As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Help me get a cool avatar

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Use the poop emoji

• Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    An avatar will define you. It will give you shape. A face others will use to judge you. Do not bow to the tyranny of identity! Only by rejecting avatars altogether can you stand on your own two feet and be judged not by what you look like but by your words and deeds.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    An avatar will define you. It will give you shape. A face others will use to judge you. Do not bow to the tyranny of identity! Only by rejecting avatars altogether can you stand on your own two feet and be judged not by what you look like but by your words and deeds.

...and then be confused with five other anon-ish looking posters in the thread, confusing most everyone at some point in their history here.

• Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Confounding maskbearers is a good thing. If they cannot tell who you are they must focus on what you're saying. Reject the lie that is persistent identity. The you that was is not the you that is nor the you that will be.
    There is only the present. There is only Shadow Gabe.

Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    So, the rumors of the Shadow Society are true...

This is troubling news. *sips from goblet and stares at a map of the Realm*

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Confounding maskbearers is a good thing. If they cannot tell who you are they must focus on what you're saying. Reject the lie that is persistent identity. The you that was is not the you that is nor the you that will be.
    There is only the present. There is only Shadow Gabe.

I love the lore behind this. :)

The bad thing about non-avatar posting is the frequency, especially in places like H/A or D&D, where non-avatar posters tend to be alts, paid posters, or other scandalous folk more often than not. Sometimes for an OP that's fine (especially in H/A), but in discussions I generally ignore anyone without an avatar since I've seen way too many deliberate sock puppets agitate people or provide astoundingly terrible advice. It also gets super difficult to tell who is agreeing or noting who in conversations, which really helps folk figure out how the conversation's context is working.

• SavgeSavge Indecisive Registered User regular
    What the hell is a paid poster?

People paid to post on forums? How do I get that gig?

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Savge, you've waited too long

nothing you choose now can live up to the hype

Savge wrote: »

Check your local classifieds, positions are as common as telemarketing gigs these days.

Xaquin wrote: »

Yea I've been worrying about this

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

Yea I've been worrying about this

It's okay, just do an avatar reveal on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter with the pieces jumbled into a mosaic that we have to unscramble before updating your avatar. That'll help build the hype.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »

Check your local classifieds, positions are as common as telemarketing gigs these days.

When I'm stressing about Help me get a cool avatar, I reach for Lipton Ice Tea! It cools me off with only 40 calories which is critical when I want to Penny Arcade.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2016
    At some point, you're going to have to pick something. I do have the ability to simply add an avatar for you.

I would pick something decidedly uncool, like a miscellaneous food item. Probably whatever I'm eating at the moment. Might be an avocado, I like avocados.

Iruka on
    edited May 2016
    Your avatar is pretty cool with the animation, I think I'd want something subtle like that.

Is there a way to see a grid of all the avatars people have? I'd like to see what's the most uncommon color.

Savge on
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    tumblr_nm1kr1c6J31rvtb8oo1_400.gif

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Your avatar is pretty cool with the animation, I think I'd want something subtle like that.

Is there a way to see a grid of all the avatars people have? I'd like to see what's the most uncommon color.

Yeah, just make a really great post and you'll see a decent size sample

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Make it a QR code that, when scanned, leads to a whole bunch of different avatars.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    The more time passes on this, the more I feel a small burning in my chest of unjustifiable annoyance.

*STARE*

sig.gif
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Basically, You have like three days before you're an avocado.

The Avocado of Damocles has been sighted!

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Iruka wrote: »
    Basically, You have like three days before you're an avocado.

Will it be an Iruka drawn original avocado, or just one you pull off GIS?
    Cause an Iruka Avocado may not be so bad.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    You can also just choose a theme. Some people change avatars pretty frequently but keep the same character or object as the theme. I recommend randomly choosing different Red Power Rangers and swapping from time to time.

You can also just choose a theme. Some people change avatars pretty frequently but keep the same character or object as the theme. I recommend randomly choosing different Red Power Rangers and swapping from time to time.

Interesting, any examples of people that pull this off really well?

I'm leaning toward a custom hand drawn Avatar but don't know if I want something simple or pro, probably a little animated though for sure.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Guys, this thread has given me a real crisis of confidence about my own avatar.

What is this I don't even.
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Well we didn't want to say anything

camo_sig.png
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

Nah, dog on crack is the ultimate avatar.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular

I'm leaning toward a custom hand drawn Avatar but don't know if I want something simple or pro, probably a little animated though for sure.

Cwrth in SE uses different images of Bert from Sesame Street

DarkPrimus uses Optimus Prime 'fanart'

I can't think of any more off the top of my head

• BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    Google Image search your first name and add "The Hedgehog"
    Whatever comes up first is the new you. Embrace it and get some chili dogs.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Bobkins Flymo keeps finding strange Waluigi pictures.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    BillyIdle wrote: »
    Google Image search your first name and add "The Hedgehog"
    Whatever comes up first is the new you. Embrace it and get some chili dogs.

Oh god. Spider the Hedgehog. Whyyyyyyyy

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    i think you should just cycle through zoolander poses

camo_sig.png
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    i think you should just cycle through zoolander poses

Dear god, it's beautiful!

I change my avatar every few months. Whatever my mood is at the time. I'll probably change it again pretty soon as I'm feeling less Kylo Ren and more Jabba the Hutt.

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Well, if you want go with the theme of this thread, you could use this (resized to 80x80 already, even):
    PlH78LA.png
    (weirdly, I can't think of anyone else who's done this, though I'm almost certainly just missing one)

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    There is someone, who's name escapes me at the moment, a D&D or SE poster, who has a 3 level recursive avatar similar to that.
    Munkus Beaver has some weird thing going on where his is just his name that somehow still functions as a link to his profile.

steam_sig.png
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

@Darkewolfe

We derpy dogs have to stick together.

Make your avatar a light blue square the same as the User area box.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Bobkins Flymo keeps finding strange Waluigi pictures.

Bobkins Flymo is a shapeshifter. He assumes new identities and leaves the withered husks of the past in old, locked threads.

Do not look him directly in the eyes.

What is this I don't even.
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    I found out there is a band called Avatar.

So we could assume that members of this band are called Avatars.

So we make an Avatar of an Avatar from Avatar....

2jW69Gu.jpg?1

BECAUSE FUCK YEAH WE ARE COMMITED TO THE BIT!!!

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Bonus point: He looks like what would happen if Alice Cooper got a juggalo pregnant.

This discussion has been closed.