individual channels can moderate it (some bother, some don't; many use Subscribers-only mode, which solves a lot of the problems). It is a complete cesspool. Like, it's basically 4chan in real time.

• Options
    1 in 5 for Terrence to get fucked, so it of course happens.

Why is Knife Juggler still a card Blizzard -_-

• Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »

Only watching off and on, but I've heard them talk about bans, yes.

Yeah, each player brings four decks and one gets banned out. Seems most are banning warrior and rogue a lot. Shaman and warlock have been having a great showing this tournament, along with warrior and rogue. I don't think I've seen one Druid or Hunter deck this tournament.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular

Look, the rules of Hearthstone clearly state that you have to love either combo, control, or midrange and hate the others plus aggro decks. Get with the program!

I believe that all deck archetypes can live in harmony!

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    edited May 2016

It seems like after the Paris attacks the chat of large channels went all in on being racist as fuck. Not that twitch chat was ever readable, but now it's unbearably unreadable. I guess it would be letting the terrorists win, but I really wish twitch would just delete Anele and TriHard.

Coinage on
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Ch9lF4lWMAAzcAX.jpg:large

Holy jesus this game vs a N'Zoth Paladin was INTENSE. Literally came down to the wire. Burned through my EE and Holy Novas keeping his post-fatigue board clear.

I was at 9 health, and had just hit 7 Fatigue. Next turn would be 8 Fatigue and I would've died. He had two 1/1s on board. Then I realized, wait, I can Entomb a 1/1 and delay Fatigue for one turn, and if he doesn't heal, I'm solid.

Ballsy plan, but it paid off. He wasn't able to do anything and Fatigue killed him instead.

I think he misplayed, though. I only had one card left (Entomb, though I dunno if he knew that), and he had 5 cards left. Surely he had some minions in there? Couldn't have all been just spells? Anyway, I think he was only running one Forbidden Healing, or something? Cause I only saw him play one. My Nefarian very clutchly drew a Forbidden Healing for me, and boy did I make use of that earlier. Oh, and my Shifting Shade drew me a Doomsayer, which I used to clear his Cairne/Lightlord.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Just give everyone the Legend back, that should stop the salt.
    No it won't.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Payton gets double Reno from Elise.

Only 1 more year until that terrible dumpster fire of an unbelievably bad card design is out of the meta!

(Elise, not Reno. I love Reno, I think whoever made Elise should be banned from ever creating a card in any TCG for the rest of their life).

(Payton lost)

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

Twitch doesn't moderate their chat, although individual channels can moderate it (some bother, some don't; many use Subscribers-only mode, which solves a lot of the problems). It is a complete cesspool. Like, it's basically 4chan in real time.

Tournament channels don't have "cultures" or trained mods, so they're essentially unmoderated. "Good" chats are usually enforced by having a lot of mods over time that set a standard of behaviour in the chat, and the occasional use of submode, but it takes a lot of effort on the part of the streamer.

But yeah. Occasional tournament/convention streams are usually hot garbage if not sub-moded. The PAX streams might be a unique exception.

hippofant on
  • Options
    Payton gets double Reno from Elise.

Only 1 more year until that terrible dumpster fire of an unbelievably bad card design is out of the meta!

(Elise, not Reno. I love Reno, I think whoever made Elise should be banned from ever creating a card in any TCG for the rest of their life).

(Payton lost)

But RNG is fun!

lol

Steam profile
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    let's all take a step back from the edge in here!

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    let's all take a step back from the edge in here!

I've taken enough steps back that I'm just playing overwatch instead of hearthstone

I feel like I'm a lot happier as a result

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular

It was...Firebat? I think? Some fairly accomplished pro...who said that skill in Hearthstone is 80-90% deck building. At the top levels pretty much everyone is making the optimal play every turn and it comes down to draw variance. The game has a pretty low skill cap.

i think this is true at almost every level of play, since you have so few playable cards in hand anyway there really aren't that many different plays possible. like even with 6 cards in hand, you may only have 2 to 4 of them actually playable and most of the choices are so clearly wrong or bad that no one does them.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7fneepdKy0
    Skip to 8:00 for the mega Gorehowl. I watched it live, a 9/5 Gorehowl is pretty good.

• Options
    Ketherial wrote: »

i think this is true at almost every level of play, since you have so few playable cards in hand anyway there really aren't that many different plays possible. like even with 6 cards in hand, you may only have 2 to 4 of them actually playable and most of the choices are so clearly wrong or bad that no one does them.

Disagree. We have people even in this thread that netdeck and can't make it to 15/10/5/Legendary. Nothing wrong with those players, but there is significant skill in playing at most levels.

It's just at the pro level that flattens and it's mostly the decks. Apparently

Steam profile
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Chakki won Dreamhack with a disgusting turn 5 win as zoo

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I've only had a few games with it but so far I'm liking the WoG Patron Warrior style more than the Warsong combo style. Instead of trying to set up one killer turn, there are more threats you lay down. Patrons and Frothings are still big threats but even if the opponent removes them Bloodhoof Brave, Ravaging Ghoul, Kokron Elite, the ooze from Blood to Ichor and even Wild Pyromancer are well able to chip away at the opponent to set up a late game Grom or Ragnaros.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    Just lost to a n'zoth reno rogue at rank 18
    thats enough hs for me today

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
This discussion has been closed.